rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Ronster
Re: Injuries
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 15:40
To be honest, that's a lot better news than I would initially have expected on NS. Thought that could be a season-ender at first glance. Hopefully he will be able to keep the upper body work up and come back raring to go!

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 15:16
Up date here:-

[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

October would seem a good time to start the season!

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 15:35
This massive injury crisis happened at the start of last season too surely that's more than a coincidence?

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 16:46
As has been stated, we're certainly not alone on the injury front. Cipriani out for 12 weeks with a knee injury for instance. Just hits us harder unfortunately.

Applebytiger
Applebytiger (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 17:21
Not much comfort but we missing,
Mike Fitzgerald, lock, 12 weeks
Manu 12 weeks ish!
Graham Kitchener lock,?
Dom Barrow, lock?
Pat Cilliers, prop, groin, ?
George Mcguigan, hooker, ?
Adam Thompstone, winger, neck?
Brendan O'Conor, flanker?
Tom Braidy, winger,?
Chris Baumann, prop?
Gareth Owen, centre?
Awaiting HIA results on Tom Youngs and Matt Toomua
Gloucester looked bad for injuries before we played them and lost 3/4 players during the game so think all clubs are struggling with injuries.
P.S. Hope Kitto does a job for you - a good scrum half

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 18:14
I've just had a look at our squad on the offy and counted 17 players who I believe are injured. There maybe 1 or possibly 2 who aren't, but then I didn't count Singleton who should be back for the weekend.

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 08:32
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
Injury update after Wasps game:
Michael Dowsett - concussion, unknown
Wynand Olivier - hamstring, 1 week
David Denton - ankle, 2 weeks
Ryan Mills - hip/shoulder, 2 weeks
Max Stelling - ankle, 2 weeks
Carl Kirwan - shoulder, 2 weeks
Jonny Arr - concussion, 3 weeks
Tom Heathcote - concussion, 3 weeks
Will Spencer - ankle, 3 weeks
Darren Barry - quad, 3/4 weeks
Luke Baldwin - bicep, 4/5 weeks
Simon Kerrod - groin, 6/7 weeks
Dewald Potgieter - knee, 2.5 months
Nick Schonert - ankle, 3 months
Marco Mama - ACL, 4/5 months

We're now down to 4 fit first team props, 2 nines, 2 tens, 3 locks and 4 back-rowers!

Updated after Exeter game, Pennell back fit is the only boost.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 15:41
Two to add to your list alas, MSR:-

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 15:48
MSR Warrior that is exactly the same list that I posed on ShedWeb - great minds etc.
If Cox is now injured that means Huw Taylor or perhaps Matti Williams on the bench?

Big T 15
Big T 15 (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 16:02
Play on the pitch. Train on the pitch. Is it the pitch?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 17:28
It's now getting on for 2 years since we were invited to attend open training sessions, towards the end of the DR days,

I remember asking how much training was routinely done on the stadium pitch, and was told it was generally little or none. It was only being done on the day for the benefit of the visitors, to avoid us having to troop around the outer pitches.

This was of course before the artificial surface, I wonder if things have changed?
Maybe they train more on the stadium pitch to get used to it, there must be some advantage to be had over teams less used to playing on the various artificial pitches.

Don't know, shame JoT isn't there any more, he'd have told us in an instant. Doubt this lot will.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 17:52
How is a bicep injury related to the pitch precisely? Knee, maybe, but Cipriani did his knee this weekend at the Ricoh and, I believe, that's grass.

Old 7
Old 7 (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 18:28
Re. Cipriani, I'll be watching with interest. There was an article recently about how Wasps were taking a risk by playing both their 10's at the same time (Gopperth being the other), increasing risk of injury and reducing rest time. Dai Young didn't seem concerned and stated that they would bring in cover if necessary. It now looks like it is necessary so I'm very interested to see if they have any more success than GG considering there is 'no one out there'.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 18:57
Of course, in the good old days of grass / mud pitches, we never had injuries.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 19:09
We nearly had a couple of drownings in the SouthWest corner at a pre-season friendly some years ago.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 20:33
This "Injuries" thread should qualify as a "Sticky" now!

MESSAGES->author
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 06:16
Quote:
TeflonTed

This was of course before the artificial surface, I wonder if things have changed?
Maybe they train more on the stadium pitch to get used to it.....

