rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

WorcesterSauce
Quins game
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 14:16
Anyone watching? Unbelievable effort so far

Jones'
Re: Quins game
Jones' (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 14:24
Where could I watch it?

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 14:27
Could be 18 points up though. Quins have basically had two attacks and scored easily both times.

vigorniensis
vigorniensis (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 14:28
If we could only have got our kicks we'd have been way in front. But now 17-18 and all those kicking points wasted.

Tackling has been great but starting to look slightly tired at halftime.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 14:29
Really good first half! Played so well so far! Lance and Olivier have been really good. Attack looks so much more var8ed without relying on the crash ball from teo.

Shame the kicks haven't gone to well. First 2 conversions were difficult but the 3rd and penalty should have gone over

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/10/2017 14:30 by Ake1985.

rossi
Mr_Worcester (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 14:30
Pretty much dominated everything so far. Jono lance has been outstanding.

Unlucky that all conversions have been from the touch line/long distance meaning we've left 9 points on the tee. Also doesn't help that all their kicks have been straight infront of the posts.

They probably didn't deserve to go in at half time within a point of us but this game is still ours to lose.

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 14:30
Great performance, but poor captaincy going for the posts from the Lewis turnover - our line-out is looking dominant, and goal kicking poor, so why not keep possession in their half as we've looked dangerous?

WorcesterSauce
28 October, 2017 14:32
Can watch it on bet365 or unibet.

To be fair the theee conversions were all hard but youd expect us to get one of them and the missed penalty.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 14:33
First away win is looking within reach, be happy to get the 2 bonus points tho!

Whispering_Death
28 October, 2017 14:36
Fitness will tell in this game. Ball seemed to be in play a lot and players on both sides looked tired. Quins shouldnít be anywhere near us but given how easy their tries were they will score more.

WorcesterSauce
28 October, 2017 14:36
One thing worth bearing in mind is quins bench is massively weak

Whispering_Death
28 October, 2017 14:38
Or Cricfree

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 14:45
Looks like Olivier gone and Heathcote at 10 with lance at 12.

Interesting to see how they combine!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 14:54
Quins score while Warriors heads still in the dressing room.

Olivier is a big loss now.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 14:56
This game is there for the taking.

Itís all how we perform after 60 mins.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 14:59
Denton hobbles off whilst Arr looks in trouble after taking loumanu down.

Taylor and Dowsett on.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 15:06
Great show of respect by Quinís fans when art went off.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 15:07
Based on Twitter I think Arr may be a potential concussion next week.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 15:10
Quote:
FlipFlop
Based on Twitter I think Arr may be a potential concussion next week.

Looked like his leg was all wrapped up in supports on th3 stretcher! Could be a bad break!

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 15:10
Danny Care is destroying us at both ends of the pitch!! Best player on the pitch my such a long way

Whispering_Death
28 October, 2017 15:11
Thatís twice our centres have been clear through with absolutely no support. Care and Smithís boot have won it for Quins.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 15:19
Chasing Quins shadows...

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 15:19
Quins have been a lot better than us so far this half. We don't really look like scoring another try at the moment, where as Quins look dangerous every time they come forward.

Olivier is a big loss! Not sure why we moved lance to 12 instead of just bringing Hammond on at 13. Lance is just not as influential at 12!

Whispering_Death
28 October, 2017 15:22
Going to end up being a cricket score unfortunately.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 15:24
At least we have a point! Hammond with a good finish but another missed (difficult) conversion.

Irish look like they're getting nothing at the moment

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 15:35
Hammond with 2nd try! Great finish in the corner! He should be starting! Best finisher in the squad.

Left I think 13 points on the field from missed kicks

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 15:37
Singleton with our 6th try!!! When was the last time we scores this many tries!! We would have won this game if we had a kicker

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 15:40
What a great game! 2 points!

Don't know how we have scored 6 tries and not come away with 5 points!

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 15:41
Good effort much more physical. Pity we have no kicker

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 15:46
Chuffed with the lbp but please, when are we going to get a kicker?

I know some were tricky but it is really costing us.

WorcesterSauce
28 October, 2017 15:46
I know it isnt easy and i knownJOT would be the first to tell us they are waiting for the right player but how long are we going to wait? It isn't rocket science - to win premiership rugby games you need to have a good kicker. 1/7 will not win you games - You can even score 6 tries and lose. Still, i guess we'll just sit back and wait until the right player comes along.

