rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
WorcesterSauce
Injuries
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 17:47
A lot of them including Mama out for the season (apparently.

usa warrior
Re: Injuries
usa warrior (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 18:03
Is ACL a season long injury?

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 18:10
Apparently David Denton's injury was in the ICL rather than ACL area, though it's not clear yet what the injury is. Scan Monday.

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 18:12
I count Denton, Kerrod, Baldwin and Potgieter. Waller and Schonert also pulled out before the game.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 20:50
Not good news. Last years fitness team got some criticism for the injuries early doors. Seems many players have bulked up. Hopefully this situation won't get worse.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 21:32
Denton was the quickest injury ever, although the clock stopped at 48 sec, he was down well before that, and he knew he'd done something serious, he was thumping the ground in frustration.

As has been said, he told enquirers that it was a suspected ICL, but will be scanned on Monday.

Let's hope the initial diagnosis is over-cautious.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 21:37
Yup, even beat Ezra Taylor - and that's going some!

MSR-Worcester
14 August, 2017 10:11
So walking wounded:
David Denton - ICL, unknown
Simon Kerrod - Groin, unknown
Luke Baldwin - Arm, unknown
Dewald Potgieter - Knee, unknown
Ryan Mills - Hip/shoulder, 4/5 weeks
Niall Annett - Hamstring, 3 weeks
Marco Mama - ACL, potentially season

Injury clouds:
Nick Schonert?
Will Spencer?
Ethan Waller? - Small knock

Perry Humphreys?
Chris Pennell? - Calf, 2 weeks
Michael Dowsett?
Alafoti Fa’osiliva?

Max Stelling? - 8 weeks out
Carl Kirwan? - Unknown shoulder injury
Gareth Milasinovich? - 1 week out

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 31/08/2017 11:45 by MSR-Worcester.

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 10:48
It is a long list (Sm54)

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 10:52
Start of the season, one warmup game down and already we are missing all these injured players, unbelievable!!!

JP

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 11:20
Can't wrap them in cotton wool, mores the pity

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 12:00
One of the problems I see with players "Bulking up" is a potential for increased lower limb injuries.

If you look at videos, Denton, in particular, has a far different profile to the player who was outstanding for Scotland. I think players sometimes need protecting from themselves.

Big isn't always "Better" particularly on our surface.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 13:00
I'm no Sports Scientist, but surely bulking up quickly via weights and permitted supplements puts too much strain on the tendons, muscles and bones that need to carry this stuff at increasingly high tempo, into more frequent and higher impact collisions.

Not doubting we perhaps needed to do this as we weren't the weightiest of sides, but to try and do it in one close season, may be a factor in the latest injury news.

MSR-Worcester
14 August, 2017 13:35
Quote:
Carl Hogg
“Some people were taken off as a precaution but others might be a bit more serious,”

“But we have got to assess them.

In pre-season games you tend to take one or two more bumps than you would normally do as your body naturally toughens up to the contact and collisions in the game.

“They are reasonably sore at the moment but until we get them assessed properly we don’t know what we are dealing with.”

“There are concerns having had people come off.

“But some of them were precautionary as you don’t need to risk players staying out there too long in a pre-season game.

“We will get them in and assess them later and see where they sit.

“We had an opportunity with 34 players to chop and change but I think first and foremost it was about getting out there and seeing how physical we were as a group from one to 15 across both sides which will stand us in good stead.”

I think this may clarify a few things, seems as if Hogg does not think the injuries are as serious as they may have appeared.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 13:58
Some (limited) information here:-
[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

But more (information?) to follow the article says.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 16:09
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
Quote:
Carl Hogg
“Some people were taken off as a precaution but others might be a bit more serious,”

“But we have got to assess them.

In pre-season games you tend to take one or two more bumps than you would normally do as your body naturally toughens up to the contact and collisions in the game.

“They are reasonably sore at the moment but until we get them assessed properly we don’t know what we are dealing with.”

“There are concerns having had people come off.

“But some of them were precautionary as you don’t need to risk players staying out there too long in a pre-season game.

