rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

usa warrior
So what did we learn?
usa warrior (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 18:40
Aside from the injury curse...

For me.

Shillcock and Olver were excellent.

Lewis was at his combative best.

Taufete will play at Loosehead.

Heem still isn't a centre.

GJ needs a few more games to get up to speed.

Stringer looked class.

Possibly a little more organised defensively but still slipped off a few tackles.

Hartbury will be no mugs in the Champ! Hit hard and looked well coached.

MESSAGES->author
Re: So what did we learn?
Abberley (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 18:50
As a North Stand virgin I learned that, if sitting in the wrong row behind the posts, the crossbar obscures all action on the South try line sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 18:51 by Abberley.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 19:10
Quote:
Abberley
As a North Stand virgin I learned that, if sitting in the wrong row behind the posts, the crossbar obscures all action on the South try line sad smiley

... and I learned what you look like, Abberley, as you were pointed out to me. I understand you normally sit in the library West stand; I hope the noise didn't bother you!

Turv32
Turv32 (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 19:25
Negatives were the few injuries we had...
Positive were Oliver and Stringer would not surprise me if he got an extension. But I for one was so impressed with Hammond. That lad can play.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 19:33
Quote:
Patgadd
... and I learned what you look like, Abberley, as you were pointed out to me. I understand you normally sit in the library West stand; I hope the noise didn't bother you!

Noise always acceptable - as long as it is at appropriate times winking smiley

I did notice a distinct absence of 'bobbing' in the North Stand. Presumably, this is because the corners are visible - which is not the case from most of the West Stand seats.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 20:03
Strings is pure class. Missed one tackle just to prove he is human.

Heem is certainly not a centre.

Shillcock has bulked up a bit....good.

Tom Howe looked impressive.

I don't like watching from end on.

I too now know what a good looking chap Abberley is.

No signs of our local poltergeist though.

Little Mazda 2
Reggie's Ghost (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 20:08
Quote:
TeflonTed

No signs of our local poltergeist though.

I was there sitting top left north stand unrecognised.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 20:45
Reggie,

Looks like Abberley has taken your crown as the person to spot or be seen with.

Little Mazda 2
12 August, 2017 21:01
Quote:
FlipFlop
Reggie,

Bet it's not even his real name. 😨

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 21:03 by Reggie's Ghost.

Little Mazda 2
12 August, 2017 21:18
Second half we looked sharper. Stringer immediately injected pace. Howe will be good for us. Heem strong though played out of position. CSW jury still out. Hammond will challenge for the shirt. Cox could break into first 15 this year. Not often I stray into rugby-speak!

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 21:27
Several things about Strings......

He's usually ready for the ball at every breakdown.

He usually passes instantly, without taking a step.

He sends the ball away very quickly.

He picks the best receiver having scanned play almost instantly.

The receiver usually doesn't have to adjust to receive, the ball is where it's needed.

And he's not a bad sweeper either, although he didn't get across to the Hartpury try scorer in the second half in time to save a try...after all, he's only human, and how on earth did we come to be relying on a 5ft 7" scrummie as our last line of defence anyway?

Little Mazda 2
12 August, 2017 21:33
Quote:
TeflonTed
Several things about Strings......
and how on earth did we come to be relying on a 5ft 7" scrummie as our last line of defence anyway?

At 5'7" Reggie would have looked up to him. He was only 5'5" but a giant in the diplomatic corps. I on the other hand am 5'11".

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 21:36
Thought Arr looked good as well when he came on. Two great little breaks which is somewhat uncharacteristic and welcome.

worcestawarrior
worcestawarrior (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 22:27
It's not working out for Matti Williams,

Wah-RE-or
Wah-RE-or (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 23:07
For me the positives were;

Jamie's boot and general bulking up. I do like him at FB.
Stringer's still got it and looked feisty when he shoved the Hartpury SH out the way to get at their No 8.
Olver a very good distributor.
Hammond looking very much on form.
Donnacha telling Matti Williams to "get him out the f****** way" (repeatedly) when the linesman was holding up the play for the ref.
A much better second half performance.

Downsides;

First half rusty.
Stringer and Olver combo looks a little light though ball distribution excellent.
Injuries, injuries, injuries....
Heem's a winger.
Scrum and lineout struggled at times.

