rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

SotonHoop
SotonHoop (IP Logged)

New pitch plans
16 May, 2018 08:23
Hi everyone, am new to the forum, been attending games of mayb 3 or 4 times a season fir last 12 years or so, just wondered what everyone thought of ideas re a synthetic pitch? Personally I would hate that, it just isnít rugby, the wet the mud the bounce itís all part of the game. I understand the need to be able to use the ground for the community , mayb a part grass hybrid like most football grounds would be the answer. Anyhow looking forward to the development news, canít wait for a design for the ground, an ideas when we may see anything ??

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

Re: New pitch plans
16 May, 2018 08:44
Welcome SotonHoop

See Stadium Development thread, plus plenty of updates here:

[stadiumforbath.com]

PG

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

SotonHoop
SotonHoop (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 10:06
Thanks P G, I have read few articles indicating that they will be discussing type of pitch but as I say I would prefer grass or in these days of progress a mixture of grass and synthetics. Canít wait for progress reports all the same.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 10:24
Desso does seem to have the right balance of strength whilst looking natural IMO. Still not a fan of the fully plastic pitches - some of the burns the players carry by the end of the game look pretty unpleasant too.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 10:59
If the OP is concerned about it not feeling like proper rugby we should return to the authentic 1990s Rec experience complete with standing on a wobbly scaffold, two week old 6X at the clubhouse bar (in fact the only bar), and the 1920s crackly PA system. Those were the days.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 11:21
Living up to your name BG?

PG

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 12:04
Still have flashbacks about that first pint of 6X after a few weeks without home games. It was usually minging but the club had absolutely no qualms about flogging it to the paying punter.

The rec experience has improved immeasurably in the BC era although I maintain that 2016/2017 was the peak experience. There was an extra toilet block behind the terrace and there was no blooky Chorizo in the sausage rolls. Now those were the days.

MESSAGES->author
plong (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 14:09
Call me old-fashioned, but rugby is a game to be played on grass! (also, if we are the only club without 4G (surface!), we will have the advantage!)

Adopted Players
2017-18: Sam Underhill
2016-17: Will Homer

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 15:26
It would be interesting to see a poll if that hasn't been done. I would hope that the vast majority would want grass or more probably Desso and based on comments here would expect that sort of vote.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 15:35
I'd probably marginally favour Desso, but the huge advantage of an artificial pitch is that it can be used every day, which is both a revenue stream and an opportunity for other groups/teams/sports to use it.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 15:49
For the uninitiated what's the difference between a Desso and an Artificial pitch ? I have a distance recollection of what grass is having had some once before the moss took over.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 16:04
Desso is what they have at the Aviva, for example. Grass pitch with a gazillion little plastic grass-like strands poked in.

[www.dessosports.com]

Also Ashton gate - good photo of just the desso

[www.bcfc.co.uk]

4G is a 'fibre-grass' fully syntheric surface like Sarries or Newcastle have. The new generation of plastic a mile away from the sandy plastic 3G that we played on in the 80s.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net