rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

Bath Rugby Social Media
13 September, 2018 16:36
I have noticed that over the last year or so Bath have become a lot more apparent in their presence on some platforms like Instagram. That said though, we are still producing a lot less material for public consumption on platforms like Youtube.

I took a look earlier and the last match review video there is on Youtube previews the Bristol game with Todd Blackadder. We are on a Thursday, two weeks later having played Gloucester and facing Quins this weekend and nothing new.The youtube channel has only 3516 subscribers.
In comparison, I took a look at Wasps and they have match highlights vs Exeter up, Dai Young's press conference after Exeter, Elliot Daly interview post Exeter and have a couple lads reviewing the game against Leicester up already. 4 videos since Sunday. They have double the number of subscribers.

Are we falling behind here? We do occasionally produce some decent video stuff with some players cams in training being interesting a couple years ago but there has been barely anything on our new signings, coaching or any footage of training etc. Feels like with all the attempts to market the club with the Clash etc we could be helping by making some interesting video content too! May help stop some of the views from posters on here that the boys just spend all their time reclining at Farleigh House if they showed some training footage winking smiley

Thoughts?

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

Re: Bath Rugby Social Media
13 September, 2018 18:01
Big Dog

there's usually up to date stuff on the Chronicle site:

[www.somersetlive.co.uk]

Whether that is a Bath Rugby media outlet is obviously open to interpretation, but there are weekly videos with appearances from Blackadder, players and other coaches.

P G Tips

Alex Davies: my adopted Player, 2018-19.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

13 September, 2018 20:44
ballsout made a similar point elsewhere on 'ere...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

14 September, 2018 00:31
The club's media content is waaaay behind clubs like Quins, Bristol, Wasps and Saracens, especially when it comes to video. Both in terms of quality and quantity.

Bath might be active on Twitter or Instagram, but it's not particularly great Twitter or Instagram content.

Loads of Pro14 teams have better video content too.

Shorty Shorty iiv
Shorty Shorty iiv (IP Logged)

14 September, 2018 02:30
Our video production and content has been woeful for day dot.. Not sure if anyone watched the recent video interview with GD, you couldn’t hear the man for wind noise.....

In terms of platforms for watching video content, YouTube is taking a hammering at the moment, Instagram and FB are the more popular places to watch video content right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 11:29 by Shorty Shorty iiv.

robhumperson
Humpo (IP Logged)

14 September, 2018 08:47
It really isn't good quality social media stuff, which is disappointing as it could be great The "banter" (eugh) between us and Bristol was childish, boring and frankly made us look ridiculous when we lost.

I really enjoyed the Mastermind videos we used do on the website. The previews building up to games is OK, but it is always the same "boys have trained hard, need to start fast and be clinical etc etc etc". I want to learn things from those videos, not hear the same stuff regurgitated.

The training ground amusing videos / challenges are always good, as are player cams in the gym or on training ground that give great insight.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 September, 2018 09:05
As log as they NEVER make the players sing the 12 days of Christmas again I will be happy.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

14 September, 2018 10:19
Personally I do not and will not use social media as I know a number of people who have had very bad experiences doing so.

I don't mind if we see videos of training etc but as Humpo wrote, I do not want to hear the usual ' we trained hard, everything is going well, and be clinical etc.' When we start playing well and winning regularly, then we can listen to such clichéd talk, but not until then, even if then.

If they believe what they are spouting, let's see it put into practice on the field of play and it be reflected on the score board at the end of a game. That's what counts.

Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

14 September, 2018 10:20
I really would prefer to get an insight into the training ground and atmosphere to be honest. Give one of the injured guys a camera and let them go roaming at training or in the gym or down time. You can always edit anything that is inappropriate but show us the players personality's a little more or something that is actually an insight into camp.

Otherwise all we get is dry content every now and then on an upcoming fixture and the same regurgitated stuff as Humpo said on what they have been working on. Show us a bit more of this maybe and give us something interesting!!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

14 September, 2018 11:01
Quote:
Shorty Shorty iiv
Our video production and content has been woeful for day dot.. Not sure if anyone watched the recent video interview with GD, you couldn’t hear the man for wind noise.....

Was it better or worse than this

http://u.cubeupload.com/browneyes/bath.jpg

What a shame the club train in this horribly unphotogenic place where there aren't any good angles, or light.

