rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

by
by (IP Logged)

Letter from Tarquin
16 May, 2018 15:28
[www.bathrugby.com]

Quote:
Tarquin Mcdonald
Firstly, I’d like to thank you all for your loyal support throughout the 2017/18 season.
We started the campaign strongly with our first victory in 14 years at Welford Road, which was soon followed by another big performance against Saracens at the Rec a week later. Unfortunately, we were not able to deliver the consistency required at this level, which was disappointing and frustrating for everyone at the Club.

Whilst we showed that we can compete with the best in Europe with our victories away at Scarlets and then back at the Rec before Christmas against Toulon, we also lost games that we should have won, particularly games at the Rec in front of a full house of passionate supporters. Thankfully, our form in the closing weeks secured us Champions Cup rugby for next season with a couple of great results away to Gloucester and at home to Irish.

We possess an abundance of riches in terms of our squad, our coaching and support staff, passionate and loyal support, a proud heritage of success, and the opportunity to play our games in the heart of a rugby city. Everyone at the Club has a deep desire to win.

Whilst the players have the opportunity for a few weeks of rest before pre-season begins, management are working hard reviewing the season that was, and putting in place the plans for 2018/19. Significant thought and analysis is being given into what made certain teams successful, and what trends may emerge for 2018/19 in terms of how the game is played and refereed, to provide the best possible context for our pre-season planning and preparation.

During the 2017/18 season themes emerged around our attack, injuries and psychology and we also see opportunities in terms of scouting new talent. We have invested significant time and effort in determining how best to respond in each of these areas. The appointment of any member of staff is an important one, particularly in a close knit team environment and where long-term contracts are standard.

You will have seen the recent announcement regarding the appointment of Girvan Dempsey as Attack Coach, fresh from his coaching role at Leinster and Champions Cup success. Todd, Stuart and myself have spent significant time with Girvan ensuring the fit feels right for Bath; and importantly that it also feels right for Girvan, his wife and young boys. Girvan thinks deeply about the game, he also demonstrates fantastic abilities as a practitioner of coaching, he has experience of what it takes to win both as a player and as a coach, and he brings excellent knowledge having worked with the likes of Joe Schmidt, Michael Cheika and Stuart Lancaster. We warmly welcome Girvan and his family ahead of the pre-season.

We are also delighted to welcome Pierre Broncan and his family to Bath from Toulouse where Pierre has held the role of Head of Recruitment for the last three seasons along with coaching responsibilities for attack and defence. We believe that there is increasing value and opportunity in the scouting of playing talent, an area we have not fully exploited. Pierre is highly-regarded in the sport for his reputation of seeking out raw talent at an early stage from both the amateur and professional game. The addition of Victor Delmas to our front row ahead of next season is thanks to Pierre. He also brings excellent coaching and analysis experience. Pierre’s role will include scouting young and new talent in England and other territories as we look to expand our squad within the constraints of the Salary Cap, strategic analysis around game trends, and involvement in the coaching and preparation of our pathway developmental teams enabling Stuart Hooper to focus on our senior squad.

The nature of the game, the collisions, and ball-in-play time have led to injuries becoming an ever more significant part of the sport and due to this we have decided to bring a fresh perspective to this area of our resource. The appointment of a new Head of Medical and Rehabilitation forms part of our strategy to further develop rigour and evidence-based practices not only around our return to play processes but also our approach to the squad when they are fit and well.

We are also focused on appointing a dedicated sports psychologist to provide support for players as individuals, for the players collectively, and to the coaching and support staff in terms of the messaging and transference capabilities.

We will share more information regarding these appointments in the near future, both of which will support us to deliver against the Rugby Plan which the coaching staff are working hard to put in place ahead of the new season.

You will see from Todd’s note that the 2018/19 season will benefit from some exciting recruitment and the return of several long-term injured key players. We are also very excited by the work of Andy Rock and everyone in the Academy team in terms of our player pathway and the pipeline of emerging talent that is being developed. It is our stated ambition that we want a minimum of 50% home-grown talent in our First Team squad. We believe that by building our team around a core of passionate young men with a deep connection to their club and their community, that by layering in world-class talent in key positions with players who can not only deliver world-class performances but also mentor our home-grown players, we can build a very powerful squad proposition for years to come.

I am acutely aware that Friday night games have been a key consideration for many of you. Our stated and clear preference for games is Saturday afternoons. In a typical season an average of six games will be moved from Saturdays. I have had robust discussions on this topic with Premiership Rugby and I would like to make the following points:

We will work with Premiership Rugby to ensure that we do not bear an unfair proportion of non-Saturday fixtures compared to other clubs
Where fixtures are moved we will work closely with Premiership Rugby and EPCR to ensure they move one in three games to a Sunday, two in three games to a Friday (this is driven by recognition of the impact of our games on our near neighbours who are very strongly averse to Sunday fixtures)
We will work with Premiership Rugby to try to limit the ‘bunching’ of moved fixtures
You will see that we are looking forward to the third year of the Clash in 2018/19. This fixture provides one day in the calendar which opens club rugby and Bath Rugby to a significantly wider audience, provides an inspiring opportunity for hundreds of children to play rugby on the Twickenham turf, and raises significant sums for our Foundation. We will continue to offer a refund of the relevant portion of your season ticket for those of you who are unable to attend.

