rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
PhilipS
PhilipS (IP Logged)

Bath v Toulouse
13 October, 2018 20:54
My God. Thatchers is blurring my vision. Did I see yet another try needlessly thrown away again ? Wasn't the riot act read and lessons learnt from the Bristol game? Felt the game was thrown by the spear tackle - the momentum swung. Season looks over - shan't be popping down to watch - far too stressful. Things look dire. I'll stick to the xmas market!

I fear sorting the problems out at Bath this season will be like walking through hell with petrol soaked underpants. Ciao

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

Re: Bath v Toulouse
13 October, 2018 20:56
Ciao.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

Bath v Toulouse
13 October, 2018 12:23
HT

17 v 12 - 2 tries each

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 12:27
If we can stop dropping the ball, and cut out the aimless kicks that have creeped in I reckon we’re in a good position to win this.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 12:31
Need to clean up the lineout and get Freddie to kick straight. Good continuity on the ball, can we keep it up for 80?

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 12:32
Bendy looking very francais

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 12:35
All a bit tense, really need to nail them in the tackle first time, we are slipping of a few!

Dave Atwood seems to love crashing into French forwards!

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://image.ibb.co/maFJzT/darren_atkins_4.jpg

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 12:55
A pub team can hang onto the ball better than us. Just awful.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 12:58
This is a really low calibre game from both teams.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:04
We’re comically inept at controlling the ball. Good thing champion teams like Sarries, Leinster and Exeter are too.

Oh wait.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:12
We get into a good position, struggle to break the gun line so kick through aimlessly and end up losing 90m... shock

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:16
Green's service is much quicker, just ups the tempo of the game.

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

Chuzwozza
Chuzwozza (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:21
Wow. Just wow. How bad are we?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:21
Burns has just given the game to Toulouse TWICE

supermarinematt
supermarinematt (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:22
As good as Fred is, how many points has he given up in recent weeks. Unreal.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:24
FFS

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:28
Come on then Toddy, give us the positives again!

Chuzwozza
Chuzwozza (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:29
Quote:
supermarinematt

Unforgivably poor. Priestland not much better.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

Honestly, what do you do with Freddie now? Drop him? Play him to help his confidence?

Nightmare.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

An abysmal result.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:31
Bath's mental coach has got a massive project to sort out Freddie Burns now. That passage of play could destroy him for quite a while!

supermarinematt
supermarinematt (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:32
Quote:
BathBurger
Honestly, what do you do with Freddie now? Drop him? Play him to help his confidence?
Nightmare.

Not sure there is much else we can do other than play him.

BathHalfFull
BathHalfFull (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:36
That was extraordinary. Utterly hapless by burns who had already left 9 points out there but also amazing that the game finished before time was up. I can't understand how that can happen. Those last five minutes have left me a bit bewildered. I feel for burns and he won't ever do it again but he deserves an absolute beasting in training for a bit of cathartic therapy and then head up and back to it.

sirtidychris
sirtidychris (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:37
I thought priestland was ok, he seemed our only back to break the gain line for most the game. Right now I would make freddy play for the United side for the next few games just cause I'm so @#$%& at him, everyone misses kicks but the celebration is a shocker what a plank. The sensible thing would be to play him next game, seriously Bath are such painful watching roll on Leinster and wasps....

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:38
Quote:
BathHalfFull
That was extraordinary. Utterly hapless by burns who had already left 9 points out there but also amazing that the game finished before time was up. I can't understand how that can happen. Those last five minutes have left me a bit bewildered. I feel for burns and he won't ever do it again but he deserves an absolute beasting in training for a bit of cathartic therapy and then head up and back to it.

+1

stephen4944
stephen4944 (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:38
Flats said on commentary that he would learn from it and not do it again.
Did he not learn from Homer's similar balls up just a few games ago?!
How many more players need to fail to get the ball down when over the line! Just not good enough!