Oh wait...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 11:03 by ballsout.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 September, 2018 11:05
Definitely need to invest in some sort of portable lighting arrangement. If that's the only issue it seems like not solved fairly easily.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

14 September, 2018 11:15
It's not the only issue, plenty of other videos are focused on the background, the content itself isn't great, the interviews are just one long drawn out scene of the speaker talking, no other footage to break it up etc etc

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 September, 2018 11:26
Sorry, I was being drole. (I'm not too interested in watching any of that stuff in truth, but can understand how others would be)

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

14 September, 2018 11:56
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Personally I do not and will not use social media as I know a number of people who have had very bad experiences doing so.

Bob, my dear old sock, COML is a social media platform though not on the scale of others like Facebook or Instagram...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

14 September, 2018 13:02
"I don't use social media because a couple of people have had bad experiences" (Sm147)

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

15 September, 2018 20:10
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Bob, my dear old sock, COML is a social media platform though not on the scale of others like Facebook or Instagram...

I hear it is possible to be criticised on social media for not being qualified to do your job. Or for not punching enough people in your former job. That wouldn't happen on COML of course...

MESSAGES->author
Tall Paul (IP Logged)

19 September, 2018 00:20
On a related subject, has anyone else been listening to the new Podcast? Bath Rugby Plug I think it is called. I am not sure who the guys doing it are, how qualified or how well connected they are, but quite enjoying it so far. Only early days but well worth a listen.

Elliott Stooke- proudly adopted for 2018-19

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

19 September, 2018 14:25
Call me old fashioned/30 years old, but is there any great need to have the best social media channels and content? Yes I can't deny I enjoy hearing what Roko's favourite film is, or the "bants" between the Welsh guys at the start of the season, but if I'm honest the quality of filming, audio etc is irrelevant when I'm a Bath supporter because of the club and the rugby.

Granted we need to promote the club and revenue is crucial in this day and age from such marketing. But if we save x-amount of pounds on a "Social Media Executive/Officer/Champion" or four, and spent it on all things coaching/training set up/Rec development/facilities I'd be far happier. I'd be interested to know what percentage of revenue each year comes as a result of our social media platform in comparison to other ways and means. Do we as a public judge a club upon its media channels that highly? How does it really influence fans and the public? How does it hinder us if so? If I'm being blind or missing something glaringly obviously please enlighten me as I am genuinely curious.

I enjoy aspects of social media a great deal but to me, if we lag behind other clubs I won't lose sleep.

Adopted Player 2017-18.....Semesa "Freak of Nature" Rokoduguni

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

19 September, 2018 14:53
I'm not losing sleep either, that would be stupid. It's just another area we're behind on, and again this isn't about finding out "what Roko's favourite film is". That kind of fluff is the kind of content Bath do put out. A quick trawl at other club's recent video content:

Gloucester: A Day in the Life of

Harlequins: Paul Gustard, mic'd up

Cardiff Blues: Uncovered, multi-part behind the scenes

Sarries: Catching up with the coaches

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

19 September, 2018 18:07
I see. That's a vastly different and more interesting array of content and I'd much rather watch any of those. The insight into the club i support would be fascinating and leave me feeling better connected.

Definitely time Bath sorted it out

Off to watch those videos now Ballsout, cheers!

Adopted Player 2017-18.....Semesa "Freak of Nature" Rokoduguni

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

19 September, 2018 20:26

Tiger in the Bath
Tiger in the Bath (IP Logged)

20 September, 2018 08:18
I think it is straightforwardly a commercial decision

I expect Bath will up their publicity and social media when there is a bigger stadium with seats to sell. At the moment, everything sells out - apart from the Clash which is marketed very heavily.

So to me the club doesn't need to spend any more money on personnel to put together and put out more content at the moment, so they won't.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

21 September, 2018 12:33
I never watched it when they used to do lots. I suspect their stats will have told them it wasn't worth it - video is very time consuming to create.

Stuart

Former ed.

Frome Lurkers
Frome Lurkers (IP Logged)

21 September, 2018 14:40
""I'm not losing sleep either, that would be stupid. It's just another area we're behind on, and again this isn't about finding out "what Roko's favourite film is". That kind of fluff is the kind of content Bath do put out. A quick trawl at other club's recent video content:

Gloucester: A Day in the Life of

Harlequins: Paul Gustard, mic'd up

Cardiff Blues: Uncovered, multi-part behind the scenes

Sarries: Catching up with the coaches""

Ah so that's what it is. Bit boring isn't it. But then when the games are on TV ( tonight switch on game at 7.44pm switch off at final whistle) I'm interested in the game not what the unexperts think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2018 14:41 by Frome Lurkers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net