rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Superted1
Lance to stay?
Superted1 (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 19:24
Saw this article in the Aussie Daily Telegraph , hope the linky thing works, the interesting bit is half way down.

Jono Lance article
Apologies after checking the link it takes you to a subsribtion page for the newspaper, I found the article by doing a google search for " Jono Lance" checking the news tab and found it half way down the article was dated 5 Oct and was headlined Payto and Panda Drua hope it can be found this way.
Anyone think Jono might stay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/10/2017 19:33 by Superted1.

usa warrior
Re: Lance to stay?
usa warrior (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 20:51
ďMELBOURNE still want Jono Lance to join the Rebels next season but in the wake of the ex-Force No.10 taking up a short-term contract in England, itís no certainty.

Lance has joined Worcester for a stint under a new ARU arrangement that allows long-serving players to head offshore on medical joker contracts and the like. Christian Lealiifano is also in Ireland.

The Rebels have a good squad brewing but need a solid No.10 to play outside Will Genia next year, and likely inside Billy Meakes. And given five-eighth is a shallow position in Aussie rugby, keeping the ever-reliable Lance would seem like a good idea.

But we hear Lance has been told by the ARU where he sits in the Wallabies pecking order, and letís just say if he gets offered a longer-term deal in England, he may well take it. The same thing goes for hooker James Hanson, who is with Gloucester on a short-term stint.

Seems odd but we hear itís all linked to the post-Force ruckus between Super Rugby sides and the ARU. There are bitter arguments going on about who should pay the existing Force contracts ó the ARU or states ó and whether sides (read Melbourne) should be allowed to bust the salary cap.

The Rebels have young Jack McGregor and Dave Horwitz on their books to play 10 if Lance doesnít return. Jackson Garden-Bachop has been released.Ē

This sounds quite positive actually!! And it was alluded to being a possibility tonight as well.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 21:34
Canít really see what is in it for him other than an Ďadvertí to other clubs in the Prem.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 22:08
He may stay in England but where?

JP

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
31 October, 2017 22:37
He made the Flats team of the week

[url=http://[www.premiershiprugby.com]]Flats team of the week[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/10/2017 22:43 by Eternal optimist.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 06:34
The reason he might stay is that we apparently pay much higher wages than in Oz.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 07:03
FH, Lance and Mills would be quite an effective midfield if we can ever get the three of them on the pitch together.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 07:11
It would be more than amazing if he stays considering we cant recruit anyone!

MESSAGES->author
01 November, 2017 07:25
Fiver, but so do Tigers, Glaws, Bath, Saints and the French clubs.

JP

Blue&GoldWarrior
Blue&GoldWarrior (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 09:11
If there is the slightest chance we can keep him we need to offer everything to him. In one game we've seen what having a Class 10 can do for our backline!!

MESSAGES->author
01 November, 2017 09:12
Agreed and put Mills at 12.

JP

MESSAGES->author
01 November, 2017 09:15
And Hammond at 13!

MESSAGES->author
drifter (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 09:15
well with olivier and teo injured for several months I think there is a need for some substantial reinforcements. yes I agree put mills at 12 but can we afford more injuries to the backs.

MESSAGES->author
01 November, 2017 09:30
Willison At 13 or Sam Lewis.

There are also two budding centers in the Academy.

JP

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 10:18
Quote:
Faithful_City

JP

Sam Lewis will not play centre for Worcester! I will bet my mortgage on it!

kceWarrior
kceWarrior (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 10:25
Durutalo looks like a decent try scorer. If we're nominating back rowers to play centre lets give him a go!

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 10:27
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
Quote:
Faithful_City

JP

MSR....
What? Youíve still got a mortgage? What are you doing on here? you young thing you.

(Regular readers may detect me taking an opportunity to further enrage those who accuse this forum of being populated by only old pharts)

MSR-Worcester
01 November, 2017 10:56
Quote:
TeflonTed
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
Quote:
Faithful_City

JP

MSR....
What? Youíve still got a mortgage? What are you doing on here? you young thing you.

