rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Weeksie
Weeksie (IP Logged)

Rugby inside line rumour
24 April, 2018 12:14
Rumour of big news coming out of our soap opera of a club.....no more detail

Budicus
StuartMMoss (IP Logged)

Re: Rugby inside line rumour
24 April, 2018 12:27
Just tweeted by them...

“RUMOUR: We have been told by three separate sources this morning that Todd Blackadder will not be at Bath next season. Last night, another two said he was on the verge of being sacked.”

Francois Louw Adopted Player 2018-19
Luke Charteris -Adopted player 2017-18

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 12:56
It's odd, I know this is just a rumour and I treat it as such, but I really wasn't sure where I was with Todd continuing before reading this. Having seen it "in print" I do think it is the wrong choice. He should have one more year (whether this is true or not).

Certainly sacking him is wrong, it would be different if it were genuinely by mutual consent. I don't think it will be very productive for us in the long run.

Still, just a rumour at this point I guess.

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:00
Wouldn't be that surprised, to be honest. Yes the injuries have taken a significant toll, but the last few bad defeats have come along with some comments along the lines of players going off script in terms of game plan etc. No idea if it's players ability, or the coaching, or the inability to match the two, but it's clear stuff isn't right.

If as suggested Todd was always going to go back to NZ after 3 years, and the supposed Matson succession obviously off the table, then it seems a case of calling it quits early.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:03
Should have one more season in my opinion (Sm128)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:04
I think that my view will be dependent on who they have lined up to replace him. If someone good (with their good coaching team) has become available immediately maybe they are acting before they are off the market? Otherwise it does seem a bit strange.

The other issue is that I thought we would normally have heard some ST information by now? I think that all the other clubs have been open for a while...is this timing so that they don't send out a renewal and then the whole management team changes soon after? If I understood correctly it shouldn't be held up with the usual planning permission delays this year? Questions, questions.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:11
IMHO very sad if true - if TB is sacked then it proves that BC is no better than the joke that is Toulon in regards to owner interfering with the team and sacking coaches if team fails to win every game - what hope of success if there is no continuity - no shock that the best performing teams have settled structures both playing and management and the owners keep out of the playing side.a

badger1664
badger1664 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:16
Interesting, the rumour machine has a tendency to be pretty close to the mark. If he intended returning to NZ at the end of his contract then given that he hasn't really made any mark , what makes anyone think the next twelve months will get any better. Seen no evidence of significant improvement to date. If we wait and see what happens then at best were a year behind and back to square one. Difficult conversations need to be had and decisions made. Not sure Hoops is ready for the top job yet. We'll see what BC has in mind no doubt.

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:17
Of course he should be sacked. He is a very nice guy but an absolute failure as our DOR. This is a results business and he has failed to deliver.
I am sorry for the guy but we have got worse since he has been in charge.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:21
Quote:
nick holder
He is a very nice guy but an absolute failure as our DOR.

Despite that being his title, is that the role he has actually been performing? From what we have heard* he has been batting a sticky wicket since he arrived (lack of control, lack of budget, lack of coaches in the latter period).

*unsubstantiated rumours and heresay obviously

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:31
I doubt the many comments on here that BC and TM have blocked the recruitment of a replacement for Matson. As the owner of the cub why would BC want to see his asset devalued. They either have not been able to find a replacement or have not been convinced by TB's suggestions for the job. And yes TB has been the DOR and so ultimately the buck stops with him. He is boring me with his comments about how well they have trained and how the execution on the day was let down etc etc.
All I have seen this season is how well we have executed giving the ball away by kicking and then against Sarries by giving them the ball and waving them through for 4 tries. If tht is what has been practised all week then we are effing experts at it. What we are not expert at is keeping ball in hand. I don't think we have put on 1 decent performance in 2018, the last one was v Toulon at home, so yes he is responsible, 100%!

by
by (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:32
Hes had two seasons consisting of a constant injury crisis, the likes of which I've never seen before. Personally I think Blackadder has done a decent job with the players he has had available, however you can't deny that there has been a consistent problem with our skills and execution, which IMO has been the sole reason for a good number of our losses. If we managed to recycle a ball here and there, complete the tackle or slow the ball down we could have been in the top 4 for both seasons.

Not sure who is the right guy to replace Blackadder, if true, but I strongly suspect its not Hooper. If Bath want to start again, they need to do it right with a 3-4 year plan, aiming for top 4 in 2020.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

You absolutely could argue that we are now worse then when Todd joined two years ago. Add to that the fact that his plan appears to be to go back to NZ in one more year and it becomes an absolute no brainer to me.

Lovely guy but Bath need to do better.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

Add to that spending a season without an attack coach hardly been able to act as an DoR - on top of that there have been strong rumours of discontent between playing side and non playing side - all in all not what you would call a fair crack of the whip in terms of being labelled a disaster - I would challenge any coach in the world to thrive and produce under those circumstances.