I would imagine that your policy is the same as ours at Newcastle. If the next game will be on an artificial pitch they train all week on the artificial pitch. If the next game will be on grass they train on grass. If the next game will be at the Rec, they go down to the River Tyne and splash about in the mud.

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 06:42
Due to the modern game, injuries will be a lot more common.
Just look at the contact, the tackle where they rip the ball as well.

I do think we have been unlucky, can't imagine we are being daft or particularly aggressive. We have quality coaches and backup staff most clubs would love to have.
Thus my view unlucky. But the odds will turn & hopefully that will be soon.

More worrying to me, is the uncertainty around the club.
This will stop players coming in, even if it's just for Southern Hemisphere close season cover.
It needs to happen sooner or later, as the longer it gets dragged out the less the club will be worth.

Big T 15
Big T 15 (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 06:45
USA warrior (Jesus wept...) I didn't mean every single injury. Work it out.

FlipFlop (Christ almighty...) I am aware we used to get injuries on a grass pitch to.

Would be interesting to compare injuries these last two years vs previous seasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2017 08:28 by Big T 15.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 07:09
Ha! What am I to work out from your vague generalisation regarding injuries??

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 07:48
Big T 15,

You appear to want the pitch to be the reason for our current injury woes. Some may want it be the pitch at fault as they don't think we should have invested in it, Grass was fine apparenty unless it needed relaying every year, got frozen so a game was cancelled or churned up like a ploughed field.

A sizeable number of injuries have appeared to have occurred in training sessions as on the pitch during game time, so maybe the training methods or player approach in them is an issue as much as the pitch.

The pitch isn't likely to be torn up as far as we are aware.

Injuries in the game are apparent in a number of squads, whether grass or 4G. Have a look at injury news elsewhere, and i doubt we have fewer players out due to injuries. Due to our lack of player depth, we cannot replace with similar calibre players, which seems to heighten questions over our injury crisis at present.

In summary not convinced the current position is about the pitch per se, and in the absence of grass injury stats at Warriors in say the 4 years prior to the new pitch, it is difficult to pin that 'tail' o the 4G 'donkey IMO. That was my point.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 08:06
I am sure that within Sixways someone will have stepped back from each individual injury and looked at the broader picture.

Equally the other Premiership clubs, all of whom will have had injury crises of one sort or another, will no doubt have conducted similar exercises.

It would be good if that information could be shared - if it isn't already - to see if there are common factors at work.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that professional rugby in this country, if not elsewhere, is not far off a real injury crisis. The game is now played at a speed where very heavy collisions are commonplace, where rucks and mauls see limbs exposed to all sorts of risks and where HIAs are, rightly, taken very seriously.

Quite often we hear of career ending injuries - or even life changing ones.

We clearly do not want to see the kit which American Football uses nor do we want touch rugby but we may not be far off the point where some serious (inter)national) study is undertaken to consider what, if anything, can be done.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 08:24
A38,

I agree that the pace, bulk and intensity of the modern game is more a factor in the injury stats arising for teams than perhaps it has been in the past.

I don't even think it is down to increased discussion, awareness or exposure of injury information that makes injury prevalence seemingly or actually more than it was in the past.

Big T 15
Big T 15 (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 08:32
USA Warrior - was just responding to your bicep comment where you missed the point. Nothing more to add.

Flip Flop - don't 'want' the pitch to be the issue, just asking the question.

A38 - I'm sure there's something in that, fair doos.

t-unit
t-unit (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 08:42
I think the only way to limit collision impact is to increase the amount of time that the players are playing for.

Firstly, need to take playing time up, so stop clock at line-outs and scrums

Also, to limit non-front row replacements to 3 - 3x front row, 1x second/back row and 2 backs... you then have injury cover, while most players will then have the expectation of playing 80 mins...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2017 08:43 by t-unit.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 08:58
Quote:
Big T 15
FlipFlop (Christ almighty...) I am aware we used to get injuries on a grass pitch to.

Would be interesting to compare injuries these last two years vs previous seasons.

Hang on....naughty words! naughty wordS!

(sorry i'll get back in my box)

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 08:59
I do get it and will happily leave it there, but do take some offense to those spouting that the injury predicament is down to the pitch entirely. It isn't.

It's a tough old game made worse by the sheer physicality of those playing it these days and the strain their bodies go through - even in training.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 09:03
Quote:
TVM Rides Again
Quote:
Big T 15

Hang on....naughty words! naughty wordS!

