rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

Injury Updates 9th Jan
09 January, 2019 13:44

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Re: Injury Updates 9th Jan
09 January, 2019 14:24
In summary - still nowhere close to being the worst injury list we've had

Faletau and Willison - now available for selection

Injured:

JJ - another couple of weeks by the sound of it
Tom Ellis - 3-4 weeks
Underhill - another month
Ross Batty - 3-week ban
Watson - mid FeB
Obano, Garvey - season over

Not available for this w/e:

Charlie Ewels
McConnochie
Nathan Catt

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 15:50
Doesn't sound a lot of missing players but that is a virtual 1st choice scrum selection out.

Rokoholic
Rokoholic (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 16:02
Need to use the next 5 weeks to recuperate, rotate the squad and try at all costs to avoid any further injuries.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 20:46
JonnyF: Talupe, Dunn, Atters, Elliot S, Henry T and Francois would probably disagree with you. Also moi.

FLAP

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2019 21:01
You think that all of those should play in Euro dead rubbers and the little cup? TF will want to get back up to speed and into the welsh side I would guess.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

JFPC
JFPC (IP Logged)

10 January, 2019 07:51
Apologies, that's what an unattended child can do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2019 08:12 by JFPC.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

10 January, 2019 07:56
Quote:
BathMatt53
You think that all of those should play in Euro dead rubbers and the little cup? TF will want to get back up to speed and into the welsh side I would guess.

So we get TF fit for Wales in meaningless games so he can miss our vital PL games. Marvellous.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 January, 2019 08:20
Unfortunately thatís what you sign up for when you employ seasoned internationals OB - you knew this already. It happens every year to every club (Ben Tíeo is the obvious example). If you are lucky and a player is unlucky, you get an out of favour international quality player - like Cips or Armand - and then you have the best of both worlds!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 11:33
Bum. Much worse than reported in the chron.

[www.bathrugby.com]

- Sam Underhill has had surgery on his ankle and is expected to be out of action for up to three months.

- Tom Ellis sustained ligament damage to his elbow against Worcester Warriors and will miss the next six to eight weeks as he undergoes rehabilitation.

So notwithstanding the pain etc. the dodgy hit by the Worcs player on Ellis has cost him any 6N involvement that he may have had as well as with Bath for the next 8 weeks or so. Nice one.

Rokoholic
Rokoholic (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 11:54
Ban Fatialofa until Ellis comes back. Total cheap shot that was meant to cause him harm.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 12:31
This seems to be the year of 'quality' not 'quantity' on the injury front.

Faletau, Joseph, Watson, Obano, Underhill - long-term injuries to our best players.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 12:41
Oh great

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 12:43
Quote:
BathMatt53
So notwithstanding the pain etc. the dodgy hit by the Worcs player on Ellis has cost him any 6N involvement that he may have had as well as with Bath for the next 8 weeks or so. Nice one.

Has he not been sited? I fear that those injuries together with the loss against Worcester (caused by Brew being unfairly penalised) will now take away any hope of a rewarding end to the season. With those players away we are looking a fairly mediocre side at present in terms of quality.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 13:18
A back row of Faletau, Mercer, Louw looks decent enough. But Garvey, Ellis, Underhill is tidy too.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 14:05
But doesn't leave much room for further injuries though. I get the impression that the injuries we get seem to be more seious and take longer to heal....attrition issue again?

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Sadly injured for the rest of the season!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

BerkeleyWood
The Bear (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 14:12
Quote:
Rokoholic
Ban Fatialofa until Ellis comes back. Total cheap shot that was meant to cause him harm.

Is there any video of this incident?. Unfortunately I missed it.

But yeah, real.blow. Probably our two form back-rowers, especially Ellis. Bad news for Underhill's world cup prospects too, as he was making 7 his own.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 14:12
I thought Joe Coka the Singer was also injured.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 14:20
Quote:
The Bear
Quote:
Rokoholic

Is there any video of this incident?. Unfortunately I missed it.

But yeah, real.blow. Probably our two form back-rowers, especially Ellis. Bad news for Underhill's world cup prospects too, as he was making 7 his own.

Yes premiership rugby full match video about 18mins into the match.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 14:57
Quote:
FourSticks

Very good FS, damaged crochet in his knee.

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Sadly injured for the rest of the season!