“We will get them in and assess them later and see where they sit.

“We had an opportunity with 34 players to chop and change but I think first and foremost it was about getting out there and seeing how physical we were as a group from one to 15 across both sides which will stand us in good stead.”

I think this may clarify a few things, seems as if Hogg does not think the injuries are as serious as they may have appeared.
Apart from Denton maybe.Think it's serious.

woodywuss
woodywuss (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 21:15
Sitting on the west side on Saturday it was interesting to see the studs being used in some of the boots the players were wearing. Over the years playing both football ang rugby on grass,Astro and indoor I have amassed quite a collection of different footwear. Looking at the length of stud and possibly 5 in the forefoot,is it possible that these are contributing to rotational injuries? Are they becoming less free to move in the fibres of an artificial surface? I understand that forwards need as much traction as possible whilst the backs a lesser length stud but still need grip. AstroTurf boots and blades seem to have been tried with little success.
Recently,Rugby World,ran an ad. from a well known boot company showing a style of boot that finishes well above the ankle. Fad or well researched? Nike produce a boot with a sleeve surrounding the ankle.
I think boot research is genuine,but there is still some way to go in understanding how the forces of an artificial pitch affect sportsmen,especially with pitches being far removed from earlier versions and still being developed and improved.
I also feel lower body bulking up has a fine margin between use and hindrance.I posted on another thread that the injuries that Manu Tuilagi has sustained may be down to his lower body physique.
Injuries happen. Arsenal and Newcastle United seem to have understood and lowered their injury stats. Rugby is way more complex and I only hope fate deals us a better hand than last season.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 21:27
Two things:

Firstly, we need to remember that the injury crisis of last season uncovered a few gems in the academy lads. This could offer a similar chance to the likes of Huw Taylor or Tom Dodd. It's a gamble, yes, but they've got to go in the deep end at some point.

Secondly, I don't think we can underestimate how much the injury crisis was exacerbated by the Dean Ryan shenanigans. This time round, the whole squad has been overlooked by Gold and Omar for a whole preseason. We have to expect that Omar has created a defensive system that the whole squad can slot into, and Gold has communicated his overall strategies to everyone. We're paying those two big bucks and this is when they earn it. I've got faith they'll do so.

MSR-Worcester
15 August, 2017 12:08
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
So walking wounded:
David Denton - ICL, unknown
Simon Kerrod - Groin, unknown
Luke Baldwin - Arm, unknown
Dewald Potgieter - Knee, unknown
Ryan Mills - Hip/shoulder, 4/5 weeks
Niall Annett - Hamstring, 3 weeks
Marco Mama - ACL, potentially season

Injury clouds:
Nick Schonert?
Will Spencer?
Ethan Waller? - Small knock
Perry Humphreys?
Chris Pennell? - Calf, 2 weeks
Michael Dowsett?
Alafoti Fa’osiliva?
Max Stelling? - 8 weeks out
Carl Kirwan? - Unknown shoulder injury
Gareth Milasinovich? - 1 week out

Updated from news sources

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 12:26
If Mama has done his ACL then it is 20 weeks before he starts functional training again in reality. If Denton has an LCL then it is anything up to 10 weeks before functional training can start.

Not good to have our ball carrying back rowers out for a decent period of time

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 16:36
Wonder if we'll get more players in now? Can't be that many available surely? SH players? The decent ones will now be playing the Rugby Championship as of this weekend.

MSR-Worcester
15 August, 2017 16:53
I would say a backrow signing would be necessary, particularly if Denton's/Mama's injuries are as serious as feared! Could also be light at prop if the four named above don't recover.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 10:49
I've been away for a week, can anyone tell me what happened to mama? I can't find any news on it bar this thread, was it a training injury?

Denton and kerrod went off in the match didn't they? Denton looking bad, how about kerrod?

I need to know how much to panic at this point

MSR-Worcester
16 August, 2017 10:59
Mama was walking around the stadium in a boot with crutches, some whisperings seemed to suggest a season ending ACL injury but nothing has been confirmed.

Denton looked serious, punching the pitch in anger. LCL or ICL? A few months at least.