(sorry i'll get back in my box)

No you're right.

Profanity is unacceptable to some....not me...I don't give a toss, but the use of such terms has been discussed before, is offensive to some, and is unnecessary.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 09:21
Quote:
TeflonTed

Profanity is unacceptable to some....not me...I don't give a toss, but the use of such terms has been discussed before, is offensive to some, and is unnecessary.

I'm an atheist, but a clergyman I knew used to respond to profanity with a smile and a quote from St. Paul: Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. I other words it doesn't bother me chum, but as a Christian I believe you'll suffer for it.

woodywuss
woodywuss (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 10:27
Observation of young players starting their rugby journey and players who have retired show very different body shapes to those in the middle of their career. The muscle mass/tone built up to aid endurance and the ability to take high impact contact, must be at odds with the skeletal structure that essentially does not alter very much?
Manu Tuilagi has a below the waist body shape akin to a weightlifter.Has this contributed to his injuries?
S.Wales miners would rely on the job related strength to see them through games on a Saturday. Farmers in NZ, South Africa, Hereford,Corwall etc played the game with their inherent strength also.
Sports science and training methods are light years from what they were. Rugby players are not exempt from having their finely tuned and honed bodies busted the equivalent of a spanner being dropped into those intricately conceived structures.
I do also believe that the whole thing will plateau out and teams will just work around it with squads that are designed to cope with a number of players on the treatment table.

MESSAGES->author
21 September, 2017 10:38
Most squads have injuries but the quality in depth is there to not make it such a crisis.

Wasps are after a 10 apparantly be interesting what they come up with.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 11:20
Wasps will no doubt come up with a good 10. They are high in the Prem, they are in Euro Cup, and no doubt will be able to offer good terms. None, bar the last "attraction", are available to Warriors IMO.

Similar in some regards to Tigers getting Traynor this week at Prop. Whether Kyle fits Sharky's or Bower's side of the Front Row , or can play both i haven't a clue, but the attractive clubs will generally manage to find someone who will make us ask " wonder if we enquired".

B-road
21 September, 2017 11:57
Quote:
Patgadd
... respond to profanity with a smile and a quote from St. Paul: Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. I other words it doesn't bother me chum, but as a Christian I believe you'll suffer for it.

He shouldn't be smiling then - not very Christian to smile at someones potential suffering !

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 12:58
Quote:
FlipFlop
Wasps will no doubt come up with a good 10. They are high in the Prem, they are in Euro Cup, and no doubt will be able to offer good terms. None, bar the last "attraction", are available to Warriors IMO.
Similar in some regards to Tigers getting Traynor this week at Prop. Whether Kyle fits Sharky's or Bower's side of the Front Row , or can play both i haven't a clue, but the attractive clubs will generally manage to find someone who will make us ask " wonder if we enquired".

I believe that a former fly-half of Wasps is currently without a club after a recent sojourn in the Top14.

As for Tigers and Traynor, he did spend some time training with them in pre-season, apparently, so that will also have entered the mix to their advantage, I guess.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 10:40

Looking to sign a Prop and "funds available for key positions"

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 20:34
Lewis and Phillips - should be OK for Saracens:-

Pennell for tomorrow night.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 21:03
With Hougaard back too it's all starting to look a bit rosier.

Only Mama and Schonert are the major long term injuries. Singleton, Arr, Heathcote, Olivier, Spencer are all short term but these sort of injuries are expected and every squad has them - especially with the amount of care that has to be taken in the head area nowadays.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 22:12
Chris back would be excellent, I think that the experiment with Adams at 15 has run it's course, he is a winger.

MSR-Worcester
26 September, 2017 12:24
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
Injury update after Glaws game:
Niall Annett - ACL, unknown
Matt Cox - bicep, unknown
Wynand Olivier - hamstring, unknown
Max Stelling - ankle, unknown
Francois Hougaard - hip/groin, unknown
Ryan Mills - quad, unknown
Carl Kirwan - shoulder, 1 week
Jonny Arr - concussion, 2 weeks
Tom Heathcote - concussion, 2 weeks
Will Spencer - ankle, 2 weeks
Darren Barry - quad, 2/3 weeks
Luke Baldwin - bicep, 3/4 weeks
Simon Kerrod - groin, 5/6 weeks
Dewald Potgieter - knee, 2.5 months

