rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

Rhys Priestland
08 January, 2019 16:34
....is leaving at the end of the season.
Confirmed on the Offy.

SJS
SJS (IP Logged)

Re: Rhys Priestland
08 January, 2019 16:35
Well. Interesting.

At the very least it confirms that we're getting someone else in!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 16:39
Never really showed us his best I thought, but wish him all the best. Hopefully he can go out on a high.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

SJS
SJS (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 16:43
He did have that purple patch last season which prompted his recall to the Welsh side - IIRC he was playing quite flat and attacking the line, with quite a few line breaks and chips over, but I think he was done by injuries unfortunately.

A great player, but as you say didn't consistently show his best enough. Looking forward to him showing us what he can do for the rest of the season!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 16:49
Handre Pollard?

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 16:49
Thanks for your service Rhys. Hope you play well until you head off. Still remember him bossing the game against Scarlett’s away. Top stuff, but hopefully an even better replacement heading our way!

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 16:50
So, who do we want post-RWC? Fred is our maverick, so it'll need to be a steady Eddie and presumablya top one who is looking for a payday after retiring from internationals.

How about Johnny Sexton? smiling smiley

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 17:01
Much rather keep Priestland than Burns. But I suppose Burns has another year on his contract, Rhys doesn’t.

Could have had Cipriani last year.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 17:14
Good summary SJS, at 32 he might struggle a bit for pace now. The modern game needs a 10 who can play flat. Question is, is anyone pencilled in? Not sure Symmonds at Exeter has he renewed his contract recently? Playing for Exeter he would be a low mileage 10!

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 17:29
I think it does confirm that business has been completed with a top line replacement for Rhys.
Pollard has a lot about him - quite a scalp if it comes to fruition.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 17:41
I like Rhys but he's never hit the heights with us, be that his or the club's fault.

Sounds like we might have a replacement lined up. Of all the top-class 10s available after the next WC, Pollard's the one I'd like most. Sexton and Farrell are no-gos. For me, Barrett would be short-sighted and cost the earth, which, even if he's marquee, doesn't seem like good business. Pollard is better than any of the Aussies, including Foley.

Pollard is young, his best years are ahead of him and he's growing into a quality Test level 10. He'd suit our game and give us out and out first choice and a real general on the field that we've been missing. Sure, he'd be away with SA but the calibre of 10 we want will be an international and the SA calendar doesn't interfere from November onwards.

If Cipriani doesn't fancy smarter training facilities, then I'd be delighted with Pollard.

Bath Supporter Jack

08 January, 2019 17:49
Never really got the hang of Priestland and not surprised we are not renewing.

His departure must free up a sizeable chunk of Salary Cap.

If the rumour about Pollard is correct then he will come as a Marquee player I guess to join Falatau........which I hope means we can arrange a sensible deal with Flow for another 2 years....?

Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 17:53
Probably a good guy but the right decision for him to go.

A confidence player who is injury prone. Just 10-15 more to ship out and we will be making some real progress.

There has to be consequences of non performance for the players as well as coaches.

Bath not been good enough for many years now given their resources and support.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 18:01
Pollard please god pollard

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 18:04
Interestingly, Priestland is one player I can see go into coaching. From what I gather, he is very highly thought of off the pitch.

Rokoholic
Rokoholic (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 18:31
Quote:
ballsout
Much rather keep Priestland than Burns. But I suppose Burns has another year on his contract, Rhys doesn’t.
Could have had Cipriani last year.

On what basis would you rather have kept Priestland, out of interest?

For me, keeping the younger, cheaper, more creative local lad in Burns makes more sense.

Nonetheless, thanks Rhys for your efforts and let’s pray for Pollard!

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 18:36
Good luck to him finding a new club soon - are any of the welsh sides on the lookout?

My memories of him at the Rec are tinged with genuine sadness as I believe he had a very raw rough time when Mike Ford was 'in charge' - tactful man management, let alone 'emotional intelligence' skills not being one of Mr Ford's outstanding attributes!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 19:00
Yes he is reportedly going to Scarlets.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 19:06
All the best to him, but we clearly need a shake up and that’s hard to achieve with the same guys ag10.