Kerrod seemed to clutch his groin but tweets seem to suggest its not too bad. Maybe a few weeks?

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 12:33
Thanks msr.
That's a real shame about Mama, I might be alone but I think he impressed me more than anyone else in our backrow last season.
Was hoping he'd have an injury free season.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 14:46
You're not alone DK. He was great in my opinion and I was looking forward to seeing him. I think because he's not a giant* he isn't man marked as much as bigger players which allows him to use his fend and acceleration to make breaks.

*compared to other rugby players, not weedy forum users like me.

worcestawarrior
worcestawarrior (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 16:21
Quote "Mama was walking around the stadium in a boot with crutches, some whisperings seemed to suggest a season ending ACL injury but nothing has been confirmed".

I also saw Mama with a boot on and crutches, Although not a medical expert, however, one who had his ACL removed I would suggest that a boot and ACL don't ring true (ACL Knee Boot ankle lower leg).

MHO(Sm63) if correct not a season out but still missing.

MESSAGES->author
16 August, 2017 19:17
ACL removed???

The repair your ACL as without you would never have a stable knee joint.

JP

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 19:59
ACLs are reconstructed from other parts of your body and screwed into place where the old one was

worcestawarrior
16 August, 2017 20:58
Quote:
Faithful_City
ACL removed???
The repair your ACL as without you would never have a stable knee joint.

JP
Bucket handle tear in the 70s ACL removal early 80s you can cope without an ACL .

MESSAGES->author
16 August, 2017 21:13
Bucket handle tear sounds like a meniscus.

ACL damage and correction

JP

Dutch01527
Dutch01527 (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 22:48
I think that there is a real issue with modern rugby that will mean that there will always be a massive injury list.

In the pre professional era rugby players were physically suited to their positions. Top level forwards were naturally born big, backs were light but fast and skilful.

Now they all carry 2 to 4 stones of gym developed muscle. I played against, for example, Wade Dooley, Dean Richards and Mike Teague. They were huge, naturally big men.

In the modern game the players are athletes, bulked up to perform at previously unheard of levels. I have met Maro Itogi, Matt Mullen, Pat Sanderson and others who are naturally 14 stones or less guys who carry an extra 3 or 4 stone of muscle. They are much better players but their ligaments, joints ect are not suited to carry that weight hence the injuries.

The exception are the Pacific Islanders such as Dave or Aleki who are naturally huge.

MESSAGES->author
17 August, 2017 09:02
Dutch, I think you make a very valid point.

JP

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 10:50
Good post Dutch. I really think the only option is to stop the clock every time play stops, such as scrum lineout etc so that matches are longer so players can't carry so much muscle if they're to last

worcestawarrior
17 August, 2017 13:39
Dutch, I agree with what is said but there is also more science behind the training and performance of top athletes in todays sport compared with yesteryear.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 10:11
Baldwin's gone under the knife so imagine its a long lay off for him

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 10:26
Anyone else catch Dentons inclusion as an injured part of the Scotland training squad? Hopefully a sign he's not too bad.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 10:54
Wasn't Baldwin meant to be in great shape too? I might not have been excited by stringer signing but I'm certainly glad he's here.
Hadn't noticed that about Denton, thanks for mentioning it USA, as you say, hopefully good news, we certainly could do with some on the injury front, my positivity is rapidly erroding, wasn't expecting that to happen before the season started.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 10:55
Pic of Baldwin after bicep surgery yesterday so at least a couple months I'd have thought.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 11:54
Quote:
usa warrior
Anyone else catch Dentons inclusion as an injured part of the Scotland training squad? Hopefully a sign he's not too bad.
Interesting

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 14:02
I'm duplicating here but I think it is justified:-

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 18:31
Thanks for posting link, disappointing news even if we already suspected most of it.
Still hoping that the likes of schonert will be back for the falcons game, might still be that it's only the backrow that's below our best. Lewis, fasoliva and gjv isn't a bad backrow however.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 20:05
Wasn't it a finger which was troubling Schonert at the end of last season? Same injury?

