rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MSR-Worcester
2017-18 European Challenge Cup squad announced
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 09:31
[www.epcrugby.com]

Quote:
Worcester Warriors
Annett, Niall; Singleton, Jack; Taufete'e, Joe; Williams, Matti; Alo, Biyi; Bower, Ryan; Kerrod, Simon; Milasinovich, Gareth; Schonert, Nick; Waller, Ethan; Barry, Darren; O'Callaghan, Donncha; Phillips Pierce; Scotland-Williamson, Christian; Spencer, Will; Cox, Matt; Denton, David; Faosiliva, Alafoti; Kirwan, Carl; Lewis, Sam; Taylor, Huw; van Velze, GJ; Arr, Jonny; Baldwin, Luke; Dowsett, Michael; Hougaard, Francois; Heathcote, Tom; Olver, Sam; Shillcock, Jamie; Mills, Ryan; Olivier, Wynand; Stelling, Max; Te'o, Ben; Willison, Jackson; Adams, Josh; Hammond, Dean; Heem, Bryce; Howe, Tom; Humphreys, Perry; Howard, Ben; Pennell, Chris

In contrast to previous years we appear to be taking this competition very seriously, as the squad is made up of entirely first team players. No current academy players have made the cut, I would have thought Tom Dodd, Will Butler and Andrew Kitchener would have made the cut personally.

The only first team players omitted are Marco Mama, Dewald Potgieter and Peter Stringer. Presumably because of injuries and the latter's short-term deal.

Many argued we should take this competition seriously before the season, but given our current league and injury status (17 players down) is this wise? In my opinion we should prioritise premiership survival over reaching the knock-out stages of the ECC.

w4rriorz1980
Re: 2017-18 European Challenge Cup squad announced
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 09:36
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/worcester_warriors.php?section=3
Quote:
Worcester Warriors
Annett, Niall; Singleton, Jack; Taufete'e, Joe; Williams, Matti; Alo, Biyi; Bower, Ryan; Kerrod, Simon; Milasinovich, Gareth; Schonert, Nick; Waller, Ethan; Barry, Darren; O'Callaghan, Donncha; Phillips Pierce; Scotland-Williamson, Christian; Spencer, Will; Cox, Matt; Denton, David; Faosiliva, Alafoti; Kirwan, Carl; Lewis, Sam; Taylor, Huw; van Velze, GJ; Arr, Jonny; Baldwin, Luke; Dowsett, Michael; Hougaard, Francois; Heathcote, Tom; Olver, Sam; Shillcock, Jamie; Mills, Ryan; Olivier, Wynand; Stelling, Max; Te'o, Ben; Willison, Jackson; Adams, Josh; Hammond, Dean; Heem, Bryce; Howe, Tom; Humphreys, Perry; Howard, Ben; Pennell, Chris

In contrast to previous years we appear to be taking this competition very seriously, as the squad is made up of entirely first team players on. No current academy players have made the cut, I would have thought Tom Dodd, Will Butler and Andrew Kitchener would have made the cut personally.

The only first team players omitted are Marco Mama, Dewald Potgieter and Peter Stringer. Presumably because of injuries and the latter's short-term deal.

Many argued we should take this competition seriously before the season, but given our current league and injury status (17 players down) is this wise? In my opinion we should prioritise premiership survival over reaching the knock-out stages of the ECC.
Also no Lance presumably for the same reasons as Stringer.
Disappointed also the lack of academy players.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 09:58
We need to generate a winning mindset and this could very much help us out.

The Anglo/Welsh will be the time to blood academy lads

I think this is part of our recovery plan.

JP

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:01
Finally taking this competition seriously! We have the opportunity to get some wins and we should take it.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:17
Arn't a number of the academy lads on dual contracts with Moseley etc.,? so perhaps that is looked upon as the path. I agree it would be good to see one or two included.

kceWarrior
kceWarrior (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:28
Isn't Annett out for the season?

MSR-Worcester
06 October, 2017 10:34
Thought Annett was out for most of the season. Surely he would only be available for the knock out stages at best, doesn't make sense having him in over a youngster like Beck Cutting.

I see the thinking with gaining some form/momentum in Europe before returning to premiership but think we run the risk of picking up even more injuries with this strategy.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:57
Think AWC will be the best place to blood the youth along with the extended A League. Many of the teams faced in the A League put out development squads in the main, so maybe we are trying to treat it the same as others have for some time.

Making the Euro games more first team standard, should hopefully help attendance at these games too. The standard from the opposition should be similar too, which will help the players maintain their game time and intensity. Picking up more critical injuries in the Euro Cup is my on real concern from this decision.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:04
Quote:
Faithful_City
We need to generate a winning mindset and this could very much help us out.
The Anglo/Welsh will be the time to blood academy lads

I think this is part of our recovery plan.

JP

Agreed

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 12:10
Let's be honest, with the current injury list, the rest of the First team squad will have to play in the ECC anyway!!!

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 15:42
As someone who is going over to oyonnax, I am glad we are putting out a strong squad

MSR-Worcester
17 October, 2017 15:51
Durutalo has been registered for Europe in place of Matt Cox. Presumably will play against Connacht.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 16:01
Glad for Durutalo, but bad news for Coxy.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 16:14
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
Durutalo has been registered for Europe in place of Matt Cox. Presumably will play against Connacht.

Confirmation.

With Jono Lance having previously been added, we only have a front-row sub left available for the Group stages.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 18:16
Quote:
FlipFlop
Glad for Durutalo, but bad news for Coxy.

Cox is out for a while isn't he?

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 19:12
It would seem Cox is out for a while

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 19:17
That's really cruel on Matt, if true. He didn't get much game time last season and really grabbed his opportunity this season with both hands, I thought. Really wears the shirt with pride.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net