Stuart

Former ed.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 19:36
Quote:
Rokoholic
For me, keeping the younger, cheaper, more creative local lad in Burns makes more sense.
No dispute that Burns is younger, but wasn’t it speculated that he got a hefty pay deal as part of the Ford swap, since he was under contract and didn’t have to move.

wlatavg006
wlatavg006 (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 19:41
my lasting memory will be last season, Toulon away, penalty to Bath, Priestland kicked for the corner, too far, ball went dead, so infuriating !!!

small margins,

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 20:23
Always played with integrity and commitment, unfortunately he did sustain lots of injuries which undermined any opportunity for continuity.

Agree that he got a cr@ppy hand when George and Pops were picking the team.

Thanks Rhys, and best of luck for the future.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 20:48
For the record, can I claim that my wife and I saved Rhys' life on the Weston Road at about midnight on the Saturday after he had renewed his megabucks deal at Bath... He was rather 'well oiled' and stumbling around in the middle of the road - a couple of cars missed him by not very much before we ushered him back on to the pavement.

No problem Rhys - any time butty! Mine's a gem...

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 20:54
I wonder if its part of a last minute attempt to get in the Wales squad for the RWC or at least be available.

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

08 January, 2019 21:06
Not blaming anyone in particular, but it's not been a glorious success. Bon chance, Rhys.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 08:08
Wish him good luck but he' been extremely poor for us and has seen more of the physio than his teammates. . At times stands do deep I could ask him to hold my pint.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 08:24
Best of luck.

I'm afraid it always looked to me like a signing that was not well thought out and not part of a long term strategy, which he really could have been.

Why would Mike ford sign him, at massively over the odds money, just to warm the bench? He didn't seem to be brought in as part of a coherent strategy. Then as ford leaves we bring in Freddie who either seemed to supplant him or it was a case of "you two fight it out" again, not exactly a plan.

I guess what we do next will be interesting.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 08:57
Quote:
hasta
Not blaming anyone in particular, but it's not been a glorious success. Bon chance, Rhys.

My thoughts entirely Hasta

Bath Supporter Jack

09 January, 2019 09:38
I vaguely recall that Ford got him has international cover for George.

You are not allowed to put in a contract that you cannot play for your country.......but I thought here was an understanding for his £290,000 per year that he was not going to play for Wales.

Then he started playing well and stayed fit for a few games and Wales had a flyhalf crisis and so he was picked for Wales which then meant of course Ford's great plan went up in smoke and Bath were short at flyhalf!

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 10:25
Well, that's a new take on the situation at the time BFJ! (Sm16)

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 10:27
The story around Priestland alone would be enough to proscribe any mention of Mike Ford in this city. However, he's partially forgiven because the rugby Bath played under him was an absolute joy to watch … and we haven't had a lot of joy since.

MESSAGES->author
Griff (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 10:43
Sad to see Rhys leave, don;t think we saw or got the best out of him. Best of luck whatever he does next.

I sincerely hope the club have signed sealed and waiting to deliver on a new 10 before announcing Rhys is off, otherwise we could find ourselves in a situation where agents know we are looking for a 10 and add a few extra ££ to the salary and we end up with a poor replacement!

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

Sam Underhill Adopted Player 2018/19

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 10:53
It looks to me that Rhys announced it first (to the Chron) and then Bath released an official statement to catch up?

by
by (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 10:59
From the chronicle article, it sounded as though Rhys declined an extension, anyone else agree?

Anyways I've always rated him as a 10 just a shame he never got a good run of games due to injury. Hope his next club goes better for him.

As for a replacement, Pollard would be a dream signing, however I do worry that 10 isn't the real problem at Bath and this will just patch over the underlying issues of the squads culture.

Montyuk
Montyuk (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 11:04
According to Pollard's Wikipedia page, he is joining Bath in 2019...