MESSAGES->author
Duke of Earl (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:40
We need to get James Wilson back from New Zealand.

Nothing can stop the Duke of Earl

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:42
Quote:
ken_jnr

Sorry Ken , but that has nothing at all to do with Todd Blackadder, I like Freddie Burns but he missed kicks earlier, the missed a simple penalty then got cocky. Given he was playing at 15 because Homer did the same it is INEXCUSABLE.

Barnetsarrie12
Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:42
I feel so so so bad for Freddie Burns. He had a shocking 10 minutes, from the easy kick to not scoring the try. Hope he can get his head up and I really don't like to pile on someone, seeing him visibly emotional was sad to see.

I really hope this is a lesson to many other players to stop doing that as I have seen many players all over the world do that. Amazing hustle by Medard though as most players would have given up there

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:45
I would spend a lot of money finding a fly half who can take it to the line and have some degree of reliability.
God I feel for Fred and he’s such a talent, but seriously?! You just cannot do that, you really can’t. Gutting.
Rhys I thought was just far too bloody pensive, never fixes the first defender and as a centre myself I always know what he’s gonna do...
Compare them to cipriani, ford, carberry etc and they’re not even on the level of sexton or Farrell yet for reliability...
I love our club and want to stick by Fred through this, he will be his own biggest critic, but @#$%& me they have let us down today.
I also thought the ref was guff - missed red card, kaino yellow wasn’t a yellow and I don’t get the clock decision - but the forwards did enough to win that and our fly halves, I feel, threw it away. Gutted.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:45
Freddie’s screw ups will divert from the real problem: yet again we were ahead at 60 minutes then lost.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:52
Quote:
TCM2007
Freddie’s screw ups will divert from the real problem: yet again we were ahead at 60 minutes then lost.

What more could the team do then Stuart, they got field position for the penalty the kept possesion for the try they crossed the line then KABOOM, Freddy's head fell off.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:53
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
ken_jnr

Sorry Ken , but that has nothing at all to do with Todd Blackadder, I like Freddie Burns but he missed kicks earlier, the missed a simple penalty then got cocky. Given he was playing at 15 because Homer did the same it is INEXCUSABLE.

We didn’t only lose because Freddie didn’t put the ball down. The loss has everything to do with the guy at the top. We had no continuity, our lineout was a shambles at times, people dropped the ball, got stripped, we didn’t manage the game well, we tried to play direct rugby against a bigger team and we looked like we were crapping ourselves for the first 20 minutes until we got our first score.

Toulouse were powerful but lazy and were there for the taking but we couldn’t. It was a good job Louw turned over so much ball because we kept giving it away with such ease.

I would also add that having two players drop the ball over the line at crucial times in the first 8 weeks of the season doesn’t speak highly of the standards and expectations within the squad.

Freddie made a HOWLER but who was screaming “‘man on!” Why are so many of our basics so poor? Why do We keep the ball so poorly? Why do we not seem to have a game plan other than ruck/pass then kick when we run out of players? Either we have poor players (the number of caps suggests this isn’t it), poor coaching or poor culture. The last two of those comes from the top. Which is Todd.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 13:59
People blaming Todd for dropped ball, poor lineout etc are just looking for a scapegoat imo. We showed some good attacking play, especially through Roberts, Louw was awesome and Underhill added a real energy.

ChippenhamRoman
ChippenhamRoman (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:03
Hold the ball with two hands and Fall on the EFFIN ball!

J

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:04
These things have been a feature of the last three seasons regardless of the players in the team. The only consistent thing in that time has been Blackadder, our shirt sponsor and our level of performance. People not blaming Todd are focussing on the symptom and not the cause IMV.

stephen4944
stephen4944 (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:08
Quote:
ChippenhamRoman
Hold the ball with two hands and Fall on the EFFIN ball!
J
+1

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:11
That's me done for the season, past caring and commenting for now...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:21
We have become a joke. I half expect the Benny Hill theme to start playing over the tannoy. Freddie's 'mistake' was the worst thing I have ever seen on the Rec in 25 years. That being said we should never have been in that position. Priestland was awful. Please god please let us sign a new 10 for next year - because this season is already a write off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/10/2018 14:23 by dannyf2.

