rugbyunion
Latest News:
WRSC AGM 2nd December!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
Matavesi to take centre stage at Sixways
whatsgoingon (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 05:31
Quote:
Tom Guest
FIJI international centre Josh Matavesi has agreed a deal to join Worcester Warriors for next season’s Aviva Premiership campaign.
The versatile 21-year-old, who has won five caps for his country, is currently playing for Racing Metro in the French Top 14, but will move to Sixways this summer.

The powerful 6ft 1ins 15-stone centre, who can also play full-back, fly-half and wing, grew up in England and spent two years with Exeter Chiefs before moving to the Parisian outfit at the start of this season.
Link

">Tasty Snippet

"A closed mouth gathers no foot"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/04/2012 05:52 by whatsgoingon.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Matavesi to take centre stage at Sixways
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 06:08
Youngster. Couldn't get any game time at Exeter so went to Metro.

Kicked for goal for Fiji v All Blacks.

arkivist
arkivist (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 06:14
Wham Bam - no step?

MESSAGES->author
26 April, 2012 06:29
Rob Baxter Exeter Chiefs:

“He has done pretty well here during his time at the club. It’s always difficult when players move on, but the time was right for both parties for him to move. Maybe in a different rugby environment to Exeter he may thrive, I just think the fit between Exeter Chiefs and Josh wasn’t quite what it needed to be for him to push on any further with us."

Let's hope Warriors is the environment then!

Initially the Fijian international, who was born and raised in Cornwall, joined Metro on an emergency loan deal until the end of the season following an injury to Racing’s Argentinian playmaker Juan Martin Hernandez, but will then take up his two-year contract from the start of next season.?

Welcome and good luck!

n.jackman
bonzi (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 07:09
could not get any game time in france . looks like another journey man three clubs at 22 year of age . stop short changing us worcester and get us some real quality that will make a differance

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 07:09

">Some footage

Sponsor me to "Go Sober in October"
[www.gosober.org.uk]

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s130.htm?129,file=6132

MESSAGES->author
26 April, 2012 07:12
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Josh+Matavesi+wp9hX23WsPTm.jpg

[www.gosober.org.uk]

MESSAGES->author
26 April, 2012 07:12
And Wiki Page

[www.gosober.org.uk]

spudola1
spudola1 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 07:26
I have seen on the Saints board he was being linked to them a couple of weeks ago.

Looks like he needs some stability. Seems to have had a few clubs already at such a young age!

I presume he knows Ravai from international duty? Perhaps Hilly believes they could help develop each other...

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 07:27
Centres who have played for Exeter and come to Worcester have a good track record. Welcome on board Josh I'm quite looking forward to a new back line next season playing behind a bigger pack.

;-)
;-) (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 07:34
Larder indicated at the Season Review he was disappointed to be losing Raz.

n.jackman
bonzi (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 07:39
he would being a defence coach

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/04/2012 07:41 by bonzi.

;-)
;-) (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 07:56
Raz came from Exeter?!

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 08:17
Ras and siaosi valili came from exeter at the beginning of the first premiership season. First real memory o ras was him dropping the ball on the wing in the game against falcons in the sunshine

MESSAGES->author
Drutz (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 08:19
So people were saying they didn't want a championship player...check
They wanted someone with international experience..check
They said they didn't want someone topping up the pension..check
They wanted someone with experience playing at the highest level..check

So is everyone happy with this?
Quote:
bonzi
could not get any game time in france . looks like another journey man three clubs at 22 year of age . stop short changing us worcester and get us some real quality that will make a differance

Ahhh ermm no by the looks of it. How about letting a player turn up and start playing before we think they are not what we need.

Pulling the boots on for one more year

TVM Rides Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 08:41
I hear Conrad Smith was available, but the management deliberately didn't go for him, purely to spite spectators.

Either that or a rugby player is a human being not an item of stock, anbd you cannot just pick them up off the shelf, and he was the best option we could viably recruit.

I don't think we'll ever know the truth behind this little chesnut....

Cheltenham is often called the Gateway to the Cotswolds...

In the same way Gloucester is the Asda of the Malverns. - Jack Dee

MESSAGES->author
Drutz (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 08:57
Actually TVM I heard that Dan Carter wanted to join us, as he loves Worcester as all players do, but we decided against it as it might induce more people to buy season tickets, and the board don't want that.

