Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Number 10
Discussion started by terracehugger (IP Logged), 13 May, 2019 21:42
terracehugger
terracehugger
13 May, 2019 21:42
Pollard to Montpellier.
Quade Cooper to Quins.
Guess who weíve ended up with!!

Speaks volumes about the perceived status of our club.

sirtidychris
sirtidychris
13 May, 2019 21:50
Montpellier is a beautiful sunny city full of saffas and I would prefer burns and preistland over cooper, whatever mercurial talents he has wouldnt want him in the blue, black and white. Would take Marcus Smith though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/05/2019 21:50 by sirtidychris.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
13 May, 2019 21:55
Bit closer to SA, better weather, loads of S.A.s there and no doubt enough cash to choke a donkey. Itís not like he joined any other clubs a lot better than Montpellier so donít really think it says much about Bath tbh.

[Adoptee 18/19: Man Mountain Dave Attwood, back in the BB&W and ready to smash]

MESSAGES->author
Coalminer
13 May, 2019 22:33
I donít think Cooper would have been much of an upgrade for Bath. I think the Pollard move reflects the status of his bank account once he signs for them.

Substitute
Substitute
14 May, 2019 00:11
What are Quins playing at?

A highly successful season with a talented 10 pulling the strings. What do we need: a problematic and enigmatic 10... Gustard will need to be at the top of his game and I don't regret him not being at Bath.

Ali1969
Ali1969
14 May, 2019 09:41
Pollard to Montpellier is the one that sticks out to me - we were led to believe that this had fallen through due to central contracts in SARFU...

If it came down to money then fair enough...somehow I don't buy that - this comes down to the club, coaches and ambition..

Montpellier - strong recruitment - adamant about challenging on all fronts, (proven and experienced) Vern Cotter in charge as DoR, oh an they have appointed a Head Coach and full coaching set up....

Us - All the rumours surrounding TB leaving and disaffection in the club, now Novice DoR who it is assumed does not need a Head Coach - has no coaching experience or coaching qualifications but will pick the team...A very inexperienced squad but we do have a world class back three and back row when fit...Oh yes and we are negotiating a lovely new stadium maybe...

WHERE IS THE AMBITION IN OUR CLUB!!!!

Is it any wonder why he would chose Montpellier over us... Look at London Irish still a championship side signing world class players in anticipation for next years campaign following Bristol's blueprint when they came up signing CP. Both clubs have got seasoned and respected full coaching teams in place...Our signings over the past few years since TF and SU has been truy awful and underwhelming..

As for Quins they are signing Cooper for the X Factor - when and if this man's head is screwed on he is as good as anyone in the world and offers something completely different to anything else they have - he also plays right across the backline...Good signing IMHO if and big if his head is straight...Gustard is a very shrewd operator and knows his players so imagine he is confident he can handle Coopers ego.

A really sad day - my wife informed me yesterday that my son's no longer wish to renew their Season Tickets with Bath FC they both believe Bath will genuinely be relegation targets with Tigers next season unless Bruce gets his way to ring fence..The upshot is I won't be renewing mine either ....Tragedy for me personally but a reality check as to where the club is and it's immediate future...Still support the boys but cannot argue given the past performances and complete lack of ambition to want to challenge...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 10:00 by Ali1969.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
14 May, 2019 10:18
Quote:
Ali1969
..A very inexperienced squad but we do have a world class back three and back row when fit...Oh yes and we are negotiating a lovely new stadium maybe...

You have probably answered your own question. Never underestimate the value of a new stadium. For inexperienced read young, yes its a risk but so is Quade Cooper, remains to be seen if Gustard can handle him.

The Pollard issue looks more like the family, friends and money had a big influence. Where we agree is the coaching bit. Seems crazy to me, it looks as though we are destined to get halfway through next season before we realise the error of our ways and sign a head coach as an emergency.

To get back on topic we definitely need a 10, whether that comes from developing our own or buying one I'm not sure, if that is not an option because of availability then I would like to see a class 9, who could transform our current quiver of 10's.

Fact is, we just have to accept that the club complement is what it is, like you though I'm worried.

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Sadly injured for the rest of the season!

