rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Sammy Snake
Who should get the nod Oliver or Shilcock if Heathcote not fit?
Sammy Snake (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:14
Both have had nightmares when under pressure, Olver last week Shilcock against Munster when as first receiver bottled it and knocked on twice. Exeter will apply the same pressure.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Who should get the nod Oliver or Shilcock if Heathcote not fit?
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:17
For me Jamie is currently way ahead of Sam, taking nothing away from Sam as future potential.

scottish warrior
scottish warrior (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:22
He is D is too weak at 10 or 15 and seems more interested in show boating for the cameras / diving rather than putting his body on the line. Only need to look at Sam's defensive stats to see that he is much braver in contact

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:29
As I have alluded to in a different thread, if you prioritise defence above everything in a 10, the backs will go nowhere

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:36
Shillcock by a country mile. He did brilliantly when thrown into the team last year, I just don't understand what's happened. I never once saw any defensive issues with him last year.

Olver will play though. Either Shillcock is struggling in training or GG sees something in Olver we are yet to see. And yes I know he's only played a couple of games.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:43
I think the die is cast, Sam has to start as he has to be given time now GG has put him in front of Shillcock. If replaced now after just 40 mins of rugby what will that do to his confidence.

What has it already done to Shillcock's confidence to be told Sam is the preferred choice, after what he did for us last season.

JP

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:55
Once again - what if Jamie Shillcock has requested not being played at ten and the club have agreed to keep him sweet and fend off interest from others?

Sammy Snake
Sammy Snake (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 16:01
I would be shocked and disappointed with the coaching staff if a player as junior as Shilcock could call the shots at where he wants to play and where he doesn't. Up until the injury crisis last year at 15 Shilcock had never played anywhere but 9 and 10. I would be even more surprised that any premiership club would have interest in him based on his performances. I therefore doubt this is anything other than Olver is perferred and was signed in the knowledge that he was going to be ahead of Shilcock in the pecking order. As that decision was made under GG I doubt we will see a change of mind soon. To be honest Shilcock has hardly put forward a strong case in the first two games of the season or airing the pre season games.

scottish warrior
scottish warrior (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 16:11
Has to be Olver

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 16:18 by scottish warrior.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 16:18
Didn't Jamie play 10 at Warwick, rather than 9?

I also spoke to him after the home semi play-off and I'm sure that he said he preferred playing 10 to 9 but was just happy to be selected at that time.

Having a 9 who's played 10, and vice versa, is not a bad idea anyway, because they then have a much better understanding of what their 10 wants/9 is likely to do.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 16:42
Well if Shilly has said he only wants to play 10 and got his way, will Mills get his by saying he wants to play at 12?

Both presumably will remain on the bench until last man standing in this instance IMO.

Not sure Chiefs are the best game to go again in Olver's case. With proper handling by coaching staff, he could 'suffer' being dropped in place of Shillcock and then come back stronger.

Might have to play them both anyway, as i can't see TH being fully okay, no matter what the Meds and HIA state. Chiefs would play on the fragility and run plenty at him in attack, to test TH's tackling commitment with what seems to be a 50/50 chance of another knock occurring.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 16:56
I'm fairly confident Jamie hasn't requested to be a utility back which is effectively what he is at the moment.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 17:00
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
Didn't Jamie play 10 at Warwick, rather than 9?
I also spoke to him after the home semi play-off and I'm sure that he said he preferred playing 10 to 9 but was just happy to be selected at that time.

Having a 9 who's played 10, and vice versa, is not a bad idea anyway, because they then have a much better understanding of what their 10 wants/9 is likely to do.

Yes.

You just get used to reading comments made by some who either don't bother to read history or choose to ignore it.

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 17:10
Would rather see Shillcock because atleast he looks slightly more imposing than Olver, and they might not target him quite as much.
Shilly also has far more range on kicking to touch which is important for relieving pressure on the pack which will be very important. He just really needs to speed up on his kicking action because it feels like he's going to get charged down/near charged down everytime!
And anything to keep him from defending at 15 like he did - it's not tackling technique that let him down, just those defensive decisions that is more important for a fullback.

Malvern Man
Malvern Man (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 17:26
With the latest injury list, Maximus could be playing.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 18:28
WN saying that Tom looks likely to be fit to play.

"Sweating over" Teo and Willison though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net