rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

warriorgibbo
North not West maybe the future
warriorgibbo (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 18:52
A very interesting development I think, in David Lloyd today was a few well heeled and high ranking Scottish Rugby folk having a look around, wonder what they would be interested in,

ROLLO on tour
Re: North not West maybe the future
ROLLO (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 19:02
I don't think there is much money in Scottish rugby.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 19:08
Duncan Bannantyne’s family checking out the Health & Fitness competition .....

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 19:36
There’s definitely no money up there and very very little investment/interest in Rugby.

JP

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 21:33
Quote:
Faithful_City
There’s definitely no money up there and very very little investment/interest in Rugby.
JP

The owner of Aberdeen Asset Management is Scottish and a huge rugby fan he once offered to fund a third professional team in Scotland.

MESSAGES->author
11 October, 2017 22:34
One swallow does not a summer make.

I doo believe that is a long time ago and he has invested in rugby still. To sponsor a 3rd pro team in Scotland casts less than half that of an English premiership club

JP

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 23:07
It was 2014 so not that long ago. There may only be a few people who earn enough money in Scotland to buy a rugby team but he is probably one of them, his salary was a rather low for him £2.8 million last year (apparently a £1.5 million pay cut from 2016). I am sure with his interest in rugby and his contacts in business he could put a rather impressive consortium forward with little effort if he wanted too.

Bushi
Bushi (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 09:37
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Quote:
Faithful_City
JP

The owner of Aberdeen Asset Management is Scottish and a huge rugby fan he once offered to fund a third professional team in Scotland.

They have recently merged with Standard Life, I can't see any major investing coming along from them. It'd be up to the merged Board and I'm guessing they're busy streamlining the new company

MESSAGES->author
12 October, 2017 09:53
If that is is typical wealth then he is nowhere near able to sponsor and English Prem Team

I would suggest he would need at least £500million in the bank

JP

warriorgibbo
warriorgibbo (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 10:03
As with all things, the investment required is for what you may or may not be purchasing, if the Allen's want to retain the property and are just selling "the Rugby club" the price is dramatically reduced and "could" satisfy a requirement for development of professional Rugby in Scotland.

My understanding was that these Northern raiders were not a private company / investor but more Scottish Rugby based

As with everything, time will tell

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 14:28
Why oh why do all of these people end up in David Lloyd?

Want to buy my house? Well come and have a poke round the neighbours.....

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 14:46
I believe it was LiH looking to launch a 'raid on Sixways following the Bryan Adams debacle.

If he and his consortium can buy the club and ground, he'd make sure of no more concerts on the site(Sm100)

(Sm161),I hope you realised that LiH

warriorgibbo
warriorgibbo (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 13:47
Ssssoooooooooo

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 13:56
In the Rubgy Paper today that the Scottish RFU are now interested in taking us over and using us as a hub for Scottish players so gibbos post might have something to it

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 14:39
IF true, and the Allens are seriously considering this, how does it sit with Guerrier's assertion that they want Warriors to be a community club, a focus of the local area, bringing through local talent? Not sure we've got a huge number of quality Scottish exiles in Worcestershire.

Still, could offer an opportunity for rebranding: how about a Cavalier hat above a sporran sporting the 3 pears, in honour of the Scottish warriors who fought for Charles at the Battle of Worcester?

Whatever you do, do it safely!

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 16:50
Maybe when we get relegated from the AP we'll end up in the Celtic League or whatever they call themselves. Does anyone else get the feeling that the board are deliberately trying to alienate the club's supporters?

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 17:09
We are of course nowhere near what is actually going on but there are apparently, possibly, maybe at least two interested parties in investing in / buying Worcester: Griffiths and "the Scots". As far as we can see - which is not very far - they offer very different futures for the club.

I can't see that Griffiths has gone away totally as otherwise he would not have intervened on this board. At the very least it was an exercise in gathering supporters' interest and in its way a prospectus for the way ahead.

The Scots initiative is baffling because I just cannot see how it fits in with an English Premiership team however struggling. Is the SRFU trying to construct a third team after Glasgow and Edinburgh from which to select their national squad?

And of course there may well be other interested parties yet to appear in the press / rumour machine. Expressions of interest were, I think, to come in by the end of the month. There is still time.

