rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League


nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 12:39
My sources at the club, not prepared to say who, have indicated that CC has been told that he will be no better than 3rd choice this season and I see that most posters on the "bit of fun thread" think that both Chudley and Kahn will be ahead of him in the pecking order. May be this explains why he was packed off with the 7's squad? To be honest I am very surprised by this as I am struggling to see who Kahn can bring any pace to our game from 9 and unleash the player makers we have at 10 and the strike runners we have elsewhere. I also would have thought that our new attack coach would want us to play with pace and incision.
Not surprised if CC goes at the end of the season and we lose another home grown player.

 
BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 13:07
Surely CC would be better than Kahn next season (if not this)? He would be 38 in the May of the 19/20 season.



[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

 
TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 13:17
I would be totally amazed if anyone in management has told a player you will be in first ,second third etc at this stage of the season. Would be very demotivating they may get some idea but certainly not youre not even on the team sheet before the end of preseason.

 
MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 13:23
I mean... he is third choice. Chudley is first, Khan is second. Chris hasn't really kicked on and, while he doesn't concede as many moronic yellow cards as he did, it hasn't exactly left his game.

 
MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 13:28
Quote:
TG Kesmo
I would be totally amazed if anyone in management has told a player you will be in first ,second third etc at this stage of the season. Would be very demotivating they may get some idea but certainly not youre not even on the team sheet before the end of preseason.
Exactly this - the sniff test says "no coach tells any player this" The only exception being if said player needs a kick up the arse because they're coasting - in which case it's still worded very differently (not "you will be no better than 3rd choice"; but "currently you're sitting at 3rd choice; you really should be 1st if you knuckled down and did XYZ")


A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD




Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 13:32 by Which Tyler.

 
TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 13:30
Really depends which Kahn turns up. The really slow kick everything of last season or the speedier passing version of the year before. Cook was getting the nod at the beginning of last season but got injured. Not sure any of this is a done deal. My comment on not ruling out competition for places before the start of the season still stands.

 
SJS
SJS (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 13:59
As long as Allinson isn't allowed anywhere near the first team whatsoever....

 
EddieDillsworth
EddieDillsworth (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 14:22
Paul James mentions in this interview: [www.walesonline.co.uk]
that Gary Gold TIL players were they stood:

“What every player wants from a coach is honesty and Gary gave you that.

“I remember on my second day there he said he wanted to see all the loose-heads. He then sat us down and said: ‘You’re first choice, you’re second choice, you’re third choice and you’re fourth choice. That’s how it stands at the moment. If you want to be first choice, you need to be working harder than him’. I was sitting there open-mouthed, because a player doesn’t come across such brutal honesty that often.”

What choice was James? “I was first. But when he said that I thought: ‘S**t. I had better up my game here, otherwise I’ll be overtaken’.

“It worked because everyone was striving to be number one.”

 
nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 15:15
Maybe it is a SH coach thing then, as EJ is fond of telling some english players why they are not anywhere near international selection, like Roko? Anyway, IK have been told that as part of the review of last season, the players asked for honesty from the coaches and vice versa so perhaps telling each individual where they stand comes from that action.

 
Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 15:49
I was led to believe by my sources at the club that the coaches and that includes previous regimes get really frustrated with Cook - clearly has bags of talent, I know earlier in his career he was accused of being lazy but I think he has got over that, now he just appears to be brilliant and then for no reason whatsoever self destructs either by a stupid play or getting himself sin binned.

That may be the reason behind him dropping out of favour with the coaches along with last season having those injuries. At this level you cannot afford to have the lapses in concentration Cook seems to have and e stages of the game he appears to have them.

Real shame because I think personally he has the ability to go all the way - maybe it is a mental attitude or something a psychologist can work with - certainly if he does cut out the self destruct part of his fame he would be my 1st choice.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 15:52 by Ali1969.

 
MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 19:11
Quote:
Ali1969
I was led to believe by my sources at the club that the coaches and that includes previous regimes get really frustrated with Cook - clearly has bags of talent, I know earlier in his career he was accused of being lazy but I think he has got over that, now he just appears to be brilliant and then for no reason whatsoever self destructs either by a stupid play or getting himself sin binned.

Interesting, reminiscent of Ollie Devoto.



Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

 
Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 19:36
Im sure he will get opportunities. It will be horses for courses. Kahn was very ponderous last season.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2018 09:22 by Bath Hammer.

 
Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 19:51
Given the attrition rate of last season I would expect Cook at least on the bench for many matches.

 
annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 21:47
Frankly, Kahn has got more talent and rugby nous in his little finger than Cook has anywhere - and that is leaving out his years of experience in top teams. He is also a 'team player'.

 
ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
08 August, 2018 23:45
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Frankly, Kahn has got more talent and rugby nous in his little finger than Cook has anywhere - and that is leaving out his years of experience in top teams. He is also a 'team player'.

Cook's little toenail has more rugby knowledge than you will ever have.

Are you capable of posting anything that isn't an embarrassing, inchorent jumble of words?

You, the person who has in the past had a go at others for abusing players, do it on a regular basis. Not just Bath, but other club players as well.

If you have something to say about Cook's ability to be a team player, then say it, so I can then dismiss it as yet another one of your ignorant ramblings.

 
Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
09 August, 2018 00:39
Cook needs to work on his consistency. On his day he is able to eclipse Kahn, who was a little below par last year.

Some of the criticism of CC on this thread is moronic hoss @#$%& from people with nothing to occupy their minds in the warmer months.

 
BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
09 August, 2018 06:50
Cook does things the other SHs cant simply because of his size and pace, he is an excellent running SH IMO. No idea about his attitude (as I dont know him) but he seems a popular member of the squad?

Whatever the reasons, he will be 28 next April so really needs to show his stuff this year and take any chances he gets.



[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

 
Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
09 August, 2018 07:29
Quote:
BathMatt53
Cook does things the other SHs cant simply because of his size and pace, he is an excellent running SH IMO. No idea about his attitude (as I dont know him) but he seems a popular member of the squad?
Whatever the reasons, he will be 28 next April so really needs to show his stuff this year and take any chances he gets.

Chudley is 30, Allinson is 31 and Khan is almost 90!

 
Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
09 August, 2018 07:36
On his day Cookie can be a match winner. His pace is good (has filled in as an emergency winger IIRR), good solid tackler, covers back and defends well, and can kick and pass reasonably well. His downfall is his apparent odd brain f--- which lets all the good things he does down which is a shame. Certainly last season he played better than Kahn at times and showed he can cut the mustard.

Having Chudley now is going to be very interesting. He is very brave, plays at pace, moves the ball well, and tackles far above his weight. Very similar to CC, but without the errors.

Should be a good competition for the number one starting place, plus of course young Max knocking on the door as well.



Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

 
MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
09 August, 2018 07:49
Didn't Kahn's form drop of a cliff about a third way through the season, I assume something to do with him being a bit long in the tooth, I think he had a couple of good games towards the end and Chudley has never walked out on the pitch.

I dont think there is a real pecking order before the season starts, maybe they mean for the first game that he's unlikely to be on the bench.

 
BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
09 August, 2018 08:13
With the number of matches that will be played I'm sure that all 3 of these (or 4 if you count Max Green) will get plenty of game time this season.



[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

 
MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
09 August, 2018 08:23
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
BathMatt53
Cook does things the other SHs cant simply because of his size and pace, he is an excellent running SH IMO. No idea about his attitude (as I dont know him) but he seems a popular member of the squad?
Whatever the reasons, he will be 28 next April so really needs to show his stuff this year and take any chances he gets.

Chudley is 30, Allinson is 31 and Khan is almost 90!

Perhaps we could re-sign Stringer to get a bit more experience

 
opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
09 August, 2018 08:53
It's pretty much impossible for the coaches to prepare the team and train without giving away who the starters are - more so at 9/10 than any other position. It strikes me that Todd isn't the sort of bloke who would just leave a player to make the guess from the training patterns. He'd have an honest conversation, tell him what he needs to do, and remind him that his status can change in a flash. One injury, and 3rd choice 9 is on the bench .... comes off the bench ... has a blinder. Plus, if Chudley were the one to get injured it's quite possible Cook would go into the starting line-up on the basis that Kahn is now more of a finisher than a starter. CC seems like a pretty determined character to me - there's every chance he'll play a big part in the season - and, frankly, lucky us - we now have a squad with 3 viable starting 9s pushing each other on.

