rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

bathstigg
bathstigg (IP Logged)

Worcester Watershed
11 November, 2018 14:37
When taking my seat to watch this game it feels much more Hope than expectation. Win it and we can look up the table lose it and we will be bottom 3. The dire tactics by our coaches and poor execution by Bath players have put us in a precarious place.
Worcester will be without Josh Adams and Ben Teo but are on a winning roll, let’s hope for once home advantage counts at the Rec. This game to me is a watershed but the current coaching regime now in its 3rd season is a failure and the prospect of Hooper&co taking over doesn’t fill me with confidence.

OverTheBoarder
OverTheBorder (IP Logged)

Re: Worcester Watershed
11 November, 2018 14:44
Wuss fan here

Who’s this Te’o fella you mention? You don’t tend to miss what you’ve never had.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 14:51
Oh joy, another doom filled thread.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Kaapstad
Kaapstad (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 16:48
The next game has certainly taken on more importance that would have been expected at the start of the season.

OK, they haven't had a good start this year, but the talent is in the side and now the Premier Cup is not in the mix may be the team will produce a good result.

Good luck Bath!

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 17:08
We could certainly do with a win, but I see no reason to be despondent. Our last two Premership games were Sarries and Exeter, and hardly anyone wins those. The two before we won, for those with long memories. We shot ourselves in the foot in Europe, but screwing up what should have been wins doesn't mean we're irredeemably useless, just a bit dozy.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 17:24
Quote:
BathMatt53
Oh joy, another doom filled thread.

Started by son of BoB?

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 17:38
The trouble is if we win some will say 'it was only Worcs' or 'Worcs were terrible' so the doom and gllom will continue anyway.

bathstigg
bathstigg (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 17:39
No, I'm just a front row STH who thought Bath would kick on this season... Thus far not impressed!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 18:44
Quote:
B4thB4ck
The trouble is if we win some will say 'it was only Worcs' or 'Worcs were terrible' so the doom and gllom will continue anyway.

That’s what happens when you sit through three years of utter rubbish.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 18:49
Worcester looked very good today against Sarries from what I hear. Well coached playing good rugby. Suspect they’ll start as favourites next weekend.

Quote:
TCM2007
We could certainly do with a win, but I see no reason to be despondent. Our last two Premership games were Sarries and Exeter, and hardly anyone wins those. The two before we won, for those with long memories. We shot ourselves in the foot in Europe, but screwing up what should have been wins doesn't mean we're irredeemably useless, just a bit dozy.

Wow.

We should have laboured to a win against Toulouse you’re right. But on the other hand we should have drawn to Saints and very very nearly threw it away against Quins too. Two wins out of twelve. Bottom in Europe. Bottom in the Prem Cup. Eighth in the league.

And before you laugh off the Prem Cup, it shouldn’t be ok that other club’s youngsters are so much better than ours. Or in the case of Exeter, their kids so much better than our first teamers.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 19:16
You like stats Stuart...

Total wins so far this season:

Saracens: 6 2 2 = 10
Exeter: 6 2 0 = 8
Gloucester: 3 2 1 = 6
Worcester: 2 2 2 = 6
Bristol: 2 2 1 = 5
Northampton: 2 2 1 = 5
Newcastle: 1 2 2 = 5
Sale: 2 1 2 = 5
Harlequins: 2 1 1 = 4
Leicester: 3 0 1 = 4
Wasps: 4 0 0 = 4
Bath: 2 0 0 = 2

Thank god Biggar hit the posts in his conversion or it would have been 1 win.

Throw in one win out of 4 in the A League. The same A League where Bristol’s kids schooled ours.

There’s dozens more issues with the club but the above will do here.

Trawling
Trawling (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 19:23
Yawn

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 21:24
I was absolutely appalled by the stats you produced BO.

Shows where we are and how bad our total team results are compared with the other Prem sides. I thought we have to give the present coaching team under Todd a real chance to get the team of 'stars' we possess to play winning rugby and things would come good. Regretfully I can see the writing on the wall, and if we don't win on Saturday, even by. single point, we are in deeper trouble than I thought and relegation becomes a reality. How our management and coaching team can believe we are going in the right direction is beyond me and most other reasonable, intelligent rugby enthusiasts. Some people are living in fantasy land and it isn't any true Bath supporters.

Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 21:59
Congratulations, this forum has now become a tedious rant-fest. ‘True supporters’ blah blah. Not a thread can be started without descending into the same old bile...bit sad really.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 22:29
Quote:
ballsout
We should have laboured to a win against Toulouse you’re right. But on the other hand we should have drawn to Saints and very very nearly threw it away against Quins too. Two wins out of twelve. Bottom in Europe. Bottom in the Prem Cup. Eighth in the league.