Hamptonite
Hamptonite (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:30
Yes, but Freddie’s cock ups would have denied Toulouse a point!

Not a lot of skill required to complete both of his tasks!

As the coaches state ZTR!

incastrowetrust
Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:36
Quote:
dannyf2
We have become a joke. I half expect the Benny Hill theme to start playing over the tannoy. Freddie's 'mistake' was the worst thing I have ever seen on the Rec in 25 years. That being said we should never have been in that position. Priestland was awful. Please god please let us sign a new 10 for next year - because this season is already a write off.

I don’t know Vesty and Varndell was pretty bad.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:39
That was a monumental error from Freddie that may have invited demons in his mind. Our lady mind coach will have one heluva job to do to get Freddie right to get back on the horse.

Apart from that diabolical error I thought the tricky wind made kicking difficult and some kicks should have gone to the corners. Yes, game management was an issue. We should have beaten this Toulouse team and some coaching needs to be done on how to get control of the game and keep it.

One last thing, showboat by all means but get the effing ball down first!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:40
Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
Quote:
dannyf2

I don’t know Vesty and Varndell was pretty bad.

Yeah that was bad - but it was before the in goal area abd we still won by 5. Freddie's was just unfathomable. I still can't believe what I saw.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:41
That was far from the worst over the line f up I've seen. Freddie wasn't THAT casual or showing off to a huge degree. It was a great bit of determination and no little skill from the defender.

It's possibly one of the most frustrating I've seen, but not the worst

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:42
Quote:
CoochieCoo
That was a monumental error from Freddie that may have invited demons in his mind. Our lady mind coach will have one heluva job to do to get Freddie right to get back on the horse.
Apart from that diabolical error I thought the tricky wind made kicking difficult and some kicks should have gone to the corners. Yes, game management was an issue. We should have beaten this Toulouse team and some coaching needs to be done on how to get control of the game and keep it.

One last thing, showboat by all means but get the effing ball down first!

Yes. Game management = new fly half. Surely?

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:44
No real penetration from our forwards through the middle, it all seemed to come from out wide. Compare with theirs, they seemed to gain ground every time. Kicking seemed well executed for the most part. However, yet another try comes from no one from Bath claiming the high ball, we just stand there looking at it, they take it out wide and catch us on the back foot.

Can’t see us sorting this shambles out before Leinster who will demolish us.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:45
Quote:
DanWiley
That was far from the worst over the line f up I've seen. Freddie wasn't THAT casual or showing off to a huge degree. It was a great bit of determination and no little skill from the defender.

You're a good man!
Freddie's gonna need a complete confidence transplant.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:47
Freddie's next game will say a lot about him. What would a great player do? Consider it, learn from it, move on, smash the next one.

It could be a crisis point for him, but crisis can go both ways.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:48
Quote:
supermarinematt

He’s not good.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 14:51
Quote:
BathBurger
People blaming Todd for dropped ball, poor lineout etc are just looking for a scapegoat imo. We showed some good attacking play, especially through Roberts, Louw was awesome and Underhill added a real energy.

Oh come on. We didn’t touch the ball for almost the entire second half. When we did we lost it one or two passes later.

The worst thing about Freddie’s screw up is that it’ll 100% gloss over the fact that we were utterly inept for 60 minutes of that match. Like we are every week.

Just terrible, terrible rugby. I struggle to even call it rugby.