MESSAGES->author
Rawce
14 May, 2019 10:42
Pollard sounds like another Genia, so it may be for the best.

Iíd be concerned if both of Quins 10s were the X factor type and no steady Eddie. However, having a steady hand/envelope pusher combo hasnít exactly worked for us has it?

Ali1969
Ali1969
14 May, 2019 11:15
Jeez - sale are doing some business - add the probability that Mark Wilson is joining as well - they could be serious contenders next year...

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
14 May, 2019 12:18
If it is down to paying money under the cap then maybe we need to get the players into property development more......

noidea
noidea
14 May, 2019 13:31
I believe we offered Pollard a decent Marquee salary of around 750K pa. I understand Altrad offered him around Ä1.5m. Plus they have a lot of Bok contacts at Montpellier.
I donít think it would have been good for the team to have one player being paid so much more than everyone else, Pollard will now probably be the highest paid player in Europe.

MESSAGES->author
hasta
14 May, 2019 14:07
Yeah that's my understanding too, noidea. Pollard would have been marquee and cap-excluded for us, but that Montpelier-level salary would have been destabilising to the squad.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
14 May, 2019 14:28
That's a lot of money, near football levels. I wonder what his team mates will think of it, or the supporters against a background of political unrest in the country.

gaz59
gaz59
14 May, 2019 14:37
If those figures are close to true then it was a no-brainer in a way. It would have had the likes of JJ, Ant and Joe banging on Tarquin's door. No English club could afford the fall out from matching that level of silly money

warrenball
warrenball
14 May, 2019 15:05
The old choice between the dull but dependable and the outrageous but sometimes erratic fly half. As I go to rugby to enjoy watching the skills on display and not ending up falling asleep I would always choose Barnes, Catt, Cipriani or Cooper over Andrew or Priestland.

I understand I am at odds with many fine coaches but I am not sure if this is because the coaches worry they will some lose control because these players play the game as they see it and not by numbers or if it because they become so crucial to the team they cannot be easily replaced if injured.

To have one of these players the whole club has got to be signed up to their style of play and this has worked in spades for Gloucester and I think will work for Quins under Gustard. I think it will also pay off for them because it will bring on young Marcus Smith and make him a very good player.

I worry that despite the hardness of the seats at Bath I may be getting plenty of rest on Saturday afternoons.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
14 May, 2019 16:13
+1 to noidea and Hasta. I also understand that Pollard had agreed our terms but was persuaded not to sign mainly by his family and the lure of bigger money.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
14 May, 2019 16:30
If Montpellier really offered double what Bath could pay then it was a no brainer for Pollard.

Still concerning that we go into next season with 2 inconsistent, injury prone 10's though.

Surely there must be a better 10 around somewhere?

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
14 May, 2019 17:20
Quote:
OutsideBath
If Montpellier really offered double what Bath could pay then it was a no brainer for Pollard.
Still concerning that we go into next season with 2 inconsistent, injury prone 10's though.

If you find one OB I am sure Hoops would be delighted to hear from you!

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
14 May, 2019 17:28
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
OutsideBath

So you honestly believe that there isn't a single 10 in the world who is;

a) Better than what we've been left with.
b) Available.
c) Could be persuaded to come to Bath.

I do find that hard to believe.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
14 May, 2019 18:02
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
OutsideBath

So you honestly believe that there isn't a single 10 in the world who is;

a) Better than what we've been left with.
b) Available.
c) Could be persuaded to come to Bath.

I do find that hard to believe.

Name that 10 OB why do you think we re-signed RP?

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Sadly injured for the rest of the season!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
14 May, 2019 18:04
Well if you think there is one who is out of contract and available let Hoops know. BTW he needs to qualify as a Marquee as we are up to the cap already.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
14 May, 2019 18:10
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Well if you think there is one who is out of contract and available let Hoops know. BTW he needs to qualify as a Marquee as we are up to the cap already.

OK Mr CC I give up I am 100% wrong and as always you are absolutely right with everything to do with Bath rugby. There is no problem at 10 for next season and we have the best available.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
14 May, 2019 18:18
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
CoochieCoo

OK Mr CC I give up I am 100% wrong and as always you are absolutely right with everything to do with Bath rugby. There is no problem at 10 for next season and we have the best available.

