rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Shorty Shorty iiv
Shorty Shorty iiv (IP Logged)

Marcus Smith
10 September, 2018 17:46
Bath should pull out all the stops and sign him.. Discuss.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Marcus Smith
10 September, 2018 18:15
Yes, good player. Small issue of salary I would have thought, so would need to be after expiry of RP contract (or Fcool smiley.

I see that rugby inside line are speculating that JJ could go to Bris. I would be amazed tbh if that happened.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

10 September, 2018 18:44
[quote BathMatt53]Yes, good player. Small issue of salary I would have thought, so would need to be after expiry of RP contract (or Fcool smiley.

I see that rugby inside line are speculating that JJ could go to Bris. I would be amazed tbh if that happened.[/quote

So would I !

More rumours of unrest behind the scenes.

Chris Foy writing today in the Mail
" Leading players are understood to be unsettled and seeking opportunities elsewhere ".

Unsettled about what or who ? The reason for a poor start to the season yet again ?

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

10 September, 2018 18:58
Well JJ to Bris I would have thought is a possibility as I believe Piatau is only there for a year. JJ is out of contract and Mr Lansdown has lots of cash.

Sincerely hope not but who knows whats going on, especially with Mr Hooper's spreading influence....

Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

incastrowetrust
Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)

10 September, 2018 19:01
[quote Old Bath Tub][quote BathMatt53]Yes, good player. Small issue of salary I would have thought, so would need to be after expiry of RP contract (or Fcool smiley.

I see that rugby inside line are speculating that JJ could go to Bris. I would be amazed tbh if that happened.[/quote

So would I !

More rumours of unrest behind the scenes.

Chris Foy writing today in the Mail
" Leading players are understood to be unsettled and seeking opportunities elsewhere ".

Unsettled about what or who ? The reason for a poor start to the season yet again ?[/quote]

TBF to Foy he was right on the money with Tigers.

Shorty Shorty iiv
Shorty Shorty iiv (IP Logged)

10 September, 2018 19:13
Quote:
BathMatt53
Yes, good player. Small issue of salary I would have thought, so would need to be after expiry of RP contract (or Fcool smiley..

Is that not the end of this season?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 September, 2018 19:21
Undisclosed I think. FB end of next season?

Ian E
Ian E (IP Logged)

10 September, 2018 19:22
Surely next year Bristol will have to adhere more closely to the cap - whereas this year they don’t?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 September, 2018 19:31
Why don't they this year?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

10 September, 2018 20:13
Piutau is a marquee player. JJ couldn't be for Bris.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

10 September, 2018 20:33
I don't think we'll keep JJ. They love him in France.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

10 September, 2018 21:05
He needs to sign a contract in England if he wants to play in the RWC.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

10 September, 2018 21:56
I think there are bound to be rumours when we have such an awful start to the season & JJ seemed to be pretty critical when commenting on the match. It seemed to be more about what he didn’t say than what he did.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 07:40
Never quite been convinced by Smith. I hear a lot, but don't see him that often, when I do what I've heard and what I see don't quite match up. I see a talented young player, but one that oftentimes makes mistakes and looks under pressure from the (usually) more experienced opposite number.

I'd be happy if we did sign him, but he's not the solution to all our problems. In fact, on his own, I don't think he or any other ten would make much of a difference. So if we're going to pull out all the stops then it should be in other areas and I don't think those areas are as simple as "let's sign <much talked about player>!"

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 07:44
Smith is out of this world for a kid who has just left school, but that is the reality. If he continues to progress he could be one of the best, but that is surely in 2 or even 3 WCs time?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 08:14
My abiding memory of Smith is Zac catching him in a chase down the wing last year.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 08:23
Thanks Dan and bathMatt for bringing the debate back to Smith.

Growing a ten, rather than buying in the finished article is a good option IMHO -but Smith is not the only promising option to consider.

