Latest News:
Come On You Warriors! - we ARE the 16th Man!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

2 Jan, 2012 14:03 Report
usa warrior (IP Logged)
Date Joined: May, 2007
Substitutions
Thought Hills changes yesterday were spot on and only improved the performance. They didn't disrupt the flow of the game and solidified aspects of the team at key times. I include in this praise the changes he didn't make as well.

And if there is still any doubt over JC's quality please re-watch the match. His game management was superb.

ReplyQuote

2 Jan, 2012 16:02 Report
Turnover (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Aug, 2006
Re: Substitutions
I agree USA, the TT for Tomahawk was a must. I found the Perry for Johnny one a little more puzzling due to the fact that it was made at half time. However, it suited Perry's style. The Joey doubters should now be in the minority now as he has grown in stature given that he has being given more game time and afforded the respnsability of no 1. I for one felt that RH should have played AG against Leicester and arguably given the tactics against Wasps that was another game that would have suited AG's kicking game. Joey more than fronted up and we now have two quality fly halves. Given the period after Shane Drahm where a quality fly half and scrum half was on everbodys shopping list we now have that luxury.With pace outside and at full back we still find it difficult to score tries, is it now simply a new centre partnership that is required or is that really making it too simplistic?
On another front there is one thing for certain I doubt that RH will keep AG warming the replacements bench for too long.

ReplyQuote

2 Jan, 2012 16:55 Report
WarriorPhill (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Mar, 2011
As you know USAW I'm not so up beat about the subs. Yes the ones he made were good and clearly, as we won they were right. I guess it just frustrates me that we didn't make any attacking subs. I know we won the game but I think I would have liked to see Goode on for a 10 minute mix up or Fatiaki on to give Wasps something to defend.

ReplyQuote

2 Jan, 2012 17:40 Report
usa warrior (IP Logged)
For me the decision not to mix it up typifies Hill. He is very calculated and to throw those players on to try to deprive them of a BP for instance could have led to a defensive error or generally unsettled a pretty solid team effort, so right call for me.

ReplyQuote

2 Jan, 2012 17:40 Report
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
We ARE the 16th Man
Date Joined: Oct, 2005
Alex Grove has had indifferent games for a while, he could do with a rest

ReplyQuote

2 Jan, 2012 17:44 Report
WarriorPhill (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Mar, 2011
Quote:
usa warrior
For me the decision not to mix it up typifies Hill. He is very calculated and to throw those players on to try to deprive them of a BP for instance could have led to a defensive error or generally unsettled a pretty solid team effort, so right call for me.

Fully agree. As I said, we won the game so it must have been the right thing to do... just want to see some attacking :-) Doesn't need to be for full 80 minutes but for 10 would have been nice!

ReplyQuote

2 Jan, 2012 17:50 Report
usa warrior (IP Logged)
I think it's sometimes hard for him to get into games PE. With the greatest respect to Dale, as he defended very well yesterday, with ball in hand he is extraordinarily predictable, feign the pass then straighten up head down into contact. Alex rarely sees the ball unless he is tracking a breakaway and is more likely to run a decoy if we are attacking or is missed out in favour of a wing. He defends well and if I feel anyone playing outside Dale would look indifferent.

If anything I'd like to see Fatiaki come in for Dale to offer a different look. Not sure what his passing like, but according to the players he's been training extremely well.

ReplyQuote

2 Jan, 2012 17:56 Report
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
We ARE the 16th Man
Date Joined: Oct, 2005
It has been Alex's passing that has disappointed me of late, it seems he has got into the habit of either under or over throwing passes to those outside him leading knock ons or the ball going into touch. Perhaps I am being a bit harsh.

ReplyQuote

2 Jan, 2012 18:02 Report
usa warrior (IP Logged)
Maybe not, the centres are very comfortable and almost assured their places at the moment and may not be a bad thing to shake them up. I'd like to see Andy Short get a run at outside for instance.

ReplyQuote

2 Jan, 2012 19:21 Report
The Mailman (IP Logged)
Centre has been a huge problem area for us for years. It is very difficult to score tries and get your back 3 opportunities if the centres have little pace, vision or passing / handling skills. Remember the god awful noon / tindall partnership for England?! Yuk. How England have missed greenwood. I have plenty of admiration for dale, and to a certain degree Alex, who showed promise but has lost his way rather, but I doubt they would get into any other premiership side. Indeed, a few of the more progressive championship sides like pirates might prefer what they've got - as neither Alex nor dale would suit their style of play. It's a shame, and I don't like saying it, but we desperately desperately need some genuine talent in the centres or we will never move on as a team ... Unless of course we can keep restricting the opposition to zero points (Sm100)

ReplyQuote

2 Jan, 2012 20:30 Report
ROLLO (IP Logged)
I think I am correct in saying that Dale has played the majority of games at outside centre which is a different role to inside which he is now playing.
Don't know why the switch has been made. 12 has been an issue since Lombard left, Sammy T filled the gap for a short period, but IMHO we missed a trick with not giving Simon Whatling a chance at inside centre once Thomas had gone.

ReplyQuote

2 Jan, 2012 21:16 Report
usa warrior (IP Logged)
I understand completely why Dale is one of the first names on the teamsheet every week. If you weigh up the fact that he is not going to help us score many points against the fact that he will save us quite a few points by tackling and marshalling the line, than he must play. This fits with us playing to our strengths this year: Defense.

ReplyQuote

2 Jan, 2012 21:26 Report
Turnover (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Aug, 2006
Fair point Rollo, however, there is much conjecture about Dale and Alex currently. I posted earlier and asked if the solution is as simple as a new pair of centres. The point is our forwards have not exactly been clearing rucks very quickly and our set piece has largely been at best mediocre and certainly erratic. How can you expect your centres to operate with flair if the ball they get is continually slow. In my mind there is only one option and that is crash ball which we see with regularity and as such we become very easy to defend against. It is no small wonder that Grove sees little offensive ball and very often why we look so static in our back line.There is also a certain irony about this as you may remember Dale's career with Warriors was essentialy over two seasons ago before being reprieved by Cecil. Whatling had already moved on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 22:03 by Turnover.

ReplyQuote

3 Jan, 2012 00:07 Report
The Mailman (IP Logged)
Slow ball certainly doesn't help, but our current centres arent exactly the type to exploit it when it does arrive. If we want to score more tries the goal should be to attain both more quick ball AND faster inventive centres. I hoped that crockett would improve matters, but unfortunately he has never recaptured the form that earned him an England A cap at bath (and obviously his injury has ended his hopes this season). If we want to progress as a team we can't focus solely on either defence or attack. We'll have to make do with what we've got for now, but I will be extremely disappointed if there's no new blood at 12/13 next year. If a centre doesn't have pace, he needs great vision and an eye for utilising space and sensing opportunities to compensate. Our current centres have neither I'm afraid - and hence they'll never worry defences and rarely beat their man, break the line, or create try scoring chances. Raw power only gets you so far in this professional era when most players have muscles like wrestlers. Just my 2p

ReplyQuote
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListLog In

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net