rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

AJWarriors
England tour
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 18:53
Now that the Lions squad has been confirmed who do you think will get called up for the England tour of Argentina? Not sure how big the squad will be? Say it's 41 same as the Lions I'd go for:

Props

Val Ruskin
Ellis Genge
Matt Mullan

Kieran Brookes
Paul Hill
Nick

Hookers

Dylan Hartley
Tommy Taylor
Luke Cowan-Dickie

Locks

Will Spencer
Joe Launchbury
Charlie Ewells
Dave Atwood
Dom Barrow

Back Row

Sam Underhill
James Haskell
Teimana Harrison
Chris Robshaw
Mike Williams
Dave Ewers

No.8

Nathan Hughes
Josh Beaumont

Scrum Half

Dan Robson
Joe Simpson
Ben Spencer

Fly Half

George Ford
Henry Slade
Alex Lozowski

Centre

Sam James
Nick Tomkins
Harry Mallinder
Ollie Devoto
Sam Hill

Wing

Jonny May
Christian Wade
Denny Solomona
Marland Yarde
Semisa Rokoduguni

Full Back

Alex Goode
Mike Haley

WorcesterSauce
Re: England tour
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 18:57
They need to sort the residency rule our ASAP. How is solomona in any way english?

More excited by this tour than the Lions. Lions tour is a good excuse to go to the pub at 8am but ultimately i dont get the hype over it.

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 19:00
Solomona isn't qualified until 2018 I think

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 19:03
I think he is now isn't he Solomona? I'll check

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 19:04
Quote:
Powick Eastander
Solomona isn't qualified until 2018 I think

He's eligible now PE [www.google.co.uk]

GoofyWarrior
GoofyWarrior (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 19:28
Would it be as many as 41 players for just two tests ?
In which case ;

Props
Ellis Genge
Matt Mullan
Val Ruskin

Kieran Brookes
Nick Schonert
Paul Hill

Hookers
Dylan Hartley
Tommy Taylor
Luke Cowan-Dickie

Locks
Will Spencer
Joe Launchbury
Dave Atwood
Dom Barrow
Charlie Ewells

Back Row
James Haskell
Teimana Harrison
Chris Robshaw
Mike Williams
Dave Ewers
Sam Underhill

No.8
Nathan Hughes
Josh Beaumont

Scrum Half
Danny Care
Dan Robson
Joe Simpson
Ben Spencer

Fly Half
George Ford
Danny Cipriani
Alex Lozowski

Centre
Henry Slade
Harry Mallinder
Ollie Devoto
Sam Hill
Nick Tomkins
Sam James

Wing
Jonny May
Christian Wade
Denny Solomona
Semisa Rokoduguni
Marland Yarde

Full Back
Alex Goode
Mike Haley

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 19:51
[quote WorcesterSauce]They need to sort the residency rule our ASAP. How is solomona in any way English?/quote]

He's as English as The Vunipola's or Hartley, or as Welsh as George North.

''tis the rules , the way of the world!

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 20:57
It's a bit harsh, comparing North to Solomona or even the others, TT.

At least George has a Welsh mother and has lived in Wales since he was 2.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Trent_Blue
Trent_Blue (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 21:06
Expect Sam Underhill and Luke Wallace to go as flankers.

thatguythere
thatguythere (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 21:11
RVV gets in ahead of mullan. Ribban stands a chance of a second row spot. Jackson wray also gets a spot IMO. Can't see cipriani going, think he'll take just 2 tens and have slade cover 2 positions leaving room for a more physical centre that Jones likes. Apart from that I agree, can't wait for this summer! I'd like to see zac mercer in there maybe, possibly for underhill? Be surprised if he got straight in

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 21:14
Let's not forget Ben Teo, Nick Schonert and Val Rupava Ruskin within our own ranks also benefiting by these rules. Solomana played League here for at least 2-3 years before code switching look at England.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 22:06
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
It's a bit harsh, comparing North to Solomona or even the others, TT.
At least George has a Welsh mother and has lived in Wales since he was 2.

Yes, but I'm exaggerating to make the point. And pointing out that George is not totally Welsh before someone else does!!