(Regular readers may detect me taking an opportunity to further enrage those who accuse this forum of being populated by only old pharts)

(Sm6)(Sm152)

B-road
01 November, 2017 11:12
Quote:
TeflonTed

If this forum is "populated by only old pharts", then the only way the accusers would know this, is by being part of the forum population itself and hence an "old phart" by definition.

So, really you are just accusing and enraging yourself.

I just don't think you've thought this through

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 11:18
Donít know what youíre talking about.......canít renember the issue.......

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 13:27
We're lacking in the backrow at present let's not shift our most consistent flanker to the centre that would be crazy in so many ways.
Try Hammond in the awc willison if he doesn't take to it.

I'd like Lance to stay so I hope he does, would give a bit of hope I think

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 13:35
Will Butler should play both games IMO. Then give other centre position to lance for a week and play hammond on the wing then give it to hammong the next week and rest lance ready for northampton.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 13:37
Am I being a bit thick?

Where has this Lewis to centre stuff come from? Because on the face of it, it doesn't seem to be terribly reasonable in my opinion....

MESSAGES->author
01 November, 2017 14:02
The other backs and players have said he is the best center at the club, they probably know.

JP

MSR-Worcester
01 November, 2017 14:29
Never seen that reported anywhere JP, if it was said it was probably tongue in cheek.

Given that Willison is our only fit premiership centre, we should take the opportunity to experiment with a few options.

12. Butler/Lance
13. Hammond/Heem

Failing that, Mills and Stelling may well be back for Saints/Leicester games.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 14:52
Can't we try and get an injury cover of some sort for Centre, as others appear to get these types of players. Even if it was a fringe player at another Prem club. Wasps appear to be adept at doing this when needed. Now i know they have Champions Cup and other lofty opportunities to help attract, but surely the feelers could be put out on this, rather than wedging square pegs into triangular holes.....

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 15:31
Which comes back to the core issue of who, of any real quality, wants get put out on loan to Wuss?

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 15:38
Meanwhile, back at the thread title ...

Lance staying might not be as far fetched as it seems.

Saw this on Auntie Beeb.

Quote:
Article
Australia coach Michael Cheika has left fly-half Quade Cooper out of his squad for their November internationals.
The Queensland Reds playmaker, 29, who has 70 caps, has not played for Australia since June after being left out of their Rugby Championship squad.

"In the order I would select right now for what I want, we've got [Bernard] Foley first up, then we've got [Kurtley] Beale and [Reece] Hodge," said Cheika when asked about Cooper's absence.

Now if Beale Quade Cooper isn't in the frame, nor Christian Lealiifano, who is playing 10 for Ulster, at the mo, how far down the list is Jono? If he isn't looking like he's in Cheika's plans for Australia, part of the reason for returning to Super Rugby no longer applies.

If the Rebels don't have the money to honour his Force contract and the ARU won't pay, or the Rebels aren't allowed to spend above the cap to honour those contracts, he could be out of a job. He's unlikely to get a contract with another Super Rugby team in Aus at this late stage, particularly as any other team is likely to encounter the same problems that the Rebels are reportedly facing.

If he does stay in England, why not us? He has a chance to be first choice 10, playing outside a world class 9, and on a decent wedge. He is already getting to know our systems and plays and has said good things about the youngsters here.

Will probably all come to nought, but it doesn't seem a completely outrageous scenario.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 16:00 by Brummagem Bertie.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 15:52
I like that scenario Bertie, again.....if only,

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 15:53
TT,

A lazy, comfortable player won't want to come, and if they are that half arsed about coming or playing rugby full stop, then i wouldn't want them.

Wasps have just picked up some SA bruiser Back Row for 3 months and an Aussie Hooker due to their injury woes. Quins have just taken a Hooker on loan too from Yorkshire Carnegie. Irish got a Hooker from Ealing.