Very difficult to take too much out of this type of game but there are the makings of a reasonable team there but 10 still looks light and as has been mentioned many times a few injuries and we could be struggling.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 23:24
Quote:
FlipFlop
Reggie,

If I'd known I was being stalked, I would have got Mrs A to polish my shoes and iron a clean shirt sad smiley

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 00:26
It was very much a combined effort....blame Pattgad's mate....who knows everyone but keeps his head down!

There was a certain other regular present too, but it would be schnidy of me to name him.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 06:30
What you did there.......I see it

I think we should organise the northstand to all stand up one by one announcing that they are Abberley

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 07:24
Cox runs straighter and harder than anyone else in the squad. Heem is not a centre and struggled defensively there, as I thought he would. Shillcock showed touches of real class and has definitely been in the gym. CSW is a monster but didn't carry. Neither fly halfs kicked consistently well from hand and we are going to lose games due to missing kicks at goal.

We didn't overpower them at all in the scrum or the maul which for me is a worry. Having said that, it's very hard to be too judgemental in a game like that, and from that performance they will be useful in the Champ.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 08:34
We have a long way to go.

JP

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 08:46
Let's also remember we lost to jersey this time last year

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 10:34
Quote:
TVM Rides Again
I think we should organise the northstand to all stand up one by one announcing that they are Abberley

I'm Abberley, and so's my wife.

Balatro
Balatro (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 10:46
I'm Abberley!

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 10:51
On a serious note, I'm guessing big Joe is a stand in loosehead. If he does play loosehead in the Prem, could he take the line-out throw ins? I was a girly back many moons ago, but I'm sure I've heard one of the fat lads say it doesn't have to be a hooker who throws the ball in.

As some others have mentioned, Heem doesn't have the technique for tackling from a central position. Wings tend to tackle from the side and use the sideline as an extra defender. To suddenly step in where you're more exposed isn't easy. As such, do we have enough centres? If Te'o is playing tests, and as we currently have Mills and Stelling broken, then we only have Willison and Olivier. Is Butler ready for the step up?

Let's hope Baldwin's injury isn't too bad, although he looked in an awful lot of pain. I couldn't see what happened as he leapt on the No.8 at the scrum. I'm guessing Dave will be out for a while, I'm hoping he isn't the new Ezra Taylor.

Otherwise, It looks like Olver has a touch of the Ryan Lamb about him, albeit with a sense that he's twice the size he is when he flies into tackles. We'll see if the intercept pass is in his arsenal. Howe got one decent ball and scored, difficult to tell although he does look fast when he runs (it might just be the flowing locks ala Tom Biggs).

I left the ground feeling underwhelmed.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 11:14
Well I didn't leave underwhelmed mainly because I wasn't expecting that much from a game where so many players featured. There were very few, if any, of the combinations we might have expected and I think that we should look at things in that context.

Were there some well constructed tries? Certainly. Were there some lapses in defence? I think so. Could the forwards have done better? For discussion. Were significant players absent? Yes.

There are certainly many areas to work on and I am sure that the coaches will have taken careful note.

The number of injuries added to pull outs at the last minute is though of concern.

MESSAGES->author
drifter (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 11:54
I did not learn anything except the number on the balcont in the south stand is worrying if they are all carrying injuries + who also came off injured. think we need some substantial recruitment if we are to battle for mid table.

thought the new secong row phillips looked like a good signing. Also stringer looked a class above. other than that I could not hear a single announcement in the west stand and the club shop is seriously under stocked. could not get a 4xL polo shirt - why not ?

hoping for better at Moseley next friday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2017 11:54 by drifter.

Touchliner
Touchliner (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 12:27
Quote:
Fiver
On a serious note, I'm guessing big Joe is a stand in loosehead. If he does play loosehead in the Prem, could he take the line-out throw ins? I was a girly back many moons ago, but I'm sure I've heard one of the fat lads say it doesn't have to be a hooker who throws the ball in.

It doesn't need to be the hooker - when I first played (mid to late 60s) the winger frequently had the role!!

