rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Bath85
Bath85 (IP Logged)

Looking to Newcastle
11 February, 2019 09:40
So the premiership is back this weekend, thank god, and these next few games will decided if we are going to make the playoffs, a big if. But i am optimistic, Bolstered by injury returns and fresh on the back of drumming Gloucester albeit in a dead rubber i think we could go well in these weeks, and im going to stick my neck out and say make the playoffs.

So this brings me to the team selection for this weekend; (if faletau is fit) i would go with;

Catt
Dunn
Thomas
Attwood
Stooke
Faletau (the back three can all play 6/7/8 so this is not a strict number position)
Louw
Mercer
Chudley
Burns
Cokanasinga
Roberts
Joseph
Rocco
McConnochie (have been really impressed with this guy under high ball and pace/lines going forward)

VR
Walker
Perenise
Ewels
Baylis
Kahn
Priestland
Vuna

Interestingly i think Watson and Obano are both close to being involved, last time it was reported, if these two are back soon, we are looking very close to full strength (bar back row with underhill ellis and garvey out, although this is one are we are spoilt for choice)

There are also a few players looking at the RWC, and will want to be on that plane, so i expect big performance on the field over the next few months..

Underhill/Watson/Obano when back
Stooke/Ewels/Mercer/Faletau/Big Joe/Joseph

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Re: Looking to Newcastle
11 February, 2019 09:50
If that 15/23 makes the pitch, then there is literally no excuse for failing to come away with a bonus point. Not sure I share your optimism on Watson/Obano, but I agree with everyone of your picks.

I don't think this w/e decides whether we make the play-offs, but it definitely decides whether we can be part of the top six mix.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

11 February, 2019 10:12
Yes, a fascinating scenario. We have ambitions to hit the top 6, 0r even 4, and Newcastle fighting for survival.
We had a convincing score-line win against Gloucester but, in my opinion, we lacked a bit of sharpness and needed that match to blow away some cobwebs.
Newcastle had a good first half last weekend but then fell away dramatically in the second.
I,m not too sure that long lay-offs are good for a team so maybe Newcastle will benefit from the extra match albeit that they were well beaten.

So looking forward to the match and a good game with a good result.
I'll leave team selection to those in the know!

sirtidychris
sirtidychris (IP Logged)

11 February, 2019 10:23
Good team on paper, also we have some momentum from recent games, however we have struggled to beat bottom of the table sides over the past two seasons, its very frustrating ! if we have to win this game !!

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

11 February, 2019 10:46
Walker and Priestland to start for me, and then Green Instead of Khan on the bench.

Bath Supporter Jack

11 February, 2019 10:53
I agree with the selection by Bath85 but would have Cook on the bench instead of Kahn......and I while I really like Super Cooper Vuna when he comes on and adds dynamism I think Tom Homer looked really sharp and inventive when he played against, albeit a second team, Gloucester.

So I can't make my mind up!!

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

11 February, 2019 10:57
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
I agree with the selection by Bath85 but would have Cook on the bench instead of Kahn......and I while I really like Super Cooper Vuna when he comes on and adds dynamism I think Tom Homer looked really sharp and inventive when he played against, albeit a second team, Gloucester.
So I can't make my mind up!!

Same.... I was 50/50 with both Homer and Cook, good position to be in though.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

11 February, 2019 10:57
The next 4 Prem games are a hell of a lot more winnable than our last 5, so need to start picking up wins after throwing away the Worcester game.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

11 February, 2019 20:05
Just watched the replay of Saints v Falcons P Cup - 14 tries between them, but Saints won 9 tries to 5!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2019 20:09 by Mike the Taxi.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 10:51
Whatever team is put out they must be switched on from start to finish - the Falcons are raptly becoming our bogey team and recently have the rub on us. It maybe like most flair sides we drift in and out of the game - the Falcons never give in and will keep playing unti, that final whistle as was showed last season at the Rec.

wI'll be interesting to see which game plan we go with and thus which fly half starts - my guess is Priestland given he was the most recent starter and we need consistency however my heart so wants Freddie to play as he will be at the club next year....however you would expect Falcons to start if fit with Flood, who is a more conservative player and more akin to Priestland.

Some interesting selection calls to be had...

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 12:54
Itís impossible to know what to expect from Bath regardless of the team they put out especially against a team like Newcastle which we all suspect is far better than the table suggests. It will be great if & when we get to the stage of being pretty confident of a win at least at home.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 13:58
I am being pretty confident of a win at least at home BH. I know that they are decent team but they are:

- ravaged by injuries;
- away from home;
- bottom of the table; and
- off the back of some stuffings.

We are:

- relatively free from injuries and call ups
- at home
- about mid-table
- off the back of some decent performances.

Yes, I know counting chickens, speaking too soon, beware the wounded animal, pride comes before a fall etc etc. but if we aren't confident about this one we never would be. Away in the north east against an in-form and fit Newcastle team then I grant you I would be feeling apprehensive.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 14:07
Yeah, overconfidence has been our killer before, but we have to be targeting 5 points from this.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 14:19
Quote:
hasta
..... we have to be targeting 5 points from this.

Yes, but I just wish you wouldn't say that out loud!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 15:18
I'll take a win. We've seen far too often how having the stronger team on paper means nothing.

I just want us switched on from the start, play with INTENSITY. Don't sleep walk through the first half. Maybe they need to pretend they're playing Sarries or Leinster, that tends to up the performance.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 16:23
Quote:
hasta
Yeah, overconfidence has been our killer before, but we have to be targeting 5 points from this.

Falcons will view this fixture as one of their easier away games so will also be confident of a win. We underestimated them last season and look what happened.

Personally I'd take a 3-0 win.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 16:25
Last season they were flying. They are a totally different team this year (as are we in terms of injuries).

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 16:39
Quote:
BathMatt53
Last season they were flying. They are a totally different team this year (as are we in terms of injuries).

And yet they still beat us at Kingston Park a few months ago. A game where we didn't even get a LBP.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 17:14
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
BathMatt53

And yet they still beat us at Kingston Park a few months ago. A game where we didn't even get a LBP.

Come on Eeeyore. It was away (Newcastle have always had a good home record) and we had more injuries. Just try and look on the positive side sometimes - it won't kill you.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 17:55
Quote:
hemington
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
BathMatt53

Come on Eeeyore. It was away (Newcastle have always had a good home record) and we had more injuries. Just try and look on the positive side sometimes - it won't kill you.

The away fixture is on a plastic pitch we never play well on that surface. At home we should at least not start with that disadvantage.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 17:56
Quote:
hemington
Come on Eeeyore.

That might well stick! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 18:00
To be fair if you read his 2nd post Ballsout is saying we need to take to the pitch with the right mindset.

We can expect to win but the players cannot until the final whistle. He is right.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 18:05
Fair comment, no-one doubts BO's rugby comments, well informed but even he would recognise he has a a bit of a grey outlook on recent club activity.

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Chance to shine in 18/19 with AW's injury!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

Westwardbound
Westwardbound (IP Logged)

12 February, 2019 19:08
At home against us in the Premiership I thought Newcastle looked a much better team than their league position suggested - though we were abysmal. I'm expecting an improved performance, a competitive game and a narrow win.

Bath85
Bath85 (IP Logged)

13 February, 2019 08:06
Basis the Faletau prognosis, and with Baylis looking unlikely i reckon he will go with;

4.Attwood
5.Ewels
6.Stooke (played there last game, and TB was impressed apparently)
7.Louw
8.Mercer

With Douglas and Charteris/grant on the bench.

Still a very strong set of forwards.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net