rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
The Big Screen at Welford Rd
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 17:06
has a feature Iíve not seen before.

When Sir awarded a penalty or free kick the screen switched to a CGI image of a ref in an appropriate pose, together with a large text subtitle with the offence committed, ie. Offside/Knock On/In at The Side/Not Rolling Away/Dissent (one of which we got) etc etc.

Presumably this is managed somewhere in the Tigers stadium control area by monitoring Sirís mic. It came up so quickly they must have a preset number of options requiring just a keystroke to action.

Found it very useful, if Wuss management still monitor this board, can we have similar please? So much better than a ref link earpiece, I donít want to hear Sirís heavy breathing all through the game, but a quick and accurate reason for frees/penalties was great.

MESSAGES->author
Re: The Big Screen at Welford Rd
drifter (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 17:46
personally i would like the clock to work first followed by 100w bulbs in the floodlights!!!

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:20
ha ha, I haven't been for a while, but that clock in the corner is notorious - it should be auctioned off for charity

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:20
ha ha, I haven't been for a while, but that clock in the corner is notorious - it should be auctioned off for charity

Asterz
Asterz (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 19:37
The screen at Sixways does generally have this.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:04
Quote:
Asterz
The screen at Sixways does generally have this.

Really? Iíve never seen it.

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:09
I've seen it on our screen too!

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:19
It's done at all prem grounds as of this season

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:22
I must start looking more carefully......

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:34
Not just you TT. Iíve never noticed them either. Must be watching the game or something silly like that.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:09
Aye, itís a heads up for Friday evening, and a possible return to this thread.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:17
Deal. Iíll make a conscious effort to look.

Usually get a commentary from my mate with reflink to be fair.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:32
It's all well and good putting stuff on the big screen, those of us in the south stand only even see the bottom few inches of it. Is there a genuine reason why we only have the one screen?

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:42
Thought they originally were going to put in another on the North side, but it was refused due to potentially distracting drivers on the 449.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:45
Thatís a good question Fiver, donít most grounds have 2?

Mind you, youíre spared the horrible over-bright moving ad banners on the face of your stand which us easties have to cope with

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 22:34
Quote:
TeflonTed
Aye, itís a heads up for Friday evening, and a possible return to this thread.

Ignoring for the time being tonightís disaster of a game, and just for the sake of being precise, Asterz, BBW, and Saucie, youíre all wrong.
The big screen at 6Ways DOES NOT provide the stuff Iím talking about.

The big screen at 6Ways shows match footage, with the current score at the bottom of the screen, (either side of a Tooles Transport logo) with ads running at the top of the screen.

When appropriate, thereís a ďTRYĒ banner, with the name of the scorer, then the ď someoneís kickingĒ bit.

Not what we saw at Welford Rd at all.

No CGI ref, and no explanation of why penalties or free kicks were awarded at all.

If you werenít at Welford Rd to see it you donít know.

Bad do tonight though.

Asterz
Asterz (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 22:46
Calm down TT! You are absolutely correct that there was no such feature today - but referring you to my initial comment, our screen does ĎGENERALLYí have such a thing.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 23:06
Quote:
Asterz
Calm down TT! You are absolutely correct that there was no such feature today - but referring you to my initial comment, our screen does ĎGENERALLYí have such a thing.

Well I beg to disagree.

Iíve never seen such stuff at 6Ways, and Iím totally calm (ish).

WorcesterSauce
01 December, 2017 23:08
Yes I do know cause they have done it at Sixways all season, although i too noticed that it didn't happen tonight, which is strange.

But who really cares? If you think you're right and we're wrong TT, i dont care enough to debate.... i know what Ive seen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 23:09 by WorcesterSauce.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 23:10
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Yes I do know cause they have done it at Sixways all season, although i too noticed that it didn't happen tonight, which is strange.
But who really cares? If you think you're right and we're wrong TT, i dont care enough to debate.... i know what Ive seen.

No they havenít.

Did you go to Welford Rd?

Itís altogether different.

WorcesterSauce
01 December, 2017 23:20
''When Sir awarded a penalty or free kick the screen switched to a CGI image of a ref in an appropriate pose, together with a large text subtitle with the offence committed, ie. Offside/Knock On/In at The Side/Not Rolling Away/Dissent (one of which we got) etc''

What ive seen numerous times at sixways and other grounds (albeit i admit not Leicester) this season fits this exact description...

I'm not sure why you are so strong in disputing what i (and other posters)know for a fact they have seen

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 23:34
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
''When Sir awarded a penalty or free kick the screen switched to a CGI image of a ref in an appropriate pose, together with a large text subtitle with the offence committed, ie. Offside/Knock On/In at The Side/Not Rolling Away/Dissent (one of which we got) etc''
What ive seen numerous times at sixways and other grounds (albeit i admit not Leicester) this season fits this exact description...

I'm not sure why you are so strong in disputing what i (and other posters)know for a fact they have seen

Simply because Iíve never seen it at 6Ways, and I donít often go to sleep!

Letís s ask Patgadd to comment, he doesnít miss much and was with me at Welford Rd.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 07:45
We noticed this at Welford Road also, and have never seen it at any other ground. If it does happen at sixways I have no idea how Iíve never seen it.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 08:03
All I can do is endorse WD's comments word for word.