Rokoholic
Rokoholic (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:33
Agree that we should give Todd one more season.

Anything else aside, our recruitment for next season is almost complete and the incoming players have hopefully - I know there are murmurings that BC involves himself too heavily in this - been selected by Todd and his backroom staff. Now, after 2 seasons of development, you would imagine that he has more or less been able to build a squad tailored to the style of rugby he wants us to play.

For example, many coaches would not go anywhere near signing Jamie Roberts in favour of a playmaking 12. However, Todd has always spoken about wanting to play with a big ball carrying inside centre, and in Roberts he finally has his man. This was supposed to be Fruean in 16/17, but he was injured almost the entire time. This season, our only such option is Clark, who has also been out the whole time.

I am not attributing all of this season's failings to a lack of a bruising 12, but I think it is an example of an area in which Todd has been unluckily hit with injuries in key positions. We simply have not been able to gain any sort of consistency in selection. Essentially, I believe that Todd now has the squad he wants and I think he should be given the opportunity to coach that squad. Changing coach would set us back a few years in terms of development.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:39
Playing with a big ball carrying centre has always been the NZ way - this allows the to create fast ball zand secondary pods to play further out in the midfield opening up both sides of the pitch, but you need the right players - Max is not that type of player yet. Still probably doesn’t work!!!

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:41
For me his biggest mistake thus far has been not bringing in an attack coach when Tabs left. Beside that his hand has been totally tied as he hasn't had any room to change the squad how he has wanted. Injuries, high wage bill, it's little wonder we haven't achieved as we should have been, and yet he is facing the sack?

No smoke without fire and all that, but should this indeed play out as is being suggested it will only further show us to be the laughing stock we are. Happy to chop and change to no end, no identity, unable to handle pressure when it matters most, biggest waste of talented players in the league. Give him a year for pete's sake.

Embarrassing.

Adopted Player 2017-18.....Semesa "Freak of Nature" Rokoduguni

by
by (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:41
Quote:
Rokoholic
For example, many coaches would not go anywhere near signing Jamie Roberts in favour of a playmaking 12.

Don't agree, I think a lot of coaches just like to get the biggest guys on the pitch and bludgeon their way over the try line, a tactic that has certainly benefited from the new ruck laws.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:49
There seem to be two camps on here ...

(i) No visible improvement in two years, no game plan, hugely inconsistent player motivation, seemingly clueless of how to get the team to perform like they do in training.

(ii) He's been the unluckiest guy ever with injuries, has had no input in the squad selection, and needs to be given the chance to prove himself next year before returning to NZ (to leave us having to do this all in a year's time).

I've come around to be firmly in the first camp. Todd has been unlucky but why wait to start the rebuild until next year ? Unless of course people think we're really likely to win something next year with Todd and his new ageing Welsh bosher at no. 12.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2018 13:50 by Beergoggles.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:57
I don't think RiL have a great track record on their rumours. Todd needs help not sacking, IMO.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

westondave
WestonDave (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 13:58
Is our injury crisis at least in part down to the extremely attritional style of rugby we've adopted. We don't commit to the breakdown so lose the ball so end up making more tackles per game - when we do get the ball we box kick it away (and yes that is definitely a coached strategy) so then have to make more tackles to get it back and then when we decide to run it, we give it to Tapuai to bludgeon his way through rather than playing an offloading game that minimises the big tackles we take because the ball is moving on so the opposition can't afford to commit so many to each tackle.

Maybe I don't know enough about this stuff, but whilst every team will go through an unlucky patch with injuries from time to time, ours is getting to the stage where you want to start looking beyond the gods for answers.

Martlet75
Martlet75 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 14:06
I'm very sad for Todd that it's not worked out, and he's certainly been unlucky with injuries - but for me it comes down to how many players are better now than at the start of his tenure.

Whatever you think of Mike Ford, he took a load of players who he and his coaching team turned into England internationals. On our day we were as good as anyone, breathtaking at times.

Under the current regime, we have seasoned internationals looking like they don't have a clue how they're supposed to be playing (other than hoof the ball up the pitch and hope for a decent bounce), and young team members looking like rabbits in headlights.

A real shame it hasn't worked out - but it needs a change.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 14:08
TB should be sacked based on his performance, trouble is what quality coach would want to take over the Bath madhouse. We have nothing to offer other than a potentially high salary.

Maybe BC should just appoint himself as DOR.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 14:16
What a novel idea!(Sm161)

With Hooper as his 'assistant' presumably?

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 14:22
This would be very disappointing news for me. Perhaps not for the reasons you would expect.

