rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

Team's Up!
08 November, 2018 11:28
Bath Rugby team to face Newcastle Falcons

15. Tom Homer

14. Levi Davis

13. Jack Wilson

12. Max Clark

11. Ruaridh McConnochie

10. Alex Davies (c)

9. Max Green

1. Will Vaughan

2. Michael van Vuuren

3. Max Lahiff

4. Will Britton

5. Levi Douglas

6. Miles Reid

7. Josh Bainbridge

8. Jack Davies

Replacements

16. Ross Batty

17. Sam Nixon

18. Victor Delmas

19. Tom Doughty

20. Josh Bayliss

21. Chris Cook

22. Max Wright

23. Joe Cokanasiga

P G Tips

Alex Davies: my adopted Player, 2018-19.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

Re: Team's Up!
08 November, 2018 11:32
Difficult to see anything but one result though great opportunity for younger players to get first team experience

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 11:34
WTF.

How are they not playing a strong team to lead into next week's must win game? Why play a strong team last week? Muddled selection.

SJS
SJS (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 11:46
We're getting a battering... (Sm141)

Barnoid
Barnoid (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 11:53
Quote:
ballsout
WTF.
How are they not playing a strong team to lead into next week's must win game? Why play a strong team last week? Muddled selection.

Contrast our approach to this competition with that of Worcester: they appear to have put out near full strength teams for both of the first two games (though it'll be interesting to see what sort of team they pick for their game against Saracens on Sunday) and have achieved a couple of good wins.

I presume the thinking behind our selection is that our first team will be fresh and rested come the 17th whereas Worcester will have momentum and good confidence - albeit at the risk of picking up injuries and the general attrition associated with a full schedule.

fat lock
fat lock (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 11:57
I'm minded of Fred Trueman - 'you might change the bowlers, but you haven't changed the bowling.'
Frankly I don't think it'll matter who gets picked - the whole club is playing badly - why should this be any different?

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 12:03
Oh dear, here we go again!
Who's muddled thinking is behind this.
No.don't tell me I think I know.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 12:05
Having lost twice, I assume we're as good as out of the cup?

In which case, selection criteria change from, 'can we win this game?', to 'let's rest, rotate and give experience'.

Given the past 2 weeks, I couldn't care less who they select or what the result is. I'd just like to see some rhyme or reason to the performance.

I also think all 3 games will be entirely forgotten if we get a win against Worcester. Looking for a positive, it may well be that the benefits of these selections become apparent at the back end of the season, when first-choice players have had a decent rest, and some younger players have gained sufficient experience to perform well when they are needed for a real match.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 12:06
It makes no sense to have played a strong team last week and put out our weakest Cup team the weak before a must win game.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 12:12
The only sense in this selection is whether you think it helps us or hinders us in winning the Worcester game. I can see both arguments - rest/refresh, or win/momentum - but how it relates to last week's selection is beyond irrelevant.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 12:18
No, it isn't beyond irrelevant, it's indicative of the whole muddled selection process. If you're going to play a strong team, play it the week before a must win game, not in the middle of a development competition.

I can easily see us being completely undercooked for Worcester, they storm ahead by three tries and we barely fire a shot before half time. Then the usual fightback when we have to play some rugby.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 12:26
I think it’s indicative of who they think is liable to function on a plastic pitch darent risk the knees of some of our players. Personally I think no first class rugby should be played on fully plastic pitches but others may disagree.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 12:27
Eeek, they have a strong team, I fear a humping.

Newcastle Falcons XV
15. Simon Hammersley
14. Alex Tait
13. Pedro Bettencourt
12. Johnny Williams
11. Sinoti Sinoti
10. Joel Hodgson
9. Michael Young
1. Sam Lockwood
2. George McGuigan
3. Jon Welsh
4. Calum Green
5. Andrew Davidson
6. Ryan Burrows
7. Gary Graham
8. Callum Chick

I see that Josh Bainbridge is a loan player - anyone know anything about him? He seems to be a Yorkshire C starter this season.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 12:30
Newcastle doing it right with their team

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 12:45
Yeah I don’t think I’ll bother travelling up to watch that team. In fact I probably won’t go up next week either after last seasons’ “effort” up there so it’s probably unfair of me to single out these players as the reason for staying at home.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 12:52
We all know that we need to re start the season in the Prem so would rather we had a team of youngsters playing at 100% than half a team of 1st choice playing at 90% - that is when injuries are more likely to occur. We wouldn't learn anything unless we played our best 23 and I don't think we can afford to take that chance.