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 15:01
Quote:
Bath Hammer
(caused by Brew being unfairly penalised)

Why unfairly? Wasn't he offside?
TBH I thought the ref was pretty lenient not awarding a penalty try. There may have been one guy covering but a try was almost certain.
Or, for that matter, a penalty try for the earlier string of penalties in the 5m scrum.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 15:22
Quote:
jayeatman
Quote:
Bath Hammer
(caused by Brew being unfairly penalised)

Why unfairly? Wasn't he offside?
TBH I thought the ref was pretty lenient not awarding a penalty try. There may have been one guy covering but a try was almost certain.
Or, for that matter, a penalty try for the earlier string of penalties in the 5m scrum.

Re offside, TMO didn't look at the offside and unclear.

Re Penalty try,

Quote:
joethefanatic 8th Jan - Match thread

As of this season, penalty tries may no longer be awarded for repeat offenses only for "acts of foul play probably preventing a try being scored". Tempest was correct in what he did. The Brew tackle might have qualified but the TMO had no wider shot to see if there was cover, so no pen try awarded. Again, correctly. We might not like the process or outcome but it was done by the book.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 15:31
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
FourSticks

Very good FS, damaged crochet in his knee.
He'll get by with a little bit of help from his friends

Sara'sman
Sara'sman (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 16:06
Slightly O/T but I read your board regularly and share your anger at Jones' record of training injuries to players whilst with England. I've read the PRISP report and made a couple of comments on our board on our Artificial Pitches thread. For some comments I've used Maths which may be hard to follow but one statistic that may interest you concerns the 4 lengthy training injuries last season. The likelihood of this number occurring "by chance" (due to natural variation) I've estimated at roughly 1 in 300 - extremely low. Evidence that Jones has serious questions to answer. (I think 2 were Bath players - Joseph and Obano, was Watson during a match?).

Montyuk
Montyuk (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 16:30
Underhill out for up to 3 months according to the Guardian.

Adopted player 2018/19: Max Clark

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 17:12
Quote:
shipwrecked

Re offside, TMO didn't look at the offside and unclear.

Re Penalty try,

As of this season, penalty tries may no longer be awarded for repeat offenses only for "acts of foul play probably preventing a try being scored". Tempest was correct in what he did. The Brew tackle might have qualified but the TMO had no wider shot to see if there was cover, so no pen try awarded. Again, correctly. We might not like the process or outcome but it was done by the book.

I assumed Brew was so far offside, the Ref had no need to check it with the TMO.

Seems crazy that you can give away penalty after penalty at a 5m scrum and not eventually have a penalty try awarded against you. Under normal circumstances, better a penalty try than get your whole front row binned.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 17:28
Quote:
Optimist
A back row of Faletau, Mercer, Louw looks decent enough. But Garvey, Ellis, Underhill is tidy too.

Yes, we are lucky to have them all but you cannot be successful if your quality, at least that which is fit, is largely restricted to the back row and, as has been said, the cover in that area is now getting a bit thin.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 17:37
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
Optimist

Yes, we are lucky to have them all but you cannot be successful if your quality, at least that which is fit, is largely restricted to the back row and, as has been said, the cover in that area is now getting a bit thin.

With Garvey, Ellis, Underhill all with long term injuries and Faletau with Wales we have real problems for our vital upcoming PL games.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

welsh wasp
welsh wasp (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 19:00
Re injuries in England training camps, Sam Jones was forced to retire & Tommy Taylor had some time out. I assume Other clubs than Bath & Wasps have also suffered.

OBinFiji
OBinFiji (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 21:47
Yeah real problems. We'll have to pick three from Mercer, Baylis, Grant, Douglas, maybe even give young Reid a game - all of whom, I believe, have previously played in the Premiership. You never know we might have to go, cap in hand, to see if Mercer G will play for us on a pergame basis. I suspect also that they'll want Faletau to play to get match fitness back whenever possible.
Is 3 months long enough for an injury cover for Underhill?

OBinFiji

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 23:34
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
Optimist

I think that our current second row is pretty special too tbh.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 20:14
Todd says that JJ is back next week!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 20:41
Maybe SW...if he can get through his sessions. Isnít that where he broke down again mid-dec? Fingers and toes crossed.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 20:50
I was a bit shocked when I read that TBH, I'd have thought he would have been eased back in but TB is usually pretty good on player welfare.

If he breaks down again I'd be seriously worried for him.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 21:20
He was running with the warm up today.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 21:45
Yep, he did a lot of the warm-up today. He can't be far off. Likely bench next week and a start the week after.

Having said that, Clarke and Wright did really well today and Willison showed some class from the bench. So JJ is, perhaps, looking a little surplus, although there's few better when he's fit and firing.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

13 January, 2019 00:40
I must admit I thought Clarke looked very rusty, making quite a few unforced errors. I couldnít understand how he got MOM.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net