Although I would be sad that Todd Blackadder, who seems a thoroughly decent man, may lose his job, I am more disappointed that this has become an eventuality not a possibility. You do have to wonder why the club ever appointed him if the intention was always to only have him for 3 years and then he return home afterwards? I presumed this was heresay and it was actually just 3 years was his original contract length but if reports are true that he wishes to return home and it is relatively mutual then the recruitment of the club was completely wrong in the first place.

The other issue we now face, if this is wholly true, is that the quality coaches who may have come and imprinted a DNA onto our team are now taken or in contracts elsewhere. Vern Cotter is getting the big bucks at Montpellier. Johan Ackermann is at Glos. Dave Rennie has setup camp in Glasgow and more recently, fellow strugglers Northampton have bagged Chris Boyd which seems a real coup for them! Who do we turn to that has got a real rugby brain and impressive style of rugby which they would want to imprint into the squad here? Also who would want to come here given the lack of say that coaches seem to have in many elements of the squad building/recruitment policy. Are we becoming the Chelsea of the Aviva Premiership?

One thing is for certain - it needs to be someone relatively experienced and NOT a short term fix but a long term solution. 3 years is not enough. Let us make it a minimum of a 5 year agreement and let them fully invest their time into transforming the squad as they require and bringing a clear DNA to the way we play. For me we are not defensively poor but we do not have a clear attacking idea. Someone needs to take a look at the squad and bring some real excitement to what is clearly a quality group of players who are underperforming!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 14:23
Quote:
Beergoggles
(i) No visible improvement in two years, no game plan, hugely inconsistent player motivation, seemingly clueless of how to get the team to perform like they do in training.

(ii) He's been the unluckiest guy ever with injuries, has had no input in the squad selection, and needs to be given the chance to prove himself next year before returning to NZ (to leave us having to do this all in a year's time).

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. The injuries levels are objectively true, but the input in players is questionable. Likewise, the improvement - 5th last year to 8th this year - has just not happened.

We seemed to get through the first half of the season oscillating from a couple of good performances to a few bads ones, then it became scapped win followed by bad loss. But the last couple of months have been poor performance AND result wrapped up in one, repeated every week.

Can't remember a season - even Ford's last year - wherever I've wanted the season to be over so much.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 14:24
Let's wait and see. Rugby Inside Line also insisted that Halfpenny to us was definitely happening.

Does anyone, anyone at all, have any evidence that Bruce interferes in day-to-day coaching activities?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 14:29
Quote:
Ali1969
IMHO very sad if true - if TB is sacked then it proves that BC is no better than the joke that is Toulon in regards to owner interfering with the team and sacking coaches if team fails to win every game - what hope of success if there is no continuity - no shock that the best performing teams have settled structures both playing and management and the owners keep out of the playing side.a

I don’t think derogatory comments about BC are appropriate. There seem to more posters on here who agree with the decision than disagree which means that at worst it was a 50/50 decision rather than a crazy one.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 14:44
Quote:
Big Dog
. For me we are not defensively poor but we do not have a clear attacking idea. Someone needs to take a look at the squad and bring some real excitement to what is clearly a quality group of players who are underperforming!

Indeed. If it is true - and until confirmed it remans IMHO a very BIG if- then that must be the reason.

PG

P G Tips

Alex Davies: my adopted Player, 2018-19.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 14:46
Quote:
hasta
Let's wait and see. Rugby Inside Line also insisted that Halfpenny to us was definitely happening.
Does anyone, anyone at all, have any evidence that Bruce interferes in day-to-day coaching activities?

I think PGT confirmed at the meeting he attended that there was no interference, but heck why let facts get in the way of a good fake news moan!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 14:52
I don't understand what Hooper is getting the stick he is on this thread. From memory he was put in charge on the selection and tactics for the AW comp this year, well at least the group stage. We won 100% of those games and TB only got involved in the knock out stages when we only won 50%.

Need I say more...........

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 15:00
Quote:
nick holder
I don't understand what Hooper is getting the stick he is on this thread. From memory he was put in charge on the selection and tactics for the AW comp this year, well at least the group stage. We won 100% of those games and TB only got involved in the knock out stages when we only won 50%.

yes, you probably should, because we put out very strong teams and (just in some cases) won against kids. Tigers for example.

westondave
WestonDave (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 15:05
Quote:
nick holder

It is tempting to think its too soon for Hooper and also to wonder whether there is any issue between him and squad members he used to play with. On the other hand Exeter haven't done so badly with promoting a former player to head coach at around the age Hooper is now (albeit at that he got a season in the Championship to hone his skills before getting them into the AP). I don't see any long term mileage in keep picking up overseas coaches who inevitably want to go home after a few years. If we want to create a long term develop from within culture - bringing players through the Academy etc, we need that culture at the top as well. Hooper might not be the right choice but I'd certainly favour an up and coming English coach over the next cab off the rank overseas coach that just happens to have a big name.

