rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

vigorniensis
Warburton as Lions's captain
vigorniensis (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 10:20

MESSAGES->author
Re: Warburton as Lions's captain
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 11:09
Article also suggests that Gats does not share Eddie's liking of Naughty Dylan.

Well, we'll know in 50 minutes.

MESSAGES->author
drifter (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 11:57
teo a lion

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 11:58
even though not announced yet?

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:08
It's official! He's in!!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:10
BACKS: Biggar, Daly, J Davies, Farrell, Halfpenny, Henshaw, Hogg, Joseph, Murray, North, Nowell, Payne, Sexton, Seymour, Te'o, Watson, Webb, L Williams, Youngs.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:12
FORWARDS: Best, Cole, Faletau, Furlong, George, Henderson, Itoje, AW Jones, Kruis, Lawes, Marler, McGrath, Moriarty, O'Brien, O'Mahony, Owens, Sinckler, Stander, Tipuric, M Vunipola, B Vunipola, Warburton

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:22
Sorry, I thought I was listening to the Eurovision Song contest voting results.

12 welshmen, really ? can't believe Gatland has left Roberts out.

jgmorgan100
The Mailman (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:22
Watson lucky to go. A poor man's Perry Humphreys ;-)

Glad Teo is in!

MESSAGES->author
Skipper (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:27
George over Hartley would be my call as well, I think George is the better hooker out of the two.

AW Jones is not good enough, so many better players to choose from imo.

I would of picked Launchbury over Lawes or AW Jones.

I would of opted for Best or O'Mahony as captain. I guess that he has stuck with who he already has strong a relationship with which is understandable.

A shame not to see Finn Russell in there.

tapngo
tapngo (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:30
How halfpenny and Watson are on the plane I will never know. Think it's a shame that lauchbury has been left out

rossi
Mr_Worcester (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:35
Alun Wynn Jones should not be anywhere near the lions squad, he is way past his best and Launchbury is a infinitely better option. Either of the gray brothers as well.

There's defintely some Welsh favouritism in this squad. It seems a shame that Gatland couldnt avoid that. Wales finished 5th out of 6!!

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 12:50
How can a team currently ranked 8th in the world provide 12 British Lions.
Yes, admittedly some great players in their day but some clearly past their sell by.

vigorniensis
vigorniensis (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 13:14
Seems incomprehensible that you would leave out a captain with experience of leading their team to some 18 consecutive wins, and whose record on throw-ins is pretty well incomparable.

Eddie Jones believes his skipper played better during the successful Six Nations campaign than he did during the autumn internationals last year, when England beat South Africa, Australia, Fiji and Argentina. That's good enough for me, but not, apparently, for Gatland. Unbelievable.

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 15:06
Let's face it, if Gatland wasn't head coach Warburton would not be captain and there wouldn't be anywhere near the number of Welsh going that are.

Malvern Man
Malvern Man (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 16:25
And the Lions would have a better chance of winning.

TVM Rides Again....Again
19 April, 2017 16:54
12 Welshmen seems way OTT

But going through it player by player I think I'd probably take 9 of them. Certainly 7 (in likelihood 8).

So it's not all that wild.

Halfpenny, AWJ and Jonathan Davies would be my definite leave behinds. Unthinkable 4 years ago....maybe that's the problem.

BronsonWarrior
BronsonWarrior (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 17:22
I don't think 12 is OTT. The perpective that's kinda needed is no-one is stating very many of those 12 are in reality going to be the Test XV. North almost certainly, Halfpenny probably (sorry, for my money he is still the best all round 15 from the NH, though Hogg runs him close these days), and Warburton, but that's about it. The Test XV should, and will, lean on England players heavily, with a sprinkling of others. I'm expecting it to be (barring injuries)

Cole
Best
Marler
Itoje
Kruis
Warburton
Vunipola
O'Mahony

Murray
Sexton

North
Daly
Henshaw
Nowell

Halfpenny

TVM Rides Again....Again
19 April, 2017 18:05
I cant agree on many counts I'm afraid BW

Halfpenny's form is poor and has been since his injury, he isn't the player he was offensively or from the tee - on the basis that Sexton or Farrell are the likely starters the tee doesn't matter - and so I'll be taking Hogg for his much better attacking record.

He is getting by on reputation - which is sad as he was remarkable.

North is another working purely on reputation. He is FAR from a shoe in. Were it not for GLIMMERS of the old George North at the end of the six nations I'd question whether he should even be on the plane.

I am not saying he won't play himself in, but when he is up against the likes of Nowell, Williams and Daly - all of whose form has been scintillating.......a shoe in he aint.