Adopted player 2018/19: Max Clark

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 11:06
You need to free up cap room in the modern game and you cannot have a top earner warming the bench. I would like to see 2 players who can play 10,12 or 15, so that they can play together with each other or take on the main job when needed. A Farrell, Lozowski or Slade type of player. Burns and Priestland are both pure 10s. Mallinder and Mallins were both great at junior level but have not kicked on for various reasons. The opportunities for Da Glanville have not been great, so maybe he could be given a go once relegation is avoided. Having said that - a lot gets solved if Pollard arrives.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

My reading of the Chron article is that he wasn't offered an extension - or at least if he was it was an offer he couldn't not refuse.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Quote:
by
From the chronicle article, it sounded as though Rhys declined an extension, anyone else agree?

No, Todd has already said he wants a new 10 - my guess is that it was probably mutual or Baths decision?

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 11:15
Quote:
dannyf2
For the record, can I claim that my wife and I saved Rhys' life on the Weston Road at about midnight on the Saturday after he had renewed his megabucks deal at Bath... He was rather 'well oiled' and stumbling around in the middle of the road

Kind of ironic that many of us wanted him stood in a different, more risky position when on the pitch....!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 11:21
Never quite worked at Bath for RP, good luck to him for the future.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 11:25
Funny that some people talk about how flat Priestland stands and others about how deep he stands.

I guess it's not about where you are standing when the ball goes into a scrum or as the breakdown happens - it's all about where you make your pass. Ford is pretty much the acknowledged master of making the pass as late as possible. Of our two 10s, Freddie seems to me to be the one who throws the flattest passes with a higher risk/reward ratio; while Priestland may take the ball close to the line but probably attempts the safer passing option - either passing sooner or going behind.

Bath Supporter Jack

09 January, 2019 11:37
Masterclass!!(Sm154)

As a matter of interest Opti where did Butch James fit with that analysis?

SJS
SJS (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 11:41
Quote:
Optimist
Funny that some people talk about how flat Priestland stands and others about how deep he stands.
I guess it's not about where you are standing when the ball goes into a scrum or as the breakdown happens - it's all about where you make your pass. Ford is pretty much the acknowledged master of making the pass as late as possible. Of our two 10s, Freddie seems to me to be the one who throws the flattest passes with a higher risk/reward ratio; while Priestland may take the ball close to the line but probably attempts the safer passing option - either passing sooner or going behind.

Yes - I was one of those, and it was noticeable that when Rhys first started for us, he was playing quite deep but as his confidence grew, he started attacking the line, but in his last two cameos he was playing deep again. I suppose it depends on the game plan and strategy - last season's "kick it away" plan meant he was fine playing deep, but what seems to be emerging this season appears more attack minded.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I thought we played well when we had RP at 10 and FB at 15 in the 'dual playmaker' role; unfortunately it was overshadowed by Freddie's howler...

btry1
btry1 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 11:50

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 11:52
The flatness is an interesting one, I agree possibly a bit of a red herring in this case, but it seems poorly understood, maybe that is why its a red herring?

I recall when I was a junior, 20+ years ago, the fashion was to stand very deep (all backs) something like 45% degrees was what we were encouraged. What our coaches never explained, I expect because they didn't understand, is that was because the pass should have been lateral and the metres the receiver was behind the pass meant he HAD to hit it a high speed. Instead I saw, and still do sometimes, the ball being passed backwards several metres in order to reach a static player standing deep.

That was back when the idea of a forward pass being relative to the pitch was more prevalent. In order to pass backwards AND hit the ball fast you HAD to be a good distance behind the player passing. These days this idea is largely gone, as long as the ball goes backwards relative to the passer its fine, so if the passer and receiver are running at the same (high) speed its all good.

Oddly I now see the opposite misunderstanding, coaches saying universally saying "keep flat, keep flat" without realising that its now the speed of the passer that dictates everything. If they aren't moving forward quickly it would probably be better for the receiver to stand deep so at least they can take the ball at pace.

Sorry, Opti's post might have take me on a random train of thought there. I'm sure it relates to Rhys somehow... oh yes, flat or deep isn't really the issue, it's what you (and your team mates) do with that ball you can do bad or good in either case.

