rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

Are Bath asleep off the field?
02 August, 2018 15:50
I trawl the news sites every day and every day I see tons of content from the various clubs, and not just Premiership and Pro14 but Championship clubs as well. New signing video interviews, behind the scenes stuff, preseason training photos, player features, kit launches.

Bath have done pretty much none of above. The grand total of their media content has been the standard news. Most clubs have (quality) new content every day on Youtube to watch, or at least the occasional photo gallery. What gives.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Are Bath asleep off the field?
02 August, 2018 16:01
Shocking.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

02 August, 2018 16:04
That's it for me - the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm off to watch Gloucester and bask in their social media mastery !!!!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

02 August, 2018 16:06
Quote:
BathMatt53
Shocking.

You really didn't get it did you. It was sarcasm that Exeter put their big names into a nothing 7s competition, because they always do, they'd put Armand and Nowell in a tiddlywinks comeptition if it meant a chance of silverware.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

02 August, 2018 16:14
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
BathMatt53
Shocking.

You really didn't get it did you. It was sarcasm that Exeter put their big names into a nothing 7s competition, because they always do, they'd put Armand and Nowell in a tiddlywinks comeptition if it meant a chance of silverware.

Certainly went over my simple head.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

02 August, 2018 17:03
Bath Rugby TV could produce an Oscar-nominated movie... and some would complain it's a waste of budget.

Any ideas for a title...

The Shontayne Hape of Water
In(ter)ception
The Blind Side
(Pulteney) Bridge of sPies

Ill stop now.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 August, 2018 18:00
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
BathMatt53
Shocking.

BO the standard position when reading one of your posts is to assume that itís sarcasm. The day will come Iím sure when it isnít, but until then...there is a reasonable amount of PR going through social media - twitter etc. Dan Evans is the usual channel for the PR stuff but he seems to be having an off season break. Happy for them to leave their PR and get on with the training TBH - Dempsey seems to have gone down well with the players to excited to see if he can get that 20% possession figure that we all hate so much right up to parity + more.

[www.premiershiprugby.com]

(OK a player fighting for his place is always going to lavish praise on the management but it would be nice to take it at face value)

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

02 August, 2018 18:58
I'm not talking about articles from the local journo to fill column inches in the off-season, I mean any sort of media engagement from the club themselves beyond a few Twitter retweets. Ealing Trailfinders put up a new signing video interview every week, Bristol are top notch at media content. Quins put out tons of content on Youtube, including most recently a behind the scenes video series and a 5 minute clip of their new head coach mic'd up at training. Gloucester are on instagram putting up training photos constantly. It'd just be nice to see something, anything. Just seems quite amateurish, which is a shame because it used to be quite good even just two or three years ago. Anyway, whatever, just a thought.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

02 August, 2018 19:28
Why would you want the club to do this, BO?

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

02 August, 2018 19:38
I mean... There's stuff every fortnight, including kit launch, interviews with new players. In addition there's been loads of the new stadium project. It feels like you're looking for problems.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

02 August, 2018 19:39
Quote:
joethefanatic
Why would you want the club to do this, BO?

For entertainment, information, enjoyment, interaction, engagement? Because almost every club is doing it, except us?

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

02 August, 2018 19:59
Quote:
hasta
I mean... There's stuff every fortnight, including kit launch, interviews with new players. In addition there's been loads of the new stadium project. It feels like you're looking for problems.

Surely not!

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

Long Term
Long Term (IP Logged)

02 August, 2018 20:01
watch some cricket!eye rolling smiley

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

02 August, 2018 21:30
Quote:
hasta

One new player interview, one kit launch (what amounted to a tweet and a link to the shop).

Now compare to how a rugby club does modern media engagement with supporters:

Quins YouTube

Tigers YouTube

Doncaster Knights

Preseason training photos from Gloucester

I'm not looking for problems, I just think it's a shame. It's not a big deal, just another area the club need to catch up in.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

02 August, 2018 22:10
I would rather they concentrate on the ON field stuff and building a physical place to play rugby in.

When that is done perhaps the virtual stuff becomes a bit more relevant.

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

03 August, 2018 04:41
No Ballsout you are entertaining enough! Letís face it the more you are exposed to Bath Rugby the more antognised youíll get and the more we will suffer. Go out for a walk, enjoy the sun, it will soon be autumn.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

03 August, 2018 07:39
Don't forget, whilst 95% of BO's output is trash talk, sometimes there's something worth reading in there. So, BO could have a point - there may not be much in the way of output from the club in comparison to others, indeed most of the Twitter account has been used to bait the Bristol Furries ahead of derby day.

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

03 August, 2018 08:15
Yes but you have to wade through the trash talk to find anything useful.. I think this sits firmly in the trash talk. Bath has always been slightly different in the way we approach things.