Warburton granted yes, but that said his rejuvenation came through being unburdened of captaincy....

My XV would probably be

1. Marler
2. Owens
3. Cole
4. Itoje
5. Kruis
6. O'Mahoney
7. Warburton
8. Vunipola

9. Murray
10. Sexton

11. Williams
12. Henshaw
13. Joseph
14. Daly
15. Hogg

I'm possibly looking through 'rose' tinted glasses though

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 18:34
I think you're both making pretty good points, but BW has it on points re. the difference between the test side and t'others.

Can't see why Gatts wants to break so many of his Taffs personally!!

Am I the only non~English supporter who is not unhappy to see Hartley dropped...not only is he starting to look past his sell-by date but he's too easy to wind up, particularly in the country of his birth.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 18:45
Halfpenny should be nowhere near the squad let alone the starting 15. He is there on reputation, as is AWJ.

Everyone is assuming Sexton will be FH, yet Farrell was one of the players of the six nations (he won't start at 12). Farrell is also arguably the best goal kicker in world rugby. He's FH for me.

Hogg FB for me with Watson and Williams on the wings unless North finds some form. Teo and Davies in the centres.

Seven warm up games though, plenty can happen.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 21:49
Personally, I think Finn Russell is unlucky not to be one of the two 10s and Biggar rather lucky: I'm not sure he's even the best fly half in Swansea at the moment, let alone Wales.

I'm also not sure that Halfpenny deserves to go, especially with Farrell and Sexton as kickers.

I'm not surprised that Roberts isn't going but I am that J Davies is: if I was looking to take a Welsh centre S Williams would be the one I'd go for.

I'm not surprised that Hartley isn't going, especially when so many pundits and ex-players are saying that George is a better hooker. I don't think he fits Gatland's idea of a captain either, so what he has done for England doesn't really help much.

I think the only reason Watson is going is because he can also cover 15: if it was simply as a wing I think Jonny May would be a better bet.

Warburton as captain isn't a surprise: Gatland obviously liked what he saw last time out in terms of how he pulled together and led a disparate group of players. With him getting back to his best as a player he was always favourite.

I can see why some would question the number of Welsh players in the squad and personally I would have taken 2 fewer, but at least Gats hasn't favoured his own team as much as SCW did. One of the reasons for taking 12 might be because he knows how well they are likely to fit in to the Lions dynamic: he might also be more confident that they will prepared to lead the mid-week team than some of the players for the other nations.

Edit: thanks to usa for pointing out that what I'd posted wasn't what I intended, as the original didn't make sense.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2017 22:02 by Brummagem Bertie.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 21:58
"I'm not surprised that Roberts is going but I am that J Davies is:"

Roberts isn't going BB.

Brummagem Bertie
19 April, 2017 22:03
Thanks usa, I had meant to say I wasn't surprised Roberts wasn't going.

TVM Rides Again....Again
19 April, 2017 22:07
I presume BB means isn't.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 22:07
Ahhh.. makes sense.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 22:10
That isn't my coat wasn't it?

Whose boots are those shoes?

It's Cardiff-itis.

Brummagem Bertie
19 April, 2017 23:35
Quote:
TeflonTed
That isn't my coat wasn't it?
Whose boots are those shoes?

It's Cardiff-itis.

Noooooooooooooooooooo! You can be so hurtful at times. (Sm40)

West is best!!

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 09:16
Warburton is a good choice. He holds the respect of every international player. Was back to playing his best rugby. Other choices (Best - lineout throwing is poor; Laidlaw - never going to start; AWJ - will have to really fight for his place, and Wales finished poorly; Hartley - Best English captain, but George is the better hooker).

I think Hogg is likely to be the test 15. Halfpenny kicking for the midweek team.

For me Sexton has to start at Flyhalf. Then it will either be Farrell on the bench, or a Farrell-Te'o midfield.

I am staggered that Joseph is on the plane. He has a blinder every 4th or 5th game,and standard fayer for the others. I hope Davies recovers some form as he can be a devastatingly good 13 (but currently also lucky to be on the plane).

I cannot fathom how Launchbury got left behind. He is playing the best rugby of his career and is the form 2nd row of the NH. I would still have a sneaky bet on him starting a test!

I also have a sneaky suspicion that Ben will get to be a test lion at either 12 or 13.

As ever, there is usually a replacement who gets to play some pivotal role in the tour. Last time it was Corbisiero. This time my money is on Launchbury.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 09:19
At school in Swansea we used to take the mick out of any Caerdyddians by practising the sentence

"I paaaarked my caaaar in Caaaariff Aaaaarms Paaaark"

Still sound awful, can't think why they believe they're posh.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net