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 20:36
Three knee injuries in one game smacks of a problem.

I hope a letter has gone off to the artificial turf supplier to request more details into their research into the grip / torsion etc under differing coir crumb infill depths against moisture content. If no answers, then tests need to be done.

2/ Recommended stud length for Sixways. (for opposition as well of course)- should it be regulated so that long studs are banned?? Which would probably mean that scrum laws may need to change?

3/ Lower body strength & conditioning needs to be totally upgraded with respect to knees in particular, as the foot / ankle is set in the pitch, the upper body is twisting so it is the knee that often gives. - and you probably can't strengthen ligaments and tendons that much so, it means building muscle to practice / memory torsion against stress.

Long way to go.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 20:51
I think that the injury list for a second year in a row before we have even got to our first AP game is tiresome. Luck will have little or nothing to do with it, our back room preparation IMHO still appears to be lacking.
i.e Schonert had a finger problem at the end of last season.
Mills was injured 8 weeks ago at the England training camp.
Dowsett wasn't injured at the end of last seasonwhat is the issue now?
etc etc

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 23:03
Who were the three knee injuries centre?

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 07:52
3 knee injuries mentioned in the list near the top of the thread
Mama (touch training on the pitch)
Denton
Potgieter

MESSAGES->author
21 August, 2017 08:37
It said Denton was ankle I believe.

JP

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 09:11
Quote:
Faithful_City
It said Denton was ankle I believe.
JP

Yes, ankle.

Do we know the touch was on the pitch?

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 12:37
Some good-ish news here:-

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 12:40
And less good news for Dewald here:-

(It's a lesson in how to make two articles, and fill the paper (?), out of one conversation.)

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 14:55
Unless I'm mistaken it looks like there's a few who have been returning from long term injury now out with fresh injuries, milasnovic for example.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 15:43
Turns out Denton has a high ankle sprain and could be back for Wasps; Schonert and Waller also due back soon (WN)

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 16:36
Gold on injuries - no panic Captain:-

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 12:14
And some more information:-

Two for Newcastle by the sound of it. Good.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 13:25
And yet more information, particularly about long term injuries:-

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 13:47
Some good news here. Denton possibly back next week.

MESSAGES->author
01 September, 2017 14:14
I would rather he takes another week and play the Exeter game rather than come back a tiny bit too early.

However we have some medical and physical experts that will make that decision

JP

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 13:56
Latest on Te'o and Olivier:-

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 14:08
So are we now out of centres after the 1st game!!??

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 14:16
If Olivier is ruled out of next week, are we gonna have to bring Butler in?

Or do we persist and try and convert a winger? Either Hammond or Humphreys as Heem looks very uncomfortable at 13.

11. Hammond
12. Butler
13. Willison
14. Heem
15. Adams

or

11. Hammond/Humphreys/Howe
12. Willison
13. Hammond/Humphreys
14. Heem
15. Adams

or do you put Shilly at 15 and Adams on the wing?

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 15:08
Teo - a plate in his arm - a pessimist might suggest that we may be fixing up an old injury with new medical advice in the same way that mike Williams was advised to have a plate removed in his arm after repeated breaks

MESSAGES->author
02 September, 2017 15:12
If Te'o and Olivier are both still injured then we could use Hammond in the center or even Sam Lewis who is a ver accomplished center.

Stringer
Olver

Heem
Hammond/Lewis
Willison
Humphries
Adams

JP

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 23:54
I think Jackson is a very good 12, but am yet to see him convince at 13.

MESSAGES->author
03 September, 2017 09:05
I did not mean to place him at 13. He should be at 12 Hammond/Lewis at 13.

JP

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 22:27
The latest bulletin:-

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 00:16
Quote:
A38
The latest bulletin:-
Still a longer list than we would like.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 11:01
Hammond next to be tried at OC for me, Lewis is far to important in the backrow to try moving him, whereas Hammond wouldn't make my first choice back 3.

