rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

Proper Recruitment at other clubs makes me angry.
09 November, 2018 22:57
Why isn't Bath a first choice for Stuart Hogg who is looking for a club that play rugby. He is probably the closest player to Abendonon and how we have missed his attacking flair. Stuart is a quality player and not looking for a big pay day.

From what I have read, our very close southern neighbours seem very much in his thoughts because of the style of rugby they play, which many on this board find unacceptable and boring, Of course it is a winning ball in hand formula which we don't seem able to match. Well a leading player thinks differently. Wonder what he thinks about coming to Bath?

Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

Re: Proper Recruitment at other clubs makes me angry.
09 November, 2018 23:03
There is a salary cap.

Bathovalballer

09 November, 2018 23:25
Seems he is talking about fast attacking ball handling winning rugby. What's that? Something that is an anathema to the present Bath squad and coaches.

I wonder if Mr Baxter will be able to improve him to a World class player? Or of course he could come to Bath for a big payday and a chance to use the excellent training and Spa facilities, and have a rest when we have to play on a plastic pitch. The Gieves and Hawkes suits and Loakes shoes are a bonus as well. Let alone enjoy inspirational training and added inspirational skillsl techniques. Wonder which is more attractive to Mr Hogg?

I wonder why with our World Class set up and the chance to play on the Rec in a club that has a clear plan for the future under the inspirational management of Mr Hooper, Bath fail to attract top class players?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 23:36
Your adopted player just re-signed, BoB, are you implying that he is not top class?

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 23:42 by CoochieCoo.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 07:08
We have 20 players out of contract. We donít know who is staying, who is going and who they will be replaced with when they do go. Why get so angry until you have seen the recruitment for next year? We signed (and retained) people like taulupe faletau after all.

I think that this thread has been started about 4 months too early.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

fat lock
fat lock (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 07:13
BOB
Now this is getting silly.
We know everything at the club is wrong, from the DOR to the soap in the public toilets.
But even if we have to worst managed, worst coached, worst performing club in Christendom you do yourself no favours moaning that other clubs have good players.
There is a limit to how many players a club can have/ afford. Top players want to play rugby, they're less likely to sign for a club where another top player is in place in their position.
We have a world class full back - he just happens to be broken at the moment.
I know some (maybe even you?) think BC views the club as his trainset that he wants to play with. Well, sadly with this trainset if one of his engines is broken he can't just go to the toyshop and buy a new one because he doesn't have enough pocket money.

southgate
southgate (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 07:49
Isn't Hogg just coming back after knee surgery? maybe he's the one looking for a payout.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 08:46
If this was in virtually any other position you might have a point.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 08:47
Interesting thread.

1. How do we know Hogg is not interested in Bath?

2. How do we know Bath are not interested in Hogg?

3. Do we know how much Bath would offer?

4. Do we know how much Hogg would accept?

So much inside information.

Come on BoB this line is just another opportunity to keep kicking the club.

Oh - and Charlie Ewells has joined the recruitment team and Guy Mercer looks like being the first signing.

dragonfly
dragonfly (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 09:25
Sigh...
Why did I start to read this thread?

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 09:29
Iím ignoring it.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 09:29
Iím ignoring it.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 09:38
We could do with a separate thread called 'Tenuous'.

Here we can place all of the silly, wind up comments where Hooper is apparently to blame for everything that might happen in, or outside the world of rugby.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 09:40
No place for him if we get Watson signed up again

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 09:47
BoB - even I am getting rather fed up with your continuous stream of what can I beat 'the club mgt' up with next? Have you got a holiday booked soon -coz do us all a favour and take a break.

Or try Brexit thread which seemsto have gone rather quiet and un-used recently? (Sm132)

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 10:02
Actually, reading the thread title it does say that it is the proper recruitment at other clubs that is the problem so not a dig at Bath after all but the other clubs, phew, glad we clarified that.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 10:25
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Actually, reading the thread title it does say that it is the proper recruitment at other clubs that is the problem so not a dig at Bath after all but the other clubs, phew, glad we clarified that.

I don't see very much in the OP that is complimentary about the club.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 13:21
Yet more tedious and completely ignorant drivel from the OP that will drive even more people away from this community. Can you not just shut it for a while BoB and do us all a favour? (Sm119)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 14:49
Looks like there could be something in the exe rumour

[www.bbc.co.uk]

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 17:00
Yeah, of only we could recruit players like that young Underhill lad.