Updated 26/09/17: 16 injures. Mills/Hougaard/Stelling out again, Dowsett/Pennell back
fit

Update

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 20:16
This could well have been my "First 23" before the season started:-

1 Waller
2 Annett*
3 Schonert*
4 DO'C
5 Spencer*
6 Potgieter* / Denton*
7 Lewis
8 Mama*
9 Hougaard*
10 Heathcote*
11 Heem
12 Mills*
13 Teo
14 Adams
15 Pennell*

Bench to include Olivier*, Barry*, Arr*/Baldwin*, Cox*/Kirwan*

An asterix of course indicates non availability through injury in any of the games so far this season.

So, potentially, we have 9 out of my 15 "starters" on the injury list. These 9 represents the spine of the team.

I know that we could argue about a few names but I believe my general point still stands.

It is that very few clubs have the strength in depth to deal with this number of injuries of key personnel.

No wonder, taking this with the cruelty of the fixture list, we are where we are.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 22:50
At least Denton will be available.
(Hope I've not jinxed him!)

Brummagem Bertie
01 October, 2017 14:27
Wasps v Bath today on the tellybox - both teams have 11 first team players out injured.

It's not just us but it is still true that we struggle more with depth and quality of back-up than the likes of Wasps and Bath.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 17:45
Many sides seem to have players that are helping teams out by their individual effort,
Solomona - Sale
Roko - Bath
Wyles - sarries
May - Tigers
Gonova - Falcons

We had Hougaard two seasons ago and Heem was potent last term. This year 'nowt.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 19:40
Overlooked the impact Teo should have had for us Rollo given the plaudits EJones and WGatland have bestowed on him. He just doesn't seem to light the spark for us, when his skill set should be as telling as Hougaard's or the players noted in your post.

Still nowt on show, but there should be!

Wah-RE-or
Wah-RE-or (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 22:01
I have to feel a bit for Mr Teo as he is a little bit down the supply chain and so less likely to be able to influence things. Mr Hougaard has a chance, being further up the supply chain, to influence things to a much greater extent. Imagine a back line along the lines of Hougaard, Jono Lance, Teo..........

Brummagem Bertie
01 October, 2017 23:59
I think part of the problem with Teo is that we're not using him properly all of the time.

It was noticeable against Glaws that too often he got the ball fairly close to the gain line whilst standing still or barely moving. Even he then struggled, particularly if he was facing two oppo players.

If we are going to use him to pound it up the middle, a la Jamie Roberts, we need to make sure he gets it close to the gain line but having built up a head of steam. That way, we can also use him as a dummy runner, for variety.

That said, I thought he looked a lot more effective when he was getting the ball deeper, often out of the back with forwards running decoys. He was able to pick his spot to attack, usually a shoulder, and use his strength and a hand off to break the line.

Again though, it's a problem if your 10 isn't getting much practice time with him to build up that understanding, either because of injury or because you are the back up and there are two others being preferred before you, getting most of the training time.

MSR-Worcester
02 October, 2017 11:36
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
Injury update after Sarries game:
Sam Lewis - neck, unknown
Francois Hougaard - hip/groin, unknown
Carl Kirwan - shoulder, unknown

Ryan Mills - quad, unknown
Tom Heathcote - concussion, 1 week
Darren Barry - quad, 1/2 weeks
Luke Baldwin - bicep, 2/3 weeks
Simon Kerrod - groin, 4/5 weeks
Dewald Potgieter - knee, 2 months
Niall Annett - ACL, 6 months

Updated 02/10/17: 15 injures. Lewis out, Arr/Spencer back fit. MC, WO, SL, FH and CK may be back imminently.

Monday update! Hoping for some good news on the top 5.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 13:18
Heem?

MSR-Worcester
02 October, 2017 17:44
Good shout. That makes 16. Again hopefully not serious.

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 21:16
Spot the link between the "standouts" listed above.

Maybe Benny should move to the wing to prove himself to some of our fans!

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 13:49
WN reports that:

Hougard will be out for a further 3 / 4 weeks having come back ( again ) from SA with an injury.
Mills another 3/4 weeks
Kerrod 2 weeks
Schonert may be back sooner than thought possibly December,

The Hougaard saga continues and for me will be one of the things for a new DoR to resolve.