On the injury front it's Denton and mama I want back the most, oh and Spencer

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 11:13
Quote:
Faithful_City
I did not mean to place him at 13. He should be at 12 Hammond/Lewis at 13.
JP

I was really commenting on selection in the past. We have seen Ben at 12 and Jackson at 13. I think it works much better the other way around, but the coaches don't seem to agree. I understand that they know more than me, and get to see them in training, but I have not been convinced at all.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 11:29
Quote:
Offa
I was really commenting on selection in the past. We have seen Ben at 12 and Jackson at 13. I think it works much better the other way around, but the coaches don't seem to agree. I understand that they know more than me, and get to see them in training, but I have not been convinced at all.

I agree but perhaps teo gets a say due to where he thinks he might play for England?

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 11:35
I think you may be right. But it weakens us.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 13:19
Quote:
Offa
I think you may be right. But it weakens us.
I agree again

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 13:28
Fortunately coaches now seem to as well.

MESSAGES->author
08 September, 2017 14:24
Te'o is never going to play at 12 in Jones's team as he wants a 2nd playmaker at 12 not a battering ram.

JP

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 18:25
Jones said numerous times he wanted the option of a battering ram at inside center, the second playmaker at inside center was partly due to lack of options and not trusting ford to take the kicks.
The main reason he won't start for England will be a lack of club form I suspect.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 18:29
I'm not sure myself. I think he will stick with Ford and Farrell even if Teo and Tuillagi are fit and playing well. I'd like to see Daley given a shot at 13, but I'm not convinced his defence is good enough.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 18:44
I think he'll stick with ford Farrell too, I think we've too few games before the world cup and so in Eddie's eyes the dice have already been cast.

I kinda think marchant might leapfrog Daly this season, he really impressed me.

I also think Farrell will go down with the worst carrying averages an England center with more than 10 caps ever.

t-unit
t-unit (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 19:55
I think Ford & Farrell is part of the reason why Eddie picks Mike Brown... gives the head down and charge option!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 19:56 by t-unit.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 08:21
Quote:
t-unit
I think Ford & Farrell is part of the reason why Eddie picks Mike Brown... gives the head down and charge option!

I think that's a good point.
You need someone in the backs who carries straight and into traffic.

Browns been a good servant for England but I still can't wait for us to find a replacement.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 08:35
Eddie was quite clear when he took the reins, that he wanted to try Many at 12. Never did happen, and most probably now never will. I think that he is ruthless and will not hesitate for a second to move someone on when he feels that the time is right.

MSR-Worcester
12 September, 2017 10:34
Injury update after Brive game:

Darren Barry - HIA, unknown
Christian Scotland-Williamson - shoulder stinger, unknown
Bryce Heem, thigh, 1/2 weeks
David Denton - hamstring, 1/2 weeks
Will Spencer - calf, 1/2 weeks
Simon Kerrod - groin, 1/2 weeks
Francois Hougaard - abductor, 1/2 weeks
Carl Kirwan - shoulder, unknown
Tom Heathcote - concussion, 2/3 weeks
Ryan Mills - quad, 2/3 weeks
Luke Baldwin - bicep, 2/3 weeks
Nick Schonert - ankle, 3/4 weeks
Ben Howard - ankle, 3/4 weeks
Ben Te'o - ankle, unknown
Max Stelling - ankle, unknown
Dewald Potgieter - knee, 2 months
Matt Cox - bicep, 9 weeks
Marco Mama - ACL, 4/5 months
Niall Annett - ACL, 6 months

Updated 16/10/17: 19 injures. Te'o/CSW/Barry/Denton/Spencer out, however we should have 13 back fit in the next month ready for the next premiership block!

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 16/10/2017 16:16 by MSR-Worcester.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 11:36
Here's the answer for Barry:-

There is also news about one or two influential players who should be ready by mid-October.

Villages12
Villages12 (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 12:07
For two years now we have had a huge amount of injuries, far more than I can ever remember in the past.

Am I the only one who thinks it's little more than coincidence that this aligns with the arrival of our artificial surface ? The nature of most of the injuries are lower limb related and this must an indication that something has changed to the make this happen.

I did ask the club a question about this last season but didn't get any reply.