Stuart

Former ed.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 17:19
Whatever your view on the OP, reality is that our dismal results, and more so our dire performances are unlikely to be a magnet for a player seeking success, even in the mid-term.

It is a concern for sure.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 17:21
By that logic only Sarries and Leicester could ever recruit anyone. Fortunately the salary cap means that things will always be more spread out than that.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 10:45
Have i got this right? This thread is asking why Hogg isn't coming to Bath or doesnt want to come to Bath, although there is no evidence linking him with Bath either positively or negatively, its a hypothetical issue with the club?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 10:56
You have.

It seems we should be upset by rumours that Hogg might be talking to Ex without knowing whether he has approached Bath or Bath has approached him.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 11:03
Or why on earth they would use a marquee spot when they already have a Lion in that position.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 11:10
Quote:
Boldangrey
You have.

It seems we should be upset by rumours that Hogg might be talking to Ex without knowing whether he has approached Bath or Bath has approached him.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I will just limit my hatred of Bath rugby to actual real things that have happened.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 11:13
It's the clever signings which set some teams apart. We should have looked at Tomkins from Sarries before he decided to stay with them. Marchant is another who might be a good signing. Exeter seem to be able to spot some hidden gems. Our centre from Worcester might prove to be just such a signing. However, you need to do something with them once they are here.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 11:18
So, say Willison?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 11:21
So, say Stooke also?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 11:21
Joe C?

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 11:25
Sam Underhill and Will Chudley when he is fit?

cookiecrumble
cookiecrumble (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 11:26
Paul Grant?

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 15:03
Shouldn't the title of this thread be 'Recruitment at other clubs makes me proper angry'.... delivered with a Devon accent of course.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 15:47
Quote:
Beergoggles
Shouldn't the title of this thread be 'Recruitment at other clubs makes me proper angry'.... delivered with a Devon accent of course.

Not sure BG, BoB might be from Birmingham for all I Know!

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 09:34
Forgetting if we were talking to him or not, or the clubs ambition, what happened to the January watershed of being able to spk to/offer contracts to players?

Did i miss something?

Andy Goode's body double.

Bring back rucking and speed up the game. Simples, for rucks sake.

Anyone.But.Tiggers.

Charlie Ewels - Adopted player 2018/19
Levi Douglas - Adopted player 2017/18
Tom Homer - Adopted player 2016/17

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 09:52
Do look up and around occasionally, some of you.

What makes you assume that good young talented players with clever experienced Agents have Bath at the top of their wish list? Which is what many of you seem to be doing - having a wish list without any reference to the reality. Just waving a cheque book doesn't cut the mustard these days.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 10:00
Quote:
Pie-Half
Forgetting if we were talking to him or not, or the clubs ambition, what happened to the January watershed of being able to spk to/offer contracts to players?
Did i miss something?
I think thatís within the Prem only? Pro 12 is a separate legal entity, hence why Hogg will be marquee. Confirmed by Exeter now.

Bathovalballer

13 November, 2018 10:13
Very true Annie. Reading the BBC's site it appears Exeter had talks with him before he signed again for Glasgow, 2 seasons ago. To me it shows the long term ambition and plans that they have in place along with their on field game plans which obviously appeal to outside players as they can see the vision of a possible future.

Let's just hope those at the top at Bath also realise to actually win things, which most ambitious players want to do, in teams that play a style of rugby that is a), tried and tested b). successful and c). matched their abilities. The Exeter all action very fit running style will be ideal for Hogg to show his talents. Many think Exeter only play a boring, forward orientated game but obviously some quality players think differently. The cheque book did not rule.

This long term attitude and knowing how to achieve results needs to be instilled at Bath to be successful and possibly it could be argued that Tarquin's epistle is the start of the process. That's all very well as long as you have the coaching talent and leadership in place but also means we are way off the pace and might have to wait many years before we see the improvements we all desire.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/11/2018 10:16 by Bathovalballer.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 10:53
Seems to be a recognition by Exeter that, if they are to crack Europe, they do need a smattering of ready-made world-class?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 11:17
Yes. Or alternatively we did this with Anthony Watson 6 years ago.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 11:27
BoB

The club do have medium/long term succession plans - not only for coaching staff but players also. This includes having specific players/types of player as future recruitment targets,

I cannot remember if that was specifically referenced in Tarquin's epistle, but it was referred to in a briefing he gave to forum mods.

