rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

wetside
wetside (IP Logged)

I'm the silent majority
13 November, 2018 19:46
Posters often refer to this site as akin to a pub. One in which punters express there views. Listen to others and make sensible comments/remarks in response. I am one who visits the site a lot but contributes little. A bit like someone in the pub who sips his beer and enjoys the conversations.
However in pubs there are those, who no matter what the subject will want to take centre stage and loudly express strongly held views over and over again. In a pub the answer is to move away and join/listen to a group whose discussions are fresh and interesting.
My problem is how do I create that pub environment on this site and remove myself from, to put it very mildly, the bores ?
I don't want to stop reading as so much on the site is interesting and newsworthy.
Any suggestions ?

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

Re: I'm the silent majority
13 November, 2018 19:55
If you find out I’ll join you. Having in the past run a pub I can attest to the 1 or 2 that can wreck it for the others that don’t want to bore everyone or pick a fight.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 19:58
This site has always been a broad church. Ignore posters who annoy you and respond to posters who you wish to have a discussion with. Just enjoy the virtual beer and the company. We need you.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 21:02
Didn't huxter or someone find a snug once?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 21:08
Fudpucker!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 21:14
I have been here a while and still can't find the bar.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 21:23
That's it! in some sense is damming that guys like that aren't around anymore, on the other hand it does show that these complaints aren't new and the bores come and go without doing anything special or original.

OBinFiji
OBinFiji (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 21:28
Gawd, you guys have let me down. I was fully expecting the first response to be ‘and so is my wife’. Maybe I’m getting old, he mutters asking for a chaser.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 21:34
I ignore posts by certain people.
I ignore certain topics (Brexit).
I generally don’t read any post which employs a ‘text box’ thingy from a previous poster.
I never read a post that has more than one of said quotes bracket boxes.
I very rarely read a post that is more than six lines long.

FLAP

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 21:56
Keep doing what you are doing Wetside, if you post expressing your frustration you are sending a strong message.

But don't put it in a ‘text box’ thingy or Sid won't read it! (Sm14)

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 22:15
Sid's post is 8 lines. I wonder if he read it

Lost Soul
Lost Soul (IP Logged)

13 November, 2018 23:46
There’s quiet ones in every bar. I think supping and listening when it gets interesting is underrated. Talking to hear your own voice is definitely overrated

sid the seagull

14 November, 2018 11:42
5 lines. One space and cheerio.
I make that five or six depending on your degree of pedantry.

HOP

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 11:52
Perhaps we should put in brackets when creating new topics;

Saturdays game (optimists only)
Saturdays game (pessimists only)

That way those of us who are more glass half full than half empty can separate from those who believe a Bath player revolution is imminent? Those who sit somewhere in the middle can choose the topic based on their mood (Sm100)

Sorry to hear as well that Sid has likely never read anything I have posted. I apologise as when I do post I tend to spill a weeks worth of thoughts on one topic out at a time and not then revisit. Sorry Sid!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 12:24
I know you're only joking BD, but what I believe the majority on here want is simply to cut out the exaggerations. 1. the exaggerations of how bad things are, and 2. the exaggerations of how positive everyone else is.

There are literally no posts by anyone trying to claim that all is rosy at Bath Rugby - yet bo and BoB, Tomato Soup and Nick Holder amongst a small minority still want to categorize as 'cheerleaders' and 'appeasers' anyone who is willing to look for positives or remain phlegmatic as to the current status. The hyperbole is an insult to everyone's intelligence and a major drag on the board.

Overlap Knock-on
Overlap Knock-on (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 12:34
The trouble is that the pessimists are winning at the moment. When the clubs fortunes change, and they will, this site will be a cheerier place.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 12:50
Quote:
Overlap Knock-on
The trouble is that the pessimists are winning at the moment. When the clubs fortunes change, and they will, this site will be a cheerier place.

No one is "winning". There are some very valid criticisms of the club, on and off the field, that are being aired. In the short term (our terrible season to date) and long term (a decade without any kind of trophy, and 1 play off appearance in all that time).

Beating Worcester on Saturday won't suddenly make the "pessimists" wrong, it'll just be a tiny step in the right direction for the club.

Susanne
Susanne (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 13:03
I'd forgotten Fudpucker's snug. If we bring back that and the Friday disco it would go a long way to helping. Meanwhile I shall continue reading some stuff and ignoring quite a lot!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 13:42
Quote:
Susanne
I'd forgotten Fudpucker's snug. If we bring back that and the Friday disco it would go a long way to helping. Meanwhile I shall continue reading some stuff and ignoring quite a lot!

