rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Weekend games
30 November, 2018 19:23
Oh dear, another weekend another Exeter grind-fest. Think I may learn how to cross stitch instead tonight...

[glad I didnít, Quins are putting in some lovely play]

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/11/2018 19:51 by BathMatt53.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Re: Weekend games
30 November, 2018 19:51
Thatís all we need - Quins looking much the better team. Are Exeter tiring?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 19:53
Quin's showing what can be done with a good defence, if only Bath would come up with a cohesive defence plan.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 20:03
Not just good defence, great all round game and domanted that 1st half in yards and possession.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 20:07
Quote:
BathMatt53
Not just good defence, great all round game and domanted that 1st half in yards and possession.

True, but good defence lays the platform for other aspects of the game. If Bath paid any attention to defence then we might actually be a half decent team.

If Quins carry on defending as well as they have done so far they will beat Exeter.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 20:13
Exeter are ROUTINELY offside against the back foot. They did it against us. They get away with it every week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/11/2018 20:15 by dannyf2.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 20:21
Sigh...it would be a pretty miserable life being an Exeter back. Turn up, watch your forwards flop over the line a few times, go home. Shame Cordero isnít playing, heís worth watching.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 20:35
Good grief. That ball is so clearly held up. Blimey.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 20:36
Quote:
dannyf2
Good grief. That ball is so clearly held up. Blimey.

This. 100% this. The 2nd ball didnít affect anything but for me it WAS clear and obvious hold up.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 20:40
Every ref seems to think the sun shines out of Devonshire.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 20:46
Voodoo magic.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 20:51
BOOM! Well done Quins. Positive rugby is a joy to watch! Now, close it out...

[omg Quins trying to throw it away...]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/11/2018 20:55 by BathMatt53.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 20:56
Chuffed to bits for quins... But we didn't need that!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 20:57
Donít care that it didnít do Bath any favours, it was a great win for them. Should have been further ahead TBH.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 21:52
Great to see Exeter lose for a change. Quins gained a result we were never near achieving & are another team leaving us in their wake.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 22:20
Exeter providing us all a cure for insomnia. Meanwhile theyíre heralded as the greatest things since sliced bread by Flatman and co.

Thrilled they lost, a lovely sight as always.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

30 November, 2018 22:33
Honestly, I'm finding the commentators fawning more annoying than the actual play. I appreciate what they are doing. They are doing some basics right, the ref does seem to buy into their narrative, but they aren't walking on water. Stop taking like they are all the time, it takes away from the genuinely nice things they do.

Well done quins, though you did your best to throw the game.

cookiecrumble
cookiecrumble (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 07:05
Many will probably disagree, but I think Austin is the only one that will call out teams if he can see theyíre Ďcheatingí (bit extreme term - is Ďbending the rulesí better?). Kay does but only after an infringement. If the ref doesnít blow up, he doesnít say anything.

After the Lawes offside incident I am seeing/understanding how attacking teams lengthen the ruck more, and Chiefs seem to do that by going well over the ruck then just lying in the press-up position. They donít make much effort to stay on their feet, and just means the defending team have to move a couple yards further back.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 07:33
Fantastic from Quins. Showed how you can beat Exeter - keep them out of your half, keep your discipline in the middle 40 and then attack from deep and put the ball in behind them. Having said that, it wasn't Exe at full strength.

Really enjoyed the game. Exe got more than they deserved, which I suppose is why they're in the top 2. But Quins looked superb, like a coming force. If they can keep their key men fit, Gustard seems to have them pointed in the right direction.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 08:09
Quote:
dr.bath1865
Having said that, it wasn't Exe at full strength.

That was the myth circulating pre match but Quins were missing a dozen players.

Whittenís length of the field try must have eclipsed all their others this season combined in terms of metres run in.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 08:23
Ha. Agree with your second point is BO.

My point is, Exe didnít bring back in their England players, which they couldíve done and the likes of Moon, Williams and Slade mightíve made a difference.

Bath Supporter Jack

01 December, 2018 10:26
Mmmmmhhhhh we could old have done without that......other than I am glad the Exeter way does not win everything.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 13:50
Dreadful scoreline at Ashton Gate, now Bristol will be above us.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 14:01
Quote:
OutsideBath

Agree, and a red for Kyle Eastmond (Sm20)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 14:29
Weíll be dragged into the relegation scrap if we lose tomorrow. Really, really need to win.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 15:11
Quote:
ballsout
Weíll be dragged into the relegation scrap if we lose tomorrow. Really, really need to win.