I would like us to take a good look at both Joe Simmonds at Ex and Max mains at Sarries.

PG

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 08:35
I’d be amazed if JJ were to sign another contract with Bath. Delighted, but amazed. I’m not that convinced he really wants to play for Eddie Jones, and I could see him doing an Ashton - taking 2 years in France and then coming back re-enthused.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 09:32
I could cope with JJ going for that reason Opti but if Ant went too that would raise some massive questions

And I would want to forget fantasy signings like Smith - yes he is excellent and has the potential to be one of the best but focus on keeping and developing our potential. Tom d-G could be just as good

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 09:47
Agree Gaz - if TdG came through it would be really wonderful. He is pursuing his University studies elsewhere this year I understand, so it may not be this season that he emerges fully. But his decision also speaks of someone who may be a bit more rounded than Smith, who could be one of those who burns out or doesn't fully kick on.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 09:56
I think JJ wants to play for England at the RWC - therefore he needs to play in England (remember how much England players get paid). I suspect he'd need to be offered reasonably more by an other English club to move. They wouldn't be able to use a marquee slot for him.

Provided Bath want to keep him I think he'll stay.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 09:57
JJ seemed to have lost confidence in his last few England games, resorting to ground kicks rather than breaks and his Bath games were just steady rather than incisive. As we noticed with Dave Atwood time out tends to give players time to 'contemplate their lot'.

Unfortunately we can't send him to Toulon to convalesce. My worry is that Anthony Watson is off with a similar issue, I could imagine them moving in tandem especially if we don't see a bounce in form. The only thing holding them here is their England careers. If either of them misses the RWC through injury you have to see a move as a possibility.

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://image.ibb.co/maFJzT/darren_atkins_4.jpg

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 10:05
You'd need to spend close to a million of salary cap to get the two of them together.

We definitely weren't getting the best out of JJ (in particular) last season but really we weren't getting the best out of anyone.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 10:10
"I think JJ wants to play for England at the RWC"

I'm sure he does hasta - I'm just not convinced that he wants to with quite such burning intensity as is needed to put up with Eddie's regime. I think Watson does, which is why I could see Bruce breaking the bank to keep him here. It's only a feeling I have - not based on any knowledge, so could well be entirely wrong about either or both of them.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 10:14
I'm unconvinced that anyone (with the possible exceptions of Hartley and Brown) really want to put up with Eddie's regime, but he's the England coach, so there you go. I think the honour (and cash) for playing for England outweighs the other parts.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 10:49
Marcus Smith would be great but for all the show stopping moments we see from him there are also times where his inexperience shows in manipulating a defence or managing a match. I understand he also has quite a large contract now at Quins so the negotiation for that would be a difficult one to sort out especially as buy outs come out of the cap space I understand (correct me if wrong someone!).

I would personally we rather look to develop a youngster ourselves. We never quite got the best out of Hastings though (who now looks a lot better up in Glasgow) and we still have not got the best from Freddie or Rhys. Perhaps if we look internally at how we are helping our players develop that we already have signed on then we would not need to look at "fantasy" signings as such!

Smith is a top talent though and Quins have done well there to spot him. Given his geographic location I would imagine a London based team suits him fine and so there is no point speculating or hoping we may snag him in my honest opinion! Let's get FB more confident and get the best from him who, on his day, can be superb himself!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 11:20
Quote:
Big Dog
We never quite got the best out of Hastings though (who now looks a lot better up in Glasgow) and we still have not got the best from Freddie or Rhys. Perhaps if we look internally at how we are helping our players develop that we already have signed on then we would not need to look at "fantasy" signings as such!

True, but when we have a class 9 our 10's look so much better. Remember how we played with Stringer and then Kahn in the first year. I just wish we picked a class 9 with more than a year left of their career. Looking forward to seeing Chudley!

