rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

Bath Rugby Captain Next Season
13 May, 2019 16:28
Experienced, hard as nails, motivating, respected by all and first name on the team sheet?
Who out of the squad that is the new coaching team gets to choose?
Is it a committee decision or does Stuart Hooper get the casting vote?

It's a tricky one because no name at the moment jumps out at you.

How about Ewells or perhaps Stooke?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Bath Rugby Captain Next Season
13 May, 2019 17:02
Stooke for me - especially since with DA leaving you would expect him to play. Zach a close 2nd.

I would guess at Chudley though.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 17:18
Brucie, if it doesn't interfere with his coaching duties.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 17:30
Quote:
Rawce

Well, it made me laugh

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 17:33
Quote:
Rawce

Isn't he water boy as well?

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 18:45
Stooke would get my vote.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 19:07
Quote:
joethefanatic
Stooke would get my vote.

Mine too...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Dave248
Dave248 (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 19:15
Captain has to be nailed on starter for me. Would have Louw again but Ellis, Mercer and Underhill will be ahead of him. Think it will be Ewellsy to be honest.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 19:28
Stuart Hooper (Sm100)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 19:46
Charlie Ewels for me.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 19:59
Ewels for me.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 20:25
Quote:
Dave248
Captain has to be nailed on starter for me. Would have Louw again but Ellis, Mercer and Underhill will be ahead of him. Think it will be Ewellsy to be honest.

If so, we're going to need a roster of match day captains to allow for breakages. I was thinking more of club captain but someone who is much more "hands on" on a match day than that position usually is. Perhaps send him on as a waterboy to emotionally rally the troops at each break in play. We already have all manner of coach waterboys for the tactical stuff.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 20:48
It'll be ewellsy - bath through and through

terracehugger
terracehugger (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 21:46
Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?
We obviously have no obvious leaders as this season has well and truly proved!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 21:50
I agree he doesn't have to stay every game, but can be at least be first choice in his position and likely to start most games.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 21:59
Quote:
terracehugger
Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?
We obviously have no obvious leaders as this season has well and truly proved!

Whenever Bath were under the posts next to the terrace it was Stooke who was screaming at the players whilst other ‘leaders’ were watching on (including Hoops the water boy). Having said that, not sure who in the team would be best at convincing Refs to change their minds...

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

wilshd
wilshd (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 22:27
Stooke, Louw, Catt for me.

Will probably be a mix of Ewels, Chudley and Priestland though.

Anyone else suspect Stooke has been carrying an injury for last month or so? Suddenly dropped behind Ewels in pecking order for no particular reason having done a v honourable job on flank.

On another note - we have looked quite lightweight in scrum in recent weeks when Attwood has come off. Am worried we will miss his grunt behind front three.

by
by (IP Logged)

13 May, 2019 22:40
Chudley or Ewels.

Stooke and Ewels should make a very good pairing in the row together. I do wonder how McNally gets on though.

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 00:10
It really worries me that our captain for the last few seasons, and inevitably the next, is not a nailed on starter. I get injuries but not even guaranteed a starting spot.

It'll be Garvs or Ewels with Chudley as vice-captain. Anything else would be an unnecessary disruption.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 09:23
On his recent form Ewels IS a nailed on starter and has most often been captain when he has played.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 09:57
Gawd noes.
(Sm11)

bardofavon
bardofavon (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 11:14
i have never seen mcnally play but by all accounts he is very good. he has also been an excellent captain for exiles. might he not come into the frame as a potential bath captain next season?

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 11:39
It was always going to be Ewels.
With Attwood and Charteris moving on, he's a nailed on starter too.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 12:00
I think we talk at cross purposes sometimes. The club talks about a figurehead captain, we talk about a leader on the pitch mid game when we are under pressure and need a lift.

It is obvious which is more important and if a new arrival adds to the on pitch morale then that's fine, he doesn't necessarily need the tag that goes with it.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 13:33
A team of leaders would be nice

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 15:50
(IMHO of course) It is so important to get this right.
For an on-field captain -

It takes a rugby mind to read how the ref runs the game and make adaptations to that.
It takes someone who can communicate with the ref constantly and communicate what is agreed to the players.
It needs a player able to reinterpret plan A if that is not working.
It requires a player with the total trespect of the whole squad.
It needs a player who will give his absolute all for the sake of the club.