We're already in the relegation scrap.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 16:00
Quote:
OutsideBath

I prefer to look at the positives ......

..... Tigers got absolutely stuffed. Whatís not to like!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 16:13
Does anyone dare go onto the Dark Site. Theyíll still find time to ref whinge even after a hammering like that

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 16:28
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
OutsideBath

Whatís not to like? Bristol winning

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 16:36
It is crazy tight from 6th to 12th. Lose tomorrow and we'll probably be 2nd bottom, win with a BP and we'd be 6th.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 17:24
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
OutsideBath

Itís just a bit of a comfort that we arenít the only Club whose history isnít counting for much right now.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 17:50
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
OutsideBath

Itís just a bit of a comfort that we arenít the only Club whose history isnít counting for much right now.

Whilst you're right. Tigers have won 5 trophies in the last decade, we've won nothing.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 17:56
And that matters now because..?

Surely you have learnt past success entitles you to nothing.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 18:21
Except the occasional trophy in your cabinet and the smallest degree of success. Wouldn't mind some of that at Bath, but I suspect we'll be waiting a while.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 18:45
Jesus, that has to be right up there with the very worst Tigers results ever, doesnít it?

[m.rugbynetwork.net]

Their squad Ďone of the best in the leagueí pull the other one - I canít think of any that would get into a Sarries 23. The Tigers squad is probably the weakest that I can remember tbh, on paper and the pitch. A stuffing by Bris tells its own story. A bit sad really as Tigers are such a proud club with a very loyal fanbase - they deserve much better.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 18:54 by BathMatt53.

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 19:11
Since the creation of leagues in Rugby Union in 1987, only four clubs have never been relegated: Bath, Gloucester, Leicester and Wasps.

This could be the season when one of those four may well go down.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 19:15
Quote:
FourSticks
Since the creation of leagues in Rugby Union in 1987, only four clubs have never been relegated: Bath, Gloucester, Leicester and Wasps.
This could be the season when one of those four may well go down.

True, but I don't think it will be Gloucester or Wasps (Sm128)

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 19:20
Quote:
BathMatt53
Jesus, that has to be right up there with the very worst Tigers results ever, doesnít it?
[m.rugbynetwork.net]

Their squad Ďone of the best in the leagueí pull the other one - I canít think of any that would get into a Sarries 23. The Tigers squad is probably the weakest that I can remember tbh, on paper and the pitch. A stuffing by Bris tells its own story. A bit sad really as Tigers are such a proud club with a very loyal fanbase - they deserve much better.

Yes it does, but I keep replaying the 45-0 game, interesting to know if any other team
has nilled Leicester !

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 20:04
Quote:
Their squad Ďone of the best in the leagueí

(Sm22) Oh Yorkie said it, that explains it. Tigers' squad is the weakest it's been for ages, especially up front. Their backs are pretty good and on par with most teams though.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 20:10
Their first choice backs are pretty good. The drop-off is spectacular. And given they have Manu, Eastmond and Veainu who are frequently injured it seems poorly assembled.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 20:32
My god, this weekend's game takes on an even bigger importance. We have to beat Sale end of and I am so nervous as I still cannot see us doing it!

I will be there screaming from the rooftops.

C'mon you Bath, please........

Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 20:51
Quote:
hasta
Their first choice backs are pretty good. The drop-off is spectacular. And given they have Manu, Eastmond and Veainu who are frequently injured it seems poorly assembled.

Eastmond today?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 20:59
Yeah, didn't work out that well, did it? He's been playing reasonably well this season tbf.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

01 December, 2018 21:35
There are some really good wingers around at the moment. We are lucky to have Cokanasiga but there is stiff competition from Ollie Thornley who looks special.

HUGHVILLE
HUGHVILLE (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 07:33
I would like to think that a particular strain of nastiness directed at Exeter from a very small minority is not shared by genuine rugby fans at Bath. Remember Chiefs have been in the last 3 finals, Bath have not done so this century. Their style of play is not to everybodies taste but it is effective and does change dependant on the opposition

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 07:40
Quote:
HUGHVILLE
I would like to think that a particular strain of nastiness directed at Exeter from a very small minority is not shared by genuine rugby fans at Bath.

