Latest News:

The old Off Topic Board, no longer used

Rugby discussions go here

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Vinyl to digital recording help!!
trolleydolly (IP Logged)
01 March, 2014 18:14
Hi helpful folk.
I am sitting here bored witless and can see my lovely LP collection. We do not have the means to play said collection. I know it is possible to record my albums onto my computer, but which is the best method of doing so? I would be most grateful for any sensible suggestions on equipment - ie turntable and USB connection or one of those turntables with an integrated means of transference.

Many thanks in advance.

Lesley

Re: Vinyl to digital recording help!!
dabos (IP Logged)
01 March, 2014 23:38
Lesley

I tried this a couple of years ago and it is a pain in the backside with unsatisfactory results. Technology may have moved on, but why not buy yourself a turntable (less than 70) and play those LPs in their own right. Flicking through the albums, sliding them out the sleeve, cleaning the dust off, rolling a joint on the cover. For those of us of a certain age it's a pleasure.

Beer Belly (IP Logged)
03 March, 2014 11:44
Time to pop off to Dabos' with a pile of vinyl under my arm methinks! (Sm3) (Sm100)

(Sm63)

Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
05 March, 2014 20:05
TD - this is a hard one to address because there are many variables to consider, I have been there;

Dabos is right, you can buy a new turntable for c70 with a USB connection for a modern amplifier - I did this at Richer Sounds on the London Road and it works with my Cambridge Audio CD/MP3/DAB/FM radio device as an Auxiliary option.

If all your vinyl has survived beer/fags/scratches/warping/tea/coffee or any other contaminant over the years this will work. If not go straight to a streaming service e.g. Spotify.

If some of your vinyl is beyond use then replace those LP's with CD's and keep said vinyl for those nostalgic moments Dabos alludes to above.

In the end you will have a combination of all three - I still can't part with my vinyly copies of Who's Next; Dark Side of the Moon; Horses amongst many others that are damaged beyond repair.

If you do decide to transfer your vinyl to digital via a device make sure that you do it at the best possible sound quality if that option exists - good luck.

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

trolleydolly (IP Logged)
05 March, 2014 20:50
Many thanks, I will let you know how it goes!

Lesley

Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
14 May, 2014 19:24
How did it go TD?

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net