rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

Ruaridh McConnochie
10 July, 2018 17:13
Our lad named in the latest England 7's squad.
Is that allowed - what about pre-season training?
Does England 7's training break Bath players like the 15's lot do?

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

Re: Ruaridh McConnochie
10 July, 2018 17:17
I don't really see an issue here provided he is going to be ready to go come August. He will certainly be fit as hell playing top level 7's at least plus shouldn't be too hard on the body given the size of the guys you're competing with and the fact that rucks rarely involve more than one player from each side!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 July, 2018 17:34
Would rather he was at Bath brushing up on his 15 aside game tbh...

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

10 July, 2018 18:04
It's the world cup. Let him play then he can come back to Bath.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

10 July, 2018 18:23
Quote:
hasta
Absolutely this - it's the world cup - let him play, and hopefully come back to us with a winning mentality - he'll be back in plenty of time; and I suspect our lot won't have introduced a rugby ball yet by the time he's with us - still working on fitness, which won't be an issue for him.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 July, 2018 09:27
after the experience of Jeff Williams, I'd have thought that signing up to learn 15s would mean committing to 15s.

'It's the World Cup' .... who knew?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 July, 2018 09:45
As an aside, looking at the Bath squad page it looks like he is very much being seen as a 15, having played there before (rather than a winger).

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

11 July, 2018 10:38
Quote:
BathMatt53
As an aside, looking at the Bath squad page it looks like he is very much being seen as a 15, having played there before (rather than a winger).
I wouldn't go around believing that until we / our coaches have seen him in action; he stands a decent chance of getting some time across the back 4.
In the back 3 specifically, he'll start off behind 3 FBs and 5 wingers in the pecking order until he's relearned the game in the A-league and AWC (Sorry, sorry, the Prem Shield and the Prem Cup - because we really need to play the same 11 teams a few more times, rather than adding variety against the likes of the championship clubs!)

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

22 July, 2018 22:43
England on fire in the semi, stuffing S.A. Now meet NZ in the final, streamed on the World Cup 7s site, final about 1:50am UK time.

OBinFiji
OBinFiji (IP Logged)

23 July, 2018 06:54
Ah well, the blackness won through, as they did in the women’s. Only 5 pr so Fijians in their squad!

OBinFiji

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 July, 2018 07:42
Yep, NZ looked very dangerous / clinical as they did against Fiji in the semi. Our man Ruaridh McConnochie got the second (and final) try for England in the final.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

23 July, 2018 09:02
Well done, England. Top effort.

Anyone got any thoughts on how our lad McConnochie will go for us?

I presume he'll be an outside back and he'll be fit as hell from day one, so he might surprise a few people, including me, who know very little about him.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

23 July, 2018 09:37
This looks like a long-term transformation programme from 7's to 15.
Someone out there has surely drawn up a schedule for him to determine and monitor progress.
I really hope for everybody's sake that it works out.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

24 July, 2018 04:35
Quote:
dr.bath1865
Well done, England. Top effort.
Anyone got any thoughts on how our lad McConnochie will go for us?

I presume he'll be an outside back and he'll be fit as hell from day one, so he might surprise a few people, including me, who know very little about him.

Watched the highlights package on ITV4, saw him as quite a handful he could be a surprise package if he gets the opportunity, pacey and physical.

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://image.ibb.co/maFJzT/darren_atkins_4.jpg

John Tee
John Tee (IP Logged)

25 July, 2018 17:39
Quote:
hasta

Yep.. He had a good comp by all accounts.
I don't think 7s can compared to Jones regime in terms of injuries.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

26 July, 2018 11:36
Why is he not in our 7s side or is he still with England then? Or is he being rested or hurt?

Seems we have an opportunity to use his talent and do not unless there is good reason we cannot.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 July, 2018 12:06
I would hope that his mind is firmly on the 15s game now tbh. He only has a few weeks before the first friendlies.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

26 July, 2018 17:05
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Why is he not in our 7s side or is he still with England then? Or is he being rested or hurt?
Seems we have an opportunity to use his talent and do not unless there is good reason we cannot.

Because: a) he's just back from the world cup and b) the premiership 7s is a complete and utter waste of time.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

26 July, 2018 17:14
He probably deserves a short holiday.

Sirengco
Sirengco (IP Logged)

30 July, 2018 19:41
He's got a big opportunity crack on this season with AW out (and not likely to be rushed back given the injury) plus probably a wing spot under real contention this year... hopefully he learns quick!

2017/18 adopted player: Rhys Priestland
2018/19 adopted player: Kahn Fotuali'i

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net