Its either all 1st choice in or none at all for me. I see the sense in both arguments.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 12:57
Of all the teams announced so far, us, Newcastle, Tigers and Sale, we're the only ones doing a lambs to the slaughter. The other three are playing near full strength teams.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 13:01
Maybe they feel better strength in depth at this time.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 13:08
Weather forecast is absolutely dire rain and strong winds

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 13:16
"No, it isn't beyond irrelevant, it's indicative of the whole muddled selection process. If you're going to play a strong team, play it the week before a must win game, not in the middle of a development competition."

We fielded a team to win against Exeter. But we lost. Therefore, if there was originally a 3-game, coherent selection strategy for this competition, it's now in the basket. I'm not trying to defend the performance against Exeter, I'm just saying that the strategy (such as it is) has taken account of the circumstances, which is only sensible. It doesn't indicate a muddle, it just illustrates the old Mike Tyson saying, 'Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face'.

And 'If you're going to play a strong team, play it the week before a must win game' - that's an opinion, not a fact. They've chosen to take a different approach - and they have access to infinitely more information than you do in regard to players' fitness, tiredness and their season-long planning cycle.

Repeat: I do not disagree with you that we have been inexcusably poor on the field. But you are shoehorning stuff to fit into your anti-TB/SH line.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 13:16
I was going to say that'll make the scoreline look a tad more respectale but comparing both packs, I'm not so sure.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 13:31
I just hope that they put in a good performance and don't get smashed - that won't do anyone related to Bath (club, fans who are going to travel 300 miles and stand in the wind and rain or young players) any good.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 13:31
Quote:
Optimist
And 'If you're going to play a strong team, play it the week before a must win game' - that's an opinion, not a fact. They've chosen to take a different approach - and they have access to infinitely more information than you do in regard to players' fitness, tiredness and their season-long planning cycle.

An opinion that's also shared with every other club playing tomorrow night it seems.

And in terms of results, morale, long term planning...we've been left with a strong team losing to a bunch of kids. And a bunch of kids likely losing to a strong team. Great stuff. With Worcester up shortly who've got great momentum and won five in a row.

I have no agenda, I'm stating facts. The whole selection strategy is muddled and confused. From what I've heard of Hooper, he lives and breathes stats and formulates everything based on those. It isn't working. Throw the laptops away, and just use your brain/coaching nous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 13:33 by ballsout.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 13:34
We have won 2 games this season. There's a stat for him.

redmix
redmix (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 13:35
Great opportunity for some young players to get game time along side some established first teamers against a team that will test them. I hope they put in a good performance.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 14:30
'I'm stating facts'.

No, you're not. It's your opinion. I don't even necessarily disagree with your opinion. But nothing you've said - or I've said - is a fact.

And I don't want us to do what 'every other team' does. I want us to do what's best for Bath - here/now. And what that is has changed due to last week's result. You don't think that what we're doing is best for Bath here and now. You're entitled to your opinion.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 15:37
Quote:
BathMatt53
I just hope that they put in a good performance and don't get smashed - that won't do anyone related to Bath (club, fans who are going to travel 300 miles and stand in the wind and rain or young players) any good.

You aren't selling it to me...

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 15:57
Think it may be lottery whoever you put out - to be honest fielding our strongest team given the weather forecast would be pointless and gain very little. Some experience for the more youthful of the squad - personally believe the coaching team under Hooper have really missed a trick in this competition. It is clear that Worcester have targetted this for silverware this year which will bring positivity to the club and fans alike, personally I wish them all the best and good on them.

Just not sure where we are heading at the moment - one thing for sure Hooper is a long long long way off being a DoR and has a steep learning curve ahead of him.

