rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

al Mossah
al Mossah (IP Logged)

The match-day experience
11 January, 2019 16:08
Whinging old git alert...

Watching Bath at the Rec (and beyond) has always had its ups and downs. But there has always been something special about the live experience. But…

There’s no doubt that things have improved; the quality of beer and pies is good; Bath Ales gives a real local feel to the day. The addition of the top tier over the changing rooms gives a lovely view. I think stewarding is better than it was, and toilet queues are shorter.

So with all this improvement, it’s a shame that the experience is ruined by 30 blokes running onto the pitch – sorry, I meant the noise from the PA. Back in the day we had a man with a lovely voice who announced teams, announced scorers (relishing his French pronunciation) and gently reminded us of the need not to smoke or stand in the gangways. And that was it. At half-time he'd read out birthday wishes, announce the mini-rugby teams and whatever else was happening. After a score there was the glorious sound of cheering, drumming of feet, clapping and nothing else. At half time we could stand and chat about life, the working week and home lives.

Now we have to contend with blaring music before the match, the screaming of the names of Bath players as the team is announced, more blaring music, and a half-time devoted to some mindless loud game with the crowd. Tries can no longer be discussed or analysed because some git has turned on the latest garage-grunge hip-hop. In many ways it is more pleasant watching at home; we don’t have to suffer the assault on the ears, and can discuss with each other on what has just happened without the need to bellow in each others’ ears.

So may I make a plea (from an old git, obvs) that we turn the noise down, dispense with the post-try music and lose the half-time roaring. And let the crowd choose when to make a noise. Who knows, maybe the crowd will get louder, making the Rec even more special.

Just some thoughts. COYB.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: The match-day experience
11 January, 2019 16:37
I would advise you not to watch any sport in the US of A!

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 16:51
Might be an idea not to go to any live sporting events from now on, the younger generation want to have fun so what you hate is going to continue. Personally the only thing that spoils the matchday experience is the performance of our team.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 17:02
I'm not sure the objection is to the concept but more to the execution of that concept!

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

Susanne
Susanne (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 17:29
Happy to join you being a whinging old git! I do miss Alistair.

Noise at the Leicester game reached intolerable levels when they were trying to get the stands to compete. We're in the back row of the East stand and I couldn't take part as I had my fingers in my ears as it was at a level that was painful - until it blew the speakers either side of us when it became bearable. Just hope they haven't fixed them ...

And surely that level of noise just gives fuel to the arguments of those against redevelopment - it's hardly being a good neighbour!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 17:53
"I would advise you not to watch any sport in the US of A!"

Good advice.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 18:23
My pet peeves on match day are :

The pointless filtering of the entire east terrace and the end of the open stand through a single corner exit at the end of the game when the other terrace exit is complete empty.

The positioning of the big screen so that virtually nobody other than the ref can see what's going on. Appreciate there are planning regs but can't it just be hoisted up for the game and then put back again for the other 742 hours in the month.

The removal of the portable loos behind the terrace. Its now back to the bun fight to get into the club house basement, assuming of course you can get to the clubhouse with the players, physios, and assorted hanger owners coming to and from the pitch.

The completely empty 'collect by app' bar when all the other bars are rammed and there's no wifi or 4G data.

On the up side the sausage rolls are now Chorizo free and mighty fine with it.(Sm152)

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 18:49
I think the point of the original post is that when people are told to enjoy themselves, most people don't. It is like the best nights out in my opinion, the ones that take the most organisation often aren't as good as those spontaneous 'let's have a cheeky pint' nights.

It is the sport that counts and if it is a poor game, for whatever reason, then so be it, I accept it and no amount of loudspeaker effort will change the fun, just make it worse.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 18:58
Quote:
Susanne
I do miss Alistair.

+1

Sort of a Dimbleby / Attenborough voice that made you want to listen. Yes, I am an old git too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2019 18:59 by B4thB4ck.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 21:26
Susanne + 1 from me.
In fact the nugget is in the last two sentences of Al M’s original post.
A pavolivian bark is just dross.

