rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Faletau Out - Broken Arm
09 October, 2018 13:24
Fortunately Underhill and Louw coming back, with Ellis and Mercer performing excellently.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

Re: Faletau Out - Broken Arm
09 October, 2018 13:45
Know some will be angry that we arenít getting enough from him in terms of number of games, but I was just impressed how he got up and attempted another tackle. Committed.

MESSAGES->author
Griff (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 14:07
@#$%& Biscuits!

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

Sam Underhill Adopted Player 2018/19

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 14:12
What bad luck, now we have 4 Lions out injured.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 14:15
I feel really sorry for Taulupe. The poor bloke cannot get any luck from his injuries in the same way his cousin Billy V cannot either. These big powerful Tongan boys can still break like us mere mortals it appears!

I hope it is not too serious and does not keep him out long term. We are fortunate that there is some ability to rotate in the back row luckily as we are well stocked here but for Faletau himself that is not consolation. The mental strength to keep bringing yourself back each time from these injuries is the toughest toll of all.

Best of luck with his recovery!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 14:46
He hardly got injured in his Dragons days. Would go seasons without missing any time off.

Then he signed for Bath...

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 15:01
That is really bad news for TP personally........
but just think - as far as Bath is concerned it will give him a good rest - perhaps a silver lining.

But when-oh -when will these horrible injuries end for the club?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 15:06
Quote:
ballsout
He hardly got injured in his Dragons days. Would go seasons without missing any time off.

He's played the same number of games for Bath as he usually did for Dragons. Never played more than 14 a season in the Pro12.

ShortyinBurnham
ShortyinBurnham (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 15:08
At least we will avoid getting another fine for releasing him to play for Wales outside of the International window again!

Horrible luck though for him, but I am sure that Zach will take his opportunity to really show what he can do for us.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 16:27
A shame for him. Hope it wonít keep him out for too long - anyone know rough estimate?

Mercer to shine and Grant - who I think would be first choice for a few Prem clubs at 8 - to get some game time.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 18:01
Is it me?!

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 18:03
We need a fit and firing TF and although he has flattered to deceive, he might have proved useful in time. Not now I fear. Another highly paid individual eating up valuable salary cap which could go to 2 others no doubt, hungrier and able to grow and learn with growing commitment to Bath.

TF has never really consistently shone like he does for the Lions and Wales which I find a great shame as we really do need his best game in our struggling, inconsistent side. I was ecstatic when I heard we had secured his signature but feel deflated with his performances and, in particular, the number of his appearances.

We are lucky that we have talented youngsters like Zach, Ellis, Bayliss etc, coming through, especially as Grant has looked way off the pace from what I have seen this season. But they will struggle to match a TF top performance.

Get well soon Talaupe but come back all guns blazing not at half cock this time please.

Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 18:28
That's more than a little harsh BoB.

Gutted he is out, and not so quick to gain solace from our young guys waiting to fill the gap.

S@ds law will say that we lose another first choice to injury, plus AI call-ups.

Faletau is class, he has performed well in the BBW, this is a real blow.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 18:30
Jeez BoB do you like any of our players?! TF is absolute class. Hopefully just a hairline and back in the new year.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 19:01
Itís not just Bath, Marland Yarde out for the season with that horrible looking knee injury. Hugely attritional game... What is going on with Conor Murrayís neck?

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 19:01 by BathMatt53.

BerkeleyWood
The Bear (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 20:47
Quote:
hasta
Quote:
ballsout

He's played the same number of games for Bath as he usually did for Dragons. Never played more than 14 a season in the Pro12.

This is the pertinent point. It's not a Bath failing (though we're probably worse than average), it's a premiership failing. But I much prefer the Prem to Pro Rugby, so it's a difficult balance to strike.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 21:14
Quote:
BathOvalBaller
We need a fit and firing TF and although he has flattered to deceive, he might have proved useful in time. Not now I fear. Another highly paid individual eating up valuable salary cap which could go to 2 others no doubt, hungrier and able to grow and learn with growing commitment to Bath.

Its got to be said BOvB you are a most unpleasant poster. Every time you criticise a professional athlete's commitment and desire I look to the heavens and pray that you'll run into one of them and that they'll know that it's you that posts this tripe.

Best of luck with the recovery TF, rotten luck for those in the BBW again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 21:15 by Beergoggles.

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

09 October, 2018 21:29
Gutted, brilliant player who we are lucky to have. Think those who have knocked him in a Bath shirt have missed all the work he is doing. He has been playing a much more defensive role for us and getting through masses of work. Would imagine that it appears that he isnít performing in some people eyes probably because when he is shining so well with Wales and the Lions he has a much more solid platform and better players around him.