Next week is such an important match for so many reasons and all the momentum you have to say is with the opposition especially given the atmosphere at the Rec over the past few home games....Silence for most of it....it is hardly surprising we are not getting the rub of the green with the officials - don't think I have known a season like it for lack of crowd uinvolvement pretty much summed up by Matt Garvey and his call for the home faithful to make the extra man and plsce pressure on the officials and opposition and give the team a real lift. Probably sums up Bath Football Club at present - Team is Flat - Crowd is Flat and Performances are Flat.....something needs to give or we will find ourselves in a dog fight for relegation against opposition who this year will not just roll over and accept it. It starts NOW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 16:05 by Ali1969.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 16:05
When it comes to atmosphere at the Rec, the library-effect is nothing new. It's always had that tendency. A bit passive ... a bit, 'right lads, entertain us'.

Friday nights are ten times better for noise, atmosphere and crowd participation. I love them.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 16:11
The atmosphere has never been good but in the last few years it's resembled a morgue. So eerily quiet.

Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 16:27
This is a surrender.

I am checking the BBC website constantly hoping to see that Blackadder and Booth etc have left by mutual consent.

The people who watch Bath at the moment resemble those on the TV show embarrassing bodies. If only they had got treatment sooner instead of suffering another year needlessly.

We are a joke. How far have we fallen talking about a must win game against Worcester in November.

ilovebathtime
ilovebathtime (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 16:33
I've got no problem with the team selected.

I have no interest in this tournament other than as a good opportunity for the kids. The only way I think it would be relevant to the Worcester result is if our first team played and lost or if one of the first team players got injured.

You could make the argument the team against Worcester might be "undercooked", but I'm not sure I buy it I think rugby players generally have more of an issue with being fresh.

Good luck to Worcester in this competition, but your first team can only play so many games in a season and I don't want any of them to be in this cup for us. If a few of their players were to get injured then I think it would only benefit us for the week after.

None of this is a defence of our season so far. It's been pretty woeful, and I think if we picked our strongest team we may well still lose tomorrow, and I'm not sure what benefit that would have.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 16:51
Quote:
ilovebathtime
I've got no problem with the team selected.
I have no interest in this tournament other than as a good opportunity for the kids. The only way I think it would be relevant to the Worcester result is if our first team played and lost or if one of the first team players got injured.

You could make the argument the team against Worcester might be "undercooked", but I'm not sure I buy it I think rugby players generally have more of an issue with being fresh.

Good luck to Worcester in this competition, but your first team can only play so many games in a season and I don't want any of them to be in this cup for us. If a few of their players were to get injured then I think it would only benefit us for the week after.

None of this is a defence of our season so far. It's been pretty woeful, and I think if we picked our strongest team we may well still lose tomorrow, and I'm not sure what benefit that would have.

+1. I agree with every word ILBT

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 16:51
Quote:
SJS
We're getting a battering... (Sm141)

More than likely!

Bonus point win by halftime ! ...... for Newcastle and Sinoti hat-trick (Sm136)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 17:09
I cannot believe after the Saracens surrender earlier this season, we are doing the same at Newcastle. Throwing the youngsters in is like lambs to the slaughter and they will neither learn much or do their confidence any good whatsoever. Completely barmy selection and another loss coming up. Hope they can keep the difference to under 30.

This puts even more pressure on those taking the field against a confident winning Worcester, with no match practice or confidence. If we loose to Worcester heads must roll as we are in deep deep trouble.

Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 17:30
Whilst I agree that losing to Worcs would be bad (not that they are a bad team but because that would be 2 wins from 11?) but not sure what sacking anyone would do to help as we presumably have no replacement lined up. Unless of course you mean sack Todd and make Hoops the head honcho earlier than expected...which I guessing you don’t!

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 18:11
Back in October, Nohoper stated:

"This year the competition is now a three-game block. Previously, we’ve only had a two-week block and we won’t want to give all the players three weeks off."