Whispering_Death
28 October, 2017 15:48
If only Lance was available long term, he looks a class act. We seemed to want to play today, always looking for the off-load. Support play let us down a little bit, kicking obviously, and one on one tackles at times. Very positive performance though with some key players hopefully slotting back in over the next few weeks.

Latecomer
Latecomer (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 15:51
Quote:
Whispering_Death
Going to end up being a cricket score unfortunately.

Not quite so WD !! Pretty good run chase by Warriors eh ??

Whispering_Death
28 October, 2017 15:52
We said at the start of the season we will lose games due to our lack of a quality kicker. Today it cost us three points and a win. It wonít be the last game this season we lose for this reason.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 15:52
Not sure why Hammond figures so infrequently.

Good fight back, but Quins scored so easily. Omar still not stopping the points A flow anymore than Cross did last year.

Kicks again. Master Smith shows important a boot is. Without his boot, we win. Really simple.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 16:01
4 of the 6 conversions were on the touchline! None easy but you would expect a premiership 10 to get more kicks than we did! That and a brilliant Danny Care has cosy us the win!

Cares tackle on Arr on his own try line was superb! The guy is a class above!!

Hammond is by far the best finisher in the squad and should definitely be more involved! Even if it's just as one of our "finishers" as England would call them!

The oddest decision for me was replacing Olivier with Heathcote! Lance was much less involved when moved to 12 and Heathcote understandably looked rusty! Should have been the like for like substitute!

Injury side, I assume Arr has gone for a while, looked bad. Denton hobbled off and Olivier didn't come out after HT

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 16:15
6 tries and 2 points is a really good haul and the team should feel proud of themselves.

I'm sure they are as frustrated with the kicking as well though.

Bit closer to Irish and I'm glad to hear that our attack looked decent. How bad were our injuries? All I've seen is that Arr isn't as bad as first feared.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 16:25
Given the start to the season so far, I think 2 points from an away game is not to be sneezed at. Now it's 3 weeks to the next Prem game and every hope that one or three or four of our first choice players will be back from the treatment room.

Had the team lost by 20 points it would have been time for despondency. Now I am rather more optimistic. Whilst it's far, far too early to talk about momentum...

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 16:26
Well done on a good fightback lads. Didn't see it, but must have been some grit to rally like that.
Hopefully this is a corner turned.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 16:33
I think after an ugly battling win against Brive, a determined showing against Connacht and now this performance shows things are going in the right direction.

Bring Schonert, Hougaard, Mills, Heem and Pennell back into the side and we stand a chance of getting something from Saints at home! Hopefully get a couple of Prem wins before the end of the year

Whispering_Death
28 October, 2017 17:29
Surely Olivier was injured, although he didnít seem to be. If it was tactical itís baffling. The ref said Arr was cold out but also seemed to have leg in a brace. Denton looked pretty despondent coming off but then again he has history of exaggerating!

WorcesterSauce
28 October, 2017 17:33
Dont think arrs leg was in a brace?

Whispering_Death
28 October, 2017 17:59
My eyes may well have deceived me but it looked like there was something round his leg. Pretty sure the commentator commented on it also.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 18:21
I heard the commentator mention a leg brace too, I thought it was a concussion from what I saw.
Whilst we could have won that with half decent kicking we scored enough points that we'd have still won if we could have defended half decent.

I'm still annoyed we kicked the ball away at the end, we were shredding their defence, why didn't we go for it?

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 18:22
Arr v Luamanu always had one outcome. Hoping it is not serious, but sense Arr wonít be available for a while.

WorcesterSauce
28 October, 2017 18:22
Yes WD think it was actually a medical bag that was just by his leg. Jonny Arr has tweeted saying he is ok and walking around with mention of his leg. He'll probably have the next two weeks off.

MESSAGES->author
Skipper (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 19:50
Spoke to Arr after the game and there was no leg brace.

Best away game I have seen for a long time, Denton and Spencer were outstanding, Howe put in a good shift as well. If it was not for a few soft tries due to us switching off when defending (which is a shame as we generally defended really well) and we had kicked our points......

One aspect that struck me today was how much better our handling and ball retention was, its been poor for so long now where has the turn around come from? Far less kicking today which was nice as well.

Warriordad
Warriordad (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 19:58
It isnít often I will stick up for Arr but until injured he was playing very well. I normally slate how slow he is but he really gave us tempo. He got injured due to throwing his body under the Quins 8 as that was the only way he could stop him. Denton and Spencer impressed, as did JT, TH and Jono Lance (who we should keep if we can).

A lack of concentration in attack cost us two tries the other way as the ball went straight to a quins hand. Apart from that I am happy the boys put in a strong shift and if we continue to perform we will get the result soon.