Well worth the money, he is world class and any club would want him on their books!

copester
copester (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 05:38
really bad luck for him and the club. Hopefully hes not out too long.

adopted player 18/19. Cooper Vuna.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 08:34
I don't have the depth of knowledge of some of you so can't really understand the work he does when carrying and not tackling. Because, to me, he hasn't carried well and he hasn't been a wall in defence.
I think Mercer has been a better player, with the ball at least.
Also, hoping this gives an opportunity for Miles Reid to get a look in. Would like to see more of him.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 08:44
I would have thought that Bayliss and Grant are ahead of Reid, but the upcoming Premiership Rugby Cup should give all the squad players an opportunity for some game time.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 09:04
If you consider the worldís greatest back row forwards over the years, they have always been noticeable, particularly those of an attacking nature. They make their presence felt & have a massive influence on virtually every game in which they play. This has been the case with Faletau in the past but hardly ever with us. Iím sure heís trying hard & you canít blame the players around him who are no mugs. I doubt if he would say he has hit top form as yet. Itís a pity because he was probably getting there but this injury has set him & us back yet again.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 09:56
I personally think we are just not able to get the best from Faletau more than it being he has not delivered for us. He is terrific for Wales and the Lions after all when playing with top players...

We are trying to play a game with our back row forwards staying quite wide at times so that they can attack the weaker areas where backs are defending and give us chances to either break the line or get offloads etc. It also helps speed up our ball when they hit a ruck out wide comparative to backs only hitting these (old forward banter there!!)

Where our offence though has not exactly been so sharp the last couple of years this has not given anyone much of a chance to shine realistically - not just TF. We are lucky that we have someone like Zach Mercer as an alternative option to be honest at 8. I think this is Zach's best position as he is so quick for a big guy but he is still green and so young too that I think his development is being well managed getting a chance to play across the back row alongside TF and Louw etc and not just shadowing TF at 8.

To BoB's comments I would say that in this day and age of player welfare you could not be more insensitive to suggest that TF being injured is keeping us from having a couple of other players. This is how TF makes his livelihood, is the thing he loves to do and, as the work being done on mental health is revealing, has a large bearing on the identity these guys give themselves. To not be able to go out and compete and do what he enjoys is probably incredibly upsetting for TF, not to mention the fact that breaking bones @#$%& hurts!!
These guys are not just commodities or investments but human beings too. Have a little compassion please. We all want the club to do well but I personally could not care any less or more that it is one of our highest paid players injured. It is upsetting for the individual either way and as consistently proven by the best teams - it does not matter whom is injured as you need strength in the entire squad so whether they are 3rd choice in their position or your marquee signing you want them all fit and healthy as they all have a part to play!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 10:36
Tbf to BoB, Felatau is a marquee player and we haven't had good value out of him. Regardless of whose fault that is, it's just a fact.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 10:39
Nicely put Big Dog. The problem is that he is having to do so much defensive work that we arenít getting to see him in all his glory.

When with Wales and Lions he has a dominant or at least a pack on par with the opposition, they are not getting outplayed at the break down and so he can play more attacking and be a much greater influence.

I know he isnít surrounded by mugs, but we are hardly dominating games up front since heís been here. Also every game is different, and we donít know what the coaches have asked him to do before each game, meaning that they may say do this and this which will allow Mercer to play differently, hence Zac looks brilliant in attack and we end up thinking Faletau isnít pulling up trees (I do think Zac is a fantastic player by the way).

With regards to the great back row forwards over the years comment above, everyone I thought of all had people around them doing the hard jobs which enables them to look good and influence in an attacking manner, and Parisse aside (is all I could really think of) are playing club or international rugby with players that arenít getting outplayed and having to defend constantly.

I just donít get why some have said he isnít worth keeping and we are not getting value from him (I know now injured but before that). I also donít get some fans who seem to get a bee in their bonnets about certain individuals (this isnít directed at anybody, so please donít take offence).
I did it with Charteris before, and recently with Faletau (even George Smith during Bristol game as was bored) and just spent 10 minutes watching the player and not the game (My coaches head back on). I watch what they do, the line they run, breakdown work etc etc and I bet if others did it they would have a lot better opinions of some of our players. Not everyone can be flair players all the time, some have to do the hard yards to make way for others to shine.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 10:59
People keep banging on about the 'quality' of players as if ours are not good enough.

Not true.

The Exeter game showed the difference between the teams was anything but quality. It is Fitness and Coaching.

We were still doing it last year and we're still doing it now: Lining up too shallow in attack and taking the ball stationary, leading to easily picked off flat passes and no momentum into the collision.

The warm up frustrates the hell out of me too. Contrast what Exeter and Bath were doing on Friday night. So far as I can tell Bath have done the same warm up for years now.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 12:04
maybe not this year, but ive seen Falatau have some great games for us. Whether marquee players who are internationals and British Lions are value for money is a bigger question.

Given potential for injury and absence...on the whole I would say probably not

MESSAGES->author
roywalker (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 16:19
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
BathOvalBaller

Its got to be said BOvB you are a most unpleasant poster. Every time you criticise a professional athlete's commitment and desire I look to the heavens and pray that you'll run into one of them and that they'll know that it's you that posts this tripe.

Best of luck with the recovery TF, rotten luck for those in the BBW again.

+1 This

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 08:02
Pictures of TF doing community work on Thursday with no sling, cast or any sort of protection on the arm - it really can't be a bad one?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 09:39
That needs explaining then, any link for those pics?

I suppose you can break your arm technically without the bone separating but shouldn't there be some protection to stop you banging your arm and aggravating the injury?

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 10:05
Twitter. Check out @MandoSolutionsís Tweet: [twitter.com]

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 12:26
It said 'this month', may have been before the break.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 15:32
He had a cast on at the match today

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net