(Sm161)

Guerrier
Guerrier (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 08:58
He seems to have played at least 8 Top 14 games and 3 HC matches for Racing Metro, so good experience for a young lad. Giving the fact their squad is a lot bigger then ours, he must be pretty good for them to start him in key games. he might not be first choice but second to Hernandez it's too bad smiling smiley

[www.itsrugby.co.uk]

The Racing Metro forum's seem to rate him as well...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/04/2012 08:58 by Guerrier.

jgmorgan100
The Mailman (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 09:09
Let's get things straight here. This is a thread of several posts. Only one of them is actually criticising the signing. This would be such a boring forum if everyone praised the club for everything they did and took a wise detatched objective attitude. Where's the fun in that? it's a game of opinions and emotions. People want the squad to improve - so it's understandable they're disappointed when someone like Ras leaves and a guy struggling for game time at other clubs arrives to replace him. You can see the logic in that, right?!

The bigger question is whether the club is moving forward. Therefore, players that come in will have to be better than those leaving. We will have to wait and see whether Matavesi is actually going to be an improvement. His pedigree suggests otherwise (on a superficial level admittedly) so you've got to expect some fans to complain. It's only natural. Adopting a 'wait and see' attitude also surely contains a degree of acceptance that things might not work out.

Personally, this is exactly the kind of signing I was expecting - so I'm neither overjoyed nor disappointed. I realise the budget and desire to play under Hill, in a struggling team, probably meant it was very hard to recruit someone better. However, I can totally understand why some people are disappointed. The fact that I realise all this doesn't make me somehow superior - or imply that I have a monopoly on objective wisdom. Let's have some bloody empathy around here. This is a broad church - or should be! These days there seems to be a campaign to drive out anyone that grumbles about anything. Or am I imagining things? A forum is no utopia. If it wasn't for people like JP, this would be a totally sterile forum. I like reading diverse views.

Everything in the garden is not rosy. Neither is everything a disaster. However, I want to read both views!!! By the way, everyone should remember that there is no such thing as true objectivity. So let's stop pretending there is!

Turnover
Turnover (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 09:12
Give the Lad a chance I say.There will be plenty of improvement left in him and he is the right age profile, with international experience.

Brian4455
Bri (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 09:41
I am a Bath fan but I have watched Josh for a fair few years and he could turn out to be the real deal,he's the nephew of our Academy manager I believe and was always expected to come to us,don't know why he didn't.He has pace to burn and is a very good rugby player.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 09:56
Quote:
The Mailman
Let's have some bloody empathy around here.

What, like calling a 21 year old a journeyman and and accusing the club of short changing us? Doesn't seem very empathetic to me, more pathetic!

We sign a quality lock and he's called an over the hill journeyman. We sign a promising young centre, who made his full international debut at 19, and he's called a journeyman because he hasn't started every game for a top six French team in his second season there!

Give me strength!!

From the Youtube footage, the guy looks a great signing, a good footballer, skillful, big boot, strong defensively, and good going forward. If we want a more attacking game next season he could fit in very well.

Welcome Josh, looking forward to seeing you at Sixways.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

ephil
ephil (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 10:07
Quote:
Bri
I am a Bath fan but I have watched Josh for a fair few years and he could turn out to be the real deal,he's the nephew of our Academy manager I believe and was always expected to come to us,don't know why he didn't.He has pace to burn and is a very good rugby player.
Thanks Bri, I'll look forward to seeing what he can do.

jgmorgan100
The Mailman (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 10:40
By empathy I meant respect for other people's opinions - and an understanding of where they're coming from. They're perfectly entitled to call him a journeyman, even if you and I realise that isn't the case. I just object to people being torched for being critical of the club. Even if we disagree with them, different views are still part and parcel of sports forums. It would be incredibly boring if everyone said the same thing.

Back to the real subject - Josh Matavesi - it is promising that he's got pace. If we can't attract big names, or don't want to / can't afford to pay for them, then grooming young players with potential is a decent option. I look forward to him competing with Grove and Fakiati for the 13 shirt (presumably).

MESSAGES->author
Drutz (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 10:52
Quote:
The Mailman
They're perfectly entitled to call him a journeyman, even if you and I realise that isn't the case. I just object to people being torched for being critical of the club.

Ahh now I have never said they couldn't have an opinion and I am far from the 'rosey eyed the club is amazing' crowd as well. I just think writing off a player who he has probably not watched, insinuating he is now good and basically saying the club are not trying to improve is wrong. Now if he does not work out then I will say so and admit I was wrong, but my first post while tongue in cheek proved that for some people unless it is a Gear or Latham or Carter people think they are not good enough. That is not empathy involved but some peole being blinked and not realising this is a long haul job not a buy it and they come one as those projects tend to die as quickly as they are born.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 10:54
I understand what you're saying Mailman, but I've never really had much time for the view that people who are happy, ready and willing to criticise the club or be insulting to players or staff, should themselves be immune to criticism, simply because "it's only their opinion".

If you are going to throw stones you shouldn't complain if someone else smashes your greenhouse, IMHO.

