rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

Bath v Wuss
17 November, 2018 13:28
23 v 13

2 tries to 1

3 pens to 2

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)

Re: Bath v Wuss
17 November, 2018 14:01
A scrappy game won by the slightly better team.Our discipline,knock ons and awful lineouts and gifted tries have contributed to our loss.Attwood being the difference.

Well done Bath but imho an opportunity lost for Warriors.Maybe we thought we were playing Sarries or Chiefs.

A scoreline which is flattering for Bath but they made less mistakes.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2018 14:05 by w4rriorz1980.

supermarinematt
supermarinematt (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 14:01
Been poor really - score is deceiving. Had a lot of ball but its so predictable. Just bang it up the middle. The lack of control is worrying. Get in good position and turn it over - this should have been a much easier win. Wuss looked dangerous ball in hand and always caught us short out wide.

Attwood was very good. I really hope he stays at Bath after this season.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 14:02
FT

30 v 13

Sounded like an excellent game from Bath!!
Well done!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 14:03
30-13. Seemed like some poor breakdown work for Bath, but a comfortable win that wasn't ever really in doubt. They grew into the game and played the 80.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 14:07
Scrappy or not a convincing scoreline and a win which is worth its weight in gold after our barren patch and with a few player missing. Well done Bath!!

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 14:08
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
A scrappy game won by the slightly better team.Our discipline,knock ons and awful lineouts and gifted tries have contributed to our loss.Attwood being the difference.
Well done Bath but imho an opportunity lost for Warriors.Maybe we thought we were playing Sarries or Chiefs.

Salty.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 14:10
Maybe you're right.Just angry at our p i s s poor performance.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Shorty Shorty iiv
Shorty Shorty iiv (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 14:14
I’d call that a frustrating win... We left a lot of points out there and struggled to penetrate their defence, felt like it was Girv’s week off! Luckily we starved them of ball as they looked better than us with it in hand. Playing like that we’d come unstuck for sure against better opposition.

A win is a win however and some strong performances out there from the boys.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 14:18
We needed a win today, everyone on this board said it and they provided one against a Worcs team who have had some really great performances / results this year. Detailed analysis of the performance aside for now, very happy with the ‘W’.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 14:23
Quote:
BathMatt53
We needed a win today, everyone on this board said it and they provided one against a Worcs team who have had some really great performances / results this year. Detailed analysis of the performance aside for now, very happy with the ‘W’.

Exactly. Even saw some saying they’d take a single point victory so long as it was a win. Happy with that as long as we build some momentum off it. Thought Khan looked sharp when he came on which was good to see.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 14:29
Have only seen the score updates but I’ll take that. Worcester have played well this year and are no easy beats. Well done Bath!

Let’s hope that we maintain our momentum at Kingston Park and can start building for the rest of the season.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 15:54
I had to watch on bet365 so might be mistaken, but did I see Roko get 2/3 turnovers?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 15:58
Well, we needed the W, but by god we made hard work of it. How many visits to within 5 metres did we butcher? If it weren’t for our lineout functioning brilliantly in attack and defence, I don’t see how we’d have won that. Has Dempsey been hired to starve Roko of the ball? The amount of brain-dead pick and drives we choose over the option of giving Roko the ball in a yard of space is laughable.

Oh, and Chudley. Underwhelmed isn’t the half of it. Welcome back to the starting XV Kahn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2018 15:59 by Optimist.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 16:07
Quote:
Optimist
Well, we needed the W

Fin.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 16:14
I thought the pressure on the team showed in the first half. They started playing when creeping ahead. Once the gap got bigger there was some superb offloading. Amazing what winning does to confidence.

Wuss' quick passing and offloading was a joy to watch. Elliot Stooke and Tom Ellis were immense. Matt Garvey and Dave Attwood I thought put in great shifts.

Hopefully this win will give the lads heart to take up to Kingston Park.

Well done to the BB&W.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 16:15
Thought Elliott Stooke had a gem of a game.
His work around the set piece was dominant and tireles work all over the pitch.
MOTM (imho)

Westwardbound
Westwardbound (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 16:58
Was the last conversion taken and made? I couldn't see from my seat, and there seemed to be some confusion what with the removal of the streaker.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 17:09
Haven't seen the game so can't comment on Wuss handling but for sheer passing class take a look at the first two tries in the Scotland v South Africa game
Sublime and beautiful

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 17:10
Quote:
Westwardbound
Was the last conversion taken and made? I couldn't see from my seat, and there seemed to be some confusion what with the removal of the streaker.