.......and finally it needs a player of endurable fitness who doesn't get injured !
Sounds simple!

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

19 May, 2019 18:38
A team of leaders - as BO suggests- is needed.

Personally I would opt for Zach Mercer - for his enthusiasm attitude and (yes) youth. If a 21 year old can play as he does there is no excuse for old hands not to follow his example.

PG

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

19 May, 2019 18:51
Quote:
P G Tips
A team of leaders - as BO suggests- is needed.
Personally I would opt for Zach Mercer - for his enthusiasm attitude and (yes) youth. If a 21 year old can play as he does there is no excuse for old hands not to follow his example.

PG

Agree with Zach, said it elsewhere, he has no skeletons or demons, when we sign Rhys Webb ZM can do the forwards and RW the backs.

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Sadly injured for the rest of the season!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 May, 2019 21:20
ZM seems to either be on fire or having what would be charitably called an off day. To be honest, the time we need leadership is when your players are having an off day.

I'm not so sure about the leadership team thing. Sure having experienced input from across the team is a real benefit, but when it comes to it you need direction from a single source. Often two people giving even sightly different messages it's the opposite of leadership. It's not what I'm talking about, but if nothing else Lipman and crocket... Didn't end well.

There also seems to be a trend to associate "shouting under the posts" with leadership.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

19 May, 2019 22:00
Dunno the answer but feel it is not ZM. Still too young hasn’t paid his dues and has the teeniest bit of the showboater, he’ll learn and may well be captain some day.
Willshd your question, think it is less about DA’s absence, more that of late due to injuries our front row (with the exception of Dunn) has not really been Prem quality.

HOP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/05/2019 22:03 by sid the seagull.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

20 May, 2019 06:35
The one being groomed is no doubt Ewels, our Ritchie Macall, but he must do a lot of unseen work because I never notice him. That sounds harsh but doesn’t a captain need to have a higher profile in some way?

OBinFiji
OBinFiji (IP Logged)

20 May, 2019 06:42
BH, he was listed as top No 4 this weekend - according to Rugby PASS. Dunno what game you were watching.

OBinfiji

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

20 May, 2019 07:55
Quote:
OBinFiji
BH, he was listed as top No 4 this weekend - according to Rugby PASS. Dunno what game you were watching.
OBinfiji

I only watched the highlights but wasn’t just talking about this game.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

20 May, 2019 10:23
How about Dunn as an outside bet? Local, regular starter,
wasn't always a 2 so should have a wider appreciation for the game, can't speak of his leadership qualities but then I am not sure anyone can unless part of the team.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

20 May, 2019 22:46
Quote:
Bath Hammer
The one being groomed is no doubt Ewels, our Ritchie Macall, but he must do a lot of unseen work because I never notice him. That sounds harsh but doesn’t a captain need to have a higher profile in some way?

Someone must have been leading the team when we won the last two games in the dying minutes.

Who opted to kick for the corner for the fourth try against Wasps?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

21 May, 2019 05:46
‘Who opted to kick for the corner for the fourth try against Wasps?’

Very much proof that it’s the execution that matters more than the decision (see Robshaw et al passim).

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

21 May, 2019 06:02
Quote:
Optimist
‘Who opted to kick for the corner for the fourth try against Wasps?’
Very much proof that it’s the execution that matters more than the decision (see Robshaw et al passim).

Couldn't agree more. I know quite a few leaders in schools who know what is the right decision but implementation of key actions and motivation of others to follow is shocking

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

21 May, 2019 06:34
6am posting. Do you always awake at this hour gaz, or a bit of oldmanitis like me?

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

21 May, 2019 08:36
Also - on Saturday, the decision to kick for posts just before half time and about 15 minutes from the end proved to be correct. I’d have gone to the corner for both, which is why I’m not Bath captain!

Of course, as you say Opti, execution trumps decision, be it a kick for goal or a line out drive. But the captain deserves credit when it works - just as he deserves to be slated when it doesn’t. Ewels has been excellent in the last two games, perhaps growing a little more into his “Johnno” nickname.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

21 May, 2019 10:10
That's where I disagree dr.bath - if it doesn't work, the captain doesn't deserve to be slated (unless it's a blatantly ridiculous decision - which is practically never).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net