I'm no expert but I wonder whether stud types or even boot types are a problem and whether anyone has even done any analysis to see if there is a difference between those getting injured and those not getting injured.

This has been a concern of mine for some time and would like to know what others think ?

It would also be interesting to know if our opposition players are getting ankle etc injuries whilst playing at Sixways.

MSR-Worcester
12 September, 2017 12:07
Updated. Good news about Heathcote, also Mills may be back sooner than expected!

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 12:18
For the record:-

Sixways Cheryl
Sixways Cheryl (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 14:04
So looking like our squad should be in a much better place a fortnight from now. Positive. thumbs down

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 15:57
Schonert: Ankle not broken but still out for a long-ish time:-

[www.bbc.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 16:42
Quote:
Villages12
For two years now we have had a huge amount of injuries, far more than I can ever remember in the past.

I think that is true across all sides if I am honest and I think the reason is rugby has become a collision sport now where the players are getting bigger, stronger and faster and the hit becoming harder and more frequent. The tactics are to control the collision area of the game, they don’t worry about skill or back line moves to break the defensive line they try a punch through the defensive lines and to do that teams want brutes running at top speed.

I think this BBC article from a few years back is very relevant: [www.bbc.co.uk]

What I suspect we will see is an increase in injuries for a number of years yet, thankfully concussion is being taken seriously now but the long term effects are still very much unknown. The players will only get bigger as each side seeks to out muscle the other teams, players like Heathcoate, Shane Williams and Neil Back will be a thing of the past.

MESSAGES->author
12 September, 2017 16:45
he vast majority of our injured were caused before the season started??

JP

Hallowed Warrior
Hallowed Warrior (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 22:03
Millsy was knackered whilst away at England training and Mama did his knee in a game of touch rugby in a freak accident - we don't seem to be getting the rub of the green at the minute.

Hopefully the squad will gradually return to a stronger position as the season progresses.

The Anglo Welsh and ECC cups can take a hike as far as I am concerned - use these as A team development games,

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 09:03
Looking for hen's teeth:-

(Slightly O/T but I had to debate where the apostrophe went. I've followed the newspaper because GG is looking for one replacement but one could argue for the plural version)

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 10:25
Is 'hen' plural anyway?

'en' is the anglo saxon ending for plurals (men, women, children, brethren, oxen...)

Is chicken plural of chick?

What would the singular of hen be?

Little Mazda 2
Reggie's Ghost (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 11:04
Quote:
A38
Looking for hen's teeth:-

(Slightly O/T but I had to debate where the apostrophe went. I've followed the newspaper because GG is looking for one replacement but one could argue for the plural version)

A38 you are correct if there is only one hen, but i believe the saying is for plural hens so apostrophe should be after the 's'.

(Sorry, broke my silence early...but that's it now.)

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 11:19
Quote:
Abberley
Is 'hen' plural anyway?
'en' is the anglo saxon ending for plurals (men, women, children, brethren, oxen...)

Is chicken plural of chick?

What would the singular of hen be?

The plural of hen is hens no apostrophe

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 11:55
It would be Hens' teeth I believe

Hen's teeth if a specific Hen.

Abberley, I think you are over thinking - chicken and hen are singulars. Just like hyphen isn't two hyphs

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 12:45
And a lone female fox is not a "Vix".

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 09:53
Just had a casual flick through of the other teams' boards to find that the question of injuries comes up quite often. One post on the Bath board asks the question as to whether their squad is more prone to injuries than others.

[www.rugbynetwork.net]

So it is a common theme but the issue with Worcester it seems to me has far more to do with which players are injured rather than the numbers involved. As has been said elsewhere, Worcester's injuries have hit the spine of the team very hard indeed.

Peter
littlecolonel (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 10:42
More concussions, more stingers and more shoulder injuries must see a correlation between the style of tackling being required this season. The new defence coach is a Mixed Martial Arts specialist and not a rugby player. Worcester topped the turnovers last season.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:23
Schonert - 3 months:-

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 16:35
You'd think a DOR would know the difference between a tendon and a ligament.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net