rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
Griff (IP Logged)

Sam Warburton Retires!
18 July, 2018 11:46
Out of the blue, but Sam warburton has retired from all rugby.

BBC Website

Such a shame for him, great player and led the Lions well.

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

Sam Underhill Adopted Player 2018/19

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Re: Sam Warburton Retires!
18 July, 2018 11:53
That is such a shame. Fantastic player - but there will be a lot more players deciding that yet another rehab is too big an ask. The games has to change.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

18 July, 2018 12:15
Agree Optimist.
That a rugby career is now over at the young age of 29 is quite shocking.
There seem to be more and more players coming to this situation at ever decreasing ages.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

18 July, 2018 13:05
Quote:
Optimist
That is such a shame. Fantastic player - but there will be a lot more players deciding that yet another rehab is too big an ask. The games has to change.

Agree Opti, he is a really nice guy, I've met him with my 15yr old daughter a couple of times always chatty to both of us and still has input with his old school. As does Gareth Bale by the way.

The problem is how do you reduce the physical intensity without diminishing the game?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 July, 2018 13:43
Wow, what a blow. It was only in the summer when he was on the tv commentating (tour of America) that he was saying how much he was looking to get back on the pitch. A huge shame but he will be successful in whatever he chooses to do, without doubt.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

18 July, 2018 14:04
Yep like others I felt stunned when I heard this on the radio. Not just a great rugby footballer, highly talented and with a brain he was also one of the giants in team leadership

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

18 July, 2018 16:55
Such a shame. A player and a person of the highest order. I can think of a few in our squad who are knocking on a similar door... Worrying for the game.

Shorty Shorty iiv
Shorty Shorty iiv (IP Logged)

18 July, 2018 17:23
Absolute madness and sadness.. As much as I love the big hits in rugby things are only going to get worse.

Reading the full extent of Rob Horne’s injury just now, his arm is totally paralysed and he’s in immense pain. Devastating for both players.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 July, 2018 18:02
Quote:
Shorty Shorty iiv
Reading the full extent of Rob Horne’s injury just now, his arm is totally paralysed and he’s in immense pain. Devastating for both players.

Yes that’s terrible. Pretty innocuous looking challenge I thought, he just went in slightly out of shape - not sure how you can really prevent things like that in a contact sport (ie one in a million bad contact).

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

18 July, 2018 20:27
The only way to remove the risk is to remove the contact and that will be the death of the game we all hold so dear. Unfortunately anyone who plays the game will have been injured at some point, some more seriously than others and some career ending. Would we do anything differently? Probably not, nothing beats the feeling coming off that pitch after a game, battered and bruised, a winner or a loser but surrounded by a group of people that have come out of battle with you and knowing you belong.

Shorty Shorty iiv

18 July, 2018 21:34
Quote:
JimDaff
The only way to remove the risk is to remove the contact and that will be the death of the game we all hold so dear. Unfortunately anyone who plays the game will have been injured at some point, some more seriously than others and some career ending. Would we do anything differently? Probably not, nothing beats the feeling coming off that pitch after a game, battered and bruised, a winner or a loser but surrounded by a group of people that have come out of battle with you and knowing you belong.

The thing is few of us on here if any have played at the todays level against opponents as big as they are today. We all hold this game dear but it isn't the game we played or grew up watching anymore, it so much more physical.

I don't have any idea how to make it any better in terms of safety and I love watching it more than ever, but there's a massive difference between chatting about the stud scar you got from a shoeing playing Gilfach Coch to not being able to raise your arm to shake your old teams mates hand or being unable to remember his or her name! Just sayin..

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

18 July, 2018 22:22
Quote:
Shorty Shorty iiv
Quote:
JimDaff

The thing is few of us on here if any have played at the todays level against opponents as big as they are today. We all hold this game dear but it isn't the game we played or grew up watching anymore, it so much more physical.

I don't have any idea how to make it any better in terms of safety and I love watching it more than ever, but there's a massive difference between chatting about the stud scar you got from a shoeing playing Gilfach Coch to not being able to raise your arm to shake your old teams mates hand or being unable to remember his or her name! Just sayin..