I suppose, pedantically, he is correct in his assertion that not ALL will get three weeks off. The problem is, given a probable starting 15 of: Atkins, Roko, Willison, Roberts, Coka, Burns, Fots, Catt, Batty, Thomas, Atwood, Garvey, Ellis, Louw, Bayliss, a significant subset HAS had the full 3 weeks away from competitive rugby.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 19:13
Sadly I think it is more about avoiding the morale dumping of losing if we'd picked a decent side in prep for Wuss

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 20:12
OK, let's consider another possibility, we pick a strong team, play in terrible weather, don't get any fluency, lose 12-9 and get a couple more injuries.

How would that help us for the league games?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 20:40
I certainly admire the optimism of the person in the prediction league who has gone for a 15-34 Bath win on a cold wet blustery Newcastle evening!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 02:10
Saints and Gloucester going full strength too. That makes 5 of the 6 teams announced. Ackerman sums it up well...

Quote:
We now want to start re-integrating some of the players who haven’t played for the last two weeks, because we don’t want to go back to the Premiership against Leicester with some of the players not having played for almost a month.
“We want to give some of those guys a decent hit out, but also to start performing well and build some momentum.

Our boys look like they’ve only just met most games, so I’m dreading those opening 40 minutes against Worcester. Sad state of affairs.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 06:35
Could be the other way around of course. Not having the distraction of this game up in Newcastle may mean that they have been targeting the worcs game and the players who will be involved have been doing nothing but drills together to ensure that they play as ‘one’? We will know next week...

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 06:54
Hmmm

Bathovalballer

09 November, 2018 06:57
So those advocating putting out a weaker side because of a 'tough' game next week, what do you think it is teaching the youngsters and instilling in the team's brain, that we don't have a hope of winning at Saracens and Newcastle because they have a plastic pitch or are too good so we are not going to try? Now that really inspires confidence I don't think!

Virtually every other side is taking this competition seriously or consider their senior players have had a 2/3 week break and need to get back on the horse and give it a lash! Not Bath apparently because we are playing so well, ignore every competition that might further tax our pampered stars, and in my opinion are disrespectful to all the other teams in the competition. A player might get an injury, but that might happen anytime (even in training like the AB's prop Moody)and we go into games fearing getting hurt, we will get hurt. Come on Bath man up.

If our rested stars don't win next week, they deserve to get a monumental bollocking and the coaches (led I read by Mr Hooper for the Prem Cup games) should be shown the door. There will be no excuse and you have had hours to eradicate mistakes on the training ground. The thinking that we cannot possibly win at certain grounds and against certain teams is frankly rediculous for any professional or amateur team in any sport and one I am not familiar with!

For goodness sake Bath get a grip.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 08:21
That's not fair BoB, we all know how harsh the plastic pitches can be on the skin and the players have just got theirs in tip top shape after 2 weeks in the Spa.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 08:26
Quote:
Bathovalballer
So those advocating putting out a weaker side because of a 'tough' game next week, what do you think it is teaching the youngsters and instilling in the team's brain, that we don't have a hope of winning at Saracens and Newcastle because they have a plastic pitch or are too good so we are not going to try? Now that really inspires confidence I don't think!
Virtually every other side is taking this competition seriously or consider their senior players have had a 2/3 week break and need to get back on the horse and give it a lash! Not Bath apparently because we are playing so well, ignore every competition that might further tax our pampered stars, and in my opinion are disrespectful to all the other teams in the competition. A player might get an injury, but that might happen anytime (even in training like the AB's prop Moody)and we go into games fearing getting hurt, we will get hurt. Come on Bath man up.

If our rested stars don't win next week, they deserve to get a monumental bollocking and the coaches (led I read by Mr Hooper for the Prem Cup games) should be shown the door. There will be no excuse and you have had hours to eradicate mistakes on the training ground. The thinking that we cannot possibly win at certain grounds and against certain teams is frankly rediculous for any professional or amateur team in any sport and one I am not familiar with!

For goodness sake Bath get a grip.

That'll test the Moderators!

Bathovalballer

09 November, 2018 08:38
So we are not going to compete on a plastic pitch which I understand Sarries, Newcastle, Bristol, Wasps, Worcester and Sale have. If that's the case we will never win the league or any other competition. If those clubs and others can play on that surface, why can't we?