Hogg is just the sort of player we would like -if recruitment plans and salary cap constraints allow. No club can fit in everybody on their wish list and obviously targets/negotiations are confidential so we do not know if Hogg was ever on Bath's list.

PG

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 11:29
I remember Sarries kept falling short until they brought in the power. They are short in the 2nd row and at half back. I have long believed that the Prem should have fewer sides with larger squads. Maybe 6 sides or 8 at max. Quality would improve and the sides would still be competitive, even with injuries. A combined South West side would be good to see. Like the classic game from 1993. We ran that classic side very close.

SOUTH-WEST: J Callard (Bath); A Lumsden (Bath), N Beal (Northampton), P de Glanville (Bath), P Hull (Bristol); M Catt (Bath), K Bracken (Bristol); C Clark (Oxford University), G Dawe, V Ubogu, N Redman (Bath), A Blackmore (Bristol), J Hall (capt), S Ojomoh, A Robinson (Bath). Replacements: P Holford (Gloucester) for de Glanville, 15; S Ojomoh (Bath) for Robinson, 66; D Sims (Gloucester) for Blackmore, 80.

NEW ZEALAND: J Timu; J Wilson (Otago), F Bunce (North Harbour), M Cooper (Waikato), V Tuigamala (Auckland); S Bachop (Otago), J Preston (Wellington); C Dowd, S Fitzpatrick (capt), O Brown (Auckland), S Gordon (Waikato), I Jones (North Auckland), J Joseph, A Pene (Otago), P Henderson (Southland). Replacement: Z Brooke (Auckland) for Joseph, 78.

Referee: C Thomas (Wales).

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 12:17
I think one area of weakness at Bath over many years has been transitioning older long serving players into the 'backroom'.
The likes of Banners and Flouw have a huge amount to offer to the club as their playing powers wain, and it feels that other clubs would have found a way to keep characters like these at the club and gradually switch their role away from the playing side.
Hooper is the only one I can think of that has been the exception to this rule in the last 15 years or so.

As for Hogg - good luck to him at Exeter. Excellent player but we have Mr Watson (assuming he re-signs) in that position and our budget would be better spent in other areas.

cookiecrumble

13 November, 2018 12:36
I agree. As good as Hogg is, Iím more than happy with Watson. If Bath can re-sign him, and the hints are that he will re-sign, that will be as good as (a new) signing. Retaining good players is just as good as recruiting new. Hasnít that been Baths problem in the recent past? Trying to plug holes with big name players rather than maintain some consistency in the squad over a few seasons.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 12:56
Transitioning long term players into coaching these days has some competition from outside rugby.

A lot of effort goes into preparing players for a life after rugby and that could mean finance worlds, marketing, property, even private education (Danny G and Zac F).

There's a whole world out there and players are much better prepared for it.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 13:07
I think our bigger problem is that we haven't got value for money from some of the bigger name players, more in relation to call ups and injuries. Flouw, Watson, JJ, Atwood, Felatau, etc.
It's clear Charteris hasn't been a value signing and Paz doesn't look like much (YET).
JJ's was off form but still better than most 13s in the league. Felatau hasn't been all action when playing (that often) but he's still been decent, certainly never poor anyway.
We'll have to see if Roberts offers a big contribution.
As cracking player as Flouw has been, he's not worth a marquee spot. I like Garvey but I'm not sure he's a modern 6. I'd look to get a good player using their salaries. A top replacement with Ellis would be great there. Underhill could play 6 too at a push.
Our back row only needs a bit of sorting out imo.
We're going need some replacements in the front 5. Surely everyone can see that. Upgrades too. I don't really know what genuine prospects we have coming through there. It looks to me like Bath have an uncanny knack of developing 6, 7 & 8s but little else at the mo.

If we really have 20 odd players up for renewal than we have an excellent opportunity to build a squad to compete for the top 4. A rare opportunity, even.