In the main these guys will be back up, but these clubs are getting the players in.

Wary of getting paranoid about this stuff but we do not appear to play the clever game that other clubs do, to solve temporary issues.

TVM Rides Again....Again
01 November, 2017 15:58
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
Never seen that reported anywhere JP, if it was said it was probably tongue in cheek.

To be honest, Ockham's Razor says this on this one...

Brummagem Bertie
01 November, 2017 16:05
Quote:
FlipFlop
TT,
A lazy, comfortable player won't want to come, and if they are that half arsed about coming or playing rugby full stop, then i wouldn't want them.

Wasps have just picked up some SA bruiser Back Row for 3 months and an Aussie Hooker due to their injury woes. Quins have just taken a Hooker on loan too from Yorkshire Carnegie. Irish got a Hooker from Ealing.

In the main these guys will be back up, but these clubs are getting the players in.

Wary of getting paranoid about this stuff but we do not appear to play the clever game that other clubs do, to solve temporary issues.

Is that true, though? We signed Peter Stringer at the start of the season, we're talking about a 10 we picked up on a 3-month short-term contract, and only 10 days ago we signed a bruiser of an international back-row, who's been tearing up the Championship, from the same club that Irish picked up their hooker.

Who's to say that we aren't finalising a deal to have another centre on the books by the end of this week?

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 16:49
How soon we forget Kitto as well!

Brummagem Bertie
01 November, 2017 17:01
True, usa, true. Not a shabby short-term signing, was he?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 17:32
Quote:
FlipFlop
TT,

I think that rather supports my case doesnít it?

Some player sitting in a corner of a foreign field, knowing maybe not too much about the English Premiership, Googles :- Wasps, Harlequins, and, uh, Worcester.

WorcesterSauce
01 November, 2017 18:31
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
Quote:
FlipFlop
TT,

Is that true, though? We signed Peter Stringer at the start of the season, we're talking about a 10 we picked up on a 3-month short-term contract, and only 10 days ago we signed a bruiser of an international back-row, who's been tearing up the Championship, from the same club that Irish picked up their hooker.

Who's to say that we aren't finalising a deal to have another centre on the books by the end of this week?

Agree with BB thats simply not true. We absolutely are doing this. In the last 18 months we've signed the following players (off the top of my head) to bolster our squad/cover injuries during the season:

Vui, Van Der Sluys, Dowsett, Lance, Duratalo, Stringer, Taufete, Kitto, Braid, Slowik, de Cothi,

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 18:37
Saucie, how many of those are top class prospects for the future, and how many are staying?
2 on your list have already gone.

WorcesterSauce
01 November, 2017 19:19
I would say that the point of them (at worcester or wasps) is rarely to be world class future prospects to be honest. They are in essence plasters, a quick fix. As it turns out Vui would've been a decent signing and Taufete is turning into a good one. Think duratulo will, in time, be well worth signing.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 19:23
Even the Wasps contracts are short term - three months in the case of their new backrow.

Top class - Vui, Taufete, Lance

Internationals - Braid, Duratalo, and those above

Staying - Taufete (one year contract?), Lance possibly, Duratolo - wasn't billed as a temporary contract so presumably 2 years

Would have liked to have seen more of Kitto and Duratalo is a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment, but promises much.

Considering our position I don't feel we did too badly with that list considering we hadn't heard of several of those when they signed and Vui was an excellent player. Are short term contracts ever ones for the future?

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 19:40
So we used Kitto for 20 minutes, Stringer hasnít been seen since Glaws. Duratulo May turn out to be a nugget?

Sale get Yarde.......

Iíll keep quiet and await Ďthe cavalryí in minority view.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 19:41
Usually not, and they shouldnít be confused with full time recruitment, which is basically still a major problem.

And thatís not me making it up, itís been said in open meetings by Vesty and Hogg over the last few days.