Why so defensive! I am just pointing out that it ain't so easy as you think. Good 10s don't grow on trees!

Danchinho
Danchinho
14 May, 2019 19:37
FWIW, I watched the Bulls vs Crusaders the other day. Mo'Unga outshone Pollard in just about every facet on the game. It can be unfair to compare I feel sometimes, if the entire team seems to be playing better than the opposition then I think it can be hard to perform to a high standard. Still, to be fair, Mo'Unga had a much better eye for a gap, better pace, better at slipping through tackles, better at passing at the line, better at kicking out of hand and pretty good in front of the posts. If Pollard is going to be on that kind of money then Mo'Unga looked like he deserved £10m :-D

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

SarrieSaint
SarrieSaint
14 May, 2019 19:55
I know things aren't ideal but I am not sure Theresa May is the solution ...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
14 May, 2019 21:02
Quote:
OutsideBath

Shame they couldnít give a fan of the year award at the event in the week.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck
14 May, 2019 21:09
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
OutsideBath

The winner would be a Dyson fan surely.....

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
14 May, 2019 21:56
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
OutsideBath

The winner would be a Dyson fan surely.....

(Sm152) (Sm152)

Ali1969
Ali1969
15 May, 2019 10:18
I wouldn't worry about the 10 given Hooper's comments to Dan Evans that he intends to revert to a forward dominant Bath...

I bet JJ, Watson, Roko etc are over the moon with this prognosis from the new DoR. Whilst I would be the first to say you need to get a minimal of parity up front but to come out and actually state he intends to return Bath rugby to the old days of forward dominated play does worry me.

it does however make sense as to why Rhys was re-signed, he is a very good tactical kicker behind a solid pack...Not great news for the backs, Freddie in particular and supporters alike.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
15 May, 2019 10:25
The Exeter supporters seem happy enough behind a forward dominated pack and less than stellar half backs?

Awp24975
Awp24975
15 May, 2019 11:08
Quote:
Ali1969
I wouldn't worry about the 10 given Hooper's comments to Dan Evans that he intends to revert to a forward dominant Bath...
I bet JJ, Watson, Roko etc are over the moon with this prognosis from the new DoR. Whilst I would be the first to say you need to get a minimal of parity up front but to come out and actually state he intends to return Bath rugby to the old days of forward dominated play does worry me.

it does however make sense as to why Rhys was re-signed, he is a very good tactical kicker behind a solid pack...Not great news for the backs, Freddie in particular and supporters alike.

Speak for yourself, would much rather see us dominate teams up front, scrums and line out drives can be things of beauty!

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo
15 May, 2019 11:17
I think he may be right to emphasise the forwards and set piece. If we donít get the ball it doesnít matter how good the backs are. Whatís the old adage... the forwards win you the game the backs decide by how much. A few ground out away wins and everything looks a lot better.

Ali1969
Ali1969
15 May, 2019 11:19
AWP don't get me wrong I think the same as well - but what has changed - we have brought in 3 inexperienced props who were not first choice at their last clubs and 2 back row players who can play in the second row at a push - in addition we have lost our best scrummaging lock.

So why does our DoR now think we will now dominate other teams, many of which have strengthened their own packs...Neil Hatley is a great coach but he cannot change the facts.

warrenball
warrenball
15 May, 2019 11:52
Good article in today's Times by Matthew Syed about most coaches reluctance to play the visionary player who maybe challenged their thinking in favour of the dull but safe. Across all sports it seems to be the same and to a degree supporters seem also to split into two groups. At the mention of Mike Catt or Quade Cooper I immediately think of their passes that open up defences, others only remember the interceptions.

I have always felt we missed a big opportunity with Cipriani, I would buy a season ticket just to watch him play and although I understand Jones' reluctance I am still astonished that he is not even brought into the fold to give Jones more options. It seems once Jones makes up his mind he cannot go back, so continues to push ahead with players like Shields who has really done very little and discount players like Goode and Cipriani.

OBinFiji
OBinFiji
15 May, 2019 11:53
Ali

Because they're big and strong props with potential and motivation. Ideal raw material for Hatley.