Deckchair
Deckchair (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 15:09
Two poor sides playing an entertaining and incident packed game, but entertaining for all the wrong reasons. At least for Bath.
Bath are just making the same basic schoolboy mistakes week in, week out. Today the focus of rage and ire will understandably be directed at FB for his mare of a game (gotta feel for him) but that shouldn't mask the fact that, once again, Bath are and were just not good enough and are not showing signs of getting noticeably better. Poor back line play, clunking set pieces (today it was the line out) and the usual litany of dropped balls, lame brain sin bins and penalties and all wrapped up in the usual final twenty minute brain melt. Get a lead, throw it away.
I have a notion that our European adventure this year is destined for ignominy and embarrassment and will only serve to risk more players to injury and keep us stagnant in the cellars of the Premiership.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 15:15
If you had a sinister mind you would say we threw that match as it would have been easier to win than lose it. The number of self inflicted wounds we cause ourselves is unbelievable. I am also still waiting to see any signicant improvement in our attacking play following the appointment of Dempsey. I thought from the start that we would lose all our group matches & I still do. We have to focus on our next Premiership match against Worcester. If we play like we did with the same number of errors we will surely lose. So far this season we have not had one really good performance & at present it is difficult to see where our next win will come from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/10/2018 15:17 by Bath Hammer.

terracehugger
terracehugger (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 15:35
Two aspects of our game today have reached a completely new level.

Ineffective coaching of basic skills and amateurish showboating.

Both disgraceful.

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 16:01
I just really struggle to see how a fly half who drifts out with the defence and fixes none of them only to ship it on to a man who’s been lined up since the move started is ever going to benefit us. One step inside, put the defence on their heels, and the game opens up. Rhys was awful today apart from his kicking.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 16:02
Quote:
dannyf2
Quote:
DanWiley

You're a good man!
Freddie's gonna need a complete confidence transplant.
Preferably at another club unless he starts pulling up trees in the next few games...

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 16:07
Quote:
benjbath
I just really struggle to see how a fly half who drifts out with the defence and fixes none of them only to ship it on to a man who’s been lined up since the move started is ever going to benefit us. One step inside, put the defence on their heels, and the game opens up. Rhys was awful today apart from his kicking.

Yes - exactly this. I'm so glad it isn't just me. Terrible.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 16:07
Quote:
Bath Hammer
If you had a sinister mind you would say we threw that match as it would have been easier to win than lose it. The number of self inflicted wounds we cause ourselves is unbelievable. I am also still waiting to see any signicant improvement in our attacking play following the appointment of Dempsey. I thought from the start that we would lose all our group matches & I still do. We have to focus on our next Premiership match against Worcester. If we play like we did with the same number of errors we will surely lose. So far this season we have not had one really good performance & at present it is difficult to see where our next win will come from.
Agree with this though I would suggest that Dempsey hasn’t been here long enough yet. I am utterly baffled as to why Blackadder continues to receive the backing of the club. We have hugely talented players who look inept, unfit and unable to think clearly when the pressure comes on.

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 16:10
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Agree with this though I would suggest that Dempsey hasn’t been here long enough yet. I am utterly baffled as to why Blackadder continues to receive the backing of the club. We have hugely talented players who look inept, unfit and unable to think clearly when the pressure comes on.

They did look tired at 60mins.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 16:15
Are we allowed to withdraw from this competition and save further embarrassment?(Sm136)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty

40 Mile
40 Mile (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 16:28
If every game was 60 minutes, our win ratio would be far higher!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 19:26
Toulouse had lost their previous five games against Premiership teams, their last win (before today) was against, you guessed it, us, 3 years ago.

rodoftherec
rodoftherec (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 20:10
At the moment we do not have a decent fit number 9 - Cook was hopeless and two of their tries came directly from his nothing kicks. We lack a decent 10 and that was predictable once GF took himself off. We lack penetrative centres other than those who are injured and our line out was a shambles most of the time. When they got the ball they always looked likely to score but we did not. I think the players are overall good enough but it really is time to get rid of TB sadly - going nowhere for another season with him at the helm as the buck stops with him - but why be surprised as the guy has never won anything !