I hadn't even thought about the skin care implications of our stars B4thB4ck! Suggest we wrap them in cotton wool.

Bathovalballer

09 November, 2018 08:38
So we are not going to compete on a plastic pitch which I understand Sarries, Newcastle, Bristol, Wasps, Worcester and Sale have. If that's the case we will never win the league or any other competition. If those clubs and others can play on that surface, why can't we?

I hadn't even thought about the skin care implications of our stars B4thB4ck! Suggest we wrap them in cotton wool.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 09:00
Now having a comment on every thread isn't enough - we're going to get it twice!!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 09:14
Quote:
hemington
Now having a comment on every thread isn't enough - we're going to get it twice!!

Much as I feel your pain hemington I'm not sure accidental double posts fall into the Mods criteria!

PS I'm looking forward to David Attenborough's special on your cousins on Sunday!

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://image.ibb.co/maFJzT/darren_atkins_4.jpg

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 09:19
BoB taking his eat, sleep, rant, repeat approach to its natural conclusion, and just cutting and pasting. Clever.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 09:36
Could we get some guided breathing exercises and soothing background music playing to help with some of our posters' blood pressure. Certainly wouldn't want any our contributors to expire whilst posting.(Sm108)

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 09:59
Animalism worries me.

Should the moderators be looking at the distressing images used by SW and Hemmington that appear to exploit poor animals?

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 10:00
Its all getting very intriguing - perhaps all will become clear after Christmas? Is the strategy for kamikaze as quick as possible, or is there a cunning plan? The continuity and plotlines are difficult to discern!

JFPC
JFPC (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 10:20
Quote:
Bathovalballer

If our rested stars don't win next week, they deserve to get a monumental bollocking and the coaches (led I read by Mr Hooper for the Prem Cup games) should be shown the door.

Ok BOB, I'll bite. You're wanting to sack the entire coaching staff (Blackadder too?) if we lose (NOT loose) to Worcester next week. Who do you think we could get, mid season, months out from the world cup?

Don't get me wrong I think the coaching staff need an overhaul but perhaps the more sensible option would be to see who comes available after the world cup. By all means start asking the questions now but sacking the entire coaching staff mid season seems (expletive deleted) stupid, unless you know of a top class group of coaches ready and waiting to take over?

MESSAGES->author

09 November, 2018 10:24
There are good reasons for either selection strategy, hence the heated debate I suspect. I'm not too concerned about this competition as it's a dead duck, but the Worcester game does. Wuss have played well recently in the couple of Prem games I've watched on BT Sport. It will be a tough game at the Rec and does feel like it would leave us an awful lot to do to catch up if we were to lose.
I don't like suggestions that our players are not giving everything and sympathise with Garvey coming out to defend his team. What we must see at the game against Wuss is an improved team cohesion which we are only seeing in fits and starts.
I'm expecting a Falcons win tonight with a scoreline of around 30 - 20

Bathovalballer

09 November, 2018 10:29
Still someone please explain to me why we cannot or choose not to compete on plastic pitches, which appear to be coming the norm, and the idea of choosing whether or not to be competitive against a side that wants to play their first team and we might incur an injury, so we appear to virtually surrender the game? How does that help confidence or continuity as mentioned we desperately need in Dan Evan's column in the Chronic? It doesn't make sense to me or apparently any other of the Prem sides' coaches either.

WestonLurker
WestonLurker (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 10:42
Quote:
FourSticks
Back in October, Nohoper stated:
"This year the competition is now a three-game block. Previously, we’ve only had a two-week block and we won’t want to give all the players three weeks off."

I suppose, pedantically, he is correct in his assertion that not ALL will get three weeks off. The problem is, given a probable starting 15 of: Atkins, Roko, Willison, Roberts, Coka, Burns, Fots, Catt, Batty, Thomas, Atwood, Garvey, Ellis, Louw, Bayliss, a significant subset HAS had the full 3 weeks away from competitive rugby.

Actually I think there may be something in the strategy being to (sort of) evenly rest the first team squad by giving them two games out of three off, while keeping a measure of match sharpness. Injuries inevitably lead to inconsistencies (maybe Burns' knock against Wasps led to him having the whole three weeks off to recover properly, especially as Priestland is still hors de combat) and the front line props have been given a free pass from their gruelling toil.