 
MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
09 August, 2018 09:28
I have a feeling that by the end of the season (if not sooner) Max Green will be our number 2 SH.

 
Sir Redneck
Sir Redneck (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
09 August, 2018 09:50
Quote:
FourSticks
I have a feeling that by the end of the season (if not sooner) Max Green will be our number 2 SH.

I tend to agree with this. He was one that Bath watched for some time prior to signing him and he's definitely shown ability when given the chance. I remember he said he was working on his game management and box kicking so it'll be interesting to see how he performs this season.

Cook is a frustrating character as on his day he's a game changer but consistency doesn't appear to be his friend.

 
Bath Supporter Jack

Re: Chris Cook
09 August, 2018 10:45
Totally agree Opti

Also great to have some depth finally in such key position.......as of course Mr Craig knows full well!!

 
BerkeleyWood
The Bear (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
09 August, 2018 16:53
Quote:
Sir Redneck
Cook is a frustrating character as on his day he's a game changer but consistency doesn't appear to be his friend.

I think he's at his best when he can play instinctively. I think when he 'thibks', feels the need to 'control' the game etc. he just slows right down.



Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

 
Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
10 August, 2018 08:24
Maybe he'll be a late bloomer but he's looked unreliable under pressure for me.



I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

 
dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
10 August, 2018 12:10
Quote:
nick holder
Maybe it is a SH coach thing then, as EJ is fond of telling some english players why they are not anywhere near international selection, like Roko? Anyway, IK have been told that as part of the review of last season, the players asked for honesty from the coaches and vice versa so perhaps telling each individual where they stand comes from that action.

I'm glad if this is true. A mate of mine who works in strength and conditioning (been at exe, Worcester, sarries) says this is the root of the injury crisis: players aren't being honest about the niggles they are carrying and playing through injury. They're scared of losing status. The notion of 'first choice' 'second choice' etc is toxic.

 
incastrowetrust
Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
10 August, 2018 13:45
A few coaches tell players that they are going to be no more than 3rd choice.

On the whole it's basically saying of we don't want you and you should start looking elsewhere.

 
MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
11 August, 2018 05:30
Paul James (at the end of the interview) on exactly this subject... at Bath!

[www.google.com]



... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

 
ilovebathtime
ilovebathtime (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
11 August, 2018 10:50
I hope this isn't true. I really like Cook.

I think he had mostly controlled his aggression well last year. I can only think of 1 stupid yellow away at Toulon. Other than winning turnovers, I think his game was ahead of Kahn's in every other regard last season. To be honest if your forwards are doing their job you really shouldn't be relying on your scrum half for turnovers in any case.

 
BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
11 August, 2018 11:39
The trouble is that certain people get a reputation for silly yellows and its tough to shake - Guy Mercer, KPN were all fine more recently but still had the silly yellow sticker and Cook is the same. I agree that in the last year or two he has looked fine.

Cook had 1 yellow in 12 starts last season. Hardly played season before that but 3 in 20 starts in 15/16 which isnt great. Interestingly Chudley hasnt had a yellow in the last 4 years in any competition!



[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

 
22Dropout
22Dropout (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
11 August, 2018 13:38
The one brainf$$t I recall from CC last season was the away game in Toulon, right at the end when he kicked it out of a ruck and gave them 5he pen from which Belleau (Sp?) ultimately scored their winning try. Costly!

 
DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
12 August, 2018 00:04
It's not the yellows for me, it's that he hasn't consistently played well enough and, for me, lacks a complete game. When things work for him he looks good, when he's required to play a different game he looks a bit ponderous.

 
Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
12 August, 2018 10:19
IMHO Cook has all the ability - It is notoriously hard when you have lost the trust of the coaches to restore that. Unfortunately the half backs are key to any team - I like Cook he is a big unit with huge ability but for whatever reason he has done some bizarre sometimes idiotic things at crucial times and less we forget these coaches see him everyday in training and I take it he still making crucial errors which the makes the coaches feel they still cannot trust or rely on him.