SJS
SJS (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 11:53
Quote:
btry1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handr%C3%A9_Pollard

It's been removed - the edit log suggested it is because the move is 'unconfirmed'.

Anyone can edit Wikipedia, so whilst it's promising, it's a long way from conclusive.

SJS
SJS (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 11:55
Quote:
DanWiley
The flatness is an interesting on<snip> oh yes, flat or deep isn't really the issue, it's what you (and your team mates) do with that ball you can do bad or good in either case.

I think that was what I was rather inelegantly trying to say!

btry1
btry1 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 11:55
[quote SJS][quote btry1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handr%C3%A9_Pollard[/quote]

It's been removed - the edit log suggested it is because the move is 'unconfirmed'.

Anyone can edit Wikipedia, so whilst it's promising, it's a long way from conclusive.[/quote

if you google handre pollard the small box on the right still contains it

btry1
btry1 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 11:57
cipriani is only on a 1 year contract at gloucester i believe
snap him up qucik
although the shed wants to keep him

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 12:09
[quote btry1][quote SJS][quote btry1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handr%C3%A9_Pollard[/quote]

Anyone can edit Wikipedia, so whilst it's promising, it's a long way from conclusive.[/quote

if you google handre pollard the small box on the right still contains it[/quote]

Not for me, but then what am I looking for?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 12:57
'Shipwrecked joins Bath Rugby to replace Rhys Priestland in shock move. Handre Pollard disappointed'.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 13:44
Breaking News

Old prostates have turned down Handre Pollards application to join as they have reason to believe he lied about his age and is not yet 40.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 13:47
Would be an interesting game Bath v Sale if Pollard did come here!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 13:49
Does that mean I have to get drunk on Weston Road so that dannyf2 and his mrs have to rescue me!

PS I will be available for selfies and will give full fitness updates to BnG only. (Matt, I'll have a word about getting your lads on the youth squad) (Sm59)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 14:08
I'm sure you could manage the getting drunk on Weston Road part of the gig SW...!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 14:14
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
where did Butch James fit with that analysis?

My main recollection of Butch is just how imaginative his kicking game was, how brilliant his no-look passes were and - a bit like George - how he could always keep a couple of defenders 'interested'.

That's another aspect of the 10s passing game - whether they can retain passing accuracy and length whilst moving at speed. You see some guys who have to have their feet planted in order to get a pass off, which eliminates most of the variables from the defenders' point of view.

I'm also convinced that innovation in kicking technique and strategy is one of the great unexplored areas of the current game - it's yet to catch up with the fact that it's become virtually impossible to find grass in the back-field, and that 'contestable' kicks are weighted in the defender's favour.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 14:44
Quote:
Optimist

Isn't the difference in the giving rather than the receiving, so to speak

If a 10 stands as flat as allowed then obviously he will have less time to assess options on receipt and will often rely on the play called or go safe and pass back. Standing deeper allows more time for other options and change of call if spots, for example defender slipping out of line but can still deliver a pass flat to the line for a big break

Def agree with Opti on the Butch assessment - in my twilight playing years at 2nd/3rd team level I tried the reverse kick from outside of boot for the blind side winger and it actually worked a dream, once! But then so did my 'Jonathan Davies' dummy drop kick from scrum just outside 22 to nip past their 10 jumping to block the drop, draw their 15 and put our centre in under the posts. Again, just once, a pity about all the other comedy fiasco attempts!

Hymenoptera
Hymenoptera (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 15:03
Quote:
btry1
snap him up qucik

Word is on 440k, a renew to get more given his England overlook.

Decent bucks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2019 15:03 by Hymenoptera.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 15:06
I think that's what makes players like Ford exceptional, they CAN make those assessments even standing flat and taking it forward.

"I'm also convinced that innovation in kicking technique and strategy is one of the great unexplored areas of the current game"

I agree. I'm increasingly looking at the "advantage kick" that is the top end 10s often use a penalty advantage to try a speculative kick. The interesting thing is, it comes off a high proportion of the time and even when it doesn't, even if there wasn't an advtange, it leave the attack in a good position. See Ford's kick for Tiggers try against us and many occasions from Farrell.