We had plenty of trolls from Exeter come on here in recent weeks to rub our noses in a loss.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 07:47
I donít have any hatred towards Exeter at all, just think that of all the teams in the premiership their style of play is the most boring and would rather watch pretty much anyone else. It is also not down to them being successful - I love watching Sarries play when they are on the TV.

I disagree about changing their style, it is massively forwards dominated and based on huge numbers of very small gain drives which add up to tries often as not. Very effective which their success shows, but not the rugby that most neutrals would want to watch IMO.

[edit: I forgot to add that I could watch Cordero all day long mind you, lovely feet and balance when he gets a game]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 07:49 by BathMatt53.

southgate
southgate (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 08:10
It's not a hatred of Exeter, the style of play isn't to everyone's taste,the red Indian connection is down right silly (grown men in feathers and all that.)and the little old team from Devon card is a bit pathetic.

Bathovalballer

02 December, 2018 09:16
I wish we had half of Exeter's recent success, boring or not, and I believe most Bath supporters would say the same.

southgate
southgate (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 09:26
Yes I also wish we had the success Exeter have had but there are certain things about.the club that some people just don't like .I admire them for the success but would I want to watch the rugby or be associated with the club NO .

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 10:23
Quote:
Bathovalballer
I wish we had half of Exeter's recent success, boring or not, and I believe most Bath supporters would say the same.

I really wish you wouldn't talk for me BoB, just say they are your views.

For me watching Bath is ALL about watching attacking rugby, which is why in my view why we are struggling. I am not at all sure the club want to win at all costs, I loved the way we played under Mike Ford before it went wrong.

I like the way the club gambled on SB, it went wrong but it could have gone so right!

Answer me truthfully, do you prefer watching Exeter and a steamy pack flopping over the line or on an outside break putting in Roko in the corner?

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

fat lock
fat lock (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 11:27
Well put shipwrecked

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 11:44
Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment shipwrecked, it's easy to forget that Bath success of old was built on forward domination and often scrum after scrum on the 5yds from the line in miserable conditions. Still it was riveting to watch, especially against an old enemy like Tigers.

Exeter just encapsulate that ethos in today's game, but perhaps don't have the talent out wide that either ourselves or Tigers did. Fancy Dan teams got nowhere then, and they get nowhere now.

However, it is my motivation to stand in the rain to watch such a spectacle that has long since diminished and youngsters brought up on instant gratification have no time for it.

Bathovalballer

02 December, 2018 12:10
Much much rather watch any break by Roko, as he is my adopted player, but regrettably with the lack of any decent ball from our pack and centres unable to pass the ball putting him into space, it is a very unlikely scenayat present.

In the 'old days', Bath's pack would grind out wins and, when they could, release the ball quickly with fast accurate passing to the likes of Horton, Barnes, Palmer and. Guscott, who could put wings like Trick, Slieghtholme, Swift, Evans etc. away in space.

However, I am also a realist and understand the need to win and maintain success. Rather that was by any means until we are able to throw the ball about with gay abandon when we have a dominate pack of forwards and backs who can accomplish basic skills.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 12:19
ďeasy to forget that Bath success of old was built on forward domination and often scrum after scrum on the 5yds from the line in miserable conditionĒ - equally easy to forget that ground conditions were massively inferior, and there was no stack of match-standard, ultra-grippy modern rugby balls being constantly dried throughout the match. Plus the many, many hours that players have for practice which means even prop forwards can throw decent spin passes off either hand, or that only 7 players have to play the entire game, so reducing fatigue and errors - all of which makes 15-man rugby considerably more feasible to execute whatever the conditions , where pragmatism often took over back in the day.

Exeterís pick and go rugby makes me want to weep with boredom. I would genuinely rather finish second than be told thatís the best way to succeed.

Bath Supporter Jack

02 December, 2018 13:47
+1 Opti!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 15:27
Exeter, after watching Bath for the last 40 all is forgiven, watching your guys is like base jumping compared to this snoozefest!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 15:30
We seem to have adopted Exeterís approach, with neither the relentless commitment to 2-centimetre rugby or the skill.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 15:39
We are going to get mugged arenít we.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 15:40
Quote:
Optimist
We are going to get mugged arenít we.

Not mugged when itís your own doing - we are serving them up an early Xmas pressie

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 16:07
What is your problem with Exeter?

