rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
Injuries
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:27
I thought some may find this interesting

http://www.sixwaysrugby.co.uk/Images/2016-17/Stats/InjuriesR13.jpg

That is a lot of unavailability

JP

"nunquam desistite, nunquam enim succumbet, nunquam vincar"

Villages12
Re: Injuries
Villages12 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:40
I asked the question. How many of these injuries are as a result of our new pitch. I have never received an answer but it's a bit coincidental isn't it ?

B-road
11 January, 2017 12:43
Quote:
Villages12
a bit coincidental isn't it ?

yes.

Seemed to me most occurred somewhere else or were HIAs

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:48
And injuries seem to be reflected in most other teams - although they appear to be handling it better.

Coincidence, nothing more.

rossi
Mr_Worcester (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 15:25
Quote:
KenDoddsDadsDogsDead
Quote:
Villages12
a bit coincidental isn't it ?

yes.

Seemed to me most occurred somewhere else or were HIAs

What he said. The vast majority of all the players on that list were injured away from sixways or had to take a few weeks out for HIA's, which is all down to the new concussion protocols.

rossi
Mr_Worcester (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 15:31
Also whilst I realise that this season has been tough on most clubs for injuries, that list really puts it into perspective. We've definitely had the worst injury situation in the league. It also includes all of our best players Te'o, Hougaard, Heem, Pennell, Potgieter etc.

I said it a few weeks ago, the injury excuse is used so much in sports that it's become a cliche that no one takes notice of. But when you look at that list I think there in lies most of our current predicament. If we'd had the majority of a full strength side from the start of the season we'd be a good few points better off that we are now, there's no doubt in my mind about that.

Having said that it doesn't gloss over our other problems such as the need for a DOR and a poor defence etc.

For Crying Out Loud!
11 January, 2017 15:52
Quote:
Mr_Worcester
If we'd had the majority of a full strength side from the start of the season we'd be a good few points better off that we are now.....

Using that logic then the opposition teams would also have the majority of their full strength teams available and would thus be harder to beat, so it is hard to see where those points would come from. Worcester's injury list is pretty much par for the course for modern premiership squads.

As the game gets faster and harder it takes longer to get injured players back to fitness. In addition the head injury concerns quite rightly add to the injury lists of all teams in the interests of player safety. Pinning your hopes on having all of your best players available at all times really is clutching at straws. It isn't going to happen.

Wensleydale Falcon
Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 18:43
Every team has its injury issues and that why it is important to have the right quality and the depth of a squad to combat this. We have had major injury issues this season and at one count we had about 17 players unavailable through injury.

Out of these, 9/10 would normally have been in the matchday 23.

The difference for us this season is the fact that we have more depth than we have had for many seasons and the players who have stepped up have been outstanding.

There is now massive competition for the starting Jersey and I can honestly say I would really struggle to pick my best starting 23 whereas in previous seasons this has been very easy to do.

Confidence and momentum is absolutely key (as we are starting to see at KP) and at the moment Bristol appear to have the upper hand at the bottom. However as we all know sport does funny things and you only need a couple of results and the whole season could change for you.

Keep the faith and most importantly get behind your club!!

Maul Master
Maul Master (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 19:20
Add to this the amount of time Teo has been away due to international duty. For the amount the club have spent on him it hasn't added any value whereas a top fly half may have done.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 20:59
Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon
We have had major injury issues this season and at one count we had about 17 players unavailable through injury.
Out of these, 9/10 would normally have been in the matchday 23.

I think a month or two ago we were able to make a full 23 out of the injured in our senior squad, in their correct positions. We even had back-ups in several positions who were also out injured. Probably a majority of the 23 would have been first choice.

We have had 60 players turn out for our first team across competitions this season. We've even had our 5th choice 9 and 10, both of whom were only signed half way through the season, on the park at one point.

There is no way a team like us can remain competitive in the Prem with that level of injuries, it is simply unrealistic to expect us to have that sort of strength in depth, given our recent history and league position.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 22:13
I think the thing with us is the length and position of our injured players.