HOP

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2019 23:31
Welcome to 2019. It will continue and lots (most?) don’t object so let just get on with watching the rugby?

sid the seagull

11 January, 2019 23:40
Hmm, not objecting.
Well there’s a point of view . . .

P

sid the seagull

11 January, 2019 23:43
THETIC

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 06:37
The man on the mic at Wuss last week made me smile when he stated with a hint of irony before the game kicked off that Wuss were unbeaten in 2019. The man at the rec gets right on my nerves...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 08:26
Unfortunately there are too many people that join in than don’t which means it will continue.

I don’t mind the stuff mid game as to be honest the Rev can be like a morgue at times and at least it does up the noise (albeit briefly).

I really don’t like the half time stuff, see who makes the most noise etc, just annoying!

The things that do annoy is the tie in with Bath Ales..... Love my Thatchers Gold, but when fancy a change really don’t like the taste of what’s on offer, but hey just means that I save my money.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 08:43
I have to say that rather than the half time tomfoolery I do love it when the kids from local clubs play on the pitch at half time. Not only is the rugby frequently better then the main event but the look of excitement and enjoyment on their faces is fantastic (and their parents watching from the stands). But then I’m an old softie for that sort of thing.

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 09:12
Quote:
BathMatt53
I have to say that rather than the half time tomfoolery I do love it when the kids from local clubs play on the pitch at half time. Not only is the rugby frequently better then the main event but the look of excitement and enjoyment on their faces is fantastic (and their parents watching from the stands). But then I’m an old softie for that sort of thing.

I love that side of it and have been the parent watching..... just not the “who can make the loudest noise” game!

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 09:39
It the loudest stand thing is probably the way someone has come up with to get the atmosphere going. But at someone who from an early age has been indoctrinated by my Dad in the school of fair play, it really is annoying - the stands are so different in size and some have a roof males it so pointless as a contest. Guess what - the biggest stand won last time when they orchestrated it and when it was just during the build up and it wasn’t announced the biggest one with a roof won. Well there’s a surprise.
Being entered into a competition you have no chance of winning is about as annoying as being consulted on an issue and then totally ignored.

Oh and rant number 2 closing the exits on the terracing creates a hazard rather than avoiding one. People can and do get trampled on in the rush to leave especially when Bath have lost! If they are not going to win all their games this needs to be addressed. Allow people to exit and then follow a one way system out of the ground in the direction that does not cross the exit from the pitch - Simples!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 10:30
It can be like a morgue with no atmosphere at times & does need music & someone to get things going. It would be better if we created an atmosphere ourselves but we generally don’t. I still think we could do with a song, not something utterly tedious like the Exeter war chant, but something that the crowd can get to know & join in when they wish, not to order. Maybe there should be a competition & try a few out.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 11:09
Quote:
Bath Hammer
It can be like a morgue with no atmosphere at times & does need music & someone to get things going. It would be better if we created an atmosphere ourselves but we generally don’t. I still think we could do with a song, not something utterly tedious like the Exeter war chant, but something that the crowd can get to know & join in when they wish, not to order. Maybe there should be a competition & try a few out.

Please no, it’s doomed to failure these things have to happen empirically or not at all. Come on you Bath is about the only thing that goes at the moment. You just can’t force it to happen.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 11:09
One of the reasons I gave up my season ticket was because of amateurish bullying noise emanating from the announcer and his appalling choice of musack. I can only assume that this racket is not relayed to the corporate boxes and out of earshot of Messrs Craig and Dyson.

But its water of a ducks back complaining - as I know of many around me, and other supporters encountered on different occasions, who found this irritating to say the least. I was in the West Stand and sort of understood that the deafening shouting and musack was probably for the benefit of the uncovered stands where the souind from the speakers was dissipated, but it was the tone- as if we were thousands of moronic lemmings just standing there for the benefit of the chap with the mike.

The only positive thing I can say is that at least we aren't Wasps supporters who endure the loud buzzing noise astheir teamruns out etc., thus imitating the said insects outside one of their nests.

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 12:23
All together now...

"Where it began, I can't begin to knowing, but then I know it's growing strong...."

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 12:28
If Neil Diamond becomes the adopted song at the Rec I might seriously consider getting a Tiger costume....

