rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
Summary of the Chairman's Meeting
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 16:55

MESSAGES->author
Re: Summary of the Chairman's Meeting
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 17:09
Well done WRSC for initiating the meeting.

Fully understand the confidentially of some of the information.

Good to read the aims of the board are centered around the Rugby, community and Supporters. I really hope they are successful in finding the right investor. Although it may be difficult find someone who does not want to make a profit from land utilization.

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/10/2017 07:50 by Powick Eastander.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 17:19
Thank you for the update all very useful although clearly the club cannot give much away on the sale of the club which is understandable.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 17:21
Great stuff. Sounds as though we may be losing a few players though. Wonder who? Singleton would be my guess as to one who will be off... sam lewis another.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/10/2017 17:21 by WorcesterSauce.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 17:33
Those potentially on the fringes include Schonert, Singleton, Spencer, Lewis, then you have the likes of Jamie, Humphreys, Adams. Denton and Teo may want to be playing top level rugby. Heem would be snapped up by many clubs. I think Spencer, Lewis, Teo are the biggest flight risk but donít know what contract length they currently have. All three would be huge assets to most teams in the prem or Pro 12.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 17:40
Yet another season where the mismanagement of the club leads to our best players leaving? Let's just hope the new owners are better at signing and retaining players than we've had before.

Devonianwarrior
Devonianwarrior (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 18:12
Spot on Fiver

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 19:29
Can't open the link.Arrggh!

Hill Warrior
Hill Warrior (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 20:00
Agree with Fiver
Another scraping the bottom of the league is going to cost us our good players and who can blame them with all this uncertainty.

HW

bcukev
bcukev (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 09:00
I'm sorry, but the content of the meeting has just made me more despondent; yes, we may just survive but there is 0 chance of signing any quality players and the chances are we will lose any of our decent players who are out of contract this season. I think the same will be true of our coaching staff. So we may just survive, for the cycle to be repeated next year. I will always give my 100% support to the 15 on the field, but the sad fact is that their skill level does not match the squads around us, so no matter how hard they try (and that is not questioned)a result has to be seen as an unexpected bonus! Sorry to come across as despondent, but I'm finding it hard to rationally see us as a top six side for at least 3 years even if the new owners had bottomless pockets and a top DoR. I'm desperate to be persuaded otherwise?!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 09:09
We almost have to accept that we are going to have to rebuild again, similar to when DR came in. Unless something changes dramatically it is, almost, inevitable that we will be relegated this year or next - particularly if there is a player exodus.

Whether or not we stay up this year it will be very difficult next season with Bristol signing everyone who wants a much larger paycheck than they currently have.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 09:32
Despite our current difficulties I'd rather be in our position than Brizzles.And I don't mean our respective league positions.
I guess we have one " mercenary" in T'eo but we are bringing a lot of youth through,whereas Brizz are not and have players who have been enticed by their pay packets.Plus the Lam factor has had a massive influence.
But without being biased,long term,I'm glad I'm a Warrior,not a Shogun. (Are they still called that?)

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 09:36
So, if there is re-building to be done - and I don't disagree with that idea if there is an exodus of players - in which league is it better to be: in the Premiership where relegation is a very real possibility or in the Championship where the majority of players are not of Premiership quality?

I don't know the answer to that conundrum.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 10:42
Quote:
A38
So, if there is re-building to be done - and I don't disagree with that idea if there is an exodus of players - in which league is it better to be: in the Premiership where relegation is a very real possibility or in the Championship where the majority of players are not of Premiership quality?
I don't know the answer to that conundrum.

Perhaps the Championship where young players can be cultivated ready for a return?

We are back to when DR came along and he thought then a season in the Championship was inevitable.

The only thing is the support will drop off if we are relegated

The new owners will have to have deep pockets and a five year plan at least.

I don't think a fresh start with a clear out of some players and coaching staff is a bad idea (not talking about anybody in particular) but we haven't been tearing up the premiership for the last few seasons with the current employees!

We need owners, players, a DOR and coaches that can get a team into the top six, Europe etc. which we haven't got at the moment.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 11:38
The drop to the championship last time did nothing for us, possibly set us back even further. Did Max kick on? No, because the championship was too easy for him to get up to premiership standard.

Also, look at recruitment prospects when you're in that league.

I see our only option is to stay up, and then forget EQP and spend money on some decent foreigners who cost less than the inflated EQP prices. That, IMHO, is the only way to cement ourselves in the top flight. Only that will get top players wanting to come to Worcester, and stay at Worcester.