We may live in "interesting times" but sometimes I wish we could just concentrate on the rugby.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 18:48
Quote:
Teme Dream
Maybe when we get relegated from the AP we'll end up in the Celtic League or whatever they call themselves. Does anyone else get the feeling that the board are deliberately trying to alienate the club's supporters?

Nope.

We've had a bunch of rumours of varying degrees of likely veracity

I know everyone wants an update on what's going on - but they've told us about the Griffiths one

And the other parties will likely ask us the board to keep everything confidential.

It's a multi-million pound deal. I certainly would ask them not to go blathering on about it

Scottish one sounds like chip paper material to me

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 18:56
Where would RFU for need no stand if in effect we are creating a team fit SRFU?

Yeap I know the feeder is Cockney Jocks due to them having no team on the day before the Champ started, butbthe SRFU withdrew the funding initially to cause that.

This idea seems to want the income streams of the Prem but be run like a Pro 14 side. Maybe EG can get a Saffer suite of owners to create a team for the SARFU.

The more I hear or read, the more the club seems to be becoming a West End farce. Perhaps that is what EG meant when he mentioned “ looking West”?

backrow
backrow (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 19:18
In Worcester today think i saw J.p. in his Warriors shirt and a kilt .(Sm100)

PMB
PMB (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 21:21
Reading between the lines I suspect that the biggest obstacle to any deal on the "sale" of Warriors is the apparent wish to not include the recently obtained freehold to Sixways.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 21:32
Sure it was clearly stated previously that the freehold was also for sale.

Brummagem Bertie
15 October, 2017 22:12
This is where I am getting a little exasperated with the Board.

EG has presented us with his vision for taking the club forward, clearly stating that he wants to keep the club in Worcester, with a focus on bringing through young local and EQP players. He says he is determined to take a long-term view as far as coaching/DoR is concerned. He wants to make the club a successful and sustainable Premiership team, finishing his career in rugby here.

I'm not sure what the Board's/Allens' vision is. Sure, the Allens initially bought into the Dean Ryan vision but that has gone by the wayside, with Solomons the latest in a series of short-term appointments that do not seem to be connected by anything other than keeping Warriors in the Prem whilst they sort out the ownership issue.

We have had a, seemingly, well-connected poster say that the Allens had a vision of making the club sustainable and turning it over to the supporters in some sort of community owned model. If true, that's the first time that's been stated. The same poster says that the Allens/Board have the best interests of the club and supporters to heart and want it to go to the right people, but there is precious little detail and no explanation of why EG isn't the right person, or what the criteria really are.

Officially, it depends on which story in which paper you read and which week it is. The Allens are either looking for some additional investment, to spread the load, or the sale of a controlling interest, or to sell the club entirely, with or without the freehold of Sixways.

If you want to take people with you, for them to trust you and give you their support, honesty and transparency are crucial. EG clearly understands this but the Board/Allens don't appear to. It's not commercial confidentiality that is stopping them espousing clearly their vision/hopes/aims for the club going forward.

From my observations of comments on here and my discussions with friends/fellow supporters, the Board/Allens are rapidly squandering whatever supporter goodwill they have had. Once gone, that is going to be very difficult for even a new owner to get back and the club could suffer greatly for it. If the Board/Allens genuinely do still care for the club they really need to engage much more openly with supporters, and quickly, IMHO. It can't wait until the deadline for expressions of interest has passed.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 22:16
Suspect the Gus evening may provide a few answers but we’ll have been linked with two Russian oligarchs and a Martian consortium by then!

Brummagem Bertie
15 October, 2017 22:22
Quote:
usa warrior
Suspect the Gus evening may provide a few answers but we’ll have been linked with two Russian oligarchs and a Martian consortium by then!

I suspect that the only answer on this we will get from Gus will be along the lines of,

"We've had expressions of interest from several interested parties. The Board will now consider those expressions and come to a decision on whether to proceed with any of them in due course. That's all I'm able to say on the ownership issue so we'll now move on to an analysis of the post match surveys that we've been sending out this season."

