rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

WorcesterSauce
Why are we suddenly taking the Challenge Cup seriously next season?
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 13:30
Here's why:

[bit.ly]

An excellent and logical move that should have always been the case. Gives the competition some real meaning for clubs like us.

Ronster
Re: Why are we suddenly taking the Challenge Cup seriously next season?
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 14:01
Hmm. Would have thought that we might have kept a slightly larger squad in order to compete fully in this. Can't see our smaller squad playing every single match!!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 14:05
Still heavily stacked towards the French clubs and Pro 12 due to Salary Cap and no relegation. That said, Quins and Glaws have ensured representation in the final for the last few seasons, so it is possible.

I'm sure Gold plans to take it more seriously anyway, with the new ethic he is trying to instill in the squad.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 14:41
Winning it is a back way into the Champions Cup aswell.

warrioroli
WarriorOllie (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 14:58
We don't have the squad to take it seriously. I know folks will shout wendyball at me but look at Manchester united this season, it's one or the other.

We should continue to focus on the league and give the young lads their chance in the European competition.

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 15:07
WO, I disagree. It all depends who we draw in the group phases, especially now the PRO-12 is getting rid of that nonsense 1 team from each country rule. While the French do have more money, getting in the same group as the 10th-11th-12th placed French club is a winnable game, especially as they often send weaker teams away.

If our group gave us a reasonable chance of finishing top 2, I would expect us to take it seriously.

While Front Line players will need a break (DOC, Sharky etc), we should still have enough strength in depth to beat the weaker teams if we play a few more of the 1st XV than we did last year.

I'd like the club to take it more seriously and they really ought to if they want supporters to turn up and watch these games. Hopefully GG agrees.

Touchliner
Touchliner (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 15:19
Quote:
Drahm for England
.....getting in the same group as the 10th-11th-12th placed French club is a winnable game.....

Toulouse are the 12th placed team - we will be happy to win that one!!

GoofyWarrior
GoofyWarrior (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 15:25
Don't get why our players need more rest than others ?

Ask Owen Farrell if he feels rested after The autumn internationals, Aviva Premiership, Six Nations, England Training, European Championship, Premiership play-offs and then a Lions tour.

Not being available for your club doesn't mean that you're being rested and yet teams like Saracens, Wasps, Exeter, Gloucester seem to have 'coped'.

The squad reduction is a choice, hopefully one which lives salary available for some further recruitment, I don't see any reason at all why Warriors wouldn't be targeting every single game next season irrespective of the competition. As is mentioned above, don't the fans deserve this ? Isn't that what GG's mentality is all about ?

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 15:55
We have made the final twice already, against Pau and Glaws.

JP

Sorry Auch and Bath!

Sale played Pau before our game and we played Bath at Gloucester(understandable mistakes for an old man)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2017 16:21 by Faithful_City.

WorcesterSauce
18 May, 2017 16:13
Quote:
Faithful_City
JP

Think you're getting quite confused here JP. Think you may be mistaking Pau for Auch, who beat us in the now completely different 3rd tier european competition back in 2005 in Oxford. We also have never played Gloucester in the final either. We played Bath at Kingsholm in 2009 and lost.

As for qualifying. There is no reason we can't. To be honest, we have been embarrassing in this competition for a long, long time. We had one of the easier groups this season and got nowhere near qualifying. I agree with GoofyWarrior, why do we need more rest than other teams? Now this is a route to the champions cup we should be going it in this. Toulouse finished 12th in the top 14 for a reason and especially away from home (as with every french club) will be beatable. To be honest, we should never have lost to Enesie, or Brive (x2) this season IMO.

MESSAGES->author
18 May, 2017 16:18
You are dead right WS put it down to an age thing. However it was still the 2nd level of European completion even if the teams and rules have changed.

With a better quality and deeper squad there is no reason why we can't target the comp and have a go. Remember success breads success which could keep us fired up for the prem and competition for the respective shirts.

JP

Little Mazda 2
Reggie's Ghost (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 16:24
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Quote:
Faithful_City
JP

Think you're getting quite confused here JP. Think you may be mistaking Pau for Auch, who beat us in the now completely different 3rd tier european competition back in 2005 in Oxford.

I remember we went down in about 10 coaches which for some reason went through the Blackbird Leys esate.