Off the pitch, we've made great strides with the new stadium and to secure the Club’s future in the heart of our city. We look forward to sharing emerging designs with you in the near future. It is our intention that the new stadium is a brilliant new home for Bath Rugby that you are all proud of, and that it contributes to amateur sporting participation and a broader community legacy. We continue to work closely with the Supporter Steering Group as part of the design process, and we thank them for the time and commitment they have given to the project. We intend to submit a final design for planning approval before the end of the year and we will be consulting with you and the city throughout this process.

Thank you for your passionate and loyal support. We hope that you will join us for the 2018/19 season.

Sounds very encouraging.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Re: Letter from Tarquin
16 May, 2018 15:33
Very professional. I know the Banahan thing (rightly) annoyed a lot of people, but I'm increasingly impressed by what's coming out of Tarquin's office.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 15:39
Are you sure he doesn't read COML?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 15:46
He told me he did!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 15:47
Quote:
Mike The Taxi
Are you sure he doesn't read COML?

He surely must do !

All he needed was to reference the search for an attritional lock forward to charge around the field punching people and we'd have the full house of 'complaints' from this board. I had renewed before reading this but very pleased to read nonetheless.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 15:59
Yes a good presentation of a lot of information surrounding Bath Rugby and its development.

Sorry to be ignorant but where does the employment of all the additional coaches and backroom staff sit in relation to the salary cap? Is this inside or ouside the cap?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 16:05
Only players are in the cap.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 16:05
outside

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 16:06
Agreed- very encouraging.

he confirms something I heard earlier today. The discussions on the two additional appointments he mentions - Head of Medical and Rehabilitation plus sports psychologist are under way. They are described as "more exciting news".

We should hopefully hear more in a couple of weeks.

PG

P G Tips

Alex Davies: my adopted Player, 2018-19.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 16:20
Quote:
BathMatt53
Outside

Maybe you're the punchy lock we're looking for BathMatt. Scary.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 16:27
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
BathMatt53
Outside

Maybe you're the punchy lock we're looking for BathMatt. Scary.

Sorry, I lose it when people start talking about whether coaches are outside the cap...

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 16:52
I lose it (literally) when I see coach drivers wearing caps. I call it ‘doing a Jackson’ (Pollock).

SPLAT

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 16:57
Professional and I quite appreciate the honesty behind it. Have growing respect for him after that.

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 17:05
Quote:
hasta
Very professional. I know the Banahan thing (rightly) annoyed a lot of people, but I'm increasingly impressed by what's coming out of Tarquin's office.

Really? Letter wasn't any more professional than I would have expected from a top level club and didn't mention how he personally plans to do better in future.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 17:09
My point is that it is exactly as professional as I'd expect from a top level club, which we haven't seen before.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 17:12
Quote:
hasta
My point is that it is exactly as professional as I'd expect from a top level club, which we haven't seen before.

OK take your point and totally agree it's what we would expect from a club of our standing, but not something that overly impresses me from him.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 17:34
It's what I would expect on renewal day, for sure. This letter and the list of the new exciting talent coming in...

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 17:45
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
hasta

OK take your point and totally agree it's what we would expect from a club of our standing, but not something that overly impresses me from him.

I think the letter covers pretty much everything we would expect in a professional way. What would he need to say to impress you?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 17:51
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
hasta

I think the letter covers pretty much everything we would expect in a professional way. What would he need to say to impress you?

Solving the Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer Conjecture whilst escaping from chains underwater and signing I'm 'enry the eightf would get somewhere close...

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 18:19
Quote:
BathMatt53

Solving the Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer Conjecture ....... would get somewhere close...

Would that explain the engineering behind Donald Trumps hair?

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 18:21
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
hasta

Solving the Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer Conjecture whilst escaping from chains underwater and signing I'm 'enry the eightf would get somewhere close...

Can 'enry the eightf" cover all of the back row?

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 18:30
Yes, terrible with his left foot though.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 18:57
I don’t feel that TM merited the criticism for everything that went pear shaped expressed by certain supporters. He has always appeared to me to be very professional & approachable & has accepted that he didn’t handle the Banahan saga in the best way.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 20:08
A good letter from TM and nothing more than I would have expected from the leader of a top class sporting organisation. Very positive on many fronts and now he/the club and the players have to deliver. We cannot have yet another season of huge expectation and aspiration that turns into another season of what might have been, for many reasons, and of 'we will learn from this' and building for the future.