And for the record, that doesn't mean that the person being critical of your opinion is trying to deprive you of it or stifle your right to express it. Everyone has the right not only to express an opinion, but to make themself look stupid doing it, and I include myself in that! (Sm100)

Whatever you do, do it safely!

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:07
Looks like a decent signing to me though admit I've never heard of him. Youtube footage looks quite impressive. Nice step for a big lad and won't be afraid of the contact.
Along with the experience of Clarke and Grove and presumed familiarity with Fatiaki I think we should have a decent selection of centres next season.

;-)
;-) (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:08
I think the budget and what is available has reflected on signings and this one?!

I comprehend Tindall we didn't want he is leaving Gloucs because he wanted a two year contract at 33 they offered one year?

It can be suggested that he would want/command more money than Matavesi eg?

Hill can only work with the budget he's got?

Matavesi has played for Chiefs and Racing Metro and 5 times for Fiji kicking 6pts against NZ! He's got pace, likes to attack, can kick and can play 13,14,15?
The boy must have potential at 21 if he fits in here???

MESSAGES->author
Shoutin' Bloke (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:21
Keeps with a team ethic feel to the recruitment, rather than a stellar selection.

Get the impression that with the weightier pack and a few South Sea Islanders potentially in the middle, may give the impression that next season we plan to rumble or smash up the middle of the park, spring the game line and release fleet footed support runners.

Not too fussed on who has come in, and most of the leavers are legends, so some comparisons against them are not completely to do with ability per se....more Legend v You Tube.

I think the players and support are a little battle weary now.

I am sure after some pre season runs, we will see a quite different Warriors team in terms of approach and personnel, come the start of next season.

P.S. Welcome Josh.thumbs down

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:21
;-) is right.

At first glance this my not seem such a big deal signing, and he's certainly not a proven prem standard player.

But if the lad has been unsettled and is maybe a little difficult, maybe RH is just the bloke to settle him in.

I well remember serious, and similar,doubts about Marcel when he arrived, and that turned out OK, yes?

Maul Master
Maul Master (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:33
Looks pretty useful especially if he can play FB.

jgmorgan100
The Mailman (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:36
I agree with most of the above. The promising thing for me is that we'll have genuine change in the backs for the first time in years. Lots of new players will freshen things up - and hopefully lead to a few more tries.

PS Drutz. My comments weren't particularly directed at you, so I apologise if you took it that way.

BB - what you say it totally true. I wasn't really trying to get into an 'everyone has a right to an opinion' debate. Just expressing a little exasperation. I got the feeling before the signing was announced that there were lots of people who couldn't wait to jump on those who would predictably feel frustrated with the signing (if it wasn't a big name). There was one comment near the top of this thread that was very critical, and suddenly there was a danger of this thread turning into a 'glass half empty, glass half full debate'; which, I think we can all agree, is getting a little old now.

TVM Rides Again
26 April, 2012 11:41
Mailman - bonzi is of course entitled to think that. I never said he wasn't. I merely (admittedly in a fairly childish fashion) said I felt it was ridiculous to accuse the club of short changing fans by signing someone who isn't hyper famous.

And voila, the set of opinions creating a lively discussion is complete!

Anyway. Welcome along Josh, I know your name, but haven't seen a whole lot of you.

I have always liked Fiji, they are like the West Indies in cricket. The results may not be there but they play with a certain joie de vivre which is immensly appealing.

WarwickEastie
WarwickEastie (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:46
I know the highlights video is, well, just that, but there's plenty there to be optimistic about:
- he's a big lad who tackles and busts the gain line
- he'll run angles and attack space as well
- he can step
- he can kick a bit (nice grubber in one piece)
- he has the pace to finish off when he gets through
- he's only 21, so plenty more to come potentially
- could he be our own Manu Tuilagi? -tongue in cheek but he does have a similar style...,

Given that we have experience in Clarke and Grove, I think it's another one of those canny RH signings. Not all come off, but I think he wins more than he loses on past form.

Welcome Josh!
WE

MESSAGES->author
Drutz (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 11:49
Quote:
WarwickEastie
could he be our own Manu Tuilagi? -tongue in cheek but he does have a similar style

As tongue in cheek as you like W/E but know where your coming and think you could be right, he does have that style I for one am looking forward to seeing him play.

Rainbow Warrior
Rainbow Warrior (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 12:12
I'm not going to get into any slanging with all the Warrior moaners on here, SO, "WELCOME TO THE CLUB JOSH", look forward to seeing you play for us next season, good luck on the house hunting too (folowing on twitter) thumbs down

jgmorgan100
The Mailman (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 12:14
The top 14 is a very strong competition, so if he's good enough to play in that (albeit as a reserve) at a very young age, then he could well be a good player in the making. The good thing is that he's played in England before, so hopefully the language and culture barrier won't be too difficult for him. Hopefully he can hit the ground running next season.