I drink and forget stuff!

HUGHVILLE
HUGHVILLE (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 16:22
If that is the best Bath have to offer, glad I have the privalege of watching Chiefs

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 17:06
Quote:
HUGHVILLE
If that is the best Bath have to offer, glad I have the privalege of watching Chiefs

Nobody said that Bath were good, just that Exe are boring.

Jehovas Sandals

02 December, 2018 17:31
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
HUGHVILLE

Sooner watch our try scoring boring game and be sitting in the top two(again) than the dross you have to watch.
There are a lot of bitter Bath fans on here. Shame cos your club has a fine history.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 17:35
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
There are a lot of bitter Bath fans on here. Shame cos your club has a fine history.

I think your definition of a lot is....... a lot different to mine.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 17:47
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
HUGHVILLE

Sooner watch our try scoring boring game and be sitting in the top two(again) than the dross you have to watch.

You are still missing the point. Bath today certainly and Exe (Cordero and Possibly Slade accepted) play boring rugby. No point made on success (read the thread) Exe are very successful. Iím sure you like watching them as you are a fan. You are entitled to think that Bath are unsuccessful - because they are - and boring (because they were today). Knock yourself out. But it doesnít mean that Exe are good to watch for the neutral. Sorry.

Jehovas Sandals

02 December, 2018 18:16
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals

I think your definition of a lot is....... a lot different to mine.
Possibly.... But there a lot of you!

Jehovas Sandals

02 December, 2018 18:28
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
HUGHVILLE

You are still missing the point. Bath today certainly and Exe (Cordero and Possibly Slade accepted) play boring rugby. No point made on success (read the thread) Exeare very successful. Iím sure you like watching them as you are a fan. You are entitled to think that Bath are unsuccessful - because they are - and boring (because they were today). Knock yourself out. But it doesnít mean that Exe are good to watch for the neutral. Sorry.

Why apologise? Your entitled to an opinion. I'm really not missing the point. Our brand of rugby gets results and has got us to the Premiership Final for the last 3 seasons. We score trys a plenty.... Win games..... How is that boring?
I understand its a tough time for you guys especially as we are doing so well and even Brizzle are giving it a good go this season. I'm sure we will have a slump at some time.... Keep the faith with your boys!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 18:44
Because you score from 2 inches. Winning games isnít about entertainment. I will repeat, yes the club you love is successful. The rugby that the club you love plays is not attractive to many of those who support other teams.

Jehovas Sandals

02 December, 2018 18:59
Quote:
BathMatt53
Winning games isnít about entertainment..

And we win games without entertaining in your opinion..... So what's your point???

wombles222
wombles222 (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 19:07
This game is defined by a battle of the gain line, whether it is winning it by inches or by metres it matters little. I would also say that it is rather disingenuous to call Exeter boring based upon the final phase as it does an injustice to the level of skill, determination, accuracy and physicality that it takes to get to that last try scoring phase. This game is wonderful because it can be played in very many ways and with very many styles. As a Wasp I have seen us play some exeptionally exciting open field play and enjoyed it thoroughly. Indeed I have loved watching Biarritz, Toulouse, Stade Francais, Claremont, Harlequins, Crusaders, Highlanders, Blue Bulls in their free styling pomp. yet equally I am impressed with the phased physicality and accuracy that the likes of Exeter, Saracens, Toulon and Leinster, Leicester have had or do now provide. Indeed seeing a blend of the two which Munster, South Africa and New Zealand have demonstrated is admirable. This game can be as physical as an arm wrestle, as tactical as a game of chess yet as fluid and fast as a white water rafter, no one method, or combination thus of should be held higher than the others just as equally as one should not be castigated, to do so is to misunderstand the game at its roots and provide disservice to those that successfully employ a style that brings success, to do so damages the game at what is at its heart still a game for all shapes and sizes and styles.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 19:14
I reckon there should be another match official who has the power to determine whether the match is a 'normal' 4 pointer or a 2 pointer if the teams are just playing rubbish, boring stuff

One point all would have been a fairer outcome for today

And if there are no tries then neither side should get a point

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 19:23
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Quote:
BathMatt53

And we win games without entertaining in your opinion..... So what's your point???

I said that I donít find Exeter entertaining. You said that they win so how can that not be. You can be entertaining and lose, like Bris have been this season on more than a few occasions.

