rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Brummagem Bertie
Dewald in the news.
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 11:37

MESSAGES->author
Re: Dewald in the news.
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 12:33
I’d have asked staff to move me, or him.

Having read the full piece my conclusion is that he should stick to rugby and leave philosophy to others.

My overall feeling having wasted 5 minutes or so reading his ramblings is that he comes over as a bit of nob.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 17:06
Or even a complete nob.

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 18:40
I don't get that from what he writes at all. Sorry I have read all his blog posts and think he is fab..

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 18:41
I presume he was in Worcester rather than Cheltenham so at least a bonus point for that ?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 18:44
The Mail headline reads
“Cheltenham Wagamama customer eats with bare feet on stool”

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 19:00
''and rather opt for a social media rampage where you victimise your precious little self in the hopes of scoring a free meal''

Person goes on social media rant to rant about how someone else ranted about them on social media. Im assuming irony is lost on Dewald.

I agree he really should stick to rugby, which he happens to be very good at. That particular blog post is one of the most patronising things i've ever read.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 19:02
Is patronising polite for self-obsessed-anal?

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 20:01
I thought a blog was just a regular record of your thoughts, opinions or experiences which you publish on the internet and people can chose, not chose to read if they wish.

Hardly a letter to the Times editor.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 20:27
And once posted, does it not invite comment?

Brummagem Bertie
27 November, 2017 21:24
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
''and rather opt for a social media rampage where you victimise your precious little self in the hopes of scoring a free meal''
Person goes on social media rant to rant about how someone else ranted about them on social media. Im assuming irony is lost on Dewald.

I agree he really should stick to rugby, which he happens to be very good at. That particular blog post is one of the most patronising things i've ever read.

I think Dewald was commenting on how the "deeply offended" person never mentioned anything to him or the staff during their visit but promptly complained to Wagamama, via their Twitter feed, once home, as Dewald said, simply in the hope of "scoring a free meal".

Dewald has little choice to resort to social media, having been denied the chance to speak to the little princess in person.

I've never been in one of Wagamama's restaurants. Perhaps I should tell them, via Twitter and Facebook, obviously, that I'm glad, as it's saved me meeting the sort of people who get offended that they wait until they get home so they can then make a very public complaint in the hope of embarrassing the restaurant into giving them a freebie? Dropping the hint, of course, that I might be persuaded to change my mind if they were good enough to bung me a free meal, too.

What do you reckon? Or a bit too ironic?

Whatever you do, do it safely!

the barbarian
27 November, 2017 22:38
We live in Great Britain. It's born in us not to complain directly but to bottle it up inside. She also probably felt too intimidated to say anything to a couple of fellas who look like they play rugby for a living. It was poor manners from Dewald IMHO

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 22:43
Bertie, at the risk of meeting some nasty bare trotters, (an event I’m sure you would deal with at the time, and very promptly), I’d simply encourage you to give Wagamama a try.

They serve some very tasty and very varied dishes, in an informal and rapid manner. Very good for veggies too!

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 23:09
Unless i'm missing something, where's she put anything about getting a free meal? This of course may have been her motive, or she may have just been tweeting something she saw - not exactly uncommon in this day and age. We can only speculate as to what her motives are.

I do actually agree with you BB she has not come out of this all too well either, but then two wrong's don't make a right. His post is both patronising and offensive to the woman, her daughter, his waiter and any future teacher who has the misfortune of being told to ''f**k off you f*****g f**k'' by his daughter. Something he says will result in an apology..... from the teacher!

In this blog post at least, the guy comes across absolutely terribly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/11/2017 23:17 by WorcesterSauce.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 06:13
Presumably he didn’t walk barefoot to Wagamama so baring them in a public place where food is eaten is not needed, big toe or not.

He’s probably right that a lot of people moan about an ‘experience’ in the hope of getting a freebie or some form of recompense.

Complain at the time via mgt, not after the event. If the complaint encourages aggro then it proves arrogance and contempt of the person complained about. If it resolves the issue, then life goes on.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 07:03
Doubt she was after a free meal - more a dinner party anecdote about that time she got something published in the Mail.