MESSAGES->author
15 October, 2017 22:42
BB, AGREED COMPLETELY

JP

OverTheBoarder
OverTheBoarder (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 23:30
Edward Griffiths hit the nail on the head when describing us as “emotional shareholders”. There does need to be somewhat of a reality check in that some (not myself), expect the actual shareholders in a business to divulge the details of a multimillion pound sale.

Why would would the Allens weaken their position by informing potential investors and or buyers by announcing the details of the bids received to date? It simply doesn’t make business sense.

I will add however that the sale should include the freehold of the land, as surely potential investors will require it as an asset to borrow against in the future?

Brummagem Bertie
16 October, 2017 00:25
OTB, I don't expect the Board/Allens to divulge any details of the sale, as I think my response to usa made clear. I fully expect not to receive any details officially, until any sale has been concluded: even after the Board/Allens have assessed any expressions of interest, the only public pronouncement I expect to hear would be on the lines of,

"The Board have a preferred bidder, who will now start a process of due diligence. A further announcement will be made in due course."

I still hold the view, however, that commercial confidentiality doesn't stop the Board/Allens setting out their vision/hopes for the club and how any proposed sale is meant to achieve that. Vague sentiments about wanting the best for the club and supporters do not a vision make, IMO.

As for business sense, whilst we may only be "emotional shareholders" we are also, importantly, customers, most of us loyal ones at that. Good businesses appreciate that it makes no sense at all to p!55 off a loyal customer base, especially if your floating customer base is a little fickle.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 07:33
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
This is where I am getting a little exasperated with the board.
If you want to take people with you, for them to trust you and give you their support, honesty and transparency are crucial. EG clearly understands this but the Board/Allens don't appear to. It's not commercial confidentiality that is stopping them espousing clearly their vision/hopes/aims for the club going forward.

From my observations of comments on here and my discussions with friends/fellow supporters, the Board/Allens are rapidly squandering whatever supporter goodwill they have had. Once gone, that is going to be very difficult for even a new owner to get back and the club could suffer greatly for it. If the Board/Allens genuinely do still care for the club they really need to engage much more openly with supporters, and quickly, IMHO. It can't wait until the deadline for expressions of interest has passed.

I agree with this. Obviously taking what is reported in the RP I can't see how getting into bed with the SRU or retaining the freehold is in the best interest of the club, supporters or players?

Surely a new owner would potentially need the freehold to secure loans in the futute if needed?

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 08:24
I keep hearing about an evening with Gus, how did the club advertise this? As a season ticket holder, I can't remember receiving any notification, do I need to look at my spam filter?

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 08:53
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
Quote:
usa warrior

I suspect that the only answer on this we will get from Gus will be along the lines of,

"We've had expressions of interest from several interested parties. The Board will now consider those expressions and come to a decision on whether to proceed with any of them in due course. That's all I'm able to say on the ownership issue so we'll now move on to an analysis of the post match surveys that we've been sending out this season."

BB: I think that you are quite right about this. But then why hold the meeting when the only question the supporters will want answering is about the ownership of the club? Why not postpone it until there is something concrete to say?

Saying nothing - even if commercially, logically that is the right thing to do - will only dissatisfy supporters even more.

I hate to use the tired old cliché but the elephant in that room will not want to be ignored.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 08:55
Quote:
Fiver
As a season ticket holder, I can't remember receiving any notification...

They seem to operate two separate mailing lists.

Mrs A and myself both receive an email copy of the periodic 'newsletters' etc., but other emails, such as this meeting invite, 'Team News' for the forthcoming game, 'Club Statement' re: GG etc. only ever arrive as a single email (addressed to Mrs A, presumably as she holds the credit cards etc.)

If you are looking in Spam, the invite email was dated 12th October and the subject was "Upcoming Supporter Events at Sixways Stadium".

Brummagem Bertie
16 October, 2017 13:18
I think that STHs can update their email settings and what lists they are subscribed to through their online account, the one used to order tickets, etc.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 17:42
A poster on Foolbook has suggested on good authority a local Businessman with connections to Warriors is putting together a consortium to take over the club

Brummagem Bertie
16 October, 2017 18:50
Quote:
knightstemplar
A poster on Foolbook has suggested on good authority a local Businessman with connections to Warriors is putting together a consortium to take over the club

John Gibson, perhaps?

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 19:55
If he wears that tie we won't need the floodlights!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net