There's an element of the chasers can fly up as they has no concerns about defence, and similar factors, but that's largely physiological and can probably be covered by good team work anyway.

I guess the counter argument is Burns does it all time and often all we achieve is giving the ball away.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 15:35
Quote:
Hymenoptera
Quote:
btry1
snap him up qucik

Word is on 440k, a renew to get more given his England overlook.

Decent bucks

That's no small potatoes. I guess it depends on the length of contract - if RP was on the reported £350+ then £440 looks not unreasonable based on how he makes a team tick.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 15:54
I'd be nervous about getting cipriani in. In the sense of a guy who moves around a lot (does his days work then looks for another job) he's very much a journeyman and a potentially disruptive one at that. I'd much rather we got a long term strategy together and I don't think you can build one of those around Danny.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 15:58
"Isn't the difference in the giving rather than the receiving, so to speak" - yes, I think that's it. It's ripe for a bit of the Rugby World style analysis though.

On the kicking front - when you look at box-kicking for example - you can see practically everyone on the pitch yawning as they assume 'battle positions', it's all so boringly choreographed. It's ripe for a bit of sleight of hand, or for a little dink in behind; or for the 9 to kick the ball flatter and try to get the waiting wing or full-back to have to go backwards rather than forwards.

Faz seems to be doing the hard grubber kick more often as the means to put the ball into touch in the opposition half when attacks have ground to a halt.

I'm waiting for someone to rediscover the Ronan O'Gara raking spirals - and some Juan Martin Hernandez (or Gaz-style!) reverses and inside-outs.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 16:44
I don't think you should build any strategy around one player, you need a team that can cope with next cab off the rank in any position. That applies to anyone, Pollard, Cipriani...

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 17:03
Quote:
gaz59
Def agree with Opti on the Butch assessment - in my twilight playing years at 2nd/3rd team level I tried the reverse kick from outside of boot for the blind side winger and it actually worked a dream, once!

Its a really difficult skill to master, it needs a 10 or a 9 who can kick of both feet equally well, even today there are not many of those! If you are moving right to left on the pitch. Its almost inevitable that it gets kicked left.

It was the cross kick that did England in the RWC against Wales when Gareth Davies put it in front of the posts from the left wing.

Works well in broken play but nowadays finding space not covered by one of the back 3 is pretty difficult given the propensity for kicking duels.

Have to say it would be good to see it back. Does anyone remember the "forward rush" tactic?

MESSAGES->author

09 January, 2019 17:38
Quote:
DanWiley
I'd be nervous about getting cipriani in. In the sense of a guy who moves around a lot (does his days work then looks for another job) he's very much a journeyman and a potentially disruptive one at that. I'd much rather we got a long term strategy together and I don't think you can build one of those around Danny.

Cipriani is many things but a "journeyman" is not one of them. He is a difficult, arrogant, demanding genius of a fly half who could transform us into title contenders. Or not. With Cips you pays your money and then you get to find out. But his ceiling is higher (and his floor lower) than any fly half I've seen since Carlos Spencer.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 17:47
One of Butch's most outstanding attributes was his ability to take a players head off without getting penalised

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 17:54
Quote:
shipwrecked
Does that mean I have to get drunk on Weston Road so that dannyf2 and his mrs have to rescue me!
PS I will be available for selfies and will give full fitness updates to BnG only. (Matt, I'll have a word about getting your lads on the youth squad) (Sm59)

Cats, old ladies, international fly half's, COML posters... We'll save them all if necessary

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 18:02
Dan - that's a world first - Cipriani as 'journeyman'. But I do think his value to the team is fairly dependent on the type of coach you have. Eddie Jones has clearly decided that he can't cope with players who like to take charge and might go outside a pre-set gameplan.