This. It's very sad but the game is going to have to change. Perhaps an "above the waist, below the shoulders" tackle zone might be worth considering.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 July, 2018 22:29
Warberton was at the coal face for years and his body is mass of injuries from all sorts of things - no wonder he has come off worst in the end. Having seen the Horne collison a few times I don’t think that any sort of new tackle rules would have prevented that - he just flew up on the catcher eager to lead by example and collided awkwardly IMO.

Shorty Shorty iiv

18 July, 2018 23:57
Quote:
BathMatt53
Warberton was at the coal face for years and his body is mass of injuries from all sorts of things - no wonder he has come off worst in the end. Having seen the Horne collison a few times I don’t think that any sort of new tackle rules would have prevented that - he just flew up on the catcher eager to lead by example and collided awkwardly IMO.

He’s only 29, that’s no age to be retiring and he’s done fewer years at the coal face than many others.

Over the past 18 months or so all the below were forced to retire through injury, granted some were older than others, but still not good at all..

1 Tom Biggs – Worcester Warriors 2 Mouritz Botha – Newcastle Falcons, England 3 Ben Broster – Wasps, Wales 4 Tom Catterick – Newcastle Falcons 5 Tom Croft – Leicester Tigers, England 6 Will Fraser – Saracens 7 Rob Horne – Northampton Saints, Australia 8 Sam Jones – Wasps 9 Eifion Lewis Roberts – Sale Sharks, Wales 10 George Lowe – Harlequins 11 Winston Stanley – Harlequins 12 Tim Streather – Saracens 13 Netani Talei – Harlequins, Fiji 14 Christian Day – Northampton Saints 14 Carl Rimmer - Exeter 15 Adam Hughes - Dragons

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 July, 2018 08:09
Nope, not good. The interesting point about the list above is that it covers a huge range, from training injuries (Sam Jones) to innocuous challenges (Rimmer) to ones that are just long term wear and tear (Biggs, Broster). A few heads in there (Botha) which is obviously a big worry but then Botha was playing before any of the recent HIA type changes. It’s certainly an attritional game...

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

19 July, 2018 10:04
Really sad new for Sam Warburton. It sounds to me though from his statement on it that he was technically fit and able to perform coming into pre-season but feels in himself a bit as well that his body is not as good as it used to be?

Either way you have to take your hat off to him for a tremendous career and for his long term good I suspect retiring from professional rugby is a good idea given the injury lay offs he has had. I suspect given the intelligence for the game he has that he would make either a terrific pundit or an excellent coach. Whichever walk of life he decides to go into he will do well I am sure.

It is worrying the number of players retiring young but instead of considering the contact they are taking having an effect I think it may be better looking at the age they are being introduced to the professional league. When you consider that someone like Marcus Smith is playing professional rugby at 18/19 you have to think what effect that will have on his body long term given that men are not expected to have finished growing until 21. Is it better that we look at easing players in than throwing them in at the deep end and being surprised when they retire young. I believe there is lots being looked at and done to protect players during the game more so now than ever but they are having to do this without ruining the game.

Ensuring players are physically prepared for the effects of the game though may be a more sensible idea in the long run though and having an under 21/23's league or something instead of the A League may be more beneficial to the youngsters? Someone like Henry Thomas was playing professional rugby at tight head for Sale at 20 odd and you cannot say that hasn't surely had a knock on effect on his body now given his injury issues. You remove that damage from their bodies at a young age allowing them to develop more and they will be better protected come their late 20's/early 30's? Just an idea.

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

19 July, 2018 10:59
Great player who led by example. Also setting an example now in retiring before any thing more serious happens to his body.

Sam, have a long and healthy rest of your life, and we spectators will not forget you and thank you for entertaining us.

MESSAGES->author
Lansdown12 (IP Logged)

19 July, 2018 14:58
There was an interesting piece on the egg chasers podcast about insurance and player retirement. The gist being that if a player receives a serious injury the insurance company will offer to pay out, however if the player chooses to go through rehab and then gets the same or similar injury a second time they won't pay on the basis that the player has had the offer and chooses to put themselves at further risk.

If you're SW knowing the way you play the game and the likelihood of future injuries it could be a choice between playing until you physically can't anymore or retiring early with a pension.

Regardless of the reason its always a pity when a player of his stature has to make the choice early

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

19 July, 2018 23:27
There are other younger players who should but won't retire' for the sake of their health'. SW had the integrity to quit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net