As for kicking it away at the end that was the right thing to do in my opinion. This is based on the phrase donít gamble what you donít have and we clearly donít have enough points to put the ones we do have at risk.

Well done worcester, great to watch you play today.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 20:56
Olivier was a tight hamstring. Hopefully just precautionary before it pulled.

Hallowed Warrior
Hallowed Warrior (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 20:58
Harlequins director of rugby John Kingston:

"I'm proud that we rolled our sleeves up to get the victory as we have 28 players out due to injury or unavailability and it's been a challenging week."

Worcester head coach Carl Hogg:

"We showed a huge amount of spirit to come back and set up a grandstand finish and we are happy with the two points.Ē

IMHO today was a missed opportunity for a win and to be happy with 2 points rather than 5 says a lot about the psychology of the club.

Think like winners and we may just turn the corner this season.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 22:17
Quote:
Hallowed Warrior
Harlequins director of rugby John Kingston:
"I'm proud that we rolled our sleeves up to get the victory as we have 28 players out due to injury or unavailability and it's been a challenging week."

Worcester head coach Carl Hogg:

"We showed a huge amount of spirit to come back and set up a grandstand finish and we are happy with the two points.Ē

IMHO today was a missed opportunity for a win and to be happy with 2 points rather than 5 says a lot about the psychology of the club.

Think like winners and we may just turn the corner this season.

Absolutely fair comment, but it's part of the job to be positive in press statements.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 22:45
With a proper kicker we would've won.Simple.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 22:47
I think he is right to look for the positives. We have had so few this year, and confidence has been so low, that he really should be bigging them up. I can't lay any blame at him for that. Our team showed a lot of grit to get that LBP.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
28 October, 2017 23:09
2 points away from home vs Quins I wont grumble about that.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 07:06
Quote:
Warriordad

As for kicking it away at the end that was the right thing to do in my opinion. This is based on the phrase donít gamble what you donít have and we clearly donít have enough points to put the ones we do have at risk.

Well done worcester, great to watch you play today.

For me you play to win, a losing bonus point is a consolation not an aim.

I did enjoy the way we attempted to play though, were we running the ball more due to gold being away? I think we might have been.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 07:34
Bit torturous to see Lance running the show but is then leaving in a matter of weeks. We so need a top prem 10.(he should have stayed at 10)

A few more kicks and a few less loose tackles and we would have won that.

Whispering_Death
29 October, 2017 08:34
Heís leaving at the end of the year isnít he so still plenty of time to make a difference especially once FH is playing alongside. But agree, great example of what difference a class ten can make. But as WS said on another thread, letís keep biding our time for the right ten, no rush...

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 08:37
Mills can be very good on the day as well. Just need to keep him fit somehow.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 09:27
News of Arr and Olivier:-
[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
IanRed (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 18:14
At least we have beaten Welshes 1 point for the season. Onwards and upwards

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 19:33
Quote:
IanRed
At least we have beaten Welshes 1 point for the season. Onwards and upwards

I like it, positive thinking, that's what we all need I reckon.
Here's my positives
GI Joe does much better with the lineout when he starts
Waller looked good
Spencer was the best lock on the pitch again
Another good performance from Lewis
Dowsett got better the longer he was on the pitch, was quite impressed with how he finished.
Lance looks a cracking player plus he can't place kick for toffee so he seems familiar and what I'm used to
Willison had a good game
We scored lots of tries

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 20:31
Actually thought Tom Howe looked pretty good as well. We have riches on the wings atm.

If I were the coaches Iíd give Hammond the next two games at 13. He is in great form and we need him on the pitch, but he wonít get in at 11/14.

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
29 October, 2017 22:25
I'd say he's better than any winger we've got at the moment because of his defence and work-rate as well as his finishing. But could be worth playing him into the 13 shirt over the next few weeks and see if he can settle there.

WorcesterSauce
29 October, 2017 23:37
To be honest with olivier and teo injured we are short on options at centre anyway. Willison needs a rest as he's played every game so far so i agree with playing hammond at centre. Would put him and butler in the centres for the next two games.

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 07:43
How much has Hammond play at centre?
Believe moving Lance to centre with Heathcote at 10 was right call, even although Lance was playing great at 10.
Lance has vast experience/success at centre, where as someone with less experience/success could just struggle.
In the end they scored tries, so we may never know what would have been the right call.
Would love to see Hammond play more games, but who would you drop Heem, Humphreys, Adams?