Ballsout was pretty happy to see a Bath win so we should forgive him TBH.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 17:14
Any injuries?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 17:20
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Maybe you're right.Just angry at our p i s s poor performance.

Fair enough. Worcester Warriors director of rugby Alan Solomons:

"Simply, we had no field position and no possession. We spent the whole time tackling and on the back foot.

"You've got to give credit to your opposition. They thoroughly deserved their win. The scoreline was a fair reflection of the play.

"I feel we do have a good set-piece. It's just that today it didn't operate.

"The positive is that we kept at it defensively. We never threw in the towel. That was commendable."

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 17:24
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Westwardbound

Ballsout was pretty happy to see a Bath win so we should forgive him TBH.

Post of the month imho...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

ilovebathtime
ilovebathtime (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 17:43
We weren't amazing, and it's not aware I'll remember, but we won, and more than that we beat a side who aren't a bad team and were at near full strength when we weren't. I felt we were maybe playing too rigidly to a plan whereas Worcester could play what was in from them. For this week at least, it doesn't matter. We won!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 18:01
Quote:
w4rriorz1980

Wow.

What a gracious loser.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 18:03
Well according to the stats Mconnochie made 61m [most for any BBW] in only 13 minutes

That tells a story

But whatever so pleased for players and coaches to come away with a hard earned win that must do a shedload for the confidence

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 18:06
A big relief to get the win, that will build confidence and I guess you could say it was the right decision to rest players last week, not just for today but for the next couple of games too.

I listened to the radio commentary and you could tell from that how the different styles were in attack. With Bath possession, Andrew Sheridan would talk about who played last night, who would play later over the weekend and the colour of Chris Cook's new boots. With Worcs in possession he would raise his voice and get excited.

(If only Sheridan would tell us where the ball is on the pitch more than twice each half.... Maybe that's for another thread....)

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 18:10
Quote:
B4thB4ck
A big relief to get the win, that will build confidence and I guess you could say it was the right decision to rest players last week, not just for today but for the next couple of games too.
I listened to the radio commentary and you could tell from that how the different styles were in attack. With Bath possession, Andrew Sheridan would talk about who played last night, who would play later over the weekend and the colour of Chris Cook's new boots. With Worcs in possession he would raise his voice and get excited.

Yep. But it’s been like that for years, being outplayed with the ball by the opposition.

Anyway, a win! Hooray.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 18:20
I think when confidence is low you tend to fall back on a rigid framework of possession, set drills from training, territory.

Only one way to build that confidence, with a series of good results. Good performance will then follow and offloading will become the norm.

Therefore, same next week until the results from the recent games are a distant memory.

TomReagan
TomReagan (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 18:25
Last conversion missed- hurried drop goal as more important to atempt to get the bonus point try. Given the winless streak I can forgive the lack of creativity. Once the win was secure we played some lovely stuff. Admittedly, just for 7 or 8 minutes, but suggests a big part of the problem is a lack of confidence/ mental fragility rather than technical coaching. Kahn, as noted, made a huge difference. Stooke, Attwood, Ellis and Garvey superb. As others have said, Worcester looked good with the ball they had, but credit to our pack for the lineout work- can't remember seeing that much ball won off opposition throw-ins.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 18:26
Quote:
B4thB4ck
I think when confidence is low you tend to fall back on a rigid framework of possession, set drills from training, territory.
Only one way to build that confidence, with a series of good results. Good performance will then follow and offloading will become the norm.

Therefore, same next week until the results from the recent games are a distant memory.

Spot on, when its a 'must win' the pressure is on and simple mistakes are made. This is a talented bunch of players when they are able to relax a bit more we should see them play their natural game (I hope).

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 18:34
It was frustrating that we couldn’t make the Exeter style pick and goes work as we ended up giving up the ball, but we dominated that game. The guys were clearly feeling the pressure and having let leads go time after time were understandably too conservative.