This could explain why the strongest team was put out against Exeter as it was the middle week. It also explains the weakest team being against Newcastle tonight to avoid the potentially (and if the forecasts are to be believed, actually) poor Friday evening weather and the plastic pitch. It doesn't explain how we managed to lose to Quins at home with the middling team by treating it as an opposed training session (well that's how it seemed from the sidelines).

This does lead to the conclusion that there was no particular strategy for the Premiership Trophy (or whatever it's called) itself, other than to take each game as it comes with a different subset of players. If so we missed the chance to build a squad of academy / second team players specifically to target the lesser competition as teams sometimes do, but at least it will have been a conscious decision to go down that road.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 10:48
Ok plastic pitches are wonderful for hockey you can wear pimple sole shoes and have some sideways give which protects your knees. This footwear would not work for scrummaging driving into to tackles etc you would just fall flat. So longer “studs” that wil trap in the pitch more and therefore have no mercy on knees at the wrong angle. Desso pitches are ok as they are slightly more forgiving. I don’t want to repeat myself on the suitability of plastic for rugby so I will leave it there.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 12:22
There some on here who think the players are in a Spa all week long, would those fluffy slippers work well on the artificial pitch?

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 12:24
Apparently our game-plan is based on pace out wide

So as soon as we get the ball just need to execute basic handling skills quickly to get it out there

No problems there then

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 12:28
Indeed - 'pace out wide' sounds like a good plan on a wet evening in the north east. Hope 11, 13 and 14 have taken a book to read.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 12:40
Quote:
Boldangrey
Animalism worries me.
Should the moderators be looking at the distressing images used by SW and Hemmington that appear to exploit poor animals?

Flipping heck BnG thought you'd have worked it out by now, would you argue with 5 silverback gorillas in the pack?

They would easily win the ball in my view, the only problem is would they know what to do with it?....bit like our backs now really.

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://image.ibb.co/maFJzT/darren_atkins_4.jpg

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 13:46
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Boldangrey
Animalism worries me.

Flipping heck BnG thought you'd have worked it out by now, would you argue with 5 silverback gorillas in the pack?

They would easily win the ball in my view, the only problem is would they know what to do with it?....bit like our backs now really.

Words of wisdom - only what I would expect of you.

Why oh why have Bath not elevated you to management?

redmix
redmix (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 14:03
Quote:
JFPC
Quote:
Bathovalballer

If our rested stars don't win next week, they deserve to get a monumental bollocking and the coaches (led I read by Mr Hooper for the Prem Cup games) should be shown the door.

Ok BOB, I'll bite. You're wanting to sack the entire coaching staff (Blackadder too?) if we lose (NOT loose) to Worcester next week. Who do you think we could get, mid season, months out from the world cup?

There is a team ready to go from the posters on 'ere. The in depth knowledge shown on why Bath are utter tosh and what needs doing to put it right places some people as leading candidates to take on a premiership team DOR, head coach, skills, or forwards coach role. It'd propel Bath back to the top of European Rugby and trophies would be ours for the taking.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 14:10
Don’t forget morale officer redmix.

redmix
redmix (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 14:12
And I forgot psychologist

ilovebathtime

09 November, 2018 14:39
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Still someone please explain to me why we cannot or choose not to compete on plastic pitches, which appear to be coming the norm, and the idea of choosing whether or not to be competitive against a side that wants to play their first team and we might incur an injury, so we appear to virtually surrender the game? How does that help confidence or continuity as mentioned we desperately need in Dan Evan's column in the Chronic? It doesn't make sense to me or apparently any other of the Prem sides' coaches either.

I think we've only intentionally put out a weakened team once away at Saracens. I don't count this evening as there are other reasons to put out a weakened team.

We don't generally play well on plastic pitches it's true, but we did beat Worcester away last year in one of our best performances of the season. I think we also beat Newcastle away a few years ago in the first game of the season (I think that was the first season they had a plastic pitch although could be wrong)

We don't generally play well on any surface, I wouldn't confine it to just plastic

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 16:19
Quote:
redmix
And I forgot psychologist

I nominate BoB!