Asterz
Asterz (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 08:43
Iím all for strong-mindedness, but this is astonishing.
Because someone has not seen something, does not mean it has not happened.

I have often quipped at Sixways that the official on the screen would probably be as confused as us as to what a decision was for!

WorcesterSauce
02 December, 2017 14:34
Quote:
Asterz
Iím all for strong-mindedness, but this is astonishing.
Because someone has not seen something, does not mean it has not happened.

Yep, says a lot. Must note in future - if i dispute something has happened, the way to seemingly prove it is to just ask my mate to back me up.

Hilarious, as I know what I saw and whereas I initially thought maybe I was going mad - others have seen it too.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 14:42
No need for the nasty edge, I asked someone who I knew was at Welford Rd, and knew what I was talking about. Other Wuss people sat next to us hadnít seen it before either.

I asked a direct question earlier, were any of those who disagree actually at Welford Rd?

WorcesterSauce
02 December, 2017 15:28
I wasn't at Welford Road but i was at bath and and sixways when the exact thing you describe was used... Either myself and Azters etc are lying (why would we) or you and Pat Gadd maybe did just miss it when it happened at Sixways, in which case, why does it matter?

worcestawarrior
worcestawarrior (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 21:27
FFS guys I wasn't there either but I have a 49" LED in my living room with text does that count. And by the way I can't see the screen from the south stand so I don't give a @#$%&

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 00:41
I have (as noted earlier in the thread) seen this before.
I wasn't at Welford Road.
I haven't been to any other away game.
Therefore I must have seen this at Sixways.
It wasn't happening on Friday night.

Good night folks!

(Off for a lie down as I am having to agree with WS!)

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 10:05
Saucie, if it matters at all, which it probably doesnít, it is because I believe Iíd seen something really good which we donít have, and was raising the question to see if we could get it.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 10:47
We do have something similar. Although if I've seen it more the 5 times this season I would be very surprised!

MESSAGES->author
That Councillor! (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 10:06
I was impressed with how the big screen at Leicester was used. The infringements messages was particularly informative. I also liked the photo messages from spectators. These are things Worcester should try. The screen operator needs a ref radio and then some preset messages to post.

The screen at Worcester is disappointingly small and made worse by the fact it is the wrong shape (square). I am sure a larger screen with the correct 16:9 Wide-Screen Aspect Ratio would be possible in that corner. I am aware the club have struggled to get planning permission for other screens because of glare on the A449. Sandwell Council and Highways England don't find it a problem on the M5 though.

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 14:58
I would also agree with WS, we have had ref signals on the big screen on the odd occasion at Sixways but not for a while.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 15:06
The essence of my first post was that we'd seen something at Welford Rd we don't see at 6Ways, and that it would be a good thing to have.

3 posters took issue with this, (despite not claiming to have seen the Welford Rd graphics), 3 other posters agreed with me. Score Draw!

So I did a little digging.

Here's what I emailed to Phil Everitt, Stadium Facilities Manager @ Leicester Tigers.

(the Bold is new for emphasis)

"Several of us were much impressed with the on-screen graphics which popped up when Sir awarded a penalty or free kick, showing a CGI referee in appropriate pose, and an explanation of the sanction, ie ď offside, holding on, not rolling away, dissent etc etc. I presume this is driven by information coming from the ref mike.

To the best of our knowledge, weíve not seen this elsewhere, is it an in-house system, is it available to other clubs, do you know any other premiership clubs using it?

Weíve got a bit of a ďdiscussionĒ going on about this on our sportsnetwork forum, anything you can tell me about this system would be very helpful."

Here's his reply,
On 4 Dec 2017, at 13:08, Phil Everitt <phil.everitt@tigers.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Ted

The answer is Yes, and No.
The videos of the referee animation are supplied by Premiership Rugby and they want every club to use them. However not every club has the infrastructure or the knowledge to do so.

As a Referee myself I listen to the referee on Fan Radio (The Premiership version of Ref Link) and watch him from our TV control room which has a good view of the pitch.
I have a touch screen containing all the possible decisions the referee makes and I can activate these very quickly. I have a lot more decisions than are supplied by Premiership Rugby and you would have seen these ones come up without the referee animation.

Tigers have been doing this for the last two or three seasons and Premiership Rugby liked it and made their own version to roll out to all the clubs. But some clubs just take a TV feed to their big screens for TMO use and are unable to produce their own content. In my experience you also need a trained referee to run it as sometimes the referee on the pitch may not signal, or may use language that doesnít match exactly with the offence description, so I need to be able to interpret what the offence is. I also update the buttons on my screen periodically to remove ones that never get used and add new ones (such as kicking in the ruck which is a new offence for this season).

The Premiership Rugby videos are new this season and after a few teething troubles were officially rolled out by us about a month ago. I am not aware of any other clubs that are yet using them.

Please feel free to email me back if you have any further questions.
Regards
Phil

Anyone still feel we've seen this at 6Ways?

And more to the point, wouldn't it be good if we could?

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 15:17
Sorry Ted, misread the CGI bit.

We've had a image of a ref with the 'action' for the decision on our screen and then text to say what the decision has been given for.e.g ref hugs ball, not releasing - it wasn't CGI though and I haven't seen it on our screen for a while.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 15:25
Fair enough, there was something, some time ago, but it wouldnít have been what we saw at Welford Rd, would it.

Which is all I said in the first place really!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net