In my view Dave Attwood went off the boil after Xmas while Charteris, the player, always felt like a bit of a luxury in the squad. Suspect he's excellent in the training groups - hence why he's been kept on as lineout coach.

Stooke and Ewells are still young,for 2nd row, and so will be better next season. The two new guys will really push them. And I think that Levi Douglas looks like the kind of guy who takes no prisoners. Given that the club captain can also play there - thats 6 pretty solid premiership 2nd rows,

We also have a minimum of 6 totally solid back row behind them.

Given that we will also have 6 solid props (+ Nixon and Vaughan) and 3 good premiership hookers - I don't think Hooper is too far off with his comment.

Doesnt matter how good your backs are - if your forwards can't at least get parity you're not going to win many games in this premiership.

I'd imagine Joseph and all the outside backs will be delighted if that comes together. Half backs will, as always, look much better on frontfoot ball.

I'm warming to the setup. More autonomy for the players should result in better leadership on the pitch. New guys coming in to 2nd row are leaders. Lets get into Leicester, and then roll on 2019/20.

OBinFiji

gaz59
gaz59
15 May, 2019 12:34
Quote:
Ali1969

That's not what I read Hooper to have said at all

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
15 May, 2019 13:08
Yes he does want a dominant set of forwards to then make the space for the backs:

[www.somersetlive.co.uk]

"Those five forwards we've got coming in will make a huge difference to the way we play the game.

"From a senior squad point of view we're very comfortable with where we're at and very excited about what they can achieve on the field."

The balance of recruitment - five forwards and no backs - is a reflection of what Hooper wants. The former captain wants to see a return to the pack dominance of his playing days.

He added: "It has to be underpinned by a dominant forward pack and every other person on the field has to be willing to work incredibly hard in order for us to attack the way we want to attack and score the tries we want to score.

"It's not by coincidence that's (the recruitment balance) happened. The guys coming in are big, dominant forwards. We need to build that.

"That's why we're bringing in Neal (Hatley, who will be forwards and defence coach). He's one of the top forwards coaches around.

"We want to create momentum and forward dominance in open play and set piece, so that the likes of JJ, Ant, Rocco, Ruaridh, Toby and Zach can operate in the space they crave.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
15 May, 2019 13:22
There is an old adage "Forwards win matches, backs influence by how many"!

DanWiley
DanWiley
15 May, 2019 13:49
Were the pack that dominant in his playing days?

JC2 was the last time I felt we had a overall dominant pack, incidentally the old adage proved a little simplistic.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
15 May, 2019 13:57
The Mike Ford pack of 2014/2015 (?) smashed it - Davey Wilson and Paul James crushed more than a few that year on the run to the final.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
15 May, 2019 14:08
Quote:
BathMatt53
The Exeter supporters seem happy enough behind a forward dominated pack and less than stellar half backs?

Whilst they are winning (or at least challenging for) trophies they are bound to be happy.

I'm sure Bath fans would be equally as happy if we moved in the direction of winning, however in the meantime it might be a bit tedious playing without the need for wingers.

Hamptonite
Hamptonite
15 May, 2019 15:15
Quote:
Ali1969
Pollard to Montpellier is the one that sticks out to me - we were led to believe that this had fallen through due to central contracts in SARFU...
If it came down to money then fair enough...somehow I don't buy that - this comes down to the club, coaches and ambition..

Montpellier - strong recruitment - adamant about challenging on all fronts, (proven and experienced) Vern Cotter in charge as DoR, oh an they have appointed a Head Coach and full coaching set up....

Us - All the rumours surrounding TB leaving and disaffection in the club, now Novice DoR who it is assumed does not need a Head Coach - has no coaching experience or coaching qualifications but will pick the team...A very inexperienced squad but we do have a world class back three and back row when fit...Oh yes and we are negotiating a lovely new stadium maybe...

Is it any wonder why he would chose Montpellier over us... Look at London Irish still a championship side signing world class players in anticipation for next years campaign following Bristol's blueprint when they came up signing CP. Both clubs have got seasoned and respected full coaching teams in place...Our signings over the past few years since TF and SU has been truy awful and underwhelming..