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 15:06
IF, TB goes, then i would love to see Ben Ryan with Nick Kennedy, And get Rowntree in to do scrummaging or Joe Worsley back from france

I expect to get booed and chased with pitch forks.

It is just an IF

Andy Goode's body double.

Bring back rucking and speed up the game. Simples, for rucks sake.

Anyone.But.Tiggers.

Charlie Ewels - Adopted player 2018/19
Levi Douglas - Adopted player 2017/18
Tom Homer - Adopted player 2016/17

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 15:12
Quote:
Pie-Half
IF, TB goes, then i would love to see Ben Ryan with Nick Kennedy, And get Rowntree in to do scrummaging or Joe Worsley back from france

It is just an IF

The whole thread is an IF based on an unreliable Twitter source that has no track record.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 15:23
Quote:
Ali1969

I don’t think derogatory comments about BC are appropriate. There seem to more posters on here who agree with the decision than disagree which means that at worst it was a 50/50 decision rather than a crazy one.

Bath Hammer - then the same must be said of Toulon??? - We openly criticise (and that includes on this forum) a very wealthy owner who bought a team and tasted victory but now changes his coach like a jacket - If this rumour is true point out the difference please - and before you do you may want tp count up how many coaches(inc Dor's) we have had in the last 10 years. My main point is that we will never succeed to build a squad worthy of challenging any trophy without stability and structure especially in key positions like Head Coach/DoR - Fly Half, Scrum Half and Inside Centre - all positions we have swapped like football cards in recent times. IMHO changing TB now shows what a really desperate state the club is in...and more worrying for me how much we are adopting the Football well trodden path.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 15:38
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
Pie-Half

It is just an IF

The whole thread is an IF based on an unreliable Twitter source that has no track record.

Spoilsport.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 15:48
Whether this is true or not it still misses the point. We HAVE to appoint a head coach, the failure to fill this position seemed to me to indicate indecision up top.

It would not be Todd's replacement we need but a DoR and a Head Coach as a team. It's 2 positions that may or may not need filling.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 15:51
Quote:
Ali1969
Quote:
Ali1969

Bath Hammer - then the same must be said of Toulon??? - We openly criticise (and that includes on this forum) a very wealthy owner who bought a team and tasted victory but now changes his coach like a jacket - If this rumour is true point out the difference please - and before you do you may want tp count up how many coaches(inc Dor's) we have had in the last 10 years. My main point is that we will never succeed to build a squad worthy of challenging any trophy without stability and structure especially in key positions like Head Coach/DoR - Fly Half, Scrum Half and Inside Centre - all positions we have swapped like football cards in recent times. IMHO changing TB now shows what a really desperate state the club is in...and more worrying for me how much we are adopting the Football well trodden path.

The difference between Toulon and Bath is quite simple really. Toulon challenge for (and win) trophies, Bath do not.

robhumperson
Humpo (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 16:06
TB is not going anywhere for next season. That rumour is not true. There will be coaching additions, and maybe some changes, but TB stays.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 16:20
I once read that the best way to burn down a house was to douse a bunch of chickens in petrol, set light and send them off around the building. In their panic they set loads of fires everywhere and it is impossible to identify the source of the fire or the evidence

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 16:23
Quote:
gaz59
I once read that the best way to burn down a house was to douse a bunch of chickens in petrol, set light and send them off around the building. In their panic they set loads of fires everywhere and it is impossible to identify the source of the fire or the evidence

Interesting consumer advice.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 16:25
Quote:
Ali1969
IMHO very sad if true - if TB is sacked then it proves that BC is no better than the joke that is Toulon

I think we'd generally kill to be as much of a joke as the triple European Cup winners.

I agree with those saying that, if he's going after 3 years, we might as well get on with it now.

As gaz points out, there's never just one problem with such a desperate season as we've had - but a new coach will have players on their toes, and that's what we want isn't it?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 16:31
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
Ali1969
IMHO very sad if true - if TB is sacked then it proves that BC is no better than the joke that is Toulon

I think we'd generally kill to be as much of a joke as the triple European Cup winners.

I agree with those saying that, if he's going after 3 years, we might as well get on with it now.

As gaz points out, there's never just one problem with such a desperate season as we've had - but a new coach will have players on their toes, and that's what we want isn't it?

Are you advocating new coach, new DoR or both Opti?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 16:32
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
Ali1969

...or a new attack/head coach under TB!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 16:32
"(i) No visible improvement in two years, no game plan, hugely inconsistent player motivation, seemingly clueless of how to get the team to perform like they do in training.