That is what makes me believe it is a mental thing!!! In the professional game he has to sort it out quick or they will offload him and his ship will have passed.

 
gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
12 August, 2018 12:08
Quote:
DanWiley
It's not the yellows for me, it's that he hasn't consistently played well enough and, for me, lacks a complete game. When things work for him he looks good, when he's required to play a different game he looks a bit ponderous.

In fairness Dan, how many of our squad played consistently well last season?

 
neale harvey
Neale Harvey (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
12 August, 2018 12:57
Done a piece with Chris in today's Rugby Paper. Didn't sound like a man who's rolling over and accepting his fate when I spoke to him!!

 
sirtidychris
sirtidychris (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
12 August, 2018 14:52
Could go either way with Chris, he seems like he loves the club, he is an abrasive 9 with great turn of pace, if he consistency plays to his abilities he could be a stalwart/captain material. If he keeps up his hot head and up and down game this season then its new club time when the contract ends.

 
quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
12 August, 2018 22:49
I was a little unsure why CC had such a reputation for irrational or unnecessary yellow cards. From memory, I understand there was a brief period a couple of seasons ago when he picked them up in quick succession but hes not someone I think of as cynical, nor someone on the pitch who is there to stop play rather than play rugby (no more so than any other scrum half at least).

With this in mind, Ive spent some of my Sunday evening doing a little digging* with the help** of the new Premiership Rugby site and a solid amount of Googling

Premiership rugby stats (https://www.premiershiprugby.com/statistics/player-archive/) state Chris Cook has picked up 4 Yellow Cards over the course of the 15-16, 16-17 and 17-18 seasons. The 15-16 season in the Premiership was the season I believe he acquired an affinity with his name being brandished next to a yellow card. Might I add, he did not receive any during the most recent 17-18 Premiership season yet he still seems to hold this label.

Using the stats, I did my best to find videos illustrating the various infringements

1st April 2016 (Bath Rugby 10 Saracens 30)
[youtu.be]

In this particular instance, Chris was sin binned with a yellow card for a tip tackle on Michael Rhodes. The tackle is both irrational and unfortunate. A lot of force is required to stop any back rower, let alone one of Rhodes carrying capabilities. Chris puts his all into it and does well to stop his momentum, with a little help from Leroy Houston, Rhodes body angle goes above the horizontal and a yellow card is awarded to Chris.

The tackle does show a lack of discipline, but this was a game where it was not running around in abundance for many of our players sadly. The yellow card was rightly awarded I have no doubt about that but not a reason to give somebody a hard time over.


30th April 2016 (Northampton Saints 15 Bath Rugby 14)
[youtu.be]

This time, CC was awarded a YC for foul play playing the ball/kicking it out of his opposite numbers hands whilst he tries to move it away from a ruck. Okay, to cut a long story short I agree, this particular play is cynical and again warrants a yellow card. But weve all seen scrum halves do/attempt this. I understand this was the second instance within a month where CC was awarded a yellow card, I think it was around now people began to consider him hot headed.

IIRC there was plenty of frustration surrounding the club around this time as we neared the end of the Ford Snr. era which certainly would not have helped anyone who might experience mental fragility. I think this impacted many of our players performances and decision making.

To note, I was unable to find record of CCs 3rd yellow card in the Premiership for the 2015-16 season. Finding the videos often proved to be even more difficult.


3rd September 2016 (Northampton Saints 14 Bath Rugby 18)
[www.youtube.com]

This instance I had a real hard time finding a video of in fact, it proved to be impossible for me. But IIRC CC was caught out for infringing towards the very end of the match (73rd min). With another player already down, we were really struggling to defend and Saints had been awarded a penalty. They were about to run through all of our players whilst we retreated to respect the rules but after retreating a little, rather than letting the ball carrier run past, Chris chose to tackle him. The player IIRC would have undoubtedly scored on this occasion had Chris not put the tackle in. If this is the instance I am recalling then Im still quite happy that he took one for the team on this occasion because it meant that we could go on and win the match admittedly a lot of defending was required.