And before you laugh off the Prem Cup, it shouldn’t be ok that other club’s youngsters are so much better than ours. Or in the case of Exeter, their kids so much better than our first teamers.

We are indeed bottom of our European group because of Freddie's howler, but a screw up like that doesn't mean we are useless.

8th in the league is the only one I'm concerned about. It shows (correctly) that we are average; mediocre. No one wants us to be average and mediocre, but exaggerating that up to being awful does no one any good.

Your stats suggest that the worst three teams in England are Bath, Leicester and Wasps. I would politely suggest that is nonsense.

Stuart

Former ed.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 23:13
Quote:
TCM2007
Quote:
ballsout

We are indeed bottom of our European group because of Freddie's howler, but a screw up like that doesn't mean we are useless.

8th in the league is the only one I'm concerned about. It shows (correctly) that we are average; mediocre. No one wants us to be average and mediocre, but exaggerating that up to being awful does no one any good.

Your stats suggest that the worst three teams in England are Bath, Leicester and Wasps. I would politely suggest that is nonsense.

Given how we conceded last minute tries against Gloucester and Saints and a dozen other teams in the last few years to lose a match we were winning, are you really that confident even if Freddie had scored we wouldn't have let Toulouse in for another try in the last few minutes?

You're right, a screw up like Freddie's howler doesn't mean we're useless. Our performance 5 weeks out of 6 does suggest that though. 8th is average? The worst of the average sides perhaps. Hooray.

My stats don't tell the full picture, you're right, but they do a decent job of it. Obviously European challenge up results skew the figures a bit, but I would absolutely suggest Bath are the worst team in England this season, or at least one of. Newcastle and Worcester are not only better coached, they're playing great rugby at present. Bristol's A side schooled ours, and we lost to their senior team.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

11 November, 2018 23:58
Quote:
BathMatt53
Congratulations, this forum has now become a tedious rant-fest. ‘True supporters’ blah blah. Not a thread can be started without descending into the same old bile...bit sad really.

I find a good solution is just not to read anything that BO and BOVB post. It's always the same , so it saves time, and my day is not tarnished by their hate.

smiling smiley

PS the sky in my world is blue with small, puffy white clouds. I like it that way.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 23:59 by joethefanatic.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 01:14
Quote:
bathstigg
No, I'm just a front row STH who thought Bath would kick on this season... Thus far not impressed!

I can identify with this comment rather more than what you said in introducing this thread. We have a great deal to prove nut I don’t think we have quite reached the “pits” that the two other doom-mongers suggest. It is often forgotten that there are another eleven highly competitive teams on this league, each with some excellent players & top coaches, which is why England is capable of almost beating the best team in the world with a shed load of players missing.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 07:03
Just to be clear... We're not bottom of our pool in Europe, we're above Wasps.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 07:51
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Some people are living in fantasy land and it isn't any true Bath supporters.

Please point to one person who has posted on this forum saying we are having the good season that the use of 'fantasy land' suggests.

We know form is poor, but your accusations are so wild they are clearly a wind up and remind me of D. Trump.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 09:51
Quote:
hasta
Just to be clear... We're not bottom of our pool in Europe, we're above Wasps.

Apologies, you're right. I forgot that Leinster game of theirs, a team we still have to play twice (Sm124)

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 09:52
IMHO there are 2 stand out sides in the Premiership that being Chiefs and Sarries; the quality in the Premiership is not great no better barometer than Europe to show this.

Personally I think we have a fairly decent first team squad, the problem is :

1. Morale - do not underestimate the damage done over the past 2 seasons - George Ford, Banners and some would argue the way we treated players such as Fearns; Devoto & Woodbury - it has caused a huge trust issue with the management.

2. Continuity - I do not honestly believe the coaches are happy with either of our 10s, they want the excitement and unpredictability of FB but the stability of RP and they cannot get it, every time we swap them the outside backs have to start all over again with defence and attacking plans - impossible to get any continuity, couple with that the injuries and lack of form not easy.

3. US - supporters and crowd - we have been on their backs for I do not know how long and as I said the atmosphere at the Red is more akin to a mortuary than a sporting arena - before people start accusing me that is an observation not a criticism, the rec crowd are a knowledgeable bunch and recognise tripe when it is being played, I think collectively we need to be more supportive not easy I know but I also know what it is like to play in a hostile environment it rubs off on the team, and it has!!

In summary I think we are struggling mentally, with our identity and professionally from the CEO down - TB is the key as he has the trust of the players and coaches alike - it is clear Hooper has a long way to go.