As for Quins they are signing Cooper for the X Factor - when and if this man's head is screwed on he is as good as anyone in the world and offers something completely different to anything else they have - he also plays right across the backline...Good signing IMHO if and big if his head is straight...Gustard is a very shrewd operator and knows his players so imagine he is confident he can handle Coopers ego.

A really sad day - my wife informed me yesterday that my son's no longer wish to renew their Season Tickets with Bath FC they both believe Bath will genuinely be relegation targets with Tigers next season unless Bruce gets his way to ring fence..The upshot is I won't be renewing mine either ....Tragedy for me personally but a reality check as to where the club is and it's immediate future...Still support the boys but cannot argue given the past performances and complete lack of ambition to want to challenge...

Far too much negativity in this posting for much comment!
With the goings on at Montpellier in the last couple of years they make Bath Rugby look like the epitome of a well run club!

he went for the cash !!

Also, if the serious press is to be believed, Bruce is against ring fencing of the Premiership

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo
15 May, 2019 16:02
Quote:
Hamptonite
Quote:
Ali1969

Far too much negativity in this posting for much comment!
With the goings on at Montpellier in the last couple of years they make Bath Rugby look like the epitome of a well run club!

he went for the cash !!

Also, if the serious press is to be believed, Bruce is against ring fencing of the Premiership

+ 1 The cavalry has arrived winking smiley

warrenball
warrenball
15 May, 2019 17:21
Maybe Pollard did go for the cash, but I think the general view is that it was somewhat reckless to have all our eggs in one basket. As No 10 is such an important position and the decision had already been made that Priestland was not good enough you would have expected us to have plan B, C & D ready if Pollard fell through. Much better than the humiliating U turn.

MESSAGES->author
hemington
15 May, 2019 17:35
Quote:
warrenball
Maybe Pollard did go for the cash, but I think the general view is that it was somewhat reckless to have all our eggs in one basket. As No 10 is such an important position and the decision had already been made that Priestland was not good enough you would have expected us to have plan B, C & D ready if Pollard fell through. Much better than the humiliating U turn.

Yep there are 3 quality, available, not prohibitavely expendsive 10s out there just waiting for Bath to come calling. As has been asked on this thread earlier on ....please name them.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
15 May, 2019 17:39
Wasn't Aaron Cruden plan B, glad it didn't happen in a way as he is a bit injury prone.

MESSAGES->author
Duke of Earl
15 May, 2019 18:31
Sunwolves ten, Hayden Parker might be worth a call.

Nothing can stop the Duke of Earl

gaz59
gaz59
15 May, 2019 18:54
Quote:
BathMatt53
Yes he does want a dominant set of forwards to then make the space for the backs:
[www.somersetlive.co.uk]

"Those five forwards we've got coming in will make a huge difference to the way we play the game.

"From a senior squad point of view we're very comfortable with where we're at and very excited about what they can achieve on the field."

The balance of recruitment - five forwards and no backs - is a reflection of what Hooper wants. The former captai
n wants to see a return to the pack dominance of his playing days.

He added: "It has to be underpinned by a dominant forward pack and every other person on the field has to be willing to work incredibly hard in order for us to attack the way we want to attack and score the tries we want to score.

"It's not by coincidence that's (the recruitment balance) happened. The guys coming in are big, dominant forwards. We need to build that.

"That's why we're bringing in Neal (Hatley, who will be forwards and defence coach). He's one of the top forwards coaches around.

"We want to create momentum and forward dominance in open play and set piece, so that the likes of JJ, Ant, Rocco, Ruaridh, Toby and Zach can operate in the space they crave.

Big difference between a forward dominant Bath and Bath with a dominant pack of forwards

To me the former is the pack get on top and it is pick n go until game won so can let the backs join in. The latter is a pack that gets on top to release quick ball so the likes of JJ, Ant, RMc and Joe can fire the shots

I'd pay good money to watch the latter not if we revert to some of the rugby of the 80s that won trophies but fre admirers

P G Tips
P G Tips
15 May, 2019 19:31
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
CoochieCoo

Actually OB, Shipwrecked also asked you the same question.

Who would you have targeted?