WorcesterSauce
01 November, 2017 20:11
Quote:
FlipFlop
So we used Kitto for 20 minutes, Stringer hasnít been seen since Glaws. Duratulo May turn out to be a nugget?
Sale get Yarde.......

Iíll keep quiet and await Ďthe cavalryí in minority view.

Yarde is a complete one off. Not injury cover just an opportunist signing... be better to compare our genuine injury cover, mid season signings (ie lance, vui, taufete, van der sluys) with other clubs.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 20:26
Iím pretty convinced Yarde would have been going to Sale anyhow next year. Things were just advanced more quickly when he lost the plot at Quins and fell out with Kingston who, it seems, needed to make an example of someone.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 08:34
Very interesting to hear what Monye had to say about the Yarde situation. Quins were glad to get rid of him in the end. He may be an excellent player, but the disruption off the field was too much to bear.

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 08:46
Didn't just fall out with Kingston. Robshaw has a view too...

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Quote:
"I am disappointed in him. Marland has unfortunately run out of lives," said former England captain Robshaw.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 11:47
Back on topic:

Lance was interviewed by Channel 5 post-match for the weekend highlights show. He was very complimentary about his experience so far at Worcester and went on to say how excited he was about what he might achieve with the team in the next "few months."

Although he hasn't been announced by Rebels as yet I suspect they will want him for pre-season training by end of January at the latest. I would be very surprised if he went to anyone other than Melbourne or us.

Superted1
Superted1 (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 19:24
The plot thickens found an article in The Australian written a few days ago headline and first paragraph below.

Reece Hodge could be shifted to five-eighth at Melbourne Rebels

New Melbourne Rebels coach Dave Wessels admits he has spoken to Wallabies coach Michael Cheika about the prospect of playing Reece Hodge at five-eighth in Super Rugby next year and is not opposed to the idea.

and now he starts against Japan. Wonder how Jono feels about this does this mean he has told the Rebels he's not going back and they are making new plans at fly half or doesn't he know about this and could be heading back as a backup fly half.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 21:41
Good spot superted.

2 Teds are better than 1

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 22:23
Quote:
TeflonTed
Good spot superted.
2 Teds are better than 1
Ha Ha!

Brummagem Bertie
04 November, 2017 01:01
Another piece of the jigsaw?

Quote:
Telegraph's Digger
Rebels in Haylett-Petty double coup
The Melbourne Rebels have recruited Wallabies winger Dane Haylett-Petty and his lock brother Ross from the defunct Western Force in a coup for the struggling Super Rugby team.

Dane was one of Wallabies coach Michael Cheika's first-choice flyers before a bicep injury ruled him out of the rest of the season in September.

The 28 year-old's younger brother Ross formed a solid second row with Force and Wallabies lock Adam Coleman during the Super Rugby season, the Perth team's last after they were axed by the Australian Rugby Union.

The Rebels have profited from the Force's demise, taking their acclaimed coach Dave Wessels and a number of the team's former players as they look to rebound from an injury-plagued season and a bottom-placed finish in the Australian conference.

The Rebels have bolstered their roster with a number of former and current Wallabies players in recent months, including scrum-half Will Genia and props Ben Daley and Tetera Faulkner.

No mention of Jono amongst the new signings. On the other hand, how does the latest news square with Rebels supposedly being short on cash and/or cap room?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 01:09
Jigsaw......pieces.....you never know.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 07:42
Iím pretty sure I know. Heís not staying here. If he is interested in playing in Europe heís put himself in the shop window, and if he continues to play like last weekend he will attract a fair amount of interest. I just donít see why he would stay (or anyone else), particularly as it seems FH is off which could have been a sell to him.

TVM Rides Again....Again
04 November, 2017 08:05
I'm pretty sure I know too.

Hes probably going to stay along with FH as they are opening a B&B together in the Malverns

(*they aren't really - but in the absence of any actual evidence I thought I'd put in a chirpy theory to counter the traditional theorising of apocalyptic doom)

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 08:38
B&B? It'd be another coffee shop wouldn't it? Even Te'o said he wants to open one.