(ii) He's been the unluckiest guy ever with injuries, has had no input in the squad selection, and needs to be given the chance to prove himself next year before returning to NZ (to leave us having to do this all in a year's time). "

I think I sit in between. I don't want to give him more time because of his luck, I just don't think you should write of ANY DoR after just two years, at least one of which wasn't that terrible. I would be entirely unsurprised if a DoR achieve little in their first year. I would say that any given season could have problems of some sort or just be subject to poor luck. So we're basically sacking him based on a single season. A single data point in many regards. I think that's foolish, but then we did the same with Ford... and Gold... and SIM.

I know it was tongue in cheek, but BC couldn't be DoR otherwise who would he sack when it isn't immediately brilliant? That's why he MUST appoint a DoR AND give him full control of the rugby, then he can genuinely hold him to account.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 16:39
Quote:
DanWiley
I know it was tongue in cheek, but BC couldn't be DoR otherwise who would he sack when it isn't immediately brilliant? That's why he MUST appoint a DoR AND give him full control of the rugby, then he can genuinely hold him to account.

As PGT stated in his minutes of the meeting at Farleigh TB does have full control. TB's mistake is not replacing TM but who knows maybe he wants the right man and maybe he isn't or want available!

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 17:18
Why are all the KFCs still standing?

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 17:50
"As PGT stated in his minutes of the meeting at Farleigh TB does have full control. "

Would you expect such a meeting to say anything else? If they SAID anything else the question in the public eye could easily move on to whether Todd really is the problem and then we are in trouble.

Ostensibly you have to have someone at the top of the chain who the buck stops with, and you have to say as much. That doesn't mean it is actually the case.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 18:18
Quote:
DanWiley
"As PGT stated in his minutes of the meeting at Farleigh TB does have full control. "
Would you expect such a meeting to say anything else? If they SAID anything else the question in the public eye could easily move on to whether Todd really is the problem and then we are in trouble.

Ostensibly you have to have someone at the top of the chain who the buck stops with, and you have to say as much. That doesn't mean it is actually the case.

So let's have the evidence of interference, otherwise it is just tittle tattle!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 18:31
Quote:
shipwrecked
Are you advocating new coach, new DoR or both Opti?

To be honest, I always think of Blackadder as being our head coach. I don't really know how to measure how a DoR is getting on anyway. I assume much of their work is long-term so it can't really be judged instantly?

But the workings of a head coach are fairly visible and evidential - are the team playing well? Do the results reflect the ability of the squad as a whole? We know the answers to those 2 questions.

And I genuinely don't see why a coach - handed the job of preparing a squad of professional rugby players to go out and play a game of rugby - should need very much time at all to take effect.

So change the head coach. You'll always get a short-term uplift. Then - i suppose - it's the DoR's job to try and convert those short-term results into something longer term.

In short - we definitely need a new head coach. But I don't really have a view as to whether Blackadder goes as part of that shuffle.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 18:46
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
DanWiley

So let's have the evidence of interference, otherwise it is just tittle tattle!

It's tittle tattle that won't go away though.

Didn't Dan Evans say he couldn't rule it out in one of his web chats?

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 19:00
The trouble is and I can only speak for myself in that I have been told by people who I consider to be friends there are real issues - however unless these players or officials break ranks and publicly state there are issues and at the same time pick up their P45 on the way out it will remain tittle tattle.

Dan Evans as OB states did intimate there are issues which I know is the case but he has been unable to publish what he knows for whatever reason - most probably the threat of legal action.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 19:21
"And I genuinely don't see why a coach - handed the job of preparing a squad of professional rugby players to go out and play a game of rugby - should need very much time at all to take effect."

I think having the wrong players to implement your game plan would be a fairly obvious example. If you've got a sniping 9 who isn't a great box kicker, then maybe your plan to kick the leather off it at all opportunities isn't going to work. But, because of his contract, you'll have to wait several years to bring in someone who can do the job.

There's plenty of tittle tattle based on abstract directions the club heads in on this board. It hard to see what concrete evidence you would expect to see? But in this case there does seem, to me, to be a consistent approach to a few areas that had persisted over a number of coaches, DoRs and even CEOs (or whatever Tarquin's role is). I'm not saying there is anything categoric, but it seems fair to speculate on.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 19:23
Quote:
Ali1969
The trouble is and I can only speak for myself in that I have been told by people who I consider to be friends there are real issues - however unless these players or officials break ranks and publicly state there are issues and at the same time pick up their P45 on the way out it will remain tittle tattle.
Dan Evans as OB states did intimate there are issues which I know is the case but he has been unable to publish what he knows for whatever reason - most probably the threat of legal action.

If that is the case, then there is little possibility of team building on the pitch. It is a bit concerning that we moved form one disjointed coaching team with Mike Ford to what appears to be, if Ali is right the current disjointed coaching team.

I my view I would be radical and do a complete clear out otherwise there is a risk of it happening a third time!