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 11:21
If Marcus Smith doesn't want to stay at Quins, then I wouldn't particularly want to sign him. Would Exeter try and sign him? Nope. Would Saracens? Yep.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 14:51
Wow - 2 games in and already rumours and stories being spread about potential players being disgruntled and wanting away.

Thought we had enough of that last year and the year before - I cannot see how the likes of Bristol and other premiership sides are going to afford all these players and stay within the salary cap.

At the end of the day we are extremely fortunate to have a wealthy owner who has financed the club he loves - I personally am not a fan of the CEO but as I said that is personal, I am aware through friends and some players at the club that last season there was some unrest but again I understand that to be due to the CEO and the handling of Banners.

As for Chris FOY he does what all journalists do, they have to sell stories and in the early parts of the season it is notoriously difficult to find good stories (Although they can usually rely of Cipriani for the odd one) - The upshot is that a lot of the rumours this early in the year are usually fake and smoke screens spread by agents hoping to add a few pennies to their own back pocket.

Smith is a great young talent but he has yet to develop - I hope for his sake he stays at his current club and repays the faith they have shown in him - I really believe in Burns and Priestland we have 2 great F/Halves - just give them time to settle into the new midfield and attack processes and we will see the fruits of the hard work - there were glimpses on Saturday with Burns testing the Gloucester line on a regular basis.

All I would add is look at the difference in George Ford with Eastmond outside him - a completely different player....Maybe 2 we did let get away...

Talking to a couple of the first team squad the other day they appear a happy bunch - and I think someone is going to get a hiding when it clicks - hopefully Quins this week...

SarrieSaint
SarrieSaint (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 16:52
Quote:
Optimist
If Marcus Smith doesn't want to stay at Quins, then I wouldn't particularly want to sign him. Would Exeter try and sign him? Nope. Would Saracens? Yep.

Why would Sarries want him? If he's better than Malins it's not by a huge amount and Malins is homegrown. Farrell, Lozo, Malins, Whiteley. Don't think Sarries need to add fly-halves.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 16:56
How is he defensively, he's small/light, lighter than GF

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 17:57
A no thanks from me...... a good player who may one day turn in to really good / great but I can think of more positions we need to sort / other players that we need to pull out all the stops to sign.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 18:12
I know Tom de Glanville got shaken up at the weekend by a hit but he was playing well by all accounts, shouldn't we be nurturing him instead of funding other academies?

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

11 September, 2018 22:02
Beat me to it Shiprocked, T de G is the boy for us long term.

FLAP

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

12 September, 2018 10:22
Tom D G certainly showed great promise early on and got up after the big hit on Sunday and continued to do the simple things well, even if a little groggily. It was the first time I had seen him for any length of time and he certainly didn't look out of place against some very vigorous and much more experienced opposition. Some of his play making choices reminded me of a certain JohnbHorton or even Stuart Barnes.

I will follow his development with interest.

Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

12 September, 2018 11:30
For me Tom DG and Max Green could be a useful half back pairing for the future. I haven't seen much of Tom DG but if even BoB is optimistic on his development potential then he may be a useful talent moving forwards.

Max Green for me should continue to start if Chudley unavailable much longer. Even if Chudley is around then stick with him as he seemed to really take his opportunity for me Saturday in what is a difficult game. If we are going to start the season averagely then let us at least give some of the youngsters some valuable experience!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 September, 2018 14:12
Definitely showed he isn’t yet ready for the top table* based on yesterday’s performance. Based on the ESPN stats him and care were basically revolving doors. Both missed 1/3 of their tackles but maybe no surprise given that their forwards gave them zero protection from our big runners.

[*by that I mean Internationals or Champs Cup etc]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2018 14:36 by BathMatt53.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

16 September, 2018 17:14
Lang looked much more of a threat yesterday when he came on, far more direct than the flash dancing feet of Smith and picked better running options

Might have been because Quins found a cause to fight for and so there were more and better options of course but Lang certainly caused us more problems

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net