Hope not too depressing but I just want to finish by saying those who think the players are not trying are clearly deranged, additionally recruitment is not always about getting stars it is about keeping players like Banners and Louw who do so much for the club, the youth and the community never underestimate the signal this sends out when you let players like this go. Take a look at how Sarries and Chiefs utilise such players, many clubs would have release the likes of Steenson and Dollman years ago but not the Chiefs Rimmer and Horstman are other examples - Sarries the list is endless..we have to learn the importance of being a team and a club not just a machine in search of success at any cost, because that will cause our downfall like many before.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 10:10 by Ali1969.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 10:21
Reasonable summary Ali.

Bo/BoB - is there any chance you could just desist from adding to this thread - we know exactly what your views are, and you haven't added anything new or interesting for several months? You (bo) may even be right - but until you've got something new to add, or some evidence that you're willing or able to attribute, just assume the reaction is yadda yadda yadda.

My only query, Ali, is 'they want the excitement and unpredictability of FB but the stability of RP'.

It feels as though everyone is persisting in seeing FB as the maverick that he was about 5 years ago. The guy had the guts to take himself off to Tigers, and to win absolute admiration from their supporters. He buckled down, brought order to his game management and improved his defence. He's had a couple of interceptions this year, but that isn't a function of being a maverick, that's the inevitable result of playing so flat, and of looking to put people through holes, which he often does.

Again - bo, if you've got this far - no need to add your views. We know what they are.

Freddie has his faults, but I think the maverick label is miles out of date.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 10:27
Opti - I am a huge fan of Freddie but unfortunately he just seems to lack the control that RP brings.

IT is sad but that is how the coaches think

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 10:33
I don't disagree that RP is more of a game-manager, but I think Burns is also perfectly capable of kicking the corners when necessary, but is more likely to open up defences than Rhys.

I actually thought that the 10/15, dual playmakers strategy was starting to work really well though.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 10:37
There's a discussion to be had about who is the right fly-half for next season. This is not the thread for that.

Burns can make mistakes (his most recent being pretty high profile). But Rhys has just had too many 6/10 games for me. I can't remember anything he's done that's 8+/10 since Scarlets away last season.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 10:53
I'm happy to roar the team on to the field (and I don't need Sweet Caroline to help me) and to lift the side at key moments like 5 yard line outs, otherwise, it's hard to cheer when there ain't much to cheer about!

Dilemma

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 10:56
Yes - that's it for me hasta … 6/10 games.

I do actually think it's harder theses days for fly-halves like Priestland who used to manoeuvre the back 3 around, putting kicks in behind and across. Wings/full-backs are so brilliantly drilled and coordinated now, and support players such as no 8s are so fit, that it's almost impossible to find any grass that isn't covered, even on turnover ball. I'd still like to see kickers making more use of the old spiral kicks - because I think the old Ronan O'Gara kicks that would slide and swerve were a lot less easy to field than end-over-end kicks that are entirely predictable in their 'flight-path'.

dragonfly
dragonfly (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 11:10
Quote:
Ali1969
IMHO there are 2 stand out sides in the Premiership that being Chiefs and Sarries; the quality in the Premiership is not great no better barometer than Europe to show this.
Personally I think we have a fairly decent first team squad, the problem is :

1. Morale - do not underestimate the damage done over the past 2 seasons - George Ford, Banners and some would argue the way we treated players such as Fearns; Devoto & Woodbury - it has caused a huge trust issue with the management.

2. Continuity - I do not honestly believe the coaches are happy with either of our 10s, they want the excitement and unpredictability of FB but the stability of RP and they cannot get it, every time we swap them the outside backs have to start all over again with defence and attacking plans - impossible to get any continuity, couple with that the injuries and lack of form not easy.

3. US - supporters and crowd - we have been on their backs for I do not know how long and as I said the atmosphere at the Red is more akin to a mortuary than a sporting arena - before people start accusing me that is an observation not a criticism, the rec crowd are a knowledgeable bunch and recognise tripe when it is being played, I think collectively we need to be more supportive not easy I know but I also know what it is like to play in a hostile environment it rubs off on the team, and it has!!

In summary I think we are struggling mentally, with our identity and professionally from the CEO down - TB is the key as he has the trust of the players and coaches alike - it is clear Hooper has a long way to go.

Hope not too depressing but I just want to finish by saying those who think the players are not trying are clearly deranged, additionally recruitment is not always about getting stars it is about keeping players like Banners and Louw who do so much for the club, the youth and the community never underestimate the signal this sends out when you let players like this go. Take a look at how Sarries and Chiefs utilise such players, many clubs would have release the likes of Steenson and Dollman years ago but not the Chiefs Rimmer and Horstman are other examples - Sarries the list is endless..we have to learn the importance of being a team and a club not just a machine in search of success at any cost, because that will cause our downfall like many before.