WorcesterSauce
18 May, 2017 16:33
Quote:
Faithful_City
You are dead right WS put it down to an age thing. However it was still the 2nd level of European completion even if the teams and rules have changed.
JP

Hate to be pedantic but it was the third tier. Brive had knocked us out of the second tier earlier that season (the second tier of european rugby at this stage was knock out, rather than groups) and we were subsequently put in to shield. Sale played a french side In the second tier european cup final an hour before us at the Kassam - not that any of it matters.

MESSAGES->author
18 May, 2017 16:44
Correct the played Pau

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 16:45
At the unprecedented risk of agreeing with Saucie twice in a week - that's how I remember it too

MESSAGES->author
Pompey Warrior (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 21:18
Being pedantic, the final vs Bath at Kingsholm was in 2008 (I only know because I should've been revising for my uni Finals!).

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 22:15
The game we should have won had Christoph Berdon not missed a blatant pull back by Lee Mears....but who did he pull back?.

MESSAGES->author
Pompey Warrior (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 22:19
Shane Drahm

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 22:24
Thought it was Benjamin.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 22:57
Shane Drahm I believe

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 23:03
What's interesting is that, although the winner of the Challenge Cup qualifies for the Champions Cup, I can't see any mention of the Champions Cup winner qualifying automatically.

Obviously it's highly unlikely that the winner wouldn't qualify via their league position, but there is still a chance of it happening (think Liverpool after their 2005 Champions League win).

WorcesterSauce
18 May, 2017 23:07
Good point, also, whereas it mentions that if the winner has already qualified via their league position the champions cup place will be given to the other finalist, it doesn't mention what happens if they too have qualified via their league position.

The rule change to the Pro 12 qualification process will also mean we get 2 italians in the challenge cup every year.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 23:35
That's also true, WS. I wonder what they'd do in that scenario.

What they should have done is to create a hierarchy for Champions Cup spots. If number 1 qualifies via league position, number 2 gets their spot in next season's CC (and so on):

1. Champions Cup winner
2. Champions Cup runner-up
3. Challenge Cup winner
4. Challenge Cup runner-up
5. Give it to Worcester

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 23:54
Playing Italian teams is no gimme for us.Remember Zebre?

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 09:16
Not sure why Pro 12 should get so much advantage in terms of qualification to Champ Cup. It's a lucrative cash cow for the teams who get into it. Our income levels would certainly change if we knew 7th would ensure qualification. There is no risk in that league, yet a significant benefit financially if you finish 30 points behind the table topping club.

Not even sure the winners of the ECC should get a spot, but as alluded to elsewhere, in Football, Manchester United have put all their 'commercial and financial eggs' into the Winning of the Europe League to get a Champions League place next year, as it is on offer.

Completely taken their eye off gaining a place to qualify by position in their league. Big gamble, particularly with a 20mill reduction in sponsorship from Adidas if they fail to qualify for the second season in a row.

MESSAGES->author
ARFC Warrior (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 19:06
Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Why we should be suddenly taking.......". I haven't seen anything from the Warriors to say that they are going to change previous seasons' approach.

WorcesterSauce
19 May, 2017 19:29
Gary Gold has specifically said he wants to win the tournament next season ARFC. In the same interview he also said the LV Cup would be used as development.

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 19:35
Quote:
ARFC Warrior
Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Why we should be suddenly taking.......". I haven't seen anything from the Warriors to say that they are going to change previous seasons' approach.

JoT in Zebre the other season said 2nd string at best, GG at the platinum session, said he was going to take Europe seriously- hopefully the latter prevails next season. I think it will depend on how well we are doing in the league after the first tranche of matches.

MESSAGES->author
ARFC Warrior (IP Logged)
20 May, 2017 08:47
Quote:
Garym
Quote:
ARFC Warrior

JoT in Zebre the other season said 2nd string at best, GG at the platinum session, said he was going to take Europe seriously- hopefully the latter prevails next season. I think it will depend on how well we are doing in the league after the first tranche of matches.

Not being a platinum season ticket holder, only having a lowly silver ticket, I missed that. (Sm100)

Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Gary Gold has specifically said he wants to win the tournament next season ARFC. In the same interview he also said the LV Cup would be used as development.

Also missed that, unless it was the platinum session Gary referred to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net