Iím not really sure where this debate can go from here - surely I canít be wrong about not being entertained by Exeterís pick and drive play? Im sure that if I was born in Exe etc I would think that itís awesome - I may even put on a headdress and whoop a bit.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 19:31
'.. may even put on a headdress and whoop a bit.'

No,no, anything but that.

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 19:36
Oh dear....and some of you have the gall to call Exeter boring!What a load of dross you turned out today.
When you did get inside the five meter line you didnt know what to do with it!

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 19:41
Toomanychiefs

Far too many on this board.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 19:50
Quote:
HUGHVILLE
I would like to think that a particular strain of nastiness directed at Exeter from a very small minority is not shared by genuine rugby fans at Bath. Remember Chiefs have been in the last 3 finals, Bath have not done so this century. Their style of play is not to everybodies taste but it is effective and does change dependant on the opposition

Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
HUGHVILLE

Quote:
Toomanychiefs
Oh dear....and some of you have the gall to call Exeter boring!What a load of dross you turned out today.
When you did get inside the five meter line you didnt know what to do with it!

Of the local clubs there are Gloucester supporters, Bristol supporters, Worcester supporters on rugbynetwork, someone please explain to me how it is only Exeter supporters that post on here, perhaps provocatively after a loss. Somewhat disappointing as I admire their climb from obscurity, that admiration is now a little tainted.

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

Jehovas Sandals

02 December, 2018 19:50
Quote:
Boldangrey
Toomanychiefs

Just defending our boring brand of rugby that gets results......which basicly is what matters.... The result!

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 19:54
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Quote:
Boldangrey
Toomanychiefs

Just defending our boring brand of rugby that gets results......which basicly is what matters.... The result!

Just confirming my statement that there are 'Far too many on this board.'

MESSAGES->author

02 December, 2018 19:55
Shipwrecked.

With all due respect im just responding to the person that started this thread specifically about Exeter.

Jehovas Sandals

02 December, 2018 20:06
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Quote:
Boldangrey
Toomanychiefs

Just confirming my statement that there are 'Far too many on this board.'

If your gonna talk a out us in a derogatory way we are going to respond....... freedom of speech and all that!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 20:19
Generally if your team is winning you don't care too much about the style of play.
However, it does not mean that the style of rugby is entertaining to the neutral. If you can't understand that then you are pretty dense.

Many, if not the vast majority on here respect how very good Exeter are at the style of rugby they play, but as we are not Exeter fans, there is no reason for us to like or enjoy the style. When watching matches as a neutral, we want to be entertained. Exeter just don't do that to many neutrals, again, no matter how very good they are at their style.

We also recognise how@#$%&our team are playing at the moment.

Jehovas Sandals

02 December, 2018 20:32
Quote:
Dorset Boy
Generally if your team is winning you don't care too much about the style of play.
However, it does not mean that the style of rugby is entertaining to the neutral. If you can't understand that then you are pretty dense.

Many, if not the vast majority on here respect how very good Exeter are at the style of rugby they play, but as we are not Exeter fans, there is no reason for us to like or enjoy the style. When watching matches as a neutral, we want to be entertained. Exeter just don't do that to many neutrals, again, no matter how very good they are at their style.

We also recognise how@#$%&our team are playing at the

Entertaining neutrals is not the intention..... Winning the game is.
We are doing quite well at the later..... I doubt the entertaining neutrals is on the radar.
The fact this thread has slagged off the Chiefs and our style of play just smacks of envy imo.

southgate
southgate (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 20:36
Maybe some people just don't like Exeter get over it and move on .

JFPC
JFPC (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 20:41
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Quote:
BathMatt53

That is the point.

In order of personal preference:
1. Attractive, entertaining rugby (Result almost irrelevant)
2. Boring but winning rugby. It's dull to watch but if it's your team at least you get to gloat over the teams you beat if you want to.
3. Boring and losing rugby. Sadly this is where Bath seem to be this season.

Exeter used to be my second team (was at uni there 20 odd years ago, enjoyed following their rise to the top but currently find watching them dull.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 20:49
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Quote:
Dorset Boy

We are doing quite well at the later..... I doubt the entertaining neutrals is on the radar.
The fact this thread has slagged off the Chiefs and our style of play just smacks of envy imo.

What a spectacularly obtuse argument! You donít care about entertaining neutrals. But youíre getting very cross with us for not being entertained by your unentertaining rugby.