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 16:49
Before we get too gloomy about next week it might be worth pointing out we could be without 7 Internationals (Watson, JJ, Falatauinjured and Louw, Ewels, Underwood and Zach on potential International duty). 2: Coko and Stooke have been in and out of the England Training camp for 3 weeks which can't be easy. Not saying we shouldn't still win but we will be missing over half (and the best half) of our first team. In the other half and replacements we trust.

Bathovalballer

09 November, 2018 18:39
No excuse Hemington as they have had three weeks to prepare. Win is a given and nothing else is considered.

We shall see beginning with tonight's expected shallacking.

Long Term
Long Term (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 18:58
We shall see beginning with tonight's expected shallacking.[/quote]

Let's hope! (Sm161)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 19:01 by Long Term.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 19:27
It's a development competition which we have no chance of winning. Giving some game time to retournees and risking injury to no players who will feature next week seems 100% sensible to me.

Would a defeat (if it happens) really affect players who took no part in the game that badly?

Stuart

Former ed.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 20:56
Ummm it's 22-0 with one minute left. Fantastic experience gained...

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 21:05
FT 22-7, Bayliss gets a consolation try...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 21:06
Quote:
dannyf2
Ummm it's 22-0 with one minute left. Fantastic experience gained...

Excellent result for development, morale, pride, team spirit and of course coaching esteem

-NOT (Sm100)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 21:31
A few minutes from being nilled. Awesome work Hooper and co.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 21:32
Oh dear - not much for us to squabble over there. Creditable scoreline given the respective line-ups. Some youngsters got some experience. But, yes, another loss, and from the bits I listened to on the radio, error-strewn and incoherent. Relevance to the rest of the season - nil.

ilovebathtime

09 November, 2018 21:32
It doesn't matter! Next week does. None who will be playing next week will worry about tonight's result and none of them got injured.

The kids will learn from it just as England fielded a young team that got beaten heavily in Australia and went on to win a world cup.

Not that I think our youngsters are going to win a world cup, but they will gain from the experience

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 21:36
“Tonight doesn’t matter” “Next week is the important one” “Who cares about tonight, it was our kids”.

The typically incoherent, woeful performance is a reflection of the culture at the club.

Much as I would love to hear that Blackadder, Booth, Edwards, Rock and Hooper have been shown the door, there’s no one to take their place so at short notice so it’d be pointless. Shambles. Three terrible seasons in the making.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 21:47
A dead rubber and apart from the already injured we have a decent squad to choose from for Wuss. This competition was always going to be for development players and injury returns. The Club has to concentrate on the Premiership and get back to winning ways. I am sure everyone at the club will be working hard to do just that.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 21:51
Quote:
CoochieCoo
A dead rubber and apart from the already injured we have a decent squad to choose from for Wuss. This competition was always going to be for development players and injury returns. The Club has to concentrate on the Premiership and get back to winning ways. I am sure everyone at the club will be working hard to do just that.

A dead rubber yes, thanks to our two pitiful games prior to this. And now we have a third to add to the collection.

It’s all well and good brushing this under the carpet but it’s never been more clear there is something (plenty actually) fundamentally wrong with the club.

Bathovalballer

09 November, 2018 21:59
What will the kids, I mean junior less experienced players, learn from that experience? No one learns from continual losses, especially Bath who still cannot play decent rugby or perform even basic skills.

I thought they had 'learnt' from the last two games, but no, still excursiatingly poor. I wonder what these so called lesser players think of their fellow bigger salaried super stars who stayed at home, no doubt in the Spa with their fluffy Gucci slippers, and warm and not wet, battered and bruised? Is it building team spirit and sense of belonging, I don't think so?

If the so called First teamers don't win next Saturday after there extra Spa sessions, sorry meant to say rugby practice, there is likely to be repercussions and some of these players tonight might have a point or two to make to the pampered few. The chosen ones next week have to win now. No excuse.