SJS
SJS (IP Logged)

03 August, 2018 11:15
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been driven to it by the utter drivel that forms the premise of this thread.

It's quite clear from the OP's posting history that if the club had embarked on an all-conquering social media campaign, tweeting and instagramming every five seconds, he would accuse the club of failing to adequately concentrate on rugby matters.

The club can't win. If they choose to concentrate on pre-season instead of posting inane banalities then it's asleep, but if they post regular social media updates then they're asleep at the wheel.

Give up mate, and find a sport that suits your relentless negativity - curling, perhaps?

by
by (IP Logged)

03 August, 2018 11:44
They must read this forum BO, just put a video up of Brew interviewing Jamie Roberts with a
short cameo from Priestland.

[twitter.com]

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

03 August, 2018 11:58
Excellent!

Boy the ground looks baked at Farleigh though, let's hope there are no injuries!

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

03 August, 2018 12:53
Quote:
shipwrecked
Excellent!
Boy the ground looks baked at Farleigh though, let's hope there are no injuries!
Next headline... "Bruce is too busy trying to squeeze a profit from Bath, he's too tight to turn on the spinklers"
Followed shortly by "Water wastage at Farliegh House - don't they know there's a water shortage? disgraceful behaviour to have the sprinklers on overnight!"

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

03 August, 2018 14:15
Genuine question to Ballsout - have you got in touch with the club to ask them about their content output and/or suggest things youíd like to see more of?

Also, having just watched the video, weíre glossing over the fact theyíve got a transforming car as it goes from a 17 plate to an 18 plate and back again a couple of times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2018 14:21 by Robbinho.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

03 August, 2018 14:31
Doesn't bother me either way what the club does on social media as I have no interest, but perhaps the club could do more on this front to raise the profile with young people?

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

03 August, 2018 14:50
Brew has a higher degree of Welshness than TV head

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

03 August, 2018 21:04
It could be of course that all (or most) of the PR staff are on holiday at the moment.

PG

P G Tips

Alex Davies: my adopted Player, 2018-19.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

03 August, 2018 22:38
For once and I mean once, BO ĎS right, also Rawce.
Heavens I feel dirty.
The rest of you, Pavlovian Iím afraid. Heís got you at last.

HOP

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

03 August, 2018 23:51
Quote:
shipwrecked
I would rather they concentrate on the ON field stuff and building a physical place to play rugby in.

The media department have nothing to do with on-field stuff, nor building a physical place to play rugby in. Lots of departments, each with different responsibilities.

Quote:
miller8
Yes but you have to wade through the trash talk to find anything useful.. I think this sits firmly in the trash talk. Bath has always been slightly different in the way we approach things.

Slightly different in the way we approach things as in... not do anything?

Quote:
SJS
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.
I've been driven to it by the utter drivel that forms the premise of this thread.

It's quite clear from the OP's posting history that if the club had embarked on an all-conquering social media campaign, tweeting and instagramming every five seconds, he would accuse the club of failing to adequately concentrate on rugby matters.

The club can't win. If they choose to concentrate on pre-season instead of posting inane banalities then it's asleep, but if they post regular social media updates then they're asleep at the wheel.

Give up mate, and find a sport that suits your relentless negativity - curling, perhaps?

Impressive, everything you just said was wrong. I'm not asking for an all conquering social media campaign, just for the off-field club to get a grip and realise it's 2018.

Quote:
by
They must read this forum BO, just put a video up of Brew interviewing Jamie Roberts with a
short cameo from Priestland.

[twitter.com]

Hooray, it's a start (Sm42)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 06:10
Quote:
sid the seagull
Heavens I feel dirty.

You been in the bins again Sid?

Quote:
Sid the seagull

The rest of you, Pavlovian Iím afraid. Heís got you at last.

HOP

Ivan Pavlov would be turning in his grave.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 14:40
Actually Matt, the bins are touch over fragrant in this weather.
However swooping down to steal ice creams from small children is top fun!

PECKPECKPECK

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 15:37
BO, you really are the Brian Moore of rugby boards, you could pick a fight in an empty phone booth.

North5hark
North5hark (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 16:00
Good to see BO still winning friends and influencing the bored conversation.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 18:29
Quote:
Never In Doubt
BO, you really are the Brian Moore of rugby boards, you could pick a fight in an empty phone booth.

When the club shed the amateurism and get their act together on and off the field, then I'll be the happiest one here.
=

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 19:40
Is posting irrelevant non-news just to fill cyberspace really the definition of professionalism?

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 20:07
Quote:
BathMatt53
Is posting irrelevant non-news just to fill cyberspace really the definition of professionalism?