But a solid win. Onwards.

Stuart

Former ed.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 19:27
Happy to share my (Amateur) Photos

(Sm128)Bath Rugby v Worcester Warriors

Sorry no streaker picture was out of focus

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty

Long Term
Long Term (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 19:38
In a must win game we kept it simple and looked to dominate the set piece and bully Worcester about the park whilst keeping turnovers, penalties and brain freezes to a minimum.Success starts with a strong pack.So the fact we did this on the whole(yes Freddie kicked the ball dead going for an attacking touch!), building and holding on to a lead for the win is positive.Being critical that we were not fluent in attack rather overlooks the situation we are in and the pressure the players are under not least from some on the forum.

MESSAGES->author

17 November, 2018 20:32
Can’t believe no one has mentioned the weather - a glorious Rec day!
Enjoyed the win too!!!

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 21:17
Actually thought the wuss defence was very well organised and we found very little space.. Still feel that fly half position needs to be addressed.. Just never know what to expect with Burns, he started the game with an error and their try came from his error.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 21:19
A win, any win is to be celebrated especially after our recent form and performances. Well done Bath.

But we did make hard work of it and our handling at times was atrocious. As were our choice of play options. Why oh why do we persist with the lineout drive, which didn't work, unless you count the lucky charge down which led to Ellis's game changing score. Kicking at least the penalty when the score was 16-10 which would have put us two scores up. Dumb choice in my view.

Why don't we take the ball on the run? When we started to in the latter stages we made ground, unlike our trundles from a standing start which often resullted in us going backwards. Also our handling at times was dreadful as was the waste of having Roko on the field. He could have been given the ball a number of times but no the carrier took the ball back inside or lost it in possession.

For all the rest most of our guys had which should have been spent on the practice field, was not reflected on the field.

Stooke and Attwood won that game with Ellis and young Douglas putting in telling performances. Dunn too. Personally I thought Chudley was always trying to put some speed on our game, which was static early on. He had little support runners or protection. Kahn did provide some direction to the proceedings.

Stooke is our best forward by far and his work rate was astonishing. He has to start every game if fit.

Also thought the young ref was very good.

Now we must build on this result and up our game at Newcastle next week.

Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 November, 2018 21:29
BoB

'Why don't we take the ball on the run? When we started to in the latter stages we made ground, unlike our trundles from a standing start which often resullted in us going backwards. Also our handling at times was dreadful as was the waste of having Roko on the field. He could have been given the ball a number of times but no the carrier took the ball back inside or lost it in possession.'

We are trying to play flat. That needs quick ball and we're not always getting it.

Magnified by moving bad/slow ball when it's clearly better to hold and re-set.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

18 November, 2018 09:54
Quote:
Old Bath Tub

They're very good OBT. Interesting to see the charge down as it looks more like Rllis getting the block tho report said is was Garvey

Devonport Boy
Devonport Boy (IP Logged)

18 November, 2018 10:43
The team and coaches were under incredible pressure to win that game yesterday. The seismic reaction on this and other social media sites had they lost doesn’t bear thinking about. Against that background we shouldn’t be surprised that the game plan in the early stages looked conservative and cagey. I thought there was a huge amount of character on display yesterday. No, it wasn’t (yet) the full game that we all want to see, but there were positives. For example, I think it was encouraging to see the bench making a positive impact and lifting the intensity.
As Todd said, it was a step in the right direction. Let’s see if they can keep moving forward over the next few games. We needed that result yesterday and we got it. Well done!

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

18 November, 2018 12:33
Quote:
gaz59
Quote:
Old Bath Tub

They're very good OBT. Interesting to see the charge down as it looks more like Rllis getting the block tho report said is was Garvey

Yes, almost certain it was Ellis

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

18 November, 2018 12:38
Quote:
Old Bath Tub
Quote:
gaz59
Quote:
Old Bath Tub

Yes, almost certain it was Ellis

From the BT sport highlights most definitely it was Tom Ellis try from his own charge down.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/11/2018 12:42 by CoochieCoo.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

18 November, 2018 15:01
Not getting the TBP was frustrating, but I agree with those who thought our aim was primarily the win - just dominate Worcester and keep it simple to avoid easy giveaways.