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 14:11
I wonder with FH and some of the others if GG and the coaches are thinking of not risking them against Bath if they're only 80% and then giving them the ECC off to be fit for the next block of Prem fixtures?

MSR-Worcester
03 October, 2017 15:43
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
Injury update after Sarries game:
Sam Lewis - neck, unknown
Bryce Heem, thigh, unknown

Tom Heathcote - concussion, 1 week
Luke Baldwin - bicep, 2/3 weeks
Simon Kerrod - groin, 2 weeks
Francois Hougaard - hip/groin, 3/4 weeks
Ryan Mills - quad, 3/4 weeks
Nick Schonert - ankle, 2 months

Updated 03/10/17: 16 injures. Lewis out, Arr/Spencer back fit. MC, WO, SL and CK may be back imminently.

woodywuss
woodywuss (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 16:07
Looking over on the Wasps board, there is a post re.injuries. They have included an article from The Times which is interesting to read. Apologies for not being able to link it over to this board.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 16:35
Quote:
woodywuss
Looking over on the Wasps board, there is a post re.injuries. They have included an article from The Times which is interesting to read. Apologies for not being able to link it over to this board.

[www.rugbynetwork.net]

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 16:40
Extracts from The Times article:-

"A glut of injuries over the first five rounds of the Aviva Premiership will be examined by a panel of experts this month amid claims that rugby's new laws are contributing to the high attrition rate".

"It is too early for any robust statistical analysis of the factors...but clubs are clearly struggling."

Gloucester and Wasps are mentioned but it seems that all of the clubs are suffering.

"One source has told The Times: 'It seems like there are two big injuries every game. We won't finish the season at this rate, it's that bad.I am concerned.'"

"The number of tackles per game has increased, from 248 to 272, and there are ten more rucks per game because the laws are encouraging higher ball-in-play time."

"More collisions almost inevitably mean more injuries because tackles, rucks and other non-set piece collisions accounted for more than 70 per cent of injuries..."

woodywuss
woodywuss (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 16:45
Thanks for the link.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 17:29
Haven't most of our injuries been in training rather than games though, very much looking forward to kerrod being available

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 22:00
For comparisons sake, Dragons currently have 29 players injured.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 10:34
15-a-side Union should have remained as an amateur Club game.

Professional Rugby League has survived for over 100 years with a reputation for fitness and physicality, seemingly without the injury crisis professional Union is experiencing.

Looking at the differences between the codes it seems inevitable that professional Union will have to evolve to be more like League - so what's the point?

It will be a disaster if the amateur game is ruined just to accommodate the professionals.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 10:46
I don't think the laws need changing, just upholding. I'll pick on George Kruis, although any forward will do, as not many of his "clear outs" at the weekend involved arms. The players themselves hurl themselves into rucks with their shoulders and then complain when they get hurt.

There is nothing wrong with the game, the problem is that referees need to manage the players better. Why do scrums need a hit? When I played at school we eased ourselves into position. That way there is no advantage to be had before the scrum half flings the ball underneath the number 8. This way there would surely be less resets as both front rows will start off in the right position.

The game is actually very simple, however referees have allowed players to eek out advantages when none should be available.

This year we were told that a ruck would form when players bind (or something similar), however in my mind you must then stop your attempted turnover as that would be "hands in the ruck". Is this refereed? No. The chance for a turnover should be instant, and if you can't pick the ball up before a player binds on then tough luck. This would in turn stop the big clear outs.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 12:26
Quote:
Fiver
I don't think the laws need changing, just upholding. I'll pick on George Kruis, although any forward will do, as not many of his "clear outs" at the weekend involved arms. The players themselves hurl themselves into rucks with their shoulders and then complain when they get hurt.
There is nothing wrong with the game, the problem is that referees need to manage the players better. Why do scrums need a hit? When I played at school we eased ourselves into position. That way there is no advantage to be had before the scrum half flings the ball underneath the number 8. This way there would surely be less resets as both front rows will start off in the right position.

The game is actually very simple, however referees have allowed players to eek out advantages when none should be available.

This year we were told that a ruck would form when players bind (or something similar), however in my mind you must then stop your attempted turnover as that would be "hands in the ruck". Is this refereed? No. The chance for a turnover should be instant, and if you can't pick the ball up before a player binds on then tough luck. This would in turn stop the big clear outs.

