rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

England side up
08 February, 2019 10:42
Not sure what Nowell did wrong, but I guess Ashton's eye for a finish could be the difference. Also feels like Cole and Moon are more 'starters' than 'finishers'. likewise Launchbury/Lawes.

15 Elliot Daly (Wasps, 26 caps), 14 Chris Ashton (Sale Sharks, 43 caps), 13 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 18 caps), 12 Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 28 caps), 11 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 41 caps), 10 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 66 caps) (c), 9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 81 caps), 1 Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 52 caps), 2 Jamie George (Saracens, 33 caps), 3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 18 caps), 4 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 69 caps), 5 George Kruis (Saracens, 28 caps), 6 Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 9 caps), 7 Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 6 caps), 8 Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 37 caps).

Finishers (249 caps)
16 Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 8 caps), 17 Ben Moon (Exeter Chiefs, 4 caps), 18 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 82 caps), 19 Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 54 caps), 20 Nathan Hughes (Wasps, 19 caps), 21 Dan Robson (Wasps, uncapped), 22 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 52 caps), 23 Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 30 caps).

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

Re: England side up
08 February, 2019 10:53
I think the extra gas of the French wings means Nowell moves to the bench. Ashton also likes scoring against French players. Hughes and Cowan-Dickie are still the worries for me with the World Cup in mind. Are they good enough to be called upon for 79 minutes against New Zealand?

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 10:59
I don't like Ashton but he is a big game player who sniffs tries and I am happy he is in the squad (might need to edit this after the game if he doesn't defend well).

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 11:01
Also French are notoriously not as fit as the rest of 6N teams (their style of play is more stop go and therefore the ball is in play less so I have been led to believe). Wear them out then bring on our lumps to maintain dominance in set piece and our backs can run round them as they tire.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 11:04
Would have preferred to see Launchbury's bulk starting against the big Fr pack rather than Lawes.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 11:07
Quote:
cb2
Are they good enough to be called upon for 79 minutes against New Zealand?

The 6N prior to a WC is the time to find out IMO (or earlier of course).

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 11:08 by BathMatt53.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 11:33
Will England take 3 hookers to the World Cup? In many ways it's fortunate that Hartley is injured. It means a third hooker gets some experience, while Hartley can concentrate on getting his body right for a month in the autumn. He's not going to become a better or worse player, or benefit from additional experience in the mean time. Same with Brown, Cole, Robshaw. If they're needed, they will be fine. If they are not needed it's because their younger pretenders have proven themselves.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 11:52
In order to win this 6N we need to win in Cardiff maintaining the physicality over 3 games will be difficult but it looks like EJ is going to try to keep the major players in the side in preparation for the RWC.

This side should beat France, I just hope we come out of it with enough physical firepower and few injuries so that we can go to Cardiff and ruin Gatland's party.

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Sadly injured for the rest of the season!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 11:55
I think you might have to take 3, if one of them is Hartley.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 11:58
We have a 2-week break before Wales, so we should be in good shape for that game. It's almost a Grand Slam game, with Italy and Scotland at home to follow.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 12:46
Looking at the French team its hard to understand their thinking, they had a set of backs that worked in the first half so they change the key players.

Then they put Yoann Huget, "master of the rolling ball" at full back. Bastareaud v Manu should be fun!

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Sadly injured for the rest of the season!

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 12:49
Quote:
Optimist
We have a 2-week break before Wales, so we should be in good shape for that game. It's almost a Grand Slam game, with Italy and Scotland at home to follow.

Careful opti counting chickens and all that - we haven't beaten the French yet. You'll have everyone calling you arrogant English before too long

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 13:11
Quote:
hemington
Quote:
Optimist

Careful opti counting chickens and all that - we haven't beaten the French yet. You'll have everyone calling you arrogant English before too long

Yes - true, I can see that. But reducing it to pure 'what do the bookies think' terms suggests that we will beat France, Italy and Scotland at home. if we don't win each of these 3 games, then last week will have proven to be a real false dawn.

It does feel to me, though, that Eddie did have a plan all along - in terms of a style he was working towards based on the players he (should) have; in terms of their fitness; in terms of having some very experienced players who he can fall back on should the younger deputies prove inadequate, and in terms of having test-proven options in every position.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 13:18
My Occam's razor doesn't like this theory, but I do wonder if last year he was deliberately over-beasting them so that they would be more prepared for what the World Cup will be like.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 13:28
I guess it will be the classic sporting post-rationalisation where everything will be written by the end result.

Win the World Cup (or contest a close final) and the journalists will write about Eddie's amazing plan, including his incredible foresight of 'beasting the players 2 years in advance to prepare them'. Stuff up against France or Argentina in the group, lose in the Q-F and everyone will write about Eddie's ridiculously over-the-top beastings.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 14:10
There are a lot of ways to skin a cat and strange things happen at World Cups. We had perfect prep for 2003 and nearly lost the final to a poor side, and we had terrible prep for 2007 and nearly beat a good side in the final. I also worry that B Vunipola and Farrell are so key to all we try to do on the pitch.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 17:06
Quote:
cb2
There are a lot of ways to skin a cat and strange things happen at World Cups. We had perfect prep for 2003 and nearly lost the final to a poor side, and we had terrible prep for 2007 and nearly beat a good side in the final. I also worry that B Vunipola and Farrell are so key to all we try to do on the pitch.

2003 final is a fascinating example. Especially with all the stuff with that ref.

I fear the same about Farrel and Billy. If Farrell gets injured then Cipriani has to be first choice 10. Ford is not the answer without Farrell outside him.

sirtidychris
sirtidychris (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 17:29
Nice see that Eddie in interviews and in team selection is just focussing on England and not picking a team to play the opposition, let the opposition pick a team to play us

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 19:58
I think Ford would be fantastic slotted into the current side. Front-foot ball, playing with confidence, The rest of those backs would absolutely love to have George putting them into holes.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 20:10
The thing about 2003 is remember how important Richard Hill was and how the team nearly fell apart when he was injured mid-tournament

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 22:19
Interesting that Bristol travelled to Pennyhill Park for a session with England. Apparently it was a full contact session where Bristol exposed some deficiencies in the England break down.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2019 22:28
Quote:
Optimist
I think Ford would be fantastic slotted into the current side. Front-foot ball, playing with confidence, The rest of those backs would absolutely love to have George putting them into holes.

Maybe but Faz has been fizzing out enough great passes of late and offers much more in other areas when things not so quite dominant up front that Ford will only get a look in if OF injured

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net