One other factor that needs to be added to your list is injuries!! I know other clubs suffer but if you look at our injury list as published on the Offy on 6th November there are 11 players all of whom would be seen as part of the First team squad. Add to that the International call ups and you can understand why consistency of selection has been impossible this season.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 11:45
Ali - four out of the five you mention were directly attributable to Mike Ford and the club to direct action. I'm not sure how many more years we can claim that we're suffering from that particular hangover. As for Banners, the club has put its hand up and admitted they cocked up.

I'd actually encourage BO and BoB to post in this thread, as it's a honey trap for them. Just so long as they stop poisoning every.other.damn.thread on here with the same old ad nauseum. We're playing badly, we should be playing better, we get it, we don't need to have it reiterated every time, we don't need you to try your best to make it a hateful place for the other 99% of us.

Edit: sorry, I thought this was the "Angry Recruitment" thread, but in my defence, any and every thread is rendered a cesspit by BoB and BO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 12:03 by Rawce.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 12:17
Quote:
hasta
Burns does make big mistakes every single game

Fixed

He also wastes a ton of ball, that no professional 10 should be proud of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 12:21 by ballsout.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 12:23
That's just, like, your opinion, man.

bardofavon
bardofavon (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 17:11
the future for the club is with youth. guys like watson, ewels, stooke, mercer, underhill, obano, ellis, dunn will all want significant contract increases when their turn comes. these are some of the best young players in the country, many of them on the verge of the national side, some already there. there is only a finite pool of money for wages and wage inflation is already the reason why so many clubs are broke. we rely on craig to plug the gap but if he didnt we would effectively be bankrupt. given this, the senior players cannot expect to get pay increases once they head north of 30. it was right that banners moved to another club. sad but that is the way of pro sport. we had big joe lined up. which of them is going to provide a better return to the club over the next three years? garvey is another who is around 30. he was once a mainstay of the pack but he isnt any longer. he has more injuries than before and his lack of skils beyond the grunt department are on display every week. he has rapidly been overtaken by the youngsters. he gets nowhere near our best back row now and in the second row attwood, charts, stooke and ewels are all better than him. i would not renew his contract. i would not renew flouw's contract either. we get too few appearances from him and how many of those are quality in a season? one hand's worth? not good enough for a guy who is on top whack. he has just come back from the rugby championship and just when we need him for some key gallagher fixtures, he's off to the bok camp again. ironically his no 2 at bath for the 7 shirt, sam underhill, had a stormer this weekend (not meant to be a pun!). do we need flouw when we have underhill, bayliss and even ellis who can play there? time moves on and the club has to move with it.
as for the youngsters bath is way behind other clubs in the academy stakes in terms of numbers, especially in the backs. only clark and atkins have come through in recent times and frnakly i don't think either of them deserves a contract extension. their defense is woeful. compare quins' marchant's development with clark's. both of these guys played together in the u20s but marchant is now way ahead. we need to toughen up on who we offer contract renewals to and, with the money saved, we need to buy in some decent young english players- especially in the backs. andy uren of bristol (scrum half) is one i'd sign up in a flash.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 18:01
I agree with a lot of that but you also need senior players who the youngsters respect and learn from. It is a case of getting the balance right and hoping the odd club great finds his way into mentoring whilst still in the cap and if prepared to put some yards in, then coaching too.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 18:36
We need a new 10. Time and time again I've said it. Rhys too flaky; Freddie too unpredictable. I wouldn't renew Rhys. Freddie should play second fiddle to a big name game manager next year.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 20:21
Rhys Priestland would be 32 so it is possible that he may not have his contract renewed but who would you suggest, we need some experience at 10 remember.

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 21:28
Quote:
shipwrecked
Rhys Priestland would be 32 so it is possible that he may not have his contract renewed but who would you suggest, we need some experience at 10 remember.

It's all about who is available, which I admit, I don't know about. I saw Bernard Foley just signed with the AFRU until August 2019... Free agent thereafter...

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 06:25
We need to kick off a bit of succession planning at 10, and in all positions really. Is Rhys's contract up? Let him go, keep Freddie, spend a lot on a young ish 10, say 24, that's looking like the real deal. A promising 19 year old, a 24 year old next big thing and a 29 year old murcurial mentor sounds like the basis of an ongoing production line.