We have got to be looking for a minimum of a top 4 finish, a resigning and retention of our 'stars' including keeping Todd. A good run in Europe would be nice but a top finish is probably beyond us at the present. No more excuses, and the league must take precedent.

There are things which the letter doesn't mention or address which is a little worrying but if all he says comes to fruition, that will be good. If not, well the consequences may include his own position along with a number of others!

Lets hope things go well and I for one will be rooting for the team in my 40th year as a season ticket holder. I bought mine before I read his letter!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 20:47
We would certainly hope for a top 4 finish but if we can see a significant & sustained improvement in the areas which have concerned us this season that is more important in my view than threats of dismissal if we don’t reach a certain position the league.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 21:16
Well done Tarquin, but why has it taken 6 months to realise the need for an attack coach and several seasons to realise the need for a sports psychologist?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 21:21
It didn't take 6 hours let alone 6 months to realise the need for an attack coach; it just time to find one, secure him, and wait for his existing commitment to finish.

As for the psychologist, I'd guess that the answer is that Tabai was dealing with that aspect as an area of personal interest - and doing reasonably at it by all accounts; and it was something that needed fixing in his absence, and once that lack had really been felt by Todd, along with all his other duties of doing two jobs through the season, before the hunt could really start. Before that of course, Mike Ford didn't want one, hence he got rid of the one we had.

Mind you, if you're determined to find something to be unhappy about, at least it's something off topic for this thread.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2018 08:18 by Which Tyler.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 21:31
The sports psychologist left in Ford's time!

by
by (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 22:45
With the squad we have now, we should be competing on all fronts.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 08:17
Quote:
Boldangrey
Hence the words I used - or does the phrase "Mike Ford didn't want one, hence he got rid of the one we had." somehow manage to mean something different if you're trying to be negative?

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2018 08:17 by Which Tyler.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 08:51
Quote:
Which Tyler
Quote:
Boldangrey
Hence the words I used - or does the phrase "Mike Ford didn't want one, hence he got rid of the one we had." somehow manage to mean something different if you're trying to be negative?
Mate, there are some people that would moan about the colour of the stationery he used if they couldn't find anything else......

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 10:00
I'm not in the least negative about Tarquin's message, I am absolutely delighted.

If you look back at my posts they are almost all very positive in a season which has seen a massive amount of negativity on this site.

My point is simply that it has taken so long to react to what has for many been blindingly obvious, the need for an attack coach and a sports psychologist.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 10:03
Hopefully the gamble of waiting for the right attack coach to become available will turn out to be justified, having scraped into the European big cup and now having one of the best for hopefully some time to come.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 10:10
Quote:
Boldangrey
I'm not in the least negative about Tarquin's message, I am absolutely delighted.
If you look back at my posts they are almost all very positive in a season which has seen a massive amount of negativity on this site.

My point is simply that it has taken so long to react to what has for many been blindingly obvious, the need for an attack coach and a sports psychologist.

I agree BNG, I think you have.

To be fair though - the attack and psychologist issues were acknowledged in February -see Supporter's Forum at Farleigh thread - so the club had clearly been thinking about them for some time. They made it clear then that they were looking for the right candidates.

PG

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 10:51
Quote:
P G Tips
Quote:
Boldangrey

I agree BNG, I think you have.

To be fair though - the attack and psychologist issues were acknowledged in February -see Supporter's Forum at Farleigh thread - so the club had clearly been thinking about them for some time. They made it clear then that they were looking for the right candidates.

PG

(Sm128)

Bath Supporter Jack

17 May, 2018 12:15
I am enjoying reading this Board at the moment because the gloom and doom, has, for a moment, been banished(Sm128)

Bath Supporter Jack

17 May, 2018 12:15
I am enjoying reading this Board at the moment because the gloom and doom, has, for a moment, been banished(Sm128)

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 13:35
To translate Tarquin's excellent letter into just 4 words from Bruce to the players

No F'ing excuses now!

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 14:46
Not Sad.

Yet(Sm100)

badger1664
badger1664 (IP Logged)

18 May, 2018 13:27
A very articulate tome that you would expect from someone at that level. He says they will be looking closely at what made clubs successful over the last season. It may be picky but I would have preferred to read what has made clubs consistently successful over previous seasons , not just the current one. We did start the season in great order but our yo-yo style of performance soon took over, and normal service was resumed. I want to see stability and consistency at all levels. Todd hasn't produced the results that we expected and he has only one more year to show what he has promised. I hope he can. The last thing we need is yet more upheaval of the coaching setup. On that subject , the appointment of a quality attack coach is perhaps the most positive result of the whole season and being completed so early means that he has the whole of the summer break to build. 2018/19 could be very interesting indeed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net