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

badger1664
badger1664 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 12:42
I can certainly empathise with this thread . What bites my banger and it seems to happen at all stadiums and games is that bloody piccolo trumpet that tries to get everyone to scream Ole I am trying to watch the match if you dont mind . Almost as pointless and annoying as Mexican waves . No place in rugby for either blah blah blah .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 12:44 by badger1664.

al Mossah
al Mossah (IP Logged)

12 January, 2019 13:17
Quote:
Bath Hammer
It can be like a morgue with no atmosphere at times & does need music & someone to get things going. .

Totally disagree; it doesn't. It can actually suppress what little noise there is, as happened during the Leinster game just after Henry Thomas's 50m break.

But we have at least lost the stupid trumpet, so progress is being made.

Yes, i'd like there to be more crowd noise, but in its absence would we rather be known as a quiet discerning informed crowd, or a crowd which needs music to fill in silences? Let's stop it all and let events take their course. At one stage during the Tigers game chants of COYB could be heard from at least 3 stands. No PA needed.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

13 January, 2019 22:32
So where do you want to be

a) sensible, refrained intelligent discussion with person sat next to you whilst enjoying quietly oberving the game in front of you

Or

b) completely immersed in the competitive atmosphere, being a part of the action on the field by individually and collectively encouraging your team and feeling like the 16th player

You buy the ticket so whats your choice and which one will best help the players and coaches to be the club you want?

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 07:58
I don't think a is what the grumpy gits, myself included, are asking for.

I'd quite like to sit around people who get into the game and make some noise. What I don't want is a guy trying to create that atmosphere when it doesn't exist. Take Saturday for example, he was attempting to get us singing sweet Caroline, shouting things such as "you're singing great Thatcher's stand". No we didn't and we knew it, not least because most of us weren't singing. That just makes me feel really uncomfortable: both being encouraged to do something I don't really want to do AND to be collectively patronised. That's just an example, but this kind of awkwardness seems to pervade all these attempts to get us going.

There are a small number of people who can get a stand like that singing in comfort, sadly I don't think he's one of them. I say sadly as it's not through lack of effort and it's a rare skill. It might be that the acoustics at the rec just are prohibitive.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 08:23
It’s not a question of acoustics. It is clear from this thread that virtually no-one likes being coerced into singing. It would be interesting to hear from some of the players. I would have thought that hearing the crowd is audibly behind them makes a difference but maybe not. In the end that is all that matters.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 08:30
Let's face it there's absolutely no entertainment on the pitch so the club are trying to create an atmosphere of fun. Sadly the grump library that is the Rec isn't interested. It's no wonder there are so few young people consistently coming to matches.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 08:43
The reason I would make a lot of noise at a sporting event is because I would have become involved in the game, concentrating on events on the pitch. The group noise is made from 14k individuals all seeing the same thing and individually shouting about it, not because they are told to do it.

Somebody with a microphone shouting at me to do something would probably have the opposite effect, I would go quiet.

The only exception to this would be just before the start of each half when something to rouse spectators is fine.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 08:44
I think Bath Hammer has hit the nail on the head - a lot of people around me feel uncomfortable with the exhortation to sing/cheer. The same people are really passionate when we look like scoring/our line is threatened/there is outrage at a refereeing decision...etc.

When a player on the pitch gestures for vocal support, he gets a response.

It seems that for these people, some encouragement pre- match may work, encouragement from players would work, but actually in the course of a match, encouragement over the tannoy does not.

The club believe that there are more who welcome this kind of cheerleading than who dislike it. All season ticket holders get a "You speak, we listen" email asking for feedback on match experience - if COML members feel strongly either way that is a medium for giving your view to the club.

PG

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 10:13
In response to PG Tips apologist moderator contribujtion = We have done.
Over several seasons.
With no noticeable difference in volume, or inappropriate intervention - let alone being shouted at pre-match. One might be supporting any sporting team as the chap's content has no particular Bath Rugby identity or flavour, no lightness of touch nor humour.

The 'Club', whoever that might be, have decided that is the tone they wish to set at matches at the Rec. End of.