Out three scrum halfs have all been out for months. Our our three fly halfs have also been our for months. That meant Shillcock had to be fast tracked and play there far more than I imagine the coaching staff will have wanted. For the first time on Saturday he crumbled.

As BB says we simply cannot compete with those sorts of injuries to key positions. With our first choice, or even 2nd choice 9 and 10 we'd be competitive. But with our fourth/fifth choice 9 and 10 we will struggle and understandably so.

MESSAGES->author
11 January, 2017 22:31
I disagree that he crumbled he did pretty damn good. Just remember he was being swamped by all the bad tackling in front of him.

He kept his head, was calm and still thinking, he had some pretty good link ups as well.

JP

shrewsburyman
shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 23:39
I agree JP. I was at the match and apart from one sliced clearance he was OK given the poor cover and missed tackles.

Hallowed Warrior
Hallowed Warrior (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 22:13
Any updates on GJ - I think we miss his understated leadership. It can't be looking good for him with this length of time out for HIA?

Injuries in key decision making positions 2,8,9 and 10 have cost us this season and weakened the teams on field leadership.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 22:19
Quote:
Maul Master
Add to this the amount of time Teo has been away due to international duty. For the amount the club have spent on him it hasn't added any value whereas a top fly half may have done.

Well yes, of course a top 10 would have been great, but it isn't just about money.

We're not short of money, we are short of pulling power.

Tell me which top 10 would have been willing to come, money no object.

MESSAGES->author
12 January, 2017 22:48
How much pulling power has Te'o had? He's never here.

JP

WorcesterSauce
12 January, 2017 23:13
Same as hougaard

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 06:56
Well if you believe rumour priestland was, we just didn't want to pay.

MESSAGES->author
13 January, 2017 08:03
Absolutely WS, but it was not his fault, he has earnt his time away and he hasn't slagged off the club, its board, its coaches and its organisation.

JP

WorcesterSauce
13 January, 2017 08:53
True. The only thing that annoyed me abou hougard was when he was tweeting of him having a great time in miami during the bristol loss.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 08:58
Quote:
Faithful_City
How much pulling power has Te'o had? He's never here.
JP

I was looking at it t'other way round.

The club's lack of pulling power to attract top players. Which Jim freely admitted was a problem. Not that we needed to be told.

MESSAGES->author
13 January, 2017 09:36
Ah, understood TT

That could all be sorted out by large'ish investment in an massively respected DoR, because the names Worcester, Hogg, Johnson, Cross, O'Toole, Warriors, Allen don't mean a lot rugby wise - yet!

JP

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 11:21
Indeed, only problem being that our lack of attraction to players probably also extends to DoR's.

Or as the pedants might prefer. D's o R

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 11:34
No, you are wrong....we are the rugby playing nucleus of the Prem, and given half a chance could out move any club to the signature of world class players and D's o R. We just choose not to do it.

Must go, Nurse and and some Med staff with a buckled white jacket appear to be approaching menacingly.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 20:31
You'll be OK as long as they don't try to @#$%& your boil.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
14 January, 2017 01:00
Quote:
TeflonTed

Not convinced about that (might depend on whether it is an initialism or an acronym?) but, either way, pretty sure a pedant wouldn't use an apostrophe?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
14 January, 2017 10:40
Quote:
Abberley
Quote:
TeflonTed

Not convinced about that (might depend on whether it is an initialism or an acronym?) but, either way, pretty sure a pedant wouldn't use an apostrophe?

Quite right. Carried away by my uncertainty I completely ignored the fact that since it's a plural there shouldn't be an apostrophe anywhere near it in either case.

Mea Culpa.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
14 January, 2017 13:01
Back O/T:

Quote:
New Scientist

Concussed athletes more likely to injure their legs months later

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Worcester Warriors Poll

Do you want MOTM Polls

See results > Submit >>