rugbyunion
Latest News:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year #COYW

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
Backrow combinations
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 04:54
Although Betty Cowan Abbott has been working I'd really like to see Kevesic Cowan Best.

Kai Cowan Best might be interesting!

So many options here!

Betty Cowan Best?

MESSAGES->author
Re: Backrow combinations
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 07:25
Abbott is out for 3 weeks. So that lowers the permutations. But I wouldn't like to have to make the choice.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

MESSAGES->author
Drutz (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 07:29
The problem is a nice one to have but for me I would go with the first one if all fit as I think Betty, Abbott and Cowan have pace, aggression and compliment each other well. Shame for Matt K but he will be out for chunks of the season with England I feel so bench him and if someones form drops you him, Kai and Best to come in. Great to see.

Pulling the boots on for one more year

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 07:59
Whilst in no way disagreeing with the above, it does rather beg the question as to how many back row forwards Warriors will have on the books next season given that we know that Semisi Taulava is coming from Rotherham; presumably Richard M will not be retained(?).

MESSAGES->author
WarriorPhill (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 09:08
I would imagine Richard M is off, I can't see Kai being retained and then I guess when Besty leaves the end of next season Matt gets some more first team action at the grand old age of 20 1/2 ;-)
The back row looks amazing for us!

Tythingrun
Tythingrun (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 09:10
Surely it's about having options ? pick the sprinters when the goings good,and, when its ankle deep in mud and a miserable day at the Rec or castle Grim, just field the biggest meanest eight we've got and keep it tight.

Old 7
Old 7 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 09:42
After last nights performance, Besty must wonder what more he has to do to get picked.

MESSAGES->author
Drutz (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 10:50
Warriorphil I wouldn't say we would lose both Kai and Richard M as that would leave us only 2 number 8's and as this season has proven that is not enough so think if he plays well Kai will be retained.

Old 7 Besty's problem is that he has been injured a long time and Betty has been been outstanding. I don't want players to be able to walk into a spot as soon as they are fit as long as a guy is playing well. Competition for spots is what we need across the park.

MESSAGES->author
WarriorPhill (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 10:59
My assumption on Kai not being retained is based on Cowan and the new monster #8 with Freeman as back up. We also have another academy lad Rovira who plays at 8. It might not be his best position but Kvesic can also cover so I would think we are OK without Kai?! I bet he is on top wages too!

MESSAGES->author
Shoutin' Bloke (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 11:21
Chris Jones can cover, but you wouldn't necessarily want to start him at 8 too often, in an ever increasing quality league.

Utility players may cover the bases, but what is they say?.....Jack of all trades...you know the rest.

MESSAGES->author
Drutz (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 11:21
Yes I think we will have to wait on the young guns, not sure any of them are ready yet for that step up. It took Jake a few years to cement his place and if these guys were so good why did we go out and get Cowen and not use them. So think we still need another experienced head in the back row.

Also we need to get out of the the whole well so-and-so can cover there because if we have too many players covering different positions then your squad gets stretched extremely thin. For example say next year we get injuries to the two number 8's and one of the flankers then don't have enough players to cover the backrow as you'd have penciled in Kvesic for 6 and 8. No 3 out and out 8's for me please.

MESSAGES->author
WarriorPhill (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 11:25
Drutz, if the wage limit can support his wages then more than happy to have 3 x #8 and agree we want to be careful with having too many utility players; but at the same time if the younger lads are not good enough why do we keep them? Matt played at #8 for England and currently isn't 1st choice based on Betty, Abbott and Cowan playing so well, so why would we not use him as 'back row' cover as he learns and develops?

Anyway, we will find out in the next few months

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 11:52
There is a possibility that Besty may play at 7 to cover Jake with Matt on the bench. Not sure Kai deserves another run infront of Blair based on Friday nights performance.

Young Warrior
Young Warrior (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 12:34
Dacres is also coming on well from the Academy, looked very assured at 6 last night.

MESSAGES->author
WarriorPhill (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 12:36
Young Warrior - H eis looking like a talent and filling out. Not sure if he is a 5 or a 6 though? Until 6 months ago he was a 5?!

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 13:35
It will be a real shame if Kai isn't retained as his injury was misdiagnosed and set his recovery back 7 weeks. I just hope that we get to say thanks to the leaving players.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

MESSAGES->author
WarriorPhill (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 14:13
Thats a good point PE, I wonder how many we will get to say goodbye to at Sixways?!

MESSAGES->author
Shoutin' Bloke (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 15:57
Interesting point on leavers.

Rarely does the club do anything to properly mark the leaving or joining of players.

I know some of the players will no doubt tour the pitch at the end of the Irish game, but surely a bit more could be done?

Garvey, Miles and co to be introduced one by one and run out individually, before the game if selected would be the normal touch.

Old 7
Old 7 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 20:49
Quote:
Drutz

Old 7 Besty's problem is that he has been injured a long time and Betty has been been outstanding. I don't want players to be able to walk into a spot as soon as they are fit as long as a guy is playing well. Competition for spots is what we need across the park.

Totally agree Drutz, which is why I referred to his performance last night as opposed to simply stating that he was fit and therefore should be selected. I can't think of another position that is so closely contested at the moment between two fully fit players. Perhaps he'll be selected at 7 if Jake doesn't make it.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 06:21
I thought Best at the start of the season was one of our best players ?!

MESSAGES->author
WarriorPhill (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 06:24
He was playing really well at the start but Betty and Abbott have been amazing IMHO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net