rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
Wayne Barnes and the 100 minute match
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 09:28
Shambles or calmly dealing with difficult situation?

French outright cheats on prop "Head Injury"?

Penalty try should have been awarded after 3 indentical offences in red zone?

Will Wayne ever live it down?, does he need to?

What do we think? I'm confused.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/03/2017 09:29 by TeflonTed.

Besford Warrior
Re: Wayne Barnes and the 100 minute match
Besford Warrior (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 09:38
Wayne Barnes - kept his cool under severe pressure, stuck with the rules despite "gamesmanship" and incompetent 4th Official, might have awarded a penalty try but was vindicated by eventual outcome. He will probably be criticised by both sides and the press but to my mind he did his job.

LiveInHope
LiveInHope (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 09:40
It was a terrible performance.
Strange prop/head-knock issue. In play before Barnes repeatedly asked prop are you ok.
Thought the Welsh played him very well throughout the game, baffled how the Welsh got him to change his mind on viewing TMO Yellow Card, then some of the strange scrum decisions, topped off with the non-penalty-try.

Thought couple of years ago Barnes was terrible, all about him, not the game & killing game with time & strange decisions.
Lately thought he had vastly improved, but yesterday was back to old Barnes.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 10:10
I think at the end, he did the only thing he could have.

The only place he got it wrong were the deliberate knock-ons. Jonathon Davies's was a clear deliberate knock-on and a definate yellow card. The french fella was not even looking at the ball or the player in posession. Head was turned away to make the tackle, I thought it was accidental. Let the Welsh into a game that they were clinging onto with their finger nails.

LiveInHope
LiveInHope (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 10:57
The debate will go on.
I am told The French have never really warmed to Barnes, now they are positively cold if not freezing.
It maybe remembered as the "French cheating prop game" rather than "Barnes, why no penalty try game?"
Both sides will see it different, but if Wales had won, I would be have been with the French feeling wronged.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 15:23
He made three shocking discussions for me. The French deliberate knock on was in the act of making a tackle. If it's deliberate it's a penalty try surely. The welsh deliberate knock on was clear and obvious but didn't even refer it. Why on earth would you check one but not the other. Then he bottled giving a penalty try about seventeen times at the end of the game. i rate him as a very good ref but he had a shocker for me which very nearly handed the game to Wales.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 15:49
A penalty try can only be given if a try was highly probable if the offense had not taken place, I don't think it was probable.

I thought he did a great job of not giving to the enormous pressure to end the game.

I agree with WS on the intentional knock on' sand I also felt he favored the Welsh throughout the game.

JP

http://www.sixwaysrugby.co.uk/Images/fortress.jpg

"nunquam desistite, nunquam enim succumbet, nunquam vincar"

Click the Link below to:

Come on You Warriors - ACORNS - Just Giving

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 17:46
Don't think there were any "Travesties" yesterday and the best sides all won across the day.

I think Wales were probably the biggest disappointment for me this year, and. but for "getting lucky" with that disallowed Irish try in their previous game, I think the cull would have already started in the principality.

Little Mazda 3
Kilgore Trout (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 18:32
Barnes is the salt of the earth and he's always good to his dear old mum.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 18:59
thanks JP for explaining why he couldn't give a penalty try.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 22:24
'Highly probable' is pretty subjective. North in my opinion is 100% in and the French winger at least 80% but you'd expect an international winger to finish nine times out of ten from there. So they seem highly probable to me. Had the French front row not transgressed France would 100% have scored at least two push over tries in the third half. So in my view he's got at least two of those three wrong.

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:41
Quote:
French lock, Yoann Maestri
“He (Barnes) told us we were not dominant enough."

“Anglo-Saxon referees always talk about fair play but the reality is that they think we’re cheats.

“When you are repeatedly crushed in a five-metre scrum, you concede defeat,”

“There’s a complicity between Anglo Saxons and it is in these moments that you realise it. It was unbelievable.”

It gets worse, Maestri has questioned the integrity of Wayne Barnes!

Sutton Warrior
Sutton Warrior (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 14:00
I thought Barnes did what he could in masking his frustration at the whole thing. He obviously thought the french doctor was lying - asking a medic on live television whether in his opinion as a doctor the guy needed to go off evidences his doubt and is all he could do short of calling the guy a liar.

In the knock on issues - such things have been given 0 certainly yellow cards if not PTs. I thought they were both deliberate but there was more debate over the french one.

On the final 20 minutes - which one of those scrums was going to result in a try being scored but for the infringement by Wales - none of them? Did they repeatedly infringe - yes; Was Lee rightly yellow carded - oh yes ( and I am sure he was shocked to have to trundle back on)?

In the end france did score which is better in every way than an arguable PT

Maestri - when you have nothing worth saying, say nothing

B-road
20 March, 2017 14:06
The reason it went so long was persistent welsh infringment.

So, I think he should have yellow-carded the Welsh a bit quicker. Other than that, he can't really be blamed.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 15:55
Not sure what else Barnes could have done and the flack he got after the match has been very unfair in my opinion. Barnes is not medically qualified to overrule a doctor, if the doctor is caught lying he will be treated like the Quins medic during bloodgate and struck off.

As for the game itself it could have ended earlier if the French had taken 3 points during normal time when they had a penalty in front of the posts and then they could have kicked any one of the numerous penalties they won in added time to seal the victory, it was just bad game management from the French. Despite the repeated penalties at the scrum during the added time the French were hardly moving forward towards the try line.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 16:28
Any news on North's arm?

Has a forensic dental examiner been summoned to decide if he tried to get the Frenchman sent off by biting himself as inferred by M Noves?

Downleaze
Downleaze (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 21:36
Wayne must be your favourite referee, gives you Penalty Tries

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net