Of course what we will do is watch the WC. Go "oh shiny, the pundits are all taking about him. " And buy him in at great expense irrespective of what we need and how he fits into the squad and things carry on as usual.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 07:47
Who are the ‘shiny stars’ that Bruce has ‘bought at great expense irrespective of need and squad fit?’ Genuine question. It’s something that crops up a lot, but off the top of my head I don’t recall many that fit that description.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 08:36
Quote:
DanWiley
We need to kick off a bit of succession planning at 10, and in all positions really. Is Rhys's contract up? Let him go, keep Freddie, spend a lot on a young ish 10, say 24, that's looking like the real deal. A promising 19 year old, a 24 year old next big thing and a 29 year old murcurial mentor sounds like the basis of an ongoing production line.
Of course what we will do is watch the WC. Go "oh shiny, the pundits are all taking about him. " And buy him in at great expense irrespective of what we need and how he fits into the squad and things carry on as usual.

'A promising 19 year old'

We have young DeG in the pipeline.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 08:49
Young dG is at Leeds University - so I assume he doesn't see a professional career starting fully for at least another two seasons. Hard to see him doing much more than United games in that period. If he is regarded as a nailed-on future Bath 10, then the succession plan really requires either Priestland to sign another contract, or for a genuine competitor for the 10 jersey to be signed. We also need our 3rd choice 10 to be a viable option to start an important AP game, and Alex Davies isn't looking like that player - though I don't think the rationale behind his signing was inherently flawed. So it's possible that we'll need to sign two fly-halfs for next season, which won't be an easy balancing act.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 09:12
It goes against the grain for me to single out players for criticism but.... similarly to the discussions about whether results and trophies are preferable to supporting an entertaining team, Rhys and his style of play is a microcosm of that discussion so for me I would not renew.

I am not the DoR though who might prefer the balance of a sunny day/rainy day FH choice and our league position might become a bit more fraught going into the worst of the winter.

I would go with Burns nearly every time, back him so he grows into the role and has the confidence to attack without needing to force the game.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 09:55
B4thB4ck

Agreed- but the ideal of course would be to have both in the same body.

Mike Catt could certainly play the wet day stuff, even if his instinct was to open the game up. Butch James and Mike Ford had their good days in bad conditions too. I like that kind of fly half - usually a joy to watch and often able to spring the ideal surprise at the right moment. With players like that you have to accept though that their occasional error-strewn games tend to be in the wet.

PG

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 10:04
The ideal is to play Rhys at 10 with Freddie's attacking flair at 15?

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 10:30
If we're keeping one I'd much rather keep Rhys tbh, big leader at the club and is much more solid. Freddie is too much of a maverick. Neither of them are good under pressure.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 10:33
Rawce sorry you feel I make this an unpleasant place, but it was an observation not a quote I have been lucky enough to have played at the Rec and many other great venues, the Rec ihas gone from my days being a rawcus unpleasant place to visit as an opponent to one of the quietest places on earth.

In relation to Ford yes some of his actions were disgraceful in relation to nepatism and the way some players were treated but there are a fair few members of the team that made those decisions still at the club and never challenged him, the Banners incident proved the lack of understanding and empathy the contract negotiations team had, the same team doing business this season.

You are welcome to vent your anger at me because I am thick skinned however I believe a person has the right to voice their opinion on an open forum providing it is not rude, untrue or breaches any of our laws of the land, if you want to hear nothing but positive news at present may I suggest you follow the gold trail to Sarries and Chiefs and whoever is winning at the time where life is rosey, I am a realist in business, sport and life and when things are going not to plan there tends to be more than one problem and it is sad that we do not appear to learn from previous mistakes interesting Dan Evans has also picked up the point I made in relation to no continuity in key positions in the back line.

I will think twice now about commenting on this forum as it is clear certain people want to bury their heads in the sand, there is a “Ying and a Yang” we are presently out of kilter, I will continue supporting my team but not posting is it any wonder why some of our young talent may be seeking moves away with such ingenious comments and reactions from so called fans.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 10:49
"is it any wonder why some of our young talent may be seeking moves away with such ingenious comments and reactions from so called fans"

Are you really saying that players are affected by comments on this board? I find that incredibly unlikely.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 11:03
Who are you quoting Opti? Tricky to follow arguments if we don't use the quote feature.

I think someone said that some players read this board, whether it affects or influences is another matter entirely.

EDIT
Sorry found the comment

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/11/2018 11:06 by shipwrecked.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 11:07
Opti - yes they do more than you might think - Matt Garvey made reference to it as well.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 11:11
...so they read it, and they 'seek a move away from Bath because of it?'.

Are you actually suggesting that this board is uniquely critical of players compared to other clubs/fans?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 11:13
Banners was a club legend. But if the decision was between keeping him and getting Cokanasiga - which it seems to have been - do you really think it wasn't the right call?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 11:17
Quote:
Ali1969
I will think twice now about commenting on this forum as it is clear certain people want to bury their heads in the sand, there is a “Ying and a Yang” we are presently out of kilter, I will continue supporting my team but not posting is it any wonder why some of our young talent may be seeking moves away with such ingenious comments and reactions from so called fans.