There's very little evidence of our current group of players feeling very comfortable having to actually bend a gameplan to a changing situation - whether that is because they just aren't capable of doing that, or because Blackadder is overly prescriptive I don't know. But I would love to have seen Cipriani working on a 19-3 lead over Worcester - I think we'd have walked away with the game; and I think he would have guided us over the try line any number of times this season when we have stuffed up prime attacking positions.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 18:20
Interesting analysis of deep versus flat fly halfing. Looking forward to the episode on shallow versus lumpy front rows. To my uneducated eye I would have thought that if your two plays are 'Bosh it up the middle' and 'hoof it to the heavens' then there are distinct disadvantages to taking the ball too deep.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 19:00
Quote:
DanWiley
I'd be nervous about getting cipriani in. In the sense of a guy who moves around a lot (does his days work then looks for another job) he's very much a journeyman

In the sense of using the word to mean something other than it’s meaning? “Journeyman” has nothing to do with moving around. It it is the level of skill in a trade one notch below master craftsman- “jour” as in day because they were traditionally pad by the day.

Stuart

Former ed.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 19:40
Sure, paid by the day. They do their bit and when they get bored or opportunity doesn't present itself they move on, they typically don't become the master until they settle. I did qualify my meaning as such.

MESSAGES->author

09 January, 2019 19:48
Quote:
DanWiley
Sure, paid by the day. They do their bit and when they get bored or opportunity doesn't present itself they move on, they typically don't become the master until they settle. I did qualify my meaning as such.

But they were paid by the day because they were no longer indentured apprentices (ie had become trained, skilled workers) not because they moved on frequently.

The whole wage and salary thing (ie delayed payment for work already completed) is a capitalist plot against the working man!

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2019 19:49 by joethefanatic.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 19:49
Isn’t that The Littlest Hobo?

MESSAGES->author

09 January, 2019 19:51
Quote:
joethefanatic
Quote:
DanWiley

But they were paid by the day because they were no longer indentured apprentices (ie had become trained, skilled workers) not because they moved on frequently.

The whole wage and salary thing (ie delayed payment for work already completed) is a capitalist plot against the working man!

And the final work you did as an apprentice to prove you had learned the skills of your trade was your "masterpiece".

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 19:58
I think you could get bogged down in the semantics of this. The point is that Danny hasn't established himself as a master anywhere because he's not stuck around. People do use the word journeyman in that context and, particularly as I qualified it, that common usage should have been enough not to have this distraction, but ok, I'd be concerned by Danny as he's not stuck at anything long enough to establish himself.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 20:00
Yes he is well travelled.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 21:58
Quote:
shipwrecked

Do I understand from that that your hernia operation was a success?

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 22:46
One of the biggest assets with Butch was that not only was he different gravy as a player, he bought in to Bath and it seemed to be more than just a job for him. That’s worth a small fortune in itself.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 23:12
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
shipwrecked

Very much so thank you, convalescence went well at Farleigh as well, excellent facilities but the sauna was heaving, getting Charlie to move over in the sauna was a nightmare!

Todd has asked me to practice throwing interception passes and Aled did a fantastic session on how to get carded for no reason yesterday.

P.S. Fred is doing another one next week on how to cross the line without scoring.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

10 January, 2019 08:34
Quote:
btry1
snap him up qucik

According to reports his deal runs to summer 2020 and he is keen to extend, he reputedly took a pay cut (downgrading early demands of a £400,000 salary at Wasps) when he moved to
Gloucester (Sm128)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

10 January, 2019 08:35
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
shipwrecked

Very much so thank you, convalescence went well at Farleigh as well, excellent facilities but the sauna was heaving, getting Charlie to move over in the sauna was a nightmare!

Todd has asked me to practice throwing interception passes and Aled did a fantastic session on how to get carded for no reason yesterday.

P.S. Fred is doing another one next week on how to cross the line without scoring.

Well done. Just don't be persuaded to let Charlie Ewels use you for punching practice.

And remember the Wincarnis.

SarrieSaint
SarrieSaint (IP Logged)

10 January, 2019 09:03
Quote:
BathMatt53
Isn’t that The Littlest Hobo?

"EVERY STOP I MAKE, I MAKE A NEW FRIEND. LITTLEST HOBO SIGNS FOR BATH. "

There's the Bath Chronicle headline sorted.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net