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 21:29
P.S. Thought Flo had a good game - def firing on all cylinders. Wonder where he's been for the past few weeks - not up at Farleigh anyway! LOL!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 22:28
Quote:
rodoftherec
At the moment we do not have a decent fit number 9 - Cook was hopeless and two of their tries came directly from his nothing kicks. We lack a decent 10 and that was predictable once GF took himself off. We lack penetrative centres other than those who are injured and our line out was a shambles most of the time. When they got the ball they always looked likely to score but we did not. I think the players are overall good enough but it really is time to get rid of TB sadly - going nowhere for another season with him at the helm as the buck stops with him - but why be surprised as the guy has never won anything !

I don’t think it achieves much to rubbish our players. We have a high enough proportion of fit high calibre players to put on a better showing than this. It is also pointless to go on discussing the merits or lack of in respect of TB. He is going nowhere for the foreseeable future. New coaches will be appointed though so maybe that will help.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 22:47
Fred is a professional rugby player who just demonstrated the most appalling unprofessionalism and thereby cost us the game and our European season. What message would picking him again immediately send to the rest of the squad? If Todd (or Hoops) wants to drive standards someone's got to take a bullet for that feck up "pour encourager les autres". Barring injuries, i wouldnt start him for the rest of the season.

We lost at home, with Leinster and Wasps home and away to come. A ruthless pragmatist would say "not gonna qualify now" chuck it in and concentrate on the Prem. And he'd be right.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/10/2018 22:49 by joethefanatic.

BerkeleyWood
The Bear (IP Logged)

13 October, 2018 22:53
9 has been a weakness for a very long time. I'm not sure any of the current crop are the answer (maybe Chudley if we see him). But then when Green came on, half the time we didn't seem to know what to do with faster ball.

The basics and the naivety of the team are really what concerns me. We'll point to an isolated incident but we're glossing over the fact that we just can't command the basics.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 05:10
JTF you really wouldn’t start Fred for the rest of the season? So we have 2 FHs for every one of the remaining games of the season because Fred did something foolish? Seems like cutting off our nose to spite our face to me, we don’t have the luxury of leaving players (esp 10s) out IMO.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 05:24
Quote:
BathMatt53
JTF you really wouldn’t start Fred for the rest of the season? So we have 2 FHs for every one of the remaining games of the season because Fred did something foolish? Seems like cutting off our nose to spite our face to me, we don’t have the luxury of leaving players (esp 10s) out IMO.

Perhaps just the rest of the year. More widely, we have a steady Eddie 10 and a maverick 10. We are not good enough to cover the inevitable issues a maverick 10 brings (and I accept that yesterday was not a maverick issue, just a basic error). I'd start Rhys for the rest of the season because I think he's best for the team we have.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 07:07
One abiding memory of the game has to be the feet of their 14 - he was like a rugby Michael Flatley, they were a blur! He is a tiny chap, it’s good to see that size hasn’t overtaken pure natural ability in the modern game.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 07:38
Last year we failed to get the bonus point in our opening match and it eventually ended up costing us qualification from the group. We have clearly learned from that and made sure we got a bonus point this time around! Small steps ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/10/2018 07:39 by dcsh.

SarrieSaint
SarrieSaint (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 07:57
I do feel for Freddie. Just my view but I don't think he was show-boating but just the emotion of the moment overtook him. He knew he messed up an easy kick and then he gets a chance to redeem himself. Ofc common sense says just ground the ball but I can quite see him getting caught up in the moment, kissing the badge, saying thanks to the crowd and unfortunately getting caught out.

I don't know how long his contract is but anyone who's followed his game knows that he is a confidence player and that even in ideal circumstances it takes him quite a while to really jell with the team, it did with both Glaws and Tigers. As such I think you just have to keep backing him and hope that the incredibly skilful talented player that he can be is realised at Bath.