It takes two to tango.

I agree with Poteigter on the fact that maybe she should have aired her grievance in person. Don't just hope someone else does something about it for you and then Moan after the event, if no one has fixed what was bothering you. It's annoying.

I agree with her in the fact that - haysus cripes Dewald - you're a grown man, what are you doing doing that in a retaurant - it is absolutely grim.

As with most of these media storm in a tea cup non-stories, it's two people, who both could do with being told to grow the flip up and acting like grown ups.

And shame on the Mail's for publishing such utter drivel.

That said it gets clicks.....so shame on us for reading it.

I think we should all just go away and think about what we've done

MESSAGES->author
Grasshopper (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 07:31
I suppose that it shouldn't surprise me, but does this incident really warrant space in a National newspaper? Was this really one of the most important events of that day?

Why even put it out there on social media in the first place? The dimwit must have very little in her self-obsessed life if she considered this to be so important that she had to tell the world about it. Get a life, woman; go and find something that really matters to complain about.

How do people, obviously intelligent enough to gain a qualification in journalism, become so lazy and disinterested in what they could be publishing that they spend their lives make a living by searching for, and writing, C R A P like this? A media-savvy ten year old could do it just as well.

I wonder if they could handle a proper job? Based on my experiences of journalists, including locally, the answer is definitely no.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 09:12
Grasshopper,

We are talking about Saffron from Cheltenham in the Daily Wail. Against that back drop, important news could never take priority(Sm163)

The last time the Mail created such a storm was when the WI suggested they may drop Jerusalem as their song. Rural, Home county meltdown ensued.

5 minutes of fame comes to mind.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 09:21
The only good thing about it is that it gives us the excuse for some harrumphing and outraged indignation on here.

I’m really surprised that our resident poet laureate hasn’t burst into verse....

Toes
Cheltenham
Wagamama
Potgieter

all offer some excellent rhyming possibilities.

TVM Rides Again....Again
28 November, 2017 10:27
In lieu - I'll have a bash

There was a young man from Durban*
Who had trouble keeping his shoes on
He insulted a local
who got really quite vocal
On account that his feet had perturbed 'em

(*Port Elizabeth doesn't scan)

MESSAGES->author
Grasshopper (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 11:32
Yes TT - and I really enjoyed it , too. I love the opportunity of slagging off, well, I nearly called them Journalists, but most are no more than reporters - they merely pass messages on.

They frequently get the facts wrong or invent them when they haven't got all the information. If you've ever been involved in any stores which have hit the media, you will already know that most people they hurt with their lies and inaccuracies have almost no way of getting the real truth to those that have read the stories and taken them as wholly truthful.

Unfortunately, I know this from personal experience - end of rant.

PS LOL TVM!

worcestawarrior
worcestawarrior (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 12:35
Quote:
ROLLO
I presume he was in Worcester rather than Cheltenham so at least a bonus point for that ?

No Wagamama's in Worcester so no bonus point

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 12:39
Go on then:

A young man by the name of Potgeiter
Lived in Cheltenham, known for its glamour
And being a prodigious eater
Decided to try Wagamama.

He’d been told “raise your feet, when you’re able”
And so, being nobody’s fool
He sat at a restaurant table
With his naked feet perched on a stool.

Now this surely called for a stricture
From a woman, all twisted and bitter
But instead she just took a quick picture
And angrily posted on Twitter.

The Mail, to put it no finer,
Was glad to reprint her distress
So don’t show your feet in a diner;
You’ll only end up in the press.

TVM Rides Again....Again
28 November, 2017 12:44
High quality smiling smiley

TVM Rides Again....Again
28 November, 2017 12:46
bringing the tone down again...

There was a South African flanker
Who managed to cause some rancour
He got out his feet
When we were trying to eat
Now everyone thinks he's a silly boy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/11/2017 12:47 by TVM Rides Again.

Sutton Warrior
Sutton Warrior (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 12:57
Does anyone come out of this very well? I think not. Bare feet on seat in restaurant - why?

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 13:14
TVM for Laureate

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 14:50
Dewald had his feet up as he was recovering from surgery for a dislocated knee cap and needed to raise his foot for pain relief.. He put his coat on the chair. His big toe is a victim of his trade...