Good post

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 13:33
Cox bicep injury now mentioned as 10 weeks. Might be back just before LI game.

Big loss in the Backrow after his good start to the season.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 15:59
Quote:
FlipFlop
I've had to start counting my toes now to count the injuries!

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 18:27
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
FlipFlop

Shame you're not from the Forest of Dean.

You'd have have room for 12 extra.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 22:06
Quote:
TeflonTed
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
FlipFlop

Shame you're not from the Forest of Dean.

You'd have have room for 12 extra.
Ha Ha! Not Norwich then!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 11:30
Update on Heathcote - 3 more weeks

MSR-Worcester
10 October, 2017 19:46
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
Injury update after Bath game:
Bryce Heem, thigh, 2 weeks
Ben Howard - ankle, unknown
Chris Pennell - concussion, unknown
Tom Heathcote - concussion, 3 weeks
Simon Kerrod - groin, 2 weeks
Francois Hougaard - hip/groin, 2 weeks
Ryan Mills - quad, 3 weeks
Luke Baldwin - bicep, 4 weeks
Nick Schonert - ankle, 4 weeks
Matt Cox - bicep, 9 weeks

Updated 10/10/17: 16 injures. Pennell out, Heem/Hougaard/Kerrod back fit soon.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 14:30
If heem, hougaard, kerrod and pennell are back for our next league match and we don't pick up any more injuries I'm going to be happy, I think they add enough quality for us to pick up a win

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 14:47
And Olivier.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 16:32
Update:-

Significant players on their way back.

Schonert: Isn't he EQP?

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 17:02
A38, he was EQPd enough for Jones to name him in the England squad for Argentina in the Summer, before his finger injury returned to rule Sharky out.

MSR-Worcester
16 October, 2017 15:17
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
Injury update after Connacht game:
Darren Barry - HIA, unknown
Christian Scotland-Williamson - shoulder stinger, unknown
Francois Hougaard - abductor, 1 weeks
Tom Heathcote - concussion, 2 weeks
GJ van-Velze - unknown
Matti Williams - unknown
Joe Taufete'e - unknown
Luke Baldwin - bicep, 2 weeks
Nick Schonert - ankle, 3 weeks
Ben Howard - ankle, 3 weeks
Ben Te'o - ankle, 12 weeks
Matt Cox - bicep, 8 weeks

Updated 24/10/17: 17 injures. Kerrod/Heem/Denton/Spencer/Kirwan/Mills back fit. GJVV/Kirwan/Williams/Joe T out.

Good news!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2017 14:37 by MSR-Worcester.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 16:50

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 17:47
Will we reach the light though, it seems to keep moving further away.
With all the 1/2 weekers back we'll get a win, unless we lose the other half of the team

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 19:44
So is that Kitchener into the locks this weekend with Piers? We are nearly out of them.

Brummagem Bertie
16 October, 2017 20:32
Quote:
usa warrior
So is that Kitchener into the locks this weekend with Piers? We are nearly out of them.

Kitch isn't in the Euro squad, unless we've added him. DO'C is in the squad and GJVV could play 2nd row, I think.

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 21:30
Huw Taylor plays Lock too I believe.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 23:11
Quote:
Big Bird Warrior
Huw Taylor plays Lock too I believe.
Correct.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 06:32
Couldn't you sub in players for those injured? Could be making that up...

MSR-Worcester
17 October, 2017 07:53
You can yes - but you only get 2 swaps (+1 front rower) in the pool stages and we have already used 1 on Lance.

I would suggest we should save the remaining subs for 2018 where we might have a different sought of injury crisis, e.g. 1 fit hooker.

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 10:55
there is also this rule regarding front rowers

3.4 In order to reduce the possibility of uncontested scrums, each club may also nominate further front row players, referred to as Emergency Front Row players, who may be registered with EPCR on a match-by-match basis provided that all necessary details of the players have been submitted before 12 noon (GMT) on 21 September 2017. The provision for the nomination of Emergency Front Row players is not intended to allow clubs to improve the quality of their squads, and is designed to cater for illness and/or injury in the relevant positions. The players added to squads will typically come from a club's academy or similar.

[www.epcrugby.com]

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/10/2017 10:56 by Powick Eastander.

ceb17
ceb17 (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 13:44
Avid reader, first time poster.