Hold on there Ali, post your views, no-one expects contributors to churn out platitudes. I welcome criticism and reasoned argument I don't care if it is contentious or radical so please don't stop.

Not sure what you are referring to in the "people want to bury their heads in the sand" comment Ali but cries of "we are doomed" repeatedly has riled some including me.

What you are saying is perhaps negative, but it is reasoned, balanced, informed and not repeated incessantly.

Play on in my view!

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 11:21
Ali

I am not sure Rawce was accusing you of making this an unpleasant place. he doesn't name you and it could be from the context in his post that it is others he is complaining about.

PG

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 11:23
Quote:
Optimist
"is it any wonder why some of our young talent may be seeking moves away with such ingenious comments and reactions from so called fans"
Are you really saying that players are affected by comments on this board? I find that incredibly unlikely.

I'm puzzled here, what evidence is there that "our talent may be seeking moves away" and even if there is some who may what link is there with remote, anonymous criticism?

Yes, there is an organisational problem. The team on the pitch is under-achieving in both results and performances when compared to a) individual and collective quality/ability and b) weight of expectations. Certainly looking outside to other clubs leading the way we are missing synergy. But the extrapolation to talent wanting away is based on hearsay and conjecture as far as I can see - recent recruitment of the likes of JC, Willison etc suggests that the club can attract targets and there appears little to indicate that this will change in the next recruitment rounds - Hogg being lined up at Chiefs does nothing to affect that view, in my book

For me the club is something far more than just the players, coaches and staff - so my issue with much of the simplistic, negative barking on ere is that it gives a picture of a community that is not at one, not pulling in same direction, not sharing same vision and certainly not holding to same values - if an organisation, in whatever field is not fully cohesive then it cannot be as strong as it could be

All the standout case studies of true superteams will cite the necessity of honest, frank conversations when things are not going right, both individually and collectively but it is the style and intent that are crucial to ensure it will be a positive and not destructive force

So no, it won't lead to talent wanting away but yes, it is a part factor in a club under-achieving. And before the usual suspects jump in and accuse wearing rosy spectacles, I'm far from there and actually I do see a real possible threat of relegation, the history book will show plenty of examples of 'teams-too-good-to-go-down' going down. It is a case of finding the right way and right focus for expressing dissatisfaction and that includes at the ground as much as on ere

samlee99
samlee99 (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 11:33
Quote:
Ali1969
Rawce sorry you feel I make this an unpleasant place, but it was an observation not a quote I have been lucky enough to have played at the Rec and many other great venues, the Rec ihas gone from my days being a rawcus unpleasant place to visit as an opponent to one of the quietest places on earth.
In relation to Ford yes some of his actions were disgraceful in relation to nepatism and the way some players were treated but there are a fair few members of the team that made those decisions still at the club and never challenged him, the Banners incident proved the lack of understanding and empathy the contract negotiations team had, the same team doing business this season.

You are welcome to vent your anger at me because I am thick skinned however I believe a person has the right to voice their opinion on an open forum providing it is not rude, untrue or breaches any of our laws of the land, if you want to hear nothing but positive news at present may I suggest you follow the gold trail to Sarries and Chiefs and whoever is winning at the time where life is rosey, I am a realist in business, sport and life and when things are going not to plan there tends to be more than one problem and it is sad that we do not appear to learn from previous mistakes interesting Dan Evans has also picked up the point I made in relation to no continuity in key positions in the back line.

Some people love playing the victim don't they?

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 11:37
PG point taken thank you - shipwrecked thank you I understand the terminology “burying heads in the sand “ maybe deciphered as being negative but some on here appear to be living in another planet. Both on the negative and delirious side.

We have a decent first team squad no doubt about it - certainly not good enough to challenge but equally not relegation fodder - the problem is there is no depth to our squad and we are carrying a number of players who just are not good enough and don’t get any meaningful game time , this year there are no guarantees for relegation A Big Club will go down IMHO and at the moment we are low on Morale & Form and high on abstractions whether through injury or call ups so this is a challenging time for the club at a time of the year that we have struggled with in recent years.

There is no magic fix - players out of contract know they maybe not at the club next year so this is obviously a distraction for them as well.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 11:48
I don't think anyone of us is delirious about our situation, Ali1969, and you have put some very reasoned and constructive arguments. Regretfully there are some on ere who think that all the coaches and management should be sacked and wholesale dismissals and return to Lambridge. We are where we are and without being delirious about it I am certain that players, coaches and management are all determined to turn this poor season to date round. I am also certain they are just as frustrated and annoyed with results.

I maybe wrong but I think Garvey's comment was mostly directed at Twitter.