You do wonder what the common factor is though.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 20:17
Speculation is fine and great fun to discuss, but that Is all it is. We all have our sources and from what I hear the DoR has Carte Blanche on rugby matters but may be advised on legal aspects such as salary cap, medical jokers etc. I believe the game plan is his, not Bruce. I believe he picks the team with his coaches, not Bruce. Execution of his game plan, and skill levels are what is lacking and that is where Bruce can help or interfere by getting the right man that Todd can work with. I have the belief that Todd, Bruce and Tarquin will get there in the end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2018 20:23 by CoochieCoo.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 20:47
Its worth noting that, when TB was appointed, he did not bring in his own coaching team. He brought Tabs (who left) and worked with the existing coaching structure.

Perhaps a more general solution might be for the DoR to be the long term appointment who then brings in full coaching units as and when required. It is clear that (with a few honourable exceptions) coaching teams have a finite shelf life and part of the DoR's job is to judge when change is needed. Ideally, that DoR will also have a responsibility to develop and promote from within rather than just buy in talent. But if buying talent is what is needed...

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 20:54
Are the players entirety innocent?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 21:19
Quote:
DanWiley
I think having the wrong players to implement your game plan would be a fairly obvious example. If you've got a sniping 9 who isn't a great box kicker, then maybe your plan to kick the leather off it at all opportunities isn't going to work. But, because of his contract, you'll have to wait several years to bring in someone who can do the job

You’ve just described the world’s sh1!est coach Dan. Any reason why you gave him the job?

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 21:22
George Davis is innocent.

FLAP

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 22:13
Quote:
sid the seagull
FLAP

I have the Sham 69 version kicking about somewhere.

SPIT

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 22:19
Quote:
Beergoggles

I've come around to be firmly in the first camp. Todd has been unlucky but why wait to start the rebuild until next year ? Unless of course people think we're really likely to win something next year with Todd and his new ageing Welsh bosher at no. 12.

This sums it up for me.

The likelihood of Toddy turning things around in the 3rd yr when there are no discernible signs of sustainable improvements seems negligible to me.

That being the case all stakeholders will benefit from a separation after 2 years.

Let’s be honest, does anyone think that Todd would relish the idea of another year lik3 this.

Cut loose now and find a replacement.

BathHalfFull
BathHalfFull (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 22:39
I wonder if, given the lack of viable options (someone who can come and revitalise the club with a proper long term plan and a long contract and create something lasting) then perhaps it'll require waiting until after the World Cup when a few top coaches might become available. I love the idea of someone from within growing into the role but I fear Hoops isn't that man, at least not yet.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 22:45
As I said above swapping DoRs won't do it. We need a Head Coach, you can't assess Todd's season otherwise. Its pointless having a DoR unless you have someone to execute the plan.
Even Eddie J is realising he can't do everything.

wetside
wetside (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 23:02
TB will be DOR again next season. No ifs no buts.
Thank heavens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2018 23:03 by wetside.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

24 April, 2018 23:26
Quote:
sid the seagull
FLAP

In that instance but not, it turns out, of the two.further cases of armed robbery of which he was convicted.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 00:18
Tarquin confirmed at Banners leaving do that Todd is here next season.

Cheers,

Rich

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 03:18
Quote:
wetside
TB will be DOR again next season. No ifs no buts.
Thank heavens.

That may be the case. You evidently KNOW it is but why “thank heavens” especially if it is only for one year?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 07:16
Quote:
Bathbadger
Tarquin confirmed at Banners leaving do that Todd is here next season.

Oh dear another year of basement struggles then.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 07:27
Quote:
Shipwrecked
Its pointless having a DoR unless you have someone to execute the plan.

It’s pointless having a DoR in place for one year only, particularly when everybody knows about it.

It’s pointless having a plan to execute if that plan involves hoofing it up the field and then defending for the next 10 mins or until you concede a try.

The longer Todd is in place the worst we get but still people cry out for another year. Very disappointed we’re not moving forward.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 07:32
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Shipwrecked
Its pointless having a DoR unless you have someone to execute the plan.

It’s pointless having a DoR in place for one year only, particularly when everybody knows about it.

It’s pointless having a plan to execute if that plan involves hoofing it up the field and then defending for the next 10 mins or until you concede a try.

The longer Todd is in place the worst we get but still people cry out for another year. Very disappointed we’re not moving forward.

The point I'm making is "hoofing it up the field" works if the head coach has drilled the kick and chase and we win turnover ball!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 07:44
Todd is staying so we need to get on board with that IMO, but I am extremely anxious / excited to see who our new coaches will be and hope that it will be someone with a decent track record who can unlock the attacking potential of the team. If that is the case then I think (hope) that we will be a long way from OBs doom laden predictions for next season.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 07:47
Quote:
BathMatt53
Todd is staying so we need to get on board with that IMO, but I am extremely anxious / excited to see who our new coaches will be and hope that it will be someone with a decent track record who can unlock the attacking potential of the team. If that is the case then I think (hope) that we will be a long way from OBs doom laden predictions for next season.