MESSAGES->author
Drutz (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 12:18
Mailman he was born in Camborne in Cornwall so whilst they have a colourful grip of English down there sure he will get by (Sm100)

Guerrier
Guerrier (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 12:46
And I believe he's played England U20's...

Guerrier
Guerrier (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 12:48

jgmorgan100
The Mailman (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 12:56
Quote:
Drutz
Mailman he was born in Camborne in Cornwall so whilst they have a colourful grip of English down there sure he will get by (Sm100)

I wouldn't be so sure Drutz. I knew a girl from Camborne. She was on a whole other planet!

MESSAGES->author
26 April, 2012 13:11
This guy has been spotted as having potential by Bath Academy, Exeter, England U20, Racing Metro, Fiji and now Hill?

With the right direction and environment this guy could be the muts nuts/real deal?

Let's get behind him and see what he can do?

MESSAGES->author
drifter (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 13:41
Hang on. so who needs a VISA?? or did it fall through?

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 13:55
The attacke Coach??

I played Army Rugby in the center with Fijians for 5 years and boy do they play well when in pairs.

I think along side fatiaki we will gave a truly devastating midfield (attack and defence)

JP

http://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1301047550961.gifhttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1301047550983.gifhttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1301047550983.gif http://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1301047550983.gifhttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1301047550983.gifhttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1301047550983.gifhttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1301047550983.gifhttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1301047550983.gifhttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1301047550961.gif

TVM Rides Again
26 April, 2012 14:03
Oooh, hello.....The old, chipper JP is back!

This is most welcome!

MESSAGES->author
Drutz (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 14:09
See all it takes to get John excited is a big Fijian and ...I will stop there as it sounded so much better in my head! (Sm124)

Old 7
Old 7 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 15:36
Quote:
The Mailman
The good thing is that he's played in England before, so hopefully the language and culture barrier won't be too difficult for him.

He's Cornish Mailman (and from Camborne at that!), so if he's anything like my in-laws from Redruth, the culture and language will be a huge problem.(Sm100)

Seriously though, the video looks very promising (imagine a Ras highlights video), lots of attacking flair and capable, but not Ras like defence.

MESSAGES->author
Pinhoe_Chief (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 16:03
Hope he goes well for you (clearly not against us). Liked him when he was with Chiefs, young, fast, good hands and can kick the ball quite some distance from hand. Tackling was a bit of an issue in that he was prone to south sea islander body slams (negative arms), but sure that he has matured by now. Plenty to offer and exciting to watch.

MESSAGES->author
26 April, 2012 16:18
He will have a great man to learn tackling technique from in the form of Mr P Larder MBE

[www.gosober.org.uk]

Young Warrior
Young Warrior (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 16:29
Does anyone else find it strange that it is not on the offy site yet?

dusty hare
dusty hare (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 16:47
People are referring constantly to the loss of Raz's defensive qualities but Grove is no mean tackler now. Surely he can lead the line defensively having played alongside Raz on many occasions. Especially as Larder will provide the continuity in coaching and the systems will be etched in the minds of the players around the "newbies" coming into the team.

MESSAGES->author
MagicJ_ (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 17:13
He's young and hopefully a quick learner, so shouldn't take too long to get the hang of knocking on, dropping the ball and spilling the ball in contact(Sm100)

Welcome Josh, a good signing to be honest and I'm sure will do a good job for the Warriors

MESSAGES->author
Master Warrior (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 17:24
Seems the actual signing of the contract has yet to take place, journo's saying that it's just a formality. Club are waiting for the ink to dry before they make it official on the offy.

MESSAGES->author
WarriorPhill (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 21:28
I've read all the comments, watched the clips, taken in the Exeter view, French view even the Bath view. I admit at first I thought we had been short changed as a replacement for Raz; but on balance he looks like a talent, he can tackle, he can smash a defence... lets just hope that him, Clarke, Grove, Fatiaki and Short get to play, distribute and score us some points!

Am I right in thinking we now have almost 2 opposing teams of 15 to pick from... that might even lead to great management and recruitment!

dogman
Dogman (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 13:43
Perhaps as a Cornishman he might insist on some decent pasties even if we have to pay the extra VAT(Sm160)

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 14:16
I'll have mine cold.

MESSAGES->author
28 April, 2012 11:12

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
29 April, 2012 12:21
Quote:
The Cornish born Fijian is a player who is capable of moments of brilliance, but also is quite error prone equally. He's the kind of player who makes an excellent break and then frustratingly throws a poor pass. However he's still only 21 and has plenty of time to cut out his errors and suspect tackling.

Hopefully it will be the latter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net