PS. I have currently been to other Premiership clubs' homegrounds without being assailed and bawled out, with lots of supportive noise, atmosphere and enjoyment of the game itself. They might have irritating (to a Bath supporter) chants or drum beats, but at least they are relevant.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 10:24
Towards the end of the recent Tigers home match a spontaneous [?] COYB chant sprang up around the Rec cheering the team on to a good win. As others have posted above, what happens on the pitch determines the involvement and reaction of the crowd. Given some of our 2018 performances a "stunned silence" was inevitable. My match day experience is shaped primarily by the performance of the team, which has on occasion ruined my weekend, other factors include that infernal horn thing and the man on the mic both of which have made a bad experience worse. I won't have endure to much more of either given the few home games we have left this season and if we don't make the Top 6 it will be a poorer match day in the ECC next season...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 10:25
I think the announcer must have read the OP as I made a comment to my mates that he was not so intrusive on Saturday as before!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Frome Lurkers
Frome Lurkers (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 12:05
I noted that as well CC. But can anyone explain why we have to have such a dated sound as Sweet Caroline to get an experience. at least We Will Rock You has some feeling.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 12:09
Quote:
Frome Lurkers
I noted that as well CC. But can anyone explain why we have to have such a dated sound as Sweet Caroline to get an experience. at least We Will Rock You has some feeling.

Try watching clips on YouTube from some other stadiums that play Sweet Caroline (Penn State springs to mind) and you'll see how it's used to get the crowd going.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 12:10
This might be the reason:

Best Karaoke Songs for Men

Sweet Caroline – Neil Diamond.
Don't Stop Believin' – Journey.
Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen.
Wonderwall – Oasis.
My Way – Frank Sinatra.
I Wanna Be Sedated – the Ramones.
Losing My Religion – R.E.M.
Never Gonna Give You Up – Rick Astley.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 12:34
Please don't let them choose The Ramones song. Sedation is the last thing we need!!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 12:40
Quote:
hemington
Please don't let them choose The Ramones song. Sedation is the last thing we need!!

Brill I love it, (Sm152) (Sm152)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 12:49
How about Barbra Streisand 'Rain on my parade'? Now, watching the 14k strong rec crowd acting that one out would be a sight to behold...

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 13:06
[quote annie blackthorn]In response to PG Tips apologist moderator contribujtion = We have done.

Annie

I take exception to that.
My post was in no way apologist.
Nothing I wrote suggests approval.

I merely pointed out the club's claim that the man on the mic has more supporters than detractors - and that responding to the match experience survey emails is a medium for letting the club know your views.

PG

Colonel1960
Colonel1960 (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 13:18
Quote:
shipwrecked
This might be the reason:
Best Karaoke Songs for Men

Sweet Caroline – Neil Diamond.
Don't Stop Believin' – Journey.
Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen.
Wonderwall – Oasis.
My Way – Frank Sinatra.
I Wanna Be Sedated – the Ramones.
Losing My Religion – R.E.M.
Never Gonna Give You Up – Rick Astley.

Up on the roof - Drifters... Oh ah, never mind :-/

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

14 January, 2019 13:24
"I'm still waiting" (Sm128)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

15 January, 2019 08:51
I think "Losing My Religion" pretty much nails it...

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Deckchair
Deckchair (IP Logged)

16 January, 2019 09:42
Bath out of Hell.
Wrecking Ball
I get a kick out of you.
Drop it like its hot
Can't stand to lose
Running on Empty

So many songs, too few tenors

ligger
ligger (IP Logged)

16 January, 2019 15:59
Ooops I dropped it again

al Mossah
al Mossah (IP Logged)

17 January, 2019 07:33
Quote:
gaz59
So where do you want to be
a) sensible, refrained intelligent discussion with person sat next to you whilst enjoying quietly oberving the game in front of you

Or

b) completely immersed in the competitive atmosphere, being a part of the action on the field by individually and collectively encouraging your team and feeling like the 16th player

You buy the ticket so whats your choice and which one will best help the players and coaches to be the club you want?

Ideally both. I shout myself hoarse at exciting games , and make loud and possibly inappropriate interventions at all games. I love to have the problem of having to shout above the crowd noise. But not above the PA system.

I watched the Wasps game on TV, so can't comment on intrusiveness at the ground, but at half time it certainly intruded over the pundits. I'm ok with that, but pity the loyal supporters who can't turn it down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net