The attack isn't our only problem, pretty much every aspect of the game has faults under this coaching team.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 07:57
Quite OB, so change a few players which we have done but most importantly change the coaching team. Other teams in this league are doing significantly better than us without the player resources that we have so there is no reason that the ‘right’ coaches can’t get us further up the league. Todd can then stick to DOR and leave the coaching to the new coaches.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 08:33
I agree we need to get rid of all the coaches involved this season as well. However what's the point of effectively a 1 season DOR appointment?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 08:42
Quote:
OutsideBath
I agree we need to get rid of all the coaches involved this season as well. However what's the point of effectively a 1 season DOR appointment?

Hasn't that been the plan all along TB to be here 3 years and then hand over to his successor, who now is SH?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Quote:
OutsideBath

Depends on who is available. I would prefer TB for the next season as a true DOR (not coach) than a knee jerk longer term appointment IF that is the choice.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

Quote:
OutsideBath

+1

wetside
wetside (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 09:13
Quote:
BathMatt53

+1

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 09:32
The thing which sticks with me is the "we need to sign 6 or 7 new players" thing. It was never really explained and all hope went out of the window after that. The resulting season was always on the cards and we are fortunate to have Irish in there to stop it getting even worse. Next season, if we do not sign some new players, we might struggle even more with a solid Bristol coming up.

MESSAGES->author
Griff (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 09:50
Couple things about the "rumour"

1. It's from Rugby inside line, who IMO are pretty poor with their "rumours"
2. It would be mad to get rid of TB, next season we have a squad of players which have the abilities TB wants to play TB style of rugby. By sacking TB, we would end up with another coach with players they didn't sign and another transition period!

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

Sam Underhill Adopted Player 2018/19

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 10:37
IMHO we should stick with TB but he desperately needs the suitable personnel in place to allow him to have a good crack at succeeding. On arrival the club was in turmoil - completely rudderless - alas a consequence of the Ford years - where he minimised the squad and refused to play or even acknowledge the academy players or the likes of KPN - Ford's last year in charge sowed the seeds of discontent - the damage was well and truly ingrained by the time TB & TM arrived.

To expect our problems to be turned round in 2 years is unrealistic - we have a small academy and they are the foundations (like a youth team) of the club Giving you the chance to implant the DNA of what the club is all about at a young age with a view to keeping the player at the club - the idea is then they are integrated into a first team squad and spread the ethic through the imported stars!! Something the Tigers and Exeter have done really well over the years.

We have had 10 years or more of real turmoil the club needs stability and direction not a decision to tear up the latest plans and start all over again. We need to have a long term plan which we actually stick to - there will be hard times - I am hoping this is what we are experiencing now. So for these reasons I hope TB staŷs next year and longer if possible.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 11:07
Is his plan to be here long term, even if he is a big success next season?

Long Term
Long Term (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 11:17
If the plan is for Hooper to be D.O.R after one more year of gaining experience ,I would not expect any coaching changes for next year. Hooper will want to bring in his own team and any new coaches appointed this year would either be only here for one year or be taking the risk of advancing their reputation under the direction of a untested D.O.R .

cir mhor
glenashdale (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 11:45
'We have had 10 years or more of real turmoil the club needs stability and direction not a decision to tear up the latest plans and start all over again.'

Didn't Bruce Craig buy the club in 2010? Are you suggesting that he has presided over 8 years of turmoil? That's not very good, is it?

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 12:37
well I will not be renewing if there are not significant change to the coaching staff for next season. Had enough of this shambles

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 14:25
At this point in the season I'm finding it hard to care one way or another...whatever

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 14:28
I agree Nick.

Frankly the bs on here about DOR vs Head Coach holds little credibility for me.

Matson went months ag, do you honestly believe that if the posts were so critically exclusive that he would not have replaced TM during all of this time?

Lunacy,merely a grasping straw for those drunk on the koolade.

If Todd has truly resided over that situation knowing how crucial the HC role is then his shocking judgement is enough to demonstrate that it’s time to walk.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 14:59
Quote:
Kidney Stone

So explain why this season is worse than the previous.

DoR and Head coach roles combined does not work, there are not enough hours in the day. Example: Stuart Lancaster took Danny Care when he was a coach and spent time with him purely on his passing to develop length and speed. When he had a decent pass he asked him to repeat the work with a wet ball, when he had mastered that he added washing up liquid to the wet ball to make it slippery and repeated the drill.

When Care was in the England squad and SL was DoR he had minimal contact.

A DoR can't be expected to do both, Todd's mistake was to think he could, Bath's mistake was to believe him.

bathboyinmidlands
bathboyinmidlands (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 15:26
I have been going back and forth on this one and have mostly been of the view that TB needs to go as this season has been abysmal.

