rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

NW2
Injuries / concussion
NW2 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 09:10
There's an article on the BBC site by Gareth Davies of the WRU (sorry, not savvy enough to do the link thing) suggesting that cutting the number of replacements allowed during a game, would reduce the amount of injuries and head collisions.
The thinking being, that if more players are expected to play the full 80 minutes instead of 50 or 60, there would need to be a shift back to lighter, fitter, players.
I must admit, I miss the likes of Jason Robinson, Shane Williams etc, and the kind of game they played, in part due to their stature. I know there are still a few around, but in the main "bigger is better" seems to be the mantra now as it becomes more and more difficult to separate backs from forwards.
Given the increase in concussion injuries it could be worth consideration?

Southstand(again)
Re: Injuries / concussion
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 09:38

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 11:16
It is a very interesting view point, you look at how Arr and Heathcote have suffered as two smaller guys in rugby over the last few years. It was not long ago that Arr had the best tackling technique in the team but sadly the game and collision area have changed.

Touchliner
Touchliner (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 11:16
Not sure it will ever happen but it is the only suggestion I've seen that might make a difference to what is an increasingly worrying trend.

It is also causing massive disruption to club and international squads (including Worcester).

Obviously not all the injuries are induced by collisions that wouldn't have occurred "in the old days" but the number of players now struggling long-term with head knocks is starting to potentially threaten the game itself.

Parents (and schools?) are less likely to encourage kids into the game if these long term injuries become commonplace - and it can be argued that they already have. GJ Van Velze and Tom Heathcote are local examples but many, many more can easily be listed.

There is no reason why A games and pre-season friendlies for example shouldn't have a larger squad since their purpose is to offer game time to a broader pool of players but the Premiership itself and equivalent levels around the world could take on board the principle of substitution for injury only.

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 13:21
Must admit that after my lad suffered his first concussion I would rather he push his sporting aspirations down the rowing rather than rugby route, but I donít think heíll listen to me.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 13:52
I think we need a shift towards players being lighter but I'm not convinced that is the route to achieve this.

Stop the clock every time the ball isn't in play and when the ball is in a scrum until it's completed.

Also penalise marginally late hits on half backs a lot more harshly, I think we need to move towards NFL protection of quarter back type rules for half backs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net