To recap, although I was unable to find CCs 3rd yellow card during the 2015-16 season, I was able to find his most recent(?) yellow card which came from a Champions Cup match against Toulon last December

9th December 2017 (Toulon 24 Bath Rugby 20)
[www.skysports.com]

If you start it from around 01:17s you will see CC grappling for the ball over a ruck. Im not up for debating whether or not he was holding his weight etc. But what I will say is he received this off the back of the whole team being penalised on multiple occasions. Obviously, it might have been the right call at the time but Ive seen only a penalty given for something like this in the past. It could be considered cynical though it could have just as easily been FLouw or Garvey in there over the ball and theyd have had the same punishment Im sure; yet not booed nor cussed by the crowd (at least as much as the bloke who sits behind me). It would be a shame if this is what you all remember about a player who is typically very strong at the breakdown.

In all, I hope this helps you all reconsider whether Chris Cook is such a brain-fart magnet. For me, he does display a great amount of emotion whilst on the pitch perhaps this does get the better of him at times but I feel he does well to discipline this and has certainly matured in more recent years. Playing with your heart on your chest is what we all too often cry out for from any new signings so why begrudge it when you have it? The same with him having come through the Bath Rugby academy, all too often we criticise about how many people we are bringing through, well this is one of them.

To say he is talentless and lacks any rugby nous is just silly, irresponsible and is rather hypocritical so far as Im concerned. Best of luck for the new season Chris, I hope you start this season how you started the last.

* This is by no means meant to be a damning report on one player, I merely wish to challenge peoples perceptions about him being a sin bin magnet.
** Has anyone tried using the new Premiership Rugby website? For me its particularly clunky, slow and many of the videos I tried accessing were simply not available. It seemed very average.



Josh Bayliss [Bath Rugby] - Adopted Player 2018/19

 
Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
13 August, 2018 13:55
It is not just about yellow cards - it is about giving cheap penalties away, possession or putting unnecessary pressure on the team all at crucial times.

The All Blacks talk constantly about being the "Best player I can be" and that means not always having to be the news maker on every occasion you take the field - Aaron Smith is a great example of this - not the household headline grabber but one would argue the best S/H in the world - Our Head Coach will have this ethic running through his veins...probably why he gets frustrated by maverick players.

CC needs to cut out his error rate and the coaches faith will return - stick to the gameplan and work for the team. Like I said no one doubts his ability but he has got to stop going out into the field feeling he needs to produce something amazing to justify his selection and not be searching for tomorrows headlines.

Trust if your ability and play for the team - the rest will take care of itself.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2018 13:58 by Ali1969.

 
dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
13 August, 2018 14:35
Cooky is a good 9. The season he had behind a dominant pack - and in particular, Leroy Houston - he looked an unpredictable handful for anyone.

His lowest ebb was the match vs Scarlets, when Gareth Davies made him look like a muppet.

My opinion is that he's currently not a 9 that leads or dictates a game, but is strong when the pack is on top. Under Kahn he should be learning to do the former. Meanwhile though, Chudley could well unseat him. Cooky needs to hurry up.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2018 14:38 by dannyf2.

 
Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
13 August, 2018 20:22
I like Cooky ! (Sm128)



Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty

 
DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
14 August, 2018 07:09
I can't see Chris really competing with chudley without a change in his consistency he's yet to produce. At his age the time for learning had probably largely passed.

 
BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
14 August, 2018 07:33
Quote:
DanWiley
I can't see Chris really competing with chudley without a change in his consistency he's yet to produce. At his age the time for learning had probably largely passed.

Is it the same as learning a skill? I'm hoping that this is the sort of thing that Katie Warriner can help with - minimising the brain farts across the team, or TCUP as SCW would have put it.



[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

 
Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

Re: Chris Cook
14 August, 2018 11:15
Quote:
quanco
I was a little unsure why CC had such a reputation for irrational or unnecessary yellow cards. From memory, I understand there was a brief period a couple of seasons ago when he picked them up in quick succession but hes not someone I think of as cynical, nor someone on the pitch who is there to stop play rather than play rugby (no more so than any other scrum half at least).
With this in mind, Ive spent some of my Sunday evening doing a little digging* with the help** of the new Premiership Rugby site and a solid amount of Googling


Premiership rugby stats (https://www.premiershiprugby.com/statistics/player-archive/) state Chris Cook has picked up 4 Yellow Cards over the course of the 15-16, 16-17 and 17-18 seasons. The 15-16 season in the Premiership was the season I believe he acquired an affinity with his name being brandished next to a yellow card. Might I add, he did not receive any during the most recent 17-18 Premiership season yet he still seems to hold this label.