PG

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath
15 May, 2019 20:12
Quote:
P G Tips
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
CoochieCoo

PG

Daft question as I couldn't possibly know who is available, whereas Bath's scouting network do (or they should).

All I am saying is there must be someone available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2019 20:15 by OutsideBath.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
15 May, 2019 20:38
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
P G Tips
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
CoochieCoo

PG

Daft question as I couldn't possibly know who is available, whereas Bath's scouting network do (or they should).

All I am saying is there must be someone available.

And taht person needs to be available to sign (in a RWC year), marquee-eligible and better than either or both of Freddie and Rhys (who are both international 10s). We usually have a lot of ideas on this board but I don't see any names being touted. Pollard went elsewhere for the money and Cruden gets broken too easily.

Here's an idea. Maybe the Bath scouting network is actually doing their job.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

dcsh
dcsh
15 May, 2019 21:19
Well there was a relatively young Irish international fly half available, but I donít think any Bath fan would have been please with him being signed.

Itís all very well saying that there must have been someone, but they had a to:
1. be out of contract or be with a club that were willing to release him
2. be better than RP.
3. fit into the way Bath want to play.
4. fit into the club/squad without disrupting it.
5. accept whatever the max Bath was willing to pay.
6. want to come to Bath.
7. be supported in coming to Bath by family etc.

warrenball
warrenball
15 May, 2019 21:40
So in the opinion of the Bath management and some posters there was/is only one fly half (in the whole world) better than Priestland and available? I find it hard to believe, but if so that makes Priestland our plan B as Pollard had not yet signed and there was nobody else available.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic
15 May, 2019 21:45
Quote:
warrenball
So in the opinion of the Bath management and some posters there was/is only one fly half (in the whole world) better than Priestland and available? I find it hard to believe, but if so that makes Priestland our plan B as Pollard had not yet signed and there was nobody else available.
u
And we successfully completed Plan B when Plan A didn't work. That sounds like good business practice to me.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked
15 May, 2019 23:13
Quote:
warrenball

At this time that might well be true. The best 10's are internationals and there are more clubs looking for quality fly halves than there are countries.

As a club we must not be reckless in signing a 10 in a hurry then massively regretting it, remember Donald? You never know the next class 10 might already be at the club.

DownSouth
DownSouth
16 May, 2019 05:12
Elton Jantjies, or Bernard Foley.....?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
16 May, 2019 07:23
I mentioned Jantjies on here months ago and was swiftly informed by those who watch him most weeks that he is a liability.

Ali1969
Ali1969
16 May, 2019 09:42
Bernard Foley is a highly underrated fly half capable of playing 12 as shown by the Wallabies...Not sure he would be available Cheika is a great one for centralising his core national players particularly post Folau..

There are some quality 10's/Ball playing 12's around...for whatever reason we only highlighted one - again someone with a chequered injury past - so whilst I understand he comments in relation to Cruden - my mind goes back to a coach I played under who always quoted "we are all but one hit away from a serious injury".

The fact is we have 2 fly halves who have a propensity for niggling injuries and 2 Inside Centres in Roberts and Willison who again have a propensity for injuries...In Willison given his head injury issues this year one would have to be worried if he will or wants to return to such a high impactive sport.

9/10/12 - is without doubt the weakest part "Achilles Heal" of the squad and the most frustrating part for me which sends me towards some negativity is that we have done nothing to strengthen this issue in fact we have weakened it by releasing Kahn without replacement.

I guess just the complete frustration is we have such talent but the spoon that feeds this talent is at best crooked at worst broken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2019 10:03 by Ali1969.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53
16 May, 2019 10:14
Max Clark and Max Wright are both young and talented centres who can play 12 and I would have no worries if either started next season - I think that the 12 position is fine although the overall number of bodies in the backs will be tested during the WC if England are still in at the QF stage.

OBinFiji
OBinFiji
16 May, 2019 10:46
If you were looking at SuperRugby last season you'd have put Lima Sopoaga in that category. Not surprised that theres maybe slightly more concern about bringing in someone who looks good downunder.
I don't think Foley is an improvement on Stephen Donald - who's still playing, gawd bless him.

OBinFiji

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net