Keep posting mate!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 11:58
Quote:
Ali1969

Ali - only the para marked out as a response to you was in response to you, and I was only highlighting that the club took direct action on 4 out of the 5 cock ups you mentioned and also put their hands up to being responsible for the other. My apologies if I came across otherwise - I was addressing two separate things in one post, clearly unsuccessfully.

The rest was aimed only at the two individuals who make this place an unnecessary challenge to be part of. Again, my apologies if I wasn't clear on that.

I may have a few disagreements with others on here, but it's only really the same 'characters' who cause the problems that affect the rest of us. Us finally playing to our potential may ease some of the symptoms, but perhaps not the underlying cause.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 12:12
Quote:
CoochieCoo
I am certain that players, coaches and management are all determined to turn this poor season to date round.

"this poor season"? The past four poor seasons more like.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 12:17
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
CoochieCoo
I am certain that players, coaches and management are all determined to turn this poor season to date round.

Hang on, it was 3 bad seasons on another thread! Inflation eh?!
(Get your point though).
Going back to Rhys, he just doesn't stand flat enough for me, maybe I was spoilt watching George Ford on a good day.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 12:19
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
CoochieCoo
I am certain that players, coaches and management are all determined to turn thfis poor season to date round.

How do you turn round seasons that have already been completed? (Sm26)

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/11/2018 13:04 by CoochieCoo.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 12:36
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
CoochieCoo

BO

Still classing as "poor" the 2015 season when we reached the Prem final and narrowly missed out (by the length of a fingertip) on a European Cup semi?

PG

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 13:04
Quote:
CoochieCoo

Easy, the squad and coaches try and turn around the desperately poor Blackadder regime, into something that's actually decent.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 13:05
Quote:
P G Tips
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
CoochieCoo

BO

Still classing as "poor" the 2015 season when we reached the Prem final and narrowly missed out (by the length of a fingertip) on a European Cup semi?

PG

2015/16 = poor
2016/17 = poor
2017/18 = poor
2018/19 = poor so far

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 13:06
2018/19 is present not past.

PG

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 13:15
'some on here appear to be living in another planet. Both on the negative and delirious side'

Here's a challenge ali - if you can find one post that can legitimately be described as 'delirious' (as in extremely positive which is what you are clearly implying), I'll find you 10 that can legitimately be described as extremely negative.

And please, for the record, confirm that you believe or know that there are 'young players (who) are seeking a move away from bath because of comments and reactions from fans'.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 13:15
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
CoochieCoo

Easy, the squad and coaches try and turn around the desperately poor Blackadder regime, into something that's actually decent.

Which is exactly the point that the coaches and players will try and do. You, however, selectively picked out part of my comment in order to post your oft stated mantra. Tedious!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 13:19
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
CoochieCoo

Which is exactly the point that the coaches and players will try and do. You, however, selectively picked out part of my comment in order to post your oft stated mantra. Tedious!

Nothing about your original post mentioned previous seasons. I corrected your post by suggested they'll hopefully be intent on fixing seasons of terrible performances, not just these last 12 weeks.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 13:26
Thank you for correcting what didn't need correcting! I didn't mention previous seasons because I was only posting about the current season. What is past is past and cannot be undone! Hope that helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/11/2018 13:29 by CoochieCoo.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 13:31
bo - do you ever get the impression that you're boring the @#$%& out of people, and being a bit of a drag on everyone's mood? I don't doubt how sincere your support of Bath is, and how much you want us to be a champion club, and that many of your opinions are valid and that your rugby knowledge is deep. But at the end of the day - nothing you or any of us write on here is going to influence the success or otherwise of Bath Rugby. This is not a management brainstorming meeting the conclusions of which are going to form the basis of a strategic plan going forward - it's a fans' forum, where we come along to lighten up our day with a bit of chatter about the team(s) we 'support' and the sport we love. Do you not have a dog you could (metaphorically, of course) kick instead?

Otherwise - seriously, just write your plan down and send it to Bruce. He's the only one who can do anything about it.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 17:18
The bltching is really boring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/11/2018 17:18 by dannyf2.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 18:25
Quote:
bathstigg
When taking my seat to watch this game it feels much more Hope than expectation. Win it and we can look up the table lose it and we will be bottom 3. The dire tactics by our coaches and poor execution by Bath players have put us in a precarious place.
Worcester will be without Josh Adams and Ben Teo but are on a winning roll, let’s hope for once home advantage counts at the Rec. This game to me is a watershed but the current coaching regime now in its 3rd season is a failure and the prospect of Hooper&co taking over doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Can't disagree with anything you've said and the prospects for Bath due to poor management/coaching look bleak. I think the best thing you could do is to give up and don't go to the games. Take it from me you'll be so much happier than watching the team in a relegation struggle this season.