.....and how is the Bard? Maybe one of his excellent contributions might help! winking smiley

DownSouth
DownSouth (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 14:23
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
Susanne

.....and how is the Bard? Maybe one of his excellent contributions might help! winking smiley

We’re definitely overdue an “And Lo...”

rodoftherec
rodoftherec (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 15:55
Truth is that in life generally the ones who shout loudest or post most in the digital era are those who are the most extreme in their views whether those views are positive or negative. The middle of the roaders are less likely to make their views known. The other aspect is that with instant access to forums we can all post minutes after the final whistle when we are full of bad or good emotions which sometimes makes for irrational postings - the same happens on the Man U forum when they lose heavily at home ! In the old days ( I am the wrong side of 70 ) you wrote a letter to the PINKUN raising your concerns which took a bit of effort, cost you a stamp and got published a week later !!
Sorry OP but we have to move with the times even if it can cause a few problems on the FORUM - and bear in mind that 20 years ago a forum was a Roman meeting place and did not exist in IT terms. All TIC I accept but food for thought perhaps ?

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 16:15
Results haven't been good this season -or for large parts of last. I cannot think of any on this board who claim they have.

However, the recent contract extensions of Catt, Ewels, Stooke & Watson, following those of Faletau, Rokodoguni, Mercer & Obano suggests that:

either not all is as bad with the club as some on here claim

or

eight players of international quality (or close) are gullible.

I wonder which?

PG

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 16:31
People read too much into players re-signing. If you're offered a new two or three year contract on more money, you're going to take it. They know coaches come and go at the drop of a hat, especially at Bath, so whilst it obviously shows it's not chaos behind the scenes, it doesn't mean much else.

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 18:23
There is always a Peregrin Took and a Strider in every pub..

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 22:52
Quote:
Optimist
I know you're only joking BD, but what I believe the majority on here want is simply to cut out the exaggerations. 1. the exaggerations of how bad things are, and 2. the exaggerations of how positive everyone else is.
There are literally no posts by anyone trying to claim that all is rosy at Bath Rugby - yet bo and BoB, Tomato Soup and Nick Holder amongst a small minority still want to categorize as 'cheerleaders' and 'appeasers' anyone who is willing to look for positives or remain phlegmatic as to the current status. The hyperbole is an insult to everyone's intelligence and a major drag on the board.
This. Very well put. I for one am glad the new rules will eventually thin it out, when applied.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 15:19
Quote:
ballsout
People read too much into players re-signing. If you're offered a new two or three year contract on more money, you're going to take it. They know coaches come and go at the drop of a hat, especially at Bath, so whilst it obviously shows it's not chaos behind the scenes, it doesn't mean much else.

Isn't your problem at the moment that coaches aren't going at the drop of a hat?

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 15:38
Quote:
hasta
Quote:
ballsout

Isn't your problem at the moment that coaches aren't going at the drop of a hat?

Sadly, just when it's needed most. Booth will gloat about 3 finals on Twitter, 3 finals we were soundly beaten in, while plenty of other teams are winning trophies.

Players still know that coaching is hardly the most secure job in sport.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 18:37
The players, much like us, know exactly what is happening this and next season for coaching

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 20:13
Quote:
hasta
The players, much like us, know exactly what is happening this and next season for coaching

..... and signing a new contract is a vote of confidence.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

15 November, 2018 23:40
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
hasta

Yes, in their wallets.

When Ben Franks or Petrus du Plessis signed for London Irish last year, it wasn't a vote of confidence for that club. Seriously, I'm thrilled they've re-signed but don't read too much into it.

sid the seagull

16 November, 2018 00:07
BO not on this thread, unwanted, go hence.
Dog Big yes I do and carefully just on 8 I observe.
Miller 8, agreed, definitely more JRRT please..
Wet side, we are in your debt.

PECHTHUD

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

16 November, 2018 07:17
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
hasta

Yes, in their wallets.

When Ben Franks or Petrus du Plessis signed for London Irish last year, it wasn't a vote of confidence for that club. Seriously, I'm thrilled they've re-signed but don't read too much into it.

I don’t entirely disagree with you on this point bo. Players need jobs, and there are only so many jobs to go round. However, you’re happy to infer from other eventualities when it suits your doomy and gloomy narrative - often with some spurious bit of ‘inside information’ that you can never actually substantiate or verify. You seem to have been taken hostage by misery, and ended up with Stockholm syndrome.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 November, 2018 07:36
Ben Franks and Petrus du Plessis are previously high earners looking for a game with a half decent team who will pay them the money they still want. The rugby world will have been Ewels, Watson, Stooke, Mercer's etc. oyster so I don't believe for one second that it was simply cash related or that the two scenarios are at all comparable.

I would have thought that England eligibility will have been a big factor as would enjoying life in Bath and at Bath Rugby. For Catt and Roko with families I would have thought that this was even more of a factor.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net