Also - credit Worcester defence, although I have to disagree with BoB -" the young ref was very good." as their defence was blatantly offside several times in the red zone during the final 15 minutes. Our ignoring overlaps was influenced by that. He had penalised them earlier and could be seen warning their Captain about it, so should have been consistent and pinged them late in the game.

PG

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

18 November, 2018 18:33
So hats off to Tom as that as great skill to get into position to charge down so can get to it within such a short dead ball area

Trawling
Trawling (IP Logged)

18 November, 2018 18:36
And clearly not 100% as he went off a couple of minutes later.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

18 November, 2018 21:12
Happy to take the win, Atters and Stooke were stand out.

McChonnachie is fast, shame he seemed to meet heavy traffic every time.

We missed having a true open side.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

19 November, 2018 06:57
Set piece dominance. Largely won the gain line in the carries, except the last shove to get over the line. Territorial kicking decent, but box kicking poor. Very flat - rugby league like. Our main problem is still a lack of game management and creativity at 9/10. We don't build anything, just revert to one-out crash balls and eventually knock it on, moving sideways. Don't think I saw a single offload.
On the whole good to get a win. Wuss made so many mistakes it was as if they wanted us to win. Should've got the BP.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

19 November, 2018 08:55
We made 9 offloads to Wuss' 4. Ruaridh McC made 1 in his 14 minute presence!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2018 08:58 by CoochieCoo.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

19 November, 2018 09:27
'9 offloads' - those are just stats CC. I think everyone knows the difference between 'passing the ball roughly around the time of getting tackled', and a genuine offload, which takes one, sometimes two tacklers completely out of the game, whilst putting a supporting shoulder-runner into free space.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 November, 2018 09:30
Willison is the offload King isn't he?

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

19 November, 2018 09:37
Quote:
Optimist
'9 offloads' - those are just stats CC. I think everyone knows the difference between 'passing the ball roughly around the time of getting tackled', and a genuine offload, which takes one, sometimes two tacklers completely out of the game, whilst putting a supporting shoulder-runner into free space.

Thank you

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

19 November, 2018 10:18
Well from the extended highlights we looked pretty good and had a strong grip on the game. Accept that a lot of close up TV coverage of the pick n drive near the line means you don't see the opportunities wider but two tries looked well worked and apart from the obvious fluffs Freddie seemed sharp, his distribution was good and a couple of nifty breaks to keep the defence guessing

I did mull over the fact that the Wuss try came from a long range first phase attack which is supposedly Dempsey's skill set but happy to give some time for that to come through

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

19 November, 2018 11:06
More stats taken from #RugbyBath on Twitter. I know some of you love stats!

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1542625315.jpg

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

19 November, 2018 11:26
CC - I don't question that we completely dominated that game, and that this is step one in winning. Our set piece is good too, so we have a solid platform to work from.

But if we can only manage 3 tries (one of them a charge-down, so hardly a well-worked try) from 73% possession and 76% territory, then we are very clearly going to struggle against Newc when we will probably have to get by with 50% possession and territory. Wuss were pretty terrible, other than a few flashes from broken play. With their lineout playing for us, they didn't have much choice but to give it a lash on the rare occasions when they got the ball.

We made more than twice as many passes and, essentially, made the same number of metres as Wuss - a tribute to the 'effectiveness' of the 2-centimetre pick and drive approach.

With such a ponderous back-row, I can see some sort of tactical justification for keeping the game narrow. Hopefully we'll have Zach back on Friday - Bayliss, Mercer, Ellis would look a much better balance for me. And if we also have big Joe C, then I'd hope we can vary the game a bit more to challenge Newc.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

19 November, 2018 11:34
Perhaps they were too rusty from being rested from the cup games, Opti!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

19 November, 2018 11:57
They probably were a bit rusty - all the more reason to hope that next Friday will see a marked improvement. I wonder if Stooke will be retained by England right to the end of the week - that will be a right ball-ache, with Charteris unlikely to be able to play on 3G.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

21 November, 2018 20:56
Quote:
Optimist
Oh, and Chudley. Underwhelmed isn’t the half of it. Welcome back to the starting XV Kahn.

Seems the gods are not best pleased with you Opti as your man is out with an eye injury so back to Chudders

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net