I wish him and the club all the best.

Barnetsarrie12

14 October, 2018 08:10
I agree with you SarrieSaint, I don't think Freddie was showboating, it looked to me like he was going closer to the posts to touch the ball down. I have seen that done by tons of players in virtually every club in the premiership. What was different here was Medard did not give up on the play, like most players would have.

I really don't see what further punishment would do to help Burns or Bath, the guy must be at an all time low at the moment and to me you need to pick him up and hopefully help get his confidence back. Dropping him from the squad and not playing him for the year, like some people have said on here is just wayyy to extreme and does neither the player or the club any favours. He made a mistake, a big one at that, but no one is beyond making mistakes. It is just the most glaring mistake, but virtually every player in Bath and Toulouse colours yesterday made mistakes, you are not dropping every single one of them are you.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 08:33
FB was jogging, smiling, completely unaware of the closing player, and blew the crowd a kiss. If that isn't unprofessional then I don't know what is. He should play with the kids for the next few games unless we really have no other selection choices. What a *** !

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 08:48
It was a terrible mistake, but "unprofessional" is a heavy word so lightly thrown.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 09:05
I really don't see any option other than to start him at 10 against Wasps.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 12:29
Quote:
hasta

+1

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 12:29
Quote:
hasta

+1

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 13:23
The way Burns ‘finished’ the try was absolutely identical to practically every other walk-in try on every dry match-day in top-level rugby. From a video analysis point of view, he cut a great line to ‘score’ a decent team try. If he’d dotted it down, I strongly suspect he’d have been MoM (albeit that could be damming him with faint praise yesterday).

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 14:23
With 5 matches played by English sides, so far only Glaws gave recorded a win - over a French team who have only won one of 24 away European games.

We are not alone in our HC malaise.

Stuart

Former ed.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 16:13
The Toulon misery continues - what a great result for Newcastle.

Barnetsarrie12

14 October, 2018 16:18
Quote:
TCM2007
With 5 matches played by English sides, so far only Glaws gave recorded a win - over a French team who have only won one of 24 away European games.

All 3 English teams won today, including 2 away wins, so 3 wins, 3 losses and a draw. Not the disaster people thought it was yesterday.

adonisbrah
theflier (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 18:13
Sorry for butting in, but can I ask, was Priestland as diabolical as ever/he usually is? Only caught part of the game, and looked poor as per

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 18:50
Quote:
Old Bath Tub
Quote:
hasta

+1
That would have been my preference before the game, a bit more flair at 10 with RP (a steadier hand - no pun intended) at 15.

Whether RP would gave found himself in the right place at the right time is unknown of course.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 19:08
Quote:
theflier
Sorry for butting in, but can I ask, was Priestland as diabolical as ever/he usually is? Only caught part of the game, and looked poor as per

I don’t think that he did much really great stuff and he kicked a restart dead but he certainly wasn’t diabolical IMO, just average.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 19:15
Freddie has to start next week, but Girvan has a plan.

For those who haven't noticed it is play Freddie at 15 and use him as an alternate first receiver.

Between him and Rhys (who is very one sided) they were putting some very clever kicks in. Unfortunately many on this board only noticed the ones that went wrong.

Rhys ran more in that game than I have ever seen him do in a Bath shirt. Girvan's plan - run (with Roberts) at the French half backs as they were physically small. Not very successful as Kaino did such a good job. I doubt if Rhys will run so much against Wasps.

Long Term
Long Term (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 19:52
[quote Boldangrey]Freddie has to start next week, but Girvan has a plan.

For those who haven't noticed it is play Freddie at 15 and use him as an alternate first receiver.

Between him and Rhys (who is very one sided) they were putting some very clever kicks in. Unfortunately many on this board only noticed the ones that went wrong.