TVM Rides Again....Again
19 April, 2017 22:11
[quote TeflonTed][quote WorcesterSauce]They need to sort the residency rule our ASAP. How is solomona in any way English?/quote]

''tis the rules , the way of the world![/quote]

The Vunipola's sound English enough, despite their Welsh upbringing....

and AJ - there will be many fewer than 41 tourists, nothing like the Lions workload

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 22:21
TVM, to my finely tuned Swansea Valley ear, Billy sounds English enough, but Mako is still quite clearly Sourh Wales, like his old mate and ex-club colleague Talupe....another fine Welshman (ish)

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 23:01
[quote TVM Rides Again....Again][quote TeflonTed][quote WorcesterSauce]They need to sort the residency rule our ASAP. How is solomona in any way English?/quote]

''tis the rules , the way of the world![/quote]

The Vunipola's sound English enough, despite their Welsh upbringing....

and AJ - there will be many fewer than 41 tourists, nothing like the Lions workload[/quote]

I know mate just threw a number in there. No idea how big the squad will be but it shows just how good our depth is with other youngsters coming through too

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 23:04
Some great choices AJ, though as others have said I think EJ will take fewer players. 32 went last time and that included a midweek game. I'd say 30ish would be about right. That's a match day 23 and then players on form/younger players brought into camp.

My starting team would be:
Haley, Wade, James, Slade, May, Lozowski, Robson; Genge, Taylor, Hill, Launchbury, Spencer, Ewers, Harrison, Hughes

I think EJ's team will be:
Brown, Rokoduguni, Marchant, Slade, May, Ford, Care; Genge, Hartley, Hill, Launchbury, Ewels, Robshaw, Harrison, Hughes

I'd tell Brown, Ford, Robshaw, Care, and Hartley to have the summer off. They've been on the treadmill for a long time and a rest would do them all good. I think EJ will play them though, and I suppose that'll keep them sharper for the Lions in case of injury.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 23:07
I forgot Merchant!

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 23:27
Just seen Solomona has got a cap for Samoa in rugby league, but is new zealand born and raised. The very fact that he's played for a Samoa in league should mean he can't now switch countries IMO.

IMO you should need at least one parent or 10 year residency to qualify. 3 years is nothing and devalues the international game. To be fair to the vunipolas they moved to england (after a short stint in wales) fair early on.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 00:09
Teo also played league for Samoa.

TVM Rides Again....Again
20 April, 2017 08:44
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Just seen Solomona has got a cap for Samoa in rugby league, but is new zealand born and raised. The very fact that he's played for a Samoa in league should mean he can't now switch countries IMO.
IMO you should need at least one parent or 10 year residency to qualify. 3 years is nothing and devalues the international game. To be fair to the vunipolas they moved to england (after a short stint in wales) fair early on.

I think that last point encapsulates it - heritage doesn't REALLY matter in my opinion, George North and Taulupe Faletau being cases in point, - having lived in Wales from the ages of 2 and 7 respectively, who am I to say they aren't Welsh?

If you have lived somewhere long enough to feel part of it...that should be good enough.

The trouble is in a cynical modern era where someone like Joe Rooney just wants to play international rugby, and doesn't massively care who for....maybe a parental rule of a longer period of residency is the answer.

The trouble is as interested by standers we have the luxury of being romantic about it!

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 08:54
Quote:
TeflonTed
TVM, to my finely tuned Swansea Valley ear, Billy sounds English enough, but Mako is still quite clearly Sourh Wales, like his old mate and ex-club colleague Talupe....another fine Welshman (ish)
The Vunipola's and Faleteu are cousins.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 09:01
Sauce and TVM, I think that's spot on between you.

Residency should be longer ( there are mumbling that Pichot wants it to be 5yrs short term), grandparents shouldn't count.

As for league crossovers, I mind less. For me it's such a different game.

thatguythere
thatguythere (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 10:17
Well that's a bit of a shock squad IMO. Looking forward to seeing the curry Twins the most. Any watched piers Francis before? Really shocked at that

Sutton Warrior
Sutton Warrior (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 13:04
What does Wade need to do to get a game?

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 13:17
Wade needs to be able to defend.

Wade this season, Varndell in the history books, are both great going at pace forward. Turn them on their heels and in International and Prem terms, they are both not so good.

At the top, the team needs 15 attackers and 15 defenders, all in 15 paying shirts.

That's my slant on Wade's omission anyway.

Plus, the Puma's will be pretty uncompromising in their playing style. Might need brute force to be met with brute force.

tapngo
tapngo (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 14:17
When is there a Saxons tour? What does schonert need to do to get picked. He's been so consistent

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Worcester Warriors Poll

Do you want MOTM Polls

See results > Submit >>