To be fair, our brave boys tonight, without the cotton wool wrapped super stars, did much better than many thought against a strong Newcastle selection. Well done and I am proud of you. (Just had my funny farm pills and cannot stop laughing. I might even become a back slapping cheer leader Hooper fan!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 22:13 by Bathovalballer.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 22:07
They will have sampled being in the playing squad away from home, instead of the training squad back at base.

Stuart

Former ed.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 22:15
I dunno. It doesn't feel satisfying to me that we are a club that is willing to lose so softly. It's a culture thing. It just feels a bit pathetic. I really hope we win next week and I will be proven wrong... But who - seriously - is confident about that?

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 22:21
Quote:
Bathovalballer
What will the kids, I mean junior less experienced players, learn from that experience? No one learns from continual losses, especially Bath who still cannot play decent rugby or perform even basic skills.
I thought they had 'learnt' from the last two games, but no, still excursiatingly poor. I wonder what these so called lesser players think of their fellow bigger salaried super stars who stayed at home, no doubt in the Spa with their fluffy Gucci slippers, and warm and not wet, battered and bruised? Is it building team spirit and sense of belonging, I don't think so?

If the so called First teamers don't win next Saturday after there extra Space sessions, there is likely to be repercussions and some these players tonight might have a point or two to make to the pampered few. The chosen ones next week have to win now.

The defeat was expected due to the team we put out and how we’re playing. The BOvB response was equally predictably unpleasant. I hope writing this stuff makes you happy BOvB.

Bathovalballer

09 November, 2018 22:34
It doesn't Beergoggles. I would much prefer to hail a win by a fully representative Bath team, which might have been possible if we are of the mind to do so. As I said earlier, I don't understand going to play a game without any thought of wanting to win it or with a full quiver full of arrows. Of course, I don't think like Mr Hooper and his fellow coaches who know better and have ensured our victory next week end. Hope they have told Worcester we expect them to roll over and allow us to tickle their tums as per the defined script. It makes my and everyone else support as not needed and not having to bother to turn up as the game is already in the bag! Cannot wait.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 22:36
BoB another post hidden because of violation of Gudeline 3. Same monotonous point on pitches and our players. Please start a new thread if you feel this issue needs a seperate discussion. Thank you.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 22:38 by CoochieCoo.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 22:37
Given the relative strength of the teams and an away game at a place not easy to win at I think that 22-7 isn’t too bad tbh. I expected a 30-40 point loss.

Bathovalballer

09 November, 2018 22:40
Too bad! It is a BATH LOSS, number 7 this year on the trot. That is acceptable to you? For goodness sake why do we bother?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 22:45
We are all aware of that BOB and so is the club. Now you have made your point there is no mileage in keeping on and on about it and certainly stagnates any debate.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 23:15
Quote:
BathMatt53
Given the relative strength of the teams and an away game at a place not easy to win at I think that 22-7 isn’t too bad tbh. I expected a 30-40 point loss.

It was in pouring rain. And our only points of the match came 2 minutes from full time.

Bathovalballer

09 November, 2018 23:28
Be careful BO that fact might be sensored. Don't want any negativety on a thread.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 00:06
Question.
If we kept winning?
would there be, oh I dunno, a tree falling in the Forrest, the Pope shitting in the woods, a bear shitting on the Pope?
Such a lot to wrestle with.
Why can’t life happen the way we want it to?

HOP

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 07:11
Well let me be the first to congratulate BoB and BO for making the long trip to the NE as clearly they must have seen the match in full and live judging by their comments.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 07:28
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
BathMatt53

It was in pouring rain. And our only points of the match came 2 minutes from full time.

Ah, not giving up, fighting to the end. Good stuff!

Match report here:

[www.somersetlive.co.uk]

Lineout sounds like it was a shambles in those conditions.

Did anyone on this board go to the match?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 07:48
Second rate result from a second rate selection in a second rate competition.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 07:59
How long is BC going to sit around and accept these results (not performance or effort) - irrespective of the McDonald plan for our future?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 08:12
Quote:
hasta

Amen to that.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 08:18
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
hasta

Amen to that.

Yep, who cares right? Means nothing right?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net