However to be fair to him we don’t really know if he is a good DOR or not as others have rightly pointed out he has been trying to do too much.

Listening to Kennedy speak a while ago about the demands of being a DOR I don’t see how on earth you can do that and be head coach.

So I think I have come down on the side of him staying but clearing out the coaching staff as that to me is the real issue here rather than TB himself.

Perhaps he has tried to take on too much as he doesn’t really have faith in his coaching team (pure conjecture but I would be very worried if he rates them highly).

So for me the absolute key is to get a new coaching set up in place and offload booth and Edwards and TB bring in his own team, let TB focus on being a DOR while developing someone into that role (not sure if Hoops is that person or not) and see what that brings.

If the current coaches stay then god help us!!!

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 15:51
One of my wtf moments with TB was at the AWC final. We got into the shed 30mins b4 kick off and watched the warm ups. Exeter were doing their man on man phase play as their warm up with increasingh intensity and were match ready at ko whilst TB was coaching Chris Cook on box kicking. Exeter scored a try from a lineout with their first thrust into our 22 and were 13-0 up after 15mins and the game had got away from Bath. I was unsure about TB's appointment and have seen nothing in nearly two seasons to suggest he can turn it around.

In fact our star studded squad [Lions, internationals from Aus, Eng, Samoa, SA, Wales] is much less than the sum of its parts and I'm baffled by our game plan. I've almost given up the will to watch and fear a hiding at Glaws. I will be at the Irish game but they may be down by then with nothing to play for or we might confirm their drop if results go their way this weekend. Not the end to season 17-18 I was expecting...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 16:25
Quote:
Shipwrecked
The point I'm making is "hoofing it up the field" works if the head coach has drilled the kick and chase and we win turnover ball!

That's a reason to renew then. A year of perfectly executed 'hoof and chase' rugby. Bring it on.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 16:43
I believe at the Banners evening Tarquin not only confirmed that TB was staying but they had found a replacement for Tabs but cannot name him yet.

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 16:53
TB spotted at Browns in Bath on Friday with some official looking people in suits.. No cameras so not TV so maybe lawyers. Can't beat a bit of gossip and rumour...

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 17:24
Surely all of us had/have objectives at work? Achieve and big bonus is given, fail and P45 is given.

Have all our coaches not failed this season?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 17:30
Quote:
OutsideBath
Surely all of us had/have objectives at work? Achieve and big bonus is given, fail and P45 is given.
Have all our coaches not failed this season?

its not their fault, it was the injuries and TM leaving, they did a marvellous job, the £750 quid I spent on season tickets was money well spent

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 17:33
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Shipwrecked

That's a reason to renew then. A year of perfectly executed 'hoof and chase' rugby. Bring it on.

Well Scarlets ran the ball at every opportunity against Leinster and where did it get them.
Are you going to dismiss "kicking for position" rugby simply because it is badly executed then?

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 18:33
It’s not the losing that has been so depressing, it has been the regression. People are pointing to Matson as the lynchpin of our failure but we were lucky to win a number of games early season. The most effective set play we had was “get Rocco the ball” and I would suggest his injury has been far more harmful to our season than Matson leaving. Where Matson did seem to have an impact was mental strength which he definitely packed in his overhead locker when he went.

Blackadder has presided over a complete shambles and carries that can. Connelly, Ashton, Meehan and Ford all built an identity, not one that delivered silverware but I think they all ‘fell short’ rather than ‘failed to launch’ which is where I see us being after two years under Blackadder.

If he is here next season, he’s best have a plan beyond rugby because another season of that tripe and may will find himself unwanted in the game.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 19:42
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Kidney Stone

So explain why this season is worse than the previous.

DoR and Head coach roles combined does not work, there are not enough hours in the day. Example: Stuart Lancaster took Danny Care when he was a coach and spent time with him purely on his passing to develop length and speed. When he had a decent pass he asked him to repeat the work with a wet ball, when he had mastered that he added washing up liquid to the wet ball to make it slippery and repeated the drill.

When Care was in the England squad and SL was DoR he had minimal contact.

A DoR can't be expected to do both, Todd's mistake was to think he could, Bath's mistake was to believe him.

So, revert to the third line of my original post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/04/2018 19:46 by Kidney Stone.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

25 April, 2018 19:49
Quote:
ken_jnr

Blackadder has presided over a complete shambles and carries that can. Connelly, Ashton, Meehan and Ford all built an identity, not one that delivered silverware but I think they all ‘fell short’ rather than ‘failed to launch’ which is where I see us being after two years under Blackadder.

If he is here next season, he’s best have a plan beyond rugby because another season of that tripe and may will find himself unwanted in the game.

Yup. Just about covers it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net