This law clearly has not changed if you think about the quick throw in that is now commonplace - whichever player gets their hands on the ball can do it.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 13:16
I think the North Stand should become the Abberley Stand with immediate effect.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 13:41
Just seen the Hartpury view on the game via their site.Biased in their favour! Also they said our pitch was 3G!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2017 13:45 by w4rriorz1980.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 14:50
Quote:
FlipFlop
I think the North Stand should become the Abberley Stand with immediate effect.

Well, it would be in keeping with the current sponsorship

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ayn8hxoDt9xuxVkY6xk2jaMhauCntozVunveHVWZDTIbISus0VMdntYJ198yJkqfxAClX6ReXsGulPvC4OPMRnCesd8iP-vwf1mPi4MiaLz0BwDULJdYAifPqvRIokfSloXigSsrdgGxlmtVeNecL_IfXsYtJp3cwMcWu78BGenJdvEQHs5OnGolvdwUdqWBlnqGoYxqWF6LSDAv3MjCvD_kohbV8GqT6EESPMOrlvS54x_Bx2ZxC_-phe8UMqIDAFy9ILV0cfJKJ82v1HyUqxaFsYux_GWHlTe9itvf9ZmrXJDqL2_GmZUssCHpvyGVrgPmiyB56eQtemJhJRMD9_ejpml6VtW_H278Gmqd1r0nWq_t1cGWUmN7k9Sn5SvotD2dNWsp8JK79mF-qQiTF5smeZKvQlLeSeX0plHvUXGqhjsrOmtFfwpb6TNInAhuyVgajkUIRCllLU_Kq7IdSyaHvKJYjR24l8Ur0w2ERXGlO2qnVOo5Mp4i2T7flGdturj0F9pEaMmkterTyFIGcLkNCZUXdcpL7KFSuwcKsO2UEPICRXbxK7gX-zBUKGduxdVJLGUQsFnObjxaoij-fm0Hz2lgzsCCN9t_uQETh8BoM4pIwyBUIzIR_3lmLI6kr8Bdz4EZVCCrhSSaYNAxUS5Rxsy9ikT2Y4fx2Sp5qZqsz3A=w350-h678-no

(Spotted at Tenbury Show)

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 17:19
Fiver, any player can throw in to a formed line out or a quickie. Just like any player can take place kicks.

The tradition of hookers throwing in came from the days when they were all 5' 4" x 5' 4" and not much use at anything other than hooking, which is supposed to be making a comeback this coming season, with a law stating that a front row member of the side putting into a scrum MUST make an attempt to hook.

Be interesting to see how they manage to hook a ball which is usually put in about 2 feet behind them won't it.

Little Mazda 2
13 August, 2017 20:52
Quote:
TeflonTed
Fiver, any player can throw in to a formed line out or a quickie. Just like any player can take place kicks.
The tradition of hookers throwing in came from the days when they were all 5' 4" x 5' 4" and not much use at anything other than hooking, which is supposed to be making a comeback this coming season, with a law stating that a front row member of the side putting into a scrum MUST make an attempt to hook.

Be interesting to see how they manage to hook a ball which is usually put in about 2 feet behind them won't it.

Mrs RG often puts the boot in when I least expect it.

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 10:30
Williams was good in the loose but poor throwing. But I think we knew that anyway.

Taufete'e looked good at loosehead and his carrying was good as ever. Real test will be against premiership quality tightheads.

Olver was promising, good kicking out of hand. I particularly enjoyed the cross-field kick for Hammond's score.

Great to see GJ back smashing everything. Although you do worry for his head after such a long layoff.

Agree Heem is not a centre. We need to stop this experiment. Brilliant winger but his defence and distribution are exposed at 13.

Adams, Howe and Hammond all put their hands up for 1 wing spot. Will be good to see some strong competition here this season.

Shillcock looked threatening from fullback. He has a turn of pace and good agility to beat the first man. Hope he starts against Newcastle.

Simba
Simba (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 12:18
I learnt that it has all the makings of another long, nail biting season.

MESSAGES->author
14 August, 2017 14:31
I thought the kick for Hammond was Willison.

JP

MESSAGES->author
14 August, 2017 14:34
Nope, it was Adams 2nd try which came from a cross field kick from Jackson.

JP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Worcester Warriors Poll

Do you want MOTM Polls

See results > Submit >>