Watched highlights last night. Great game and proud of performance even if we lost.
Was beginning to seriously consider Championship Rugby next year, now i am convinced we will be in the Premership next year.
We are only 3 points behind Irish and key players are returning to fitness.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 07:51
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
To be honest with olivier and teo injured we are short on options at centre anyway. Willison needs a rest as he's played every game so far so i agree with playing hammond at centre. Would put him and butler in the centres for the next two games.

I imagine that the next two games, AW Cup, will be played with a different set of players and with probably rather less intensity. It will, as you say, also provide an opportunity to rest the likes of Willison.

There will also be a chance for other players who have been rather "in the shadows" and not just because of injury. I am thinking particularly of Stelling who appeared to be fit at the open training session and who was one of our hopes for the future a couple of seasons ago.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 07:53
Hog has already said he intends to us the A/W for the younger budding players.

JP

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 08:36
Quote:
Faithful_City
Hog has already said he intends to us the A/W for the younger budding players.
JP

Wonder if Max Stelling will get a game? Its a great shame he has not developed so far as the year under Ryan in the championship he looked like he had the potential to be a very good premiership player.

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 08:56
Like to see Will Butler too

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 09:00
Not just Will Butler the center that came on in the 2nd half against Wasps on Monday evening looked very useful.

JP

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 09:04
It's almost as though the "easy" year in the championship spoiled Max. It looked so easy for him that perhaps he needed more of a challenge. I'd love to see him correct whatever it is that has stopped him getting more premiership chances (injuries aside).

The big thing for me watching the highlights, was the lack of formation by the forwards for the Walker try. I'm used to a line being organised to trundle after a kick (I know Howe made a chase, but that shouldn't matter). There was no line whatsoever. Flats said that Quins weren't communicating for their defensive errors, I'd say the same about our boys.

Perhaps the only thing holding us back is a lack of voices on the field, I know we have the talent, but talent only gets you do far.

There is an old phase, "hard work will always triumph over talent that refuses to work hard". I've no doubt our boys physically work hard, but I find myself continually banging on about the mental side of sport on this forum.

The mental side will get our defence organised, it will also get more kicks between the posts. It will win us games.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 09:06
Five, thatís more or less what Vesty said at the open training Q&A re. the return of FH.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 09:30
TT, we need more than one man with mental strength, 15 ideally.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 09:45
Quote:
Fiver
TT, we need more than one man with mental strength, 15 ideally.

Yes, and we have coaches who freely admit that this is not been not being achieved. When I asked Vesty why we didnít play more Ďheads-upĒ rugby he said he wished we did, and didnít know why we didnít.

He was very open about the difficulties of maintaining confidence, and hence an expectation of improvement when FH returns.

The elephant in the room remains the issue of whether this is just players and coaches not optimising potential, or of players and coaches being just not quite good enough, in which case, and despite all the best intentions, the potential for significant improvement simply doesnít exist.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 11:49
I always think of the way we played against Quins in the first half at sixways last season. We were like a steam roller. Given that mentality we'd win loads of games.

vigorniensis
vigorniensis (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 13:10

Sutton Warrior
Sutton Warrior (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 13:28
I only saw this on the highlights show last night so easy to get a false impression ( especially as the missed kicks were edited out). Jono looked a good player in a loose game and the backs seemed to have some of the zip they developed towards the end of last season. Some shocking defending though as other have said.The next two weeks give the first choice players down time and we ought to us it as just that. Key games coming before Christmas - ad LI the friday before the holiday period starts

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 00:36
Anyone feel like explaining why Humphries' turnover was a penalty? Reckon that killed the game for us (although I acknowledge the kicking went most of the way to it).

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 06:30
Because Doyle said it was - and was clearly wrong.

WorcesterSauce
31 October, 2017 07:03
Was a shocking decision at a vital time in the game. One of the worst decisions you will see.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 10:07
Hogg's reflections on the game:-

Arr gets quite some criticism on this board from time to time and it is interesting to read Hogg's comments especially in the light of Vesty's thoughts at the training session where he implied that Worcester had been guilty of playing too much by numbers and too little "heads up" rugby.

I interpret this as an understanding of what needs to be done. Let's hope they can get it done.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 13:20
I'm convinced the lack of heads up rugby is partially due to Gary gold wanting us to play a more territory based game so we concede less compared to coaches like vesty who wants us to attack from deeper.

I thought arr played alright but I'm convinced we won have won with hougaard as I think he'd have physically won the battle with care.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 18:02
A clue here as to selection for the AW games:-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net