Using the stats, I did my best to find videos illustrating the various infringements

1st April 2016 (Bath Rugby 10 Saracens 30)
[youtu.be]

In this particular instance, Chris was sin binned with a yellow card for a tip tackle on Michael Rhodes. The tackle is both irrational and unfortunate. A lot of force is required to stop any back rower, let alone one of Rhodes carrying capabilities. Chris puts his all into it and does well to stop his momentum, with a little help from Leroy Houston, Rhodes body angle goes above the horizontal and a yellow card is awarded to Chris.

The tackle does show a lack of discipline, but this was a game where it was not running around in abundance for many of our players sadly. The yellow card was rightly awarded I have no doubt about that but not a reason to give somebody a hard time over.


30th April 2016 (Northampton Saints 15 Bath Rugby 14)
[youtu.be]

This time, CC was awarded a YC for foul play playing the ball/kicking it out of his opposite numbers hands whilst he tries to move it away from a ruck. Okay, to cut a long story short I agree, this particular play is cynical and again warrants a yellow card. But weve all seen scrum halves do/attempt this. I understand this was the second instance within a month where CC was awarded a yellow card, I think it was around now people began to consider him hot headed.

IIRC there was plenty of frustration surrounding the club around this time as we neared the end of the Ford Snr. era which certainly would not have helped anyone who might experience mental fragility. I think this impacted many of our players performances and decision making.

To note, I was unable to find record of CCs 3rd yellow card in the Premiership for the 2015-16 season. Finding the videos often proved to be even more difficult.


3rd September 2016 (Northampton Saints 14 Bath Rugby 18)
[www.youtube.com]

This instance I had a real hard time finding a video of in fact, it proved to be impossible for me. But IIRC CC was caught out for infringing towards the very end of the match (73rd min). With another player already down, we were really struggling to defend and Saints had been awarded a penalty. They were about to run through all of our players whilst we retreated to respect the rules but after retreating a little, rather than letting the ball carrier run past, Chris chose to tackle him. The player IIRC would have undoubtedly scored on this occasion had Chris not put the tackle in. If this is the instance I am recalling then Im still quite happy that he took one for the team on this occasion because it meant that we could go on and win the match admittedly a lot of defending was required.


To recap, although I was unable to find CCs 3rd yellow card during the 2015-16 season, I was able to find his most recent(?) yellow card which came from a Champions Cup match against Toulon last December

9th December 2017 (Toulon 24 Bath Rugby 20)
[www.skysports.com]

If you start it from around 01:17s you will see CC grappling for the ball over a ruck. Im not up for debating whether or not he was holding his weight etc. But what I will say is he received this off the back of the whole team being penalised on multiple occasions. Obviously, it might have been the right call at the time but Ive seen only a penalty given for something like this in the past. It could be considered cynical though it could have just as easily been FLouw or Garvey in there over the ball and theyd have had the same punishment Im sure; yet not booed nor cussed by the crowd (at least as much as the bloke who sits behind me). It would be a shame if this is what you all remember about a player who is typically very strong at the breakdown.

In all, I hope this helps you all reconsider whether Chris Cook is such a brain-fart magnet. For me, he does display a great amount of emotion whilst on the pitch perhaps this does get the better of him at times but I feel he does well to discipline this and has certainly matured in more recent years. Playing with your heart on your chest is what we all too often cry out for from any new signings so why begrudge it when you have it? The same with him having come through the Bath Rugby academy, all too often we criticise about how many people we are bringing through, well this is one of them.

To say he is talentless and lacks any rugby nous is just silly, irresponsible and is rather hypocritical so far as Im concerned. Best of luck for the new season Chris, I hope you start this season how you started the last.

* This is by no means meant to be a damning report on one player, I merely wish to challenge peoples perceptions about him being a sin bin magnet.
** Has anyone tried using the new Premiership Rugby website? For me its particularly clunky, slow and many of the videos I tried accessing were simply not available. It seemed very average.

Excellent post..... I really dont understand the negativity around Chris. He may not be in the worlds top scrum halves, but he is nowhere as bad as people on here make out. We are very lucky to have him and hope he (along with Max) are on the books for a few years to come!


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?