I'll be honest and say, looking back, there's been some good decisions, for me Joe C over the ageing Banners every time, Willison (much better than I thought), Perenise (great cover)
but the list of 'misses' is longer and it's been hard to discern any coherent long term plan despite the press releases.
With any luck, Dempsey is actually good at his job, has plenty of input and we get the players we need to make his plans for attack a reality. We need someone to sort the defence because we've been poor there this season.
With even more luck we get better coaches replacing the ones whom are leaving and together they give the playing staff an identity.
All easy to say but I haven't seen the evidence that the people who actually do the hiring know how to go about it. Hence we are where we are. QED.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 13:30
Quote:
Rawce
Quote:
Pie-Half
Did i miss something?
I think thatís within the Prem only? Pro 12 is a separate legal entity, hence why Hogg will be marquee. Confirmed by Exeter now.

Tank Hugh

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 13:33
Hell of an ABs side as well CB!!

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 14:56
Not wanting to poke any bears.... but maybe the reason we didnt approach Hogg was we were focused on ironing out the now confirmed deal with AW.

Some v gd news indeed.

Andy Goode's body double.

Bring back rucking and speed up the game. Simples, for rucks sake.

Anyone.But.Tiggers.

Charlie Ewels - Adopted player 2018/19
Levi Douglas - Adopted player 2017/18
Tom Homer - Adopted player 2016/17

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 15:11
I am amongst the first to say that I am not exactly happy that Exeter have now confirmed that they have signed Stuart Hogg - whom I rate as the best attacking 15 in the game personally (controversial perhaps given the likes of Le Roux, Ben Smith, McKenzie and Folau).

With that said, in Anthony Watson we have a British and Irish Lion starter and a player who see's his best position as being at 15. I suspect if there had been interest in Hogg it may have potentially forced Watson to look elsewhere though. After all you cannot exactly interchange Hogg onto the wing in the big games so it would have been AW forced to move which may have ruffled his young feathers.

In AW though we have a star and I am more than happy we keep him instead and give him time at 15 given Cokanasiga and Roko are both terrific wingers on less £ than Hogg would have been available at. Back three is not a position I see us needing to prioritise signings in given the strength we have there so Hogg will have to slip by us imo!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 15:24
Mmmm - Coka, Ant, Roko - I do want to see that back 3!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 15:48
Quote:
DB
I think one area of weakness at Bath over many years has been transitioning older long serving players into the 'backroom'.

What would such players do? There's a limit to how many coaches you want spoiling the broth. Is there a real reason to think any of them would be particularly good coaches? What other roles are there?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 15:53
A cursory glance at Saracens coaching team on their website shows:

McCall - Ulster
Phil Morrow - Ulster
Alex Sanderson -Sale
Kevin Sorrell - 303 appearances for Sarries
Joe Shaw - Sale,
Dan Vickers - Manly and NSW Waratahs

I wish people would stop thinking there is some immutable formula that, if only the club, would cook it up in the lab, would produce a champion team.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 12:06
I actually think our problems come more with transitioning older long serving players onto the bench and into the second string...

How often have we seen an up and comer held back by us forcing someone else into the starting lineup or bench in their place. I will give you some examples;

Ewels and Stooke with Garvey being played ahead of one of them.
Underhill with Louw.
Previously Batty being started ahead of Dunn.

It is only usually injuries that eventually give the young guys an extended run in the side and look how good people like Dunn, Ellis and Mercer have become with that game time.

I use them only as someone has mentioned their coaches above but Sarries seem to be able to transition their old heads well. They have Marcelo Bosch and Schalk Burger very rarely making the first team bench now let alone the starting line up, despite their big name status and achievements.

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 12:28
Schalk Burger is 35 and has 26 billion miles on the clock. Bosch is 34. I imagine they are pretty happy to still be paid a decent wage for their cameos.

'How often have we seen an up and comer held back by us forcing someone else into the starting lineup or bench in their place?'

Not very often is the answer i'd suggest.

cookiecrumble

14 November, 2018 13:08
I donít think I can remember cases where Stooke has been held back for Garvey. Was it last season, or one before where Stooke started every game, or some ridiculous stat like that?

I donít thinks Ewells has been held back either as I think itís actually quite surprising how much time on the sidelines he has spent with injury the last couple seasons. No long term injuries like Beno, but I feel like there hasnít been a lengthy injury free run for Ewells

(What was the question?)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net