Gray_Lensman
Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 12:19
w4rriorz1980, Bristol haven't been known (for sponsorship reasons) as 'Shoguns' for more than ten years! And how wonderful that aside from one mercenary player that you have managed to reach the Premiership with the rest as amateurs. Almost as odd as the total absence of young players coming through at Bristol which saw nine under the age of 24 start a recent game, with seven current or former academy players starting. Oh and two still at school. Yep, no youth coming through there.

But then, when it was initially rumoured that an owner of a Premiership club was looking to pull out and over on the Bristol board the quickly achieved consensus was the name 'Allen', you swiftly popped up to state that there was absolutely no way the club was Worcester.

Sutton Warrior
Sutton Warrior (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 12:58
An interesting note of the meeting - and one in to which you can read pretty much whatever you want.

For some the fact that we might lose our coaches seems like the desired outcome - many posters on this forum make clear their lack of regard for the coaches so what does it matter if they leave? Isn't that what many people want?

On players - players have short contracts 2-3 years at most ( albeit that is better than the security most of us have in the real world but i digress). AT any given time about 1/3 will be in the final year of their agreement so there is a risk, at best, of some degree of churn. Others will be more assertive in looking for a better club. It does cause us problems - constant rebuilding and recruitment means we may never make real and sustained progress because we are or become a feeder/development club in the same way that Southampton is.LIsting all the people who might leave assumes that we might want them all to stay.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 16:38
Bob, thank you very much for making the effort and taking the time to meet with Bill Bolsover and Gus MacKay. Unfortunately, it seems that your time and effort were wasted, at least as far as the sale of the club and us supporters being told anything of substance, or even anything we didn't already know, were concerned.

After your meeting and the meeting on Tuesday, we are still no nearer understanding exactly what the vision of Greg and the Board actually is, other than bland statements about community, which are nothing more than apple pie and motherhood. We are also no nearer knowing why Ed's offer was deemed unsuitable.

Given the proclaimed focus on the community ethos of the club, which has won a number of community awards, the rejection of Ed G's bid seems very strange: after all, he has a fair bit of experience in this field and a not too shabby track record - I would say that down the years the one club that has beaten us to more Community awards has been Sarries.

We have a pretty good idea of what Ed was proposing: on the face of it, it seems to tick a lot of the boxes in terms of keeping the club where it is, focusing on developing young local players, being community based and focused, sustainable, etc.

We don't know why that isn't enough, or what more the Board are looking for, because,

Quote:
Communication Ė I emphasised that the clubís muted response to the recent media storm surrounding the club had not been helpful and indeed had contributed to the fans sense of anger and frustration. Whilst this was acknowledged a number of the stories were
speculative and unsubstantiated, the sources were being looked intoÖ..

To remedy this failing the club are not going to tell us which stories are speculative and unsubstantiated, or what the real story is, but instead hunt down the messenger. I presume that if it is someone in the club, they will be looking for a new job and we, the supporters, will be none the wiser.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

MESSAGES->author
01 November, 2017 17:01
I have wondered recently what criteria makes a deal 'the best' for the club, supporters and community?

A detail of this 'the best' would go a way on understanding what the Board are looking for in their buyer/investor/Rugby Union.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 19:29
Be clear - the board can only influence the decision of Greg Allen. They are not choosing who to sell the club to. That much was clear last night and the veiled frustration was, at times, quite obvious.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 19:37
Quote:
usa warrior
Be clear - the board can only influence the decision of Greg Allen. They are not choosing who to sell the club to. That much was clear last night and the veiled frustration was, at times, quite obvious.

Excellent point...a very important distinction.

MESSAGES->author
01 November, 2017 19:44
Quote:
TeflonTed
Quote:
usa warrior

Excellent point...a very important distinction.

How sad one person could make or break it all

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 20:10
Itís the golden rule.

He who has the gold makes the rules.

The Allens bought the club, Greg has been passed control, and will sell to who ever he chooses.

Letís not forget the assurances he has given about protecting both the P shares and the future of rugby at 6 Ways, we have no reason to doubt his intentions.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 21:12
Ted, the path to failure is littered with good intentions.

If, as appears from usa's post, Greg is not really listening to the Board's advice, it doesn't sound great: dysfunction at the top of the organisation is bound to filter down to the shop floor and tends to have a corrosive effect.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 22:18
That was my impression from the evening. TT did you get that as well?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 22:52
Quote:
usa warrior
That was my impression from the evening. TT did you get that as well?

They were careful with their words, but it was clear enough that thereís an issue for sure.

MESSAGES->author
02 November, 2017 05:50
The emperors new clothes!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net