You're going to get even grumpier if you force yourself to go keep going to games.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 07:41
Coming back to this Saturday's game, and the OP, we have to make home advantage count.

At Twickenham last Saturday the crowd drowned out the Haka and inspired a fiery opening 30 dominance from England.

The best thing we supporters can do is make our presence felt at the Rec and give as much vocal support throughout as we can.

P G Tips

Alex Davies: my adopted Player, 2018-19.

Bathovalballer

15 November, 2018 09:22
Partly agree PGT. I and most others around me do give a cheer to our team running out on the pitch but then it is up to the players to respond by performing from the word go and more cheers will follow.

Much of that early match period comes down to the on field leadership after the coaches encouragement and motivation in the dressing room. That is where a good captain comes into his own, leading from the front, ensuring everyone is switched on and truly focused plus calling for the first collisions to be won.

Saturday's call to arms needs to be special, as if it was (might be) a rallying call in a relegation dog fight. If we loose the consequences could be catistrophic for the club. Just think will we attract the sponsorship and advertising revenues if we are in the Championship? It could scupper the new stadium finance.

After all the rest most of the players have had and time for practice to eradicate the silly errors of handling etc., there is absolutely no excuse for anything but a win. Let's hope the team do the job.

C'MON BATH.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 09:35
Sweet Caroline..................

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 09:45
From PGTs sticky thread on the game, there are 17 players either injured or likely to be on international duty so it's not a case of excuses but reasons why we are not playing our strongest team and rested those who could have played in the cup.

I don't like the term 'must win' much but I think it applies here.

I do have concerns over our defence, we have shipped a lot of tries this season and will be in a serious situation until the coaches can find a way to plug those gaps.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 09:52
7 injured players (which is a lot fewer than a lot of other prem teams)

[www.bathrugby.com]

5 away with England, 1 with SA. Can anyone think of any more on international duty?

Bathovalballer

15 November, 2018 09:53
To be fair, I believe Warriors are also without a few first choice players so again that is not an acceptable reason for a loss. This is crunch time for Bath Rugby and even a win is not the panaecia to all our ills. But it would be a huge start.

C'MON YOU BATH

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 10:04
Quote:
Bathovalballer
To be fair, I believe Warriors are also without a few first choice players so again that is not an acceptable reason for a loss. This is crunch time for Bath Rugby and even a win is not the panaecia to all our ills. But it would be a huge start.
C'MON YOU BATH

Well said, BoB. I can agree with that.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 10:35
I agree that this is an absolutely critical game for Bath's season. Lose and we will almost certainly start to get dragged down, and then the jitters could kick in hard. I also agree that absentees - injuries or Ints - is no excuse. The 23 that we put out will look very good on paper - that is one of the pluses of our squad which is deeper in numbers and quality than ever before.

It feels like the crossroads for this coaching team.

Sir Redneck
Sir Redneck (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 11:13
Sorry if this has been asked previously on this thread or elsewhere, but who's likely to be playing Number 8 for us on Saturday?

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 11:29
Chron suggests Josh Bayliss Sir Redneck - a back row of 6 Garvey, 7 Ellis, 8 Bayliss.

The return of Stooke from England gives a little more flexibility for the back 5 - he, Douglas and Reid my guess for 2 bench slots.

Saying that, Todd will probably spring a surprise!

PG

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 11:46
I had been assuming we'd have big Joe C in our ranks. Happy for him to get a cap, but let's hope Cooper Vuna is fit and firing.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 12:08
Both sides missing game changing wingers.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 15:55
Quote:
BathMatt53

We've still got one!!!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 15:58
For me there is one simple reason why Bath will lose this match, we have no coherent defensive strategy and ship tries for fun.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 16:01
Quote:
OutsideBath
For me there is one simple reason why Bath will lose this match, we have no coherent defensive strategy and ship tries for fun.

You are Katie Warriner and I claim my £5

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 16:23
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
OutsideBath

(Sm152)

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 18:59
Quote:
P G Tips
Coming back to this Saturday's game, and the OP, we have to make home advantage count.
At Twickenham last Saturday the crowd drowned out the Haka and inspired a fiery opening 30 dominance from England.

The best thing we supporters can do is make our presence felt at the Rec and give as much vocal support throughout as we can.

(Sm152)

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)

16 November, 2018 15:52
Quote:
BathMatt53

We still have our genuine game changer in Bryce Heem mind....

Rest assured that no one up the M5 is counting chickens. Even depleted you still put out a heck of a team. Head says this will be a tough old game all round.

Best of luck - may the best team win!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/11/2018 15:53 by TVM Rides Again.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

16 November, 2018 16:03
smiling smiley
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
OutsideBath

funny

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net