Player interviews, behind the scenes access and preseason photos are not "irrelevant non-news", if they were then every other club apart from ourselves wouldn't be doing them. You know, engaging with supporters and keeping them up to date on goings on at a the club.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 20:09
I agree, Iím out of touch - I just want to see them play rugby not see what they had for lunch.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 20:36
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
BathMatt53

Player interviews, behind the scenes access and preseason photos are not "irrelevant non-news", if they were then every other club apart from ourselves wouldn't be doing them. You know, engaging with supporters and keeping them up to date on goings on at a the club.

Like the Hollywood blockbuster by Aled Brew and Jamie Roberts?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 20:55
I've thought about this in some detail now. I get that the club could release more info via social media but how much additional info do we need outside game and training.

The care share moment was good but isn't it all a bit intrusive. I would prefer more game analysis form pundits and ex players to be honest. Just because Quins do it why should we...it didn't do them much good last season after all.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 21:17
We didnít have anything on many of the guys who left (unless I missed it). Jeff Williams, Harry Davies etc. That was poor form IMO, the club not wishing them the best even if they didnít play many 1st team games. The Ďfluffyí stuff is just white noise and engages no one I would have thought...

News: yes please
Guff: no ta

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 22:37
Quote:
BathMatt53
I agree, Iím out of touch - I just want to see them play rugby not see what they had for lunch.

Yes that's exactly what I'm suggesting, seeing what they had for lunch.

Quote:
shipwrecked
I've thought about this in some detail now. I get that the club could release more info via social media but how much additional info do we need outside game and training.
The care share moment was good but isn't it all a bit intrusive. I would prefer more game analysis form pundits and ex players to be honest. Just because Quins do it why should we...it didn't do them much good last season after all.

Not just Quins, everyone, including Championship clubs. I'm not asking for fun fluff pieces like the car share one, nor am I asking for much, just some decent, high quality content befitting a Premiership rugby club. Why hasn't there been a video interview with Roberts, Chudley, Cokanisiga or Dempsey yet? Or any preseason photos shared? Or info on new playing kit?

It's all very amateurish when compared to most other clubs. Quins, Sarries, Bristol, Exeter, Wasps and Saints all do a great job in that regard.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 04:32
I think BO does have a valid point.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 11:05
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
BathMatt53

Yes that's exactly what I'm suggesting, seeing what they had for lunch.

Quote:
shipwrecked

Not just Quins, everyone, including Championship clubs. I'm not asking for fun fluff pieces like the car share one, nor am I asking for much, just some decent, high quality content befitting a Premiership rugby club. Why hasn't there been a video interview with Roberts, Chudley, Cokanisiga or Dempsey yet? Or any preseason photos shared? Or info on new playing kit?

It's all very amateurish when compared to most other clubs. Quins, Sarries, Bristol, Exeter, Wasps and Saints all do a great job in that regard.

God save me from 'pivot to video'. There haven't been interviews with all of them. There have been with some. There has been training kit released. There hasn't been playing it but we know it'll be revealed before the Scarlets game. Yes, other teams have revealed kit already, but none of the Canterbury ones have, this is a supplier point.

In the meantime we've had tonnes of super professional stuff coming from the off field stuff about the potential new stadium, all of which is substantially more important and interesting.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 13:44
The stadium stuff is excellent and a credit to the club but it's a completely separate entity, far removed from the media department which is the subject of this thread.

Anyway ive said my bit, I'm sure things will ramp up soon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2018 22:20 by ballsout.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 21:37
That is appallingly lit. It is also from EIGHTEEN MONTHS AGO. The fact you've gone through a year and a half of video to find a bad one is indicative that normally it's pretty good.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 21:42

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2018 22:21 by ballsout.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 22:01
They're not great. They're still better than that Henry Thomas one. But yes, they could do with employing a team who have some lighting expertise. Or, at worst, a reflector.

Having said that... Manu

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

06 August, 2018 12:17
Totally agree with BO, absolute rubbish so can we have cross bar challenge back please - that's the kind of thing that makes the standout premier club. We were great when we did that, weren't we?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 August, 2018 12:26
One thing that is lazy is that they have just copied the entire SA press release for the Flouw news.

ĎAlso returning to the Springbok squad are Louw, the experienced flanker who plays for English club side Bathí

Couldnít be arsed to add any club congrats or anything then!!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

06 August, 2018 13:09
Quote:
gaz59
Totally agree with BO, absolute rubbish so can we have cross bar challenge back please - that's the kind of thing that makes the standout premier club. We were great when we did that, weren't we?

Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. A crossbar challenge. That and "what players are eating for lunch". Well done.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

06 August, 2018 13:13
Quote:
gaz59

Oh and I was absolutely saying that being better off the field would immediately make us better on the field. Obviously.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net