Rhys ran more in that game than I have ever seen him do in a Bath shirt. Girvan's plan - run (with Roberts) at the French half backs as they were physically small. Not very successful as Kaino did such a good job. I doubt if Rhys will run so much against Wasps.[
/quote]

Enjoyed this post as it focused on the rugby in an insightful way and was not a rant following the agenda of' i'm the true supporter as only I can see the club is rotten from top to tail and Freddie should be strung up!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 20:34
Quote:
TCM2007

Oh goodie. How about our Premiership malaise, or A League malaise, or...

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 20:38
Thank you, Long Term.

I get fed up by the doom mongers who keep on about'no plan'. It just tells me how much they know about the game.

It's too early to talk about green shoots of recovery, but when we lose it helps if you can see what the aim was.

Oh ... And for those who couldn't see it, that was why Cook started ahead of Green - bigger, more physical player to oppose the small French half backs.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 20:48
We’ve played seven games this season, and have won two of them. One of those we were hanging on for our lives at the end and the other Biggar hit the posts in the last play.

And yet, we’re called “doom mongers”...

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 21:01
Quote:
ballsout
We’ve played seven games this season, and have won two of them. One of those we were hanging on for our lives at the end and the other Biggar hit the posts in the last play.

You prove my point.

despite that we are 8th in a table where other than the top two (who account for two of our losses) the rest have little between them.

The glass is half full.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 21:06
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
ballsout

You prove my point.

despite that we are 8th in a table where other than the top two (who account for two of our losses) the rest have little between them.

The glass is half full.

I'm not understanding your point. Despite winning two out of seven, we're in eighth place. Great?

Good thing Biggar didn't hit the post with his conversion and the Quins match didn't go on for another two minutes or we'd probably be bottom of the table.

Half full...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 21:16
BO it’s not balanced to mention the ones that Bath just won without those that they just lost, like yesterday. Glos could have also been an amazing comeback win. But having said that I suspect that we all hoped for (expected?) more from the start of this season.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 21:20
You're right, the ones we nearly lost are cancelled out by the ones we nearly won. So we're left with 2 wins out of 7, and yet people still throw the doom monger tag out.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

14 October, 2018 21:21
You just get very boring

Long Term
Long Term (IP Logged)

15 October, 2018 07:17
Spot on hemington.BO we got what you are saying a long time ago!! What is it you are trying to achieve with the repetition of your point of view ad nauseum. As I have said before I believe as supporters we have no real impact on the progress and success of the club, all we can do is to follow its progress (or not). All supporters are unhappy with the current situation,some choose to look for signs of progress whilst awaiting developments,it doesn't mean they don't get what you are saying or equally feel your suffering.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

15 October, 2018 07:50
People are different right ? Some positive, some negative, some balanced, some oval. I think we'd all agree the performances aren't where we'd like them to be. For me the question isn't 'glass half full' or 'glass half empty' . It's 'stick or twist' . How close will we get to where we want to be with Todd at the helm, do we give him more time or is there a better option for the club ?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

15 October, 2018 07:59
My point was that there are ten teams in the same boat.

We lie 8th out of 12, but we have played the two strongest (and lost) while others above us have yet to play them.

I see that as 'half full'

Perhaps some will only be happy with 'overflowing'!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 October, 2018 08:04
I think that Dan Evans has it spot on for the game. We continue to make poor decisions such as trying to nail a 50m penalty in the wind just after they went down to 14 men. Then we went down to 14, they kick for the corner and score. Is it simply confidence or a lack of strategic thinking by the captain?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

15 October, 2018 08:17
Quote:
BathMatt53
I think that Dan Evans has it spot on for the game. We continue to make poor decisions such as trying to nail a 50m penalty in the wind just after they went down to 14 men. Then we went down to 14, they kick for the corner and score. Is it simply confidence or a lack of strategic thinking by the captain?

Freddie wanted to kick for the corner.
Rhys was being treated, but was the one who insisted 'goal'.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 October, 2018 08:26
That doesn't seem an ideal set of circumstances to me...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net