JFPC
JFPC (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 20:52
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Quote:
Dorset Boy

If winning is all that matters then bully for you.
I'm not reading back through every post to check but fairly sure nobody is slagging off Exe. The style of play, aye, but not the club itself.
As for entertainment, if the game is not entertaining then sooner or later it will die. Casual fans will stop going, the tv money will drop and then even sugar daddies won't be able to keep it afloat. If you care about the game then you should care about entertaining neutrals.

plzd
plzd (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 21:15
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Quote:
Dorset Boy

I

I am a totally neutral fan I will go to every ground in the prem this season and many in the championship one I will not visit is ece as the rugby is just boring no one has said exe have not been successful just that they find it hard to watch. Sadly my experience of exe fans is that they are not embracing the idea of rugby which is to be respectful to other fans they have gone from a club I had great respect for to one I have none for now

MESSAGES->author

02 December, 2018 21:30
PLZD

Quote:
Sadly my experience of exe fans is that they are not embracing the idea of rugby which is to be respectful to other fans they have gone from a club I had great respect for to one I have none for now

We have been plagued by bath trolls for a number of years now on the Chiefs board so i think your comments are a bit rich tbh.

bcd1981
bcd1981 (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 21:31
Last weekend something exciting happened; the cross field kick to Cordero and resulting try for White was wonderful. Just sayin'.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 22:00
Hey, Exeter fans! Congrats on your success! You aren't everyone's favourite second team anymore. I appreciate that might be tough to deal with, but catch your tears in your Prem trophy and accept that the criticism is nothing that Leicester and Wasps didn't attract and is far, far less than Sarries get.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 22:02
Quote:
Toomanychiefs
PLZD
Quote:
Sadly my experience of exe fans is that they are not embracing the idea of rugby which is to be respectful to other fans they have gone from a club I had great respect for to one I have none for now

We have been plagued by bath trolls for a number of years now on the Chiefs board so i think your comments are a bit rich tbh.

PLZD isn't a Bath fan so your post isn't relevant, he said he is neutral and he is, (London Irish).

dragonfly
dragonfly (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 22:13
Quote:
wombles222
This game is defined by a battle of the gain line, whether it is winning it by inches or by metres it matters little. I would also say that it is rather disingenuous to call Exeter boring based upon the final phase as it does an injustice to the level of skill, determination, accuracy and physicality that it takes to get to that last try scoring phase. This game is wonderful because it can be played in very many ways and with very many styles. As a Wasp I have seen us play some exeptionally exciting open field play and enjoyed it thoroughly. Indeed I have loved watching Biarritz, Toulouse, Stade Francais, Claremont, Harlequins, Crusaders, Highlanders, Blue Bulls in their free styling pomp. yet equally I am impressed with the phased physicality and accuracy that the likes of Exeter, Saracens, Toulon and Leinster, Leicester have had or do now provide. Indeed seeing a blend of the two which Munster, South Africa and New Zealand have demonstrated is admirable. This game can be as physical as an arm wrestle, as tactical as a game of chess yet as fluid and fast as a white water rafter, no one method, or combination thus of should be held higher than the others just as equally as one should not be castigated, to do so is to misunderstand the game at its roots and provide disservice to those that successfully employ a style that brings success, to do so damages the game at what is at its heart still a game for all shapes and sizes and styles.

This is much too sensible a post for this forum!!
I would take a couple of "boring" wins rather than the headless chicken mode currently being adopted.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

02 December, 2018 22:13
What hasta said and I'd add that, perhaps, if you didn't barge onto other clubs sites stirring things up maybe people would have a little more time for you.

You seem to be your own worst enemy here. Actually, Bob is in the case of coml, who has been banging on about Exeter for so long now anyone would be a bit miffed with the source of his infatuation. But, him aside, you're doing your club's reputation no favours.

Rinkadink
Rinkadink (IP Logged)

04 December, 2018 00:49
It's amazing how many boards on here have run ins with Exeter supporters, wonder why that is (hint; it's not jealousy)...

MESSAGES->author
footrush (IP Logged)

04 December, 2018 14:30
Speaking as a Leinster fan my two favourite venues in England are Sandy Park and the Rec both Exeter and Bath are excellent places to visit at this time of year and the supporters in both clubs embody the spirit of the game for me !. Strange that there seems to be such a gulf between posters here ?.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net