TVM Rides Again....Again
04 November, 2017 08:44
It serves great coffee...

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 09:07
Youíre forgetting one key thing..... he obviously must be living in Cheltenham, because thereís nothing in Worcester......

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 12:02
Quote:
TVM Rides Again
I'm pretty sure I know too.
Hes probably going to stay along with FH as they are opening a B&B together in the Malverns

(*they aren't really - but in the absence of any actual evidence I thought I'd put in a chirpy theory to counter the traditional theorising of apocalyptic doom)
They're calling it FranLan.

TVM Rides Again....Again
04 November, 2017 12:08
whoa Greg Allen franalan

Greg Allen had a club franalan

Whole thing went bump franalan

Sorry - got distracted

Brummagem Bertie
04 November, 2017 12:11
Quote:
Whispering_Death
Iím pretty sure I know. Heís not staying here. If he is interested in playing in Europe heís put himself in the shop window, and if he continues to play like last weekend he will attract a fair amount of interest. I just donít see why he would stay (or anyone else), particularly as it seems FH is off which could have been a sell to him.

IF plans back in Aus go pear-shaped why would he stay with us?

Well, he will be looking for a 6 month contract to take him to the end of the season, at least. How many Prem clubs can offer him a decent shot at a starting slot AND have the money AND the cap room to afford him?

I would guess we are one of a very small number, possibly fewer than two.

Now, he might not want to commit beyond the end of the season, initially, but we have had some success persuading short-term signings to commit for longer: even one or two of those who have left have reportedly expressed regret (eg Vui).

I accept that a lot of this could well depend on sorting out the ownership and DoR issues, by Christmas at the latest.

Whispering_Death
04 November, 2017 14:59
Doesnít have to be the prem. I donít see how any player or coach with any class would sign for us at the moment.

Brummagem Bertie
04 November, 2017 16:19
WD, if you refuse to look then I suppose you will not see.

We signed Jono on short-term contract after all this hit the fan and we have also since signed a USA international, who won several player of the round awards in the Championship.

Both of those clearly have some class.

Whispering_Death
04 November, 2017 16:33
Throwing some cash at someone for two months is not the same as someone committing his future to you for 2-3 years is it. And this American international may have cut it up in the Champ but letís see whether he can translate that to the prem.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 17:31
Quote:
TVM Rides Again
whoa Greg Allen franalan
Greg Allen had a club franalan

Whole thing went bump franalan

Sorry - got distracted
Never apologise for having a sense of humour! We need a sense of humour,we're Warriors fans! I was referring to FH and Jono's new coffee shop! ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2017 17:33 by w4rriorz1980.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 11:25
On the back page of the Rugby Paper he seems to clearly indicate that he will be going back to Oz.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 16:29
Could happen?

[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
09 November, 2017 19:39
WN again......

MSR-Worcester
10 November, 2017 09:08
I asked someone in the know on Twitter and they say Lance hasn't got a contract with the Rebels, so who know whether he'll stay.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 09:44
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
someone in the know on Twitter.

Reallly?

Good luck with that one.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 18:37
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
I asked someone in the know on Twitter and they say Lance hasn't got a contract with the Rebels, so who know whether he'll stay.
Hopefully not a Fissler special!

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 04:55

MESSAGES->author
19 November, 2017 07:40
Sorts that one.

Day tripper
Day tripper (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 07:41
That's not the news I wanted to hear. That said his kicking was not good yesterday.

Wah-RE-or
Wah-RE-or (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 09:23
Back to the old desperate need for a kicking 10. Have to say Mr Lance didn't fulfil the kicking part anyway.

MESSAGES->author
drifter (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 09:37
well i asume the club knew this was going to happen. so await an announcment I hope

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 09:44
Wouldn't be surprised if Myler was here next season tbf.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 15:17
Based on yesterday Myler would be a step backwards.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net