rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

Flow and Kahn
10 October, 2018 12:15
Just a thought, as we are losing Booth and Edwards at end of the season, would these two be able to step up into a coaching role? One as backs coach and other as forwards coach, development from within

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

Re: Flow and Kahn
10 October, 2018 12:25
It's a romantic idea, but given the number of people who go apoplectic over Hoops being groomed to be DoR after only a few years post-playing experience, I can see some people being scraped off the roof if these players were instantly promoted to coach.

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 12:34
did not do Baxter much harm at Exeter

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 12:37
Baxter had a lot of time and started in the Championship.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 14:51
I think it would be good to keep them in the setup and start them at Academy level first perhaps. Introduce them to coaching the United team then before throwing them into first team level imo.

That is presuming either of them want to be involved in coaching. Francois quite often gets involved in punditry and things when injured so I wonder whether he is more interested in that sort of thing? Kahn is a very cerebral intelligent player and so I suspect may be more inclined to go into coaching. He may though just want a normal life and job which nobody would begrudge him either when he calls it a day!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 16:03
There's no real relationship between someone being a good player and them being a good coach.

If someone's seen something in them that suggests they'll be good, then why not? But have you seen such a thing? Otherwise you might as well suggest the guy on the tannoy.

Hooper probably is a step ahead in that someone must have seen something in him that is favourable, I have to admit I've not seen any evidence of it, and I worry that the good thing that's seen in him is that he's a nice affable chap, who gets on with the fans and will do what Bruce tells him.

In both cases what bothers me is people suggesting they'll be great, or even good, with nothing to base that opinion on.

The "well Baxter did it" also bothers me. Not because it took time, but you can't suggest it will work in another case just because the two vaguely share the same experience. That would mean most professional players will be great coaches. Equally you can't write someone off on the basis of Martin Johnson.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

12 October, 2018 07:51
Brad Barrit is the sort of guy I could see stepping up. He appears to have something about him and has an ability to structure a defence.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

12 October, 2018 08:50
Quote:
cb2
Brad Barrit is the sort of guy I could see stepping up. He appears to have something about him and has an ability to structure a defence.

There is a massive difference in skillset between being able to organise, lead and direct a group/team in game time and to coach/develop improvement in skills away from the heat of the match

Not saying he hasn't got that it is just that excellence in one area doesn't necessarily transfer into excellence in the other

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

12 October, 2018 09:23
Quote:
DanWiley
Hooper probably is a step ahead in that someone must have seen something in him that is favourable, I have to admit I've not seen any evidence of it, and I worry that the good thing that's seen in him is that he's a nice affable chap, who gets on with the fans and will do what Bruce tells him.

I just donít get this, Dan. Hooper is being groomed as DoR, not a coach. On that basis, what evidence do you have to suggest heís doing a good job or otherwise? It strikes me heís being blamed for everyone elseís failings.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

12 October, 2018 11:03
Quote:
Hydor18
I just donít get this, Dan. Hooper is being groomed as DoR, not a coach. On that basis, what evidence do you have to suggest heís doing a good job or otherwise? It strikes me heís being blamed for everyone elseís failings

That's nonsense ! We all know it's Charlie Ewell's fault for not punching enough people.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

12 October, 2018 12:55
And I hear Guy Mercer has been phoning coaching tips to Hooper.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 October, 2018 13:03
Has Guy Mercer picked up any sort of contract? I haven't heard a thing since he left other than the 7s guest appearance.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

12 October, 2018 13:27
Currently lying low until Todd goes then he will be an outsider for DoR.

Rumoured to be hoping to recruit Anthony Joshua as skills coach. (Bocool smiley

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

12 October, 2018 14:22
Don't think either Mr Hooper or Mr Mercer would even get into an Old Prostates team at present unless they are exceptional at bribing the selection committee with copious amounts of alcohol. (And it would have to be copious amounts!) Neither appeared very adept at leading the troops, chatting to refs, bollocking players or giving it some biff, which many OP's have made a career of.

Never mind, Charlie Ewels has time on his side to step up to the mark, twonk someone as big as himself and as long as he leaves those weak non- alcoholic lager shandies alone and starts drinking either Wadsworths, Newcastle Brown or Doom Bar. Shame one cannot find Bass anymore.

However, I am sure a space on the bench could be found for Flow and Kahn when not needed at the Rec HQ..... Trouble is OP's only have a few tin baths with irregular supplies of warm water (you have to bring your own soap and shampoo), and the changing facilities can be somewhat spartan compared to the luxuries of Farleigh Spa. The after match bangers and beans do go down well though. Ah well lets see what they are made of...

Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 October, 2018 14:27
Does the Star in the Paragon not still sell Bass?

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

12 October, 2018 14:30
Yes and in four pint jugs!

Bathovalballer

12 October, 2018 14:33
Thanks for that, I shall look in at The Star. Didn't know Bass was still being brewed.

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

17 October, 2018 11:59
According to somerset live, Flo not (yet) been offered a new contract

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 October, 2018 12:43
He will be 34 at the end of the season - its another tough one. I would probably offer him another year as he still seems to be doing what he does best, but maybe he will want something longer?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

17 October, 2018 12:47
Such a similar player to Underhill and with a million miles on the clock. Needs a hard-headed decision, not an emotional one.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

17 October, 2018 13:03
For me, itís just like JC versus Banahan.

In the long term, it looks like weíve made the right decision but my heart still hopes we remain loyal to one of our longest serving servants.

However, marquee money could be better spent elsewhere, on a 3 or a 10, as Ellis, Bayliss, Reid and Underhill play 7.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 October, 2018 16:08
So, with Louw injured a bit and seemingly away with South Africa fairly regularly there is chat on this forum about whether he is good value for money or not. With that in mind, I wondered what the thoughts were on Etzebeth potentially coming to England after the w/c.

Linked in TRP with Tigers and Bristol apparently.

[www.bristolpost.co.uk]

If Dave A goes would we want Etzebeth? Briliant player, with availability and injury issues as well as a stonking salary (£900k but doesn't say over how long).

Now Malakai Fekitoa I would welcome with open arms and is also available...

SteveCh
SteveCh (IP Logged)

18 October, 2018 07:44
Both are unaffordable. We have allowed 2 players outside of the cap, so their eye watering money would have to come out of the same pot we need to divide up between our existing and rising stars.

Looking after home developed talent is more important for me than buying in superstars who may not gel with the rest of the squad or cause resentment because their package has left mates to look elsewhere for a place to play.

Bathovalballer

Re: Flow and Kahn's
18 October, 2018 07:57
If Flouw goes, and also Dave Attwood, I would like us to get a top class replacement and Etzebeth could easily be the man.

I would like Flouw to stay for at least a season, hopefully passing on his knowledge and skills to the likes of Underhill and Ellis.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 October, 2018 10:10
Quote:
SteveCh
Both are unaffordable. We have allowed 2 players outside of the cap, so their eye watering money would have to come out of the same pot we need to divide up between our existing and rising stars.
Looking after home developed talent is more important for me than buying in superstars who may not gel with the rest of the squad or cause resentment because their package has left mates to look elsewhere for a place to play.

Who are the two marquee players currently? TF maybe one?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net