I don't know if anybody else follows Warriors Instagram but over the last few days Warriors have posted stories / videos of training which have included Ryan Mills, Luke Baldwin and Bryce Heem.

I find it interesting the news we are given states players are out for certain periods of time but then show videos of the players they tell us are injured, seemingly in full training.

Somewhat confusing but positive that we have big players coming back to fitness ready for the important run of AP fixtures.

Brummagem Bertie
17 October, 2017 13:59
Welcome onboard ceb.

Thanks for the info. Do the pics show what sort of training the guys are taking part in? Sometimes, injured players may do some non-contact training, as a group, or even join in with the rest of the squad in a non-contact session, as part of the road to recovery.

If it's clear that they were in contact mode, then that does sound a lot more positive.

kceWarrior
kceWarrior (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 14:19
I saw the clip with Mills and I'd say it appeared more like light-contact rather than a full-contact session.

Having seemingly rushed him back for the Glos match, hopefully we'll give him the required time to get fully match sharp before we throw him back in. As much as the temptation is probably there to give him a game after his first full session in training. (The same goes for FH and others on their way back)

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 14:24
There might be a few interesting selections for next Monday's A Game. Not sure whether Andrew Durutalo will have had enough time at Sixways to be included but we could well see a few players returning from injuries.

ceb17
ceb17 (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 14:32
Light contact (running and kicking) but as his injury was a quad, it looked like a good sign.

But agree with you kceWarrior last thing we need is to throw our most important players in at the deep end when they aren't ready - i.e. FH, we need him 100% fit and firing.

Brummagem Bertie
17 October, 2017 14:33
Quote:
kceWarrior
I saw the clip with Mills and I'd say it appeared more like light-contact rather than a full-contact session.
Having seemingly rushed him back for the Glos match, hopefully we'll give him the required time to get fully match sharp before we throw him back in. As much as the temptation is probably there to give him a game after his first full session in training. (The same goes for FH and others on their way back)

Thanks for the clarification. Agree about not rushing players back but the only way to get match sharp is to actually play a couple of matches; or, to pick up A38's point, at least a half of a Cavs game.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 15:46
Teo out for at least a month. Ankle injury and may require surgery.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 16:49
Denton's (first), Schonert's and Te'o's injuries all occurred during the opening moments of the respective games, if I remember correctly.

MESSAGES->author
17 October, 2017 16:54

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 17:03
Quote:
usa warrior

That's a shame, I thought hougaard playing might have gotten more out of him than we've seen so far.

Brummagem Bertie
17 October, 2017 18:12
Quote:
knightstemplar
http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/sport/15601892.Warriors_ace_Te_o_set_to_miss_autumn_internationals_and_could_face_surgery/
Teo link

So, a "syndesmosis ankle injury", eh? For those, like me, who were wondering, more commonly called a high ankle sprain.

Brummagem Bertie
17 October, 2017 18:20
Quote:
dkexile
Quote:
usa warrior

That's a shame, I thought hougaard playing might have gotten more out of him than we've seen so far.

Good job Wynand's back fit again. Is Jackson fit, or will we see Jono at 12 again this weekend?

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 06:33
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
Quote:
knightstemplar
http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/sport/15601892.Warriors_ace_Te_o_set_to_miss_autumn_internationals_and_could_face_surgery/
Teo link

So, a "syndesmosis ankle injury", eh? For those, like me, who were wondering, more commonly called a high ankle sprain.
Thanks Doc. ;-)

Brummagem Bertie
18 October, 2017 13:34
You're welcome - the internet can be a wonderful thing!

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 17:00
It is good wynand is fit but I'd still have had two in the 23 even if he didn't start

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 07:04
Few coming back soon, but FH unlikely for Quins.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 07:23
No news on any action directed towards SARFU regarding FH condition on his return.

All the positive stuff coming out on FH Instagram etc, yet the reality is yet further delay.

Not surprised as such given how long it appears to have taken Kerrod to recover from a similar issue.

Frustrating for him i am sure, but frustrating that we appear to be heading to the reality of yet another half season of FH, and haven't really seen the benefit of his early release from SA duties.

Season shouldn't hang on his fitness, but given his influence over the past 2 seasons for us, it always appears to hang on his fitness.

Big salary player, not available is an issue for me, no matter the reasons for absence.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 08:17
It is just something else to add to what is the saga of Worcester Warriors. My thoughts on Hougaard are well known.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net