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 15:01
Well done all bards!

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 15:28
There is a way
To eat your Braai,
When dining on The Cape

You may expose
Your feet and toes,
No-one will be agape.

But this is not acceptable
In places that are posher
And Wagamama Cheltenham
Is no al-fresco nosher

You should take care
and be aware,
Keep on your
socks and shoes

Or you will end up
In The Mail,
And on this forum,
Much abused.

TVM Rides Again....Again
28 November, 2017 16:20
Quote:
Powick Eastander
Dewald had his feet up as he was recovering from surgery for a dislocated knee cap and needed to raise his foot for pain relief.. He put his coat on the chair. His big toe is a victim of his trade...

I'd still cover it up though. Just my tuppence

ETA: It's the uncoveredness that is the thing people find off-putting, rather than the elevation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 28/11/2017 16:58 by TVM Rides Again.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 16:25
Quote:
Powick Eastander

Think you’re on your own on this one PE.

He didn’t “need” to go to Wagamama did he? He chose to go, and then behaved without any regard to ordinary politeness.

TVM Rides Again....Again
28 November, 2017 17:04
Uncovered my feet
A lady got offended
Now I need my shoes

God haikus are boring

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 17:30
But very cultural.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 23:16
Quote:
Grasshopper
I suppose that it shouldn't surprise me, but does this incident really warrant space in a National newspaper?

AFAICS, this wasn't in the Daily Mail, assuming that was the 'National Newspaper' you were referring to?

By no means defending the Daily Mail, but it was in the Daily Mail Online which, as any Private Eye reader will tell you, is a totally different bottom-feeding animal. They are simply click-bait publishers, and regularly advertise on social media that they will pay £££ for 'your stories' - especially if they have pix attached. I suspect this may have influenced the author's contribution as much as seeing her name in 'print'.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 00:08
He's going to have to "toe" the line when he returns!

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 00:09
And "nail" down his place!

Brummagem Bertie
29 November, 2017 07:10
If he doesn't want to become just another footnote in Warriors history.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 07:22
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
If he doesn't want to become just another footnote in Warriors history.
Ha Ha! That's cute-ical....;-)

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 07:23
@ least he has a sole....

TVM Rides Again....Again
29 November, 2017 07:41
This is getting corn-y

Southstand(again)
29 November, 2017 08:27
Quote:
TeflonTed
Quote:
Powick Eastander

Think you’re on your own on this one PE.

He didn’t “need” to go to Wagamama did he? He chose to go, and then behaved without any regard to ordinary politeness.

Actually Ted I agree with PE. I wouldn't be offended by it.

I very much doubt Dewald would have done it if he hadn't got a problem with his leg and foot.

Wagamama is hardly "fine dining" and I certainly wouldn't have minded if I was sat opposite - even if I hadn't known who he was.

Perhaps we should be banning people in plaster casts or wheelchairs from using restaurants if they look a bit "Iffy" ? - after all they don't really need to go to these places do they ?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 08:38
Always good to hear both sides of the opinion spectrum SS.

(Opinion spectrum??....not sure about that.)

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 09:18
Would be interesting to how the little princess would manage in Japan when you regularly sit down to eat in public in your dressing gown (Yukata) and expose all kind of things you shouldn't. Also how does she manage when on holiday. I guess standards must be slipping in Cheltenham, I blame it on all the rugby players living there.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 09:20
Due to inadequate access in most instances, not many folk in casts or wheelchairs bother to fight past steps into restaurants, single doors that cannot be easily opened on by the person attempting to enter, and then the stupid seating arrangements in such places, i doubt these people would need an official ban....they've just had to find somewhere else many moons ago.

What's not being 'fine dining' got to do with it by the way? Look forward to plenty of folk getting their feet out at Friday's game as a gesture of support for Dewald if that is the case...

Southstand(again)
29 November, 2017 10:12
Flippy, I was referring to the casual nature of Wagamama dining.

I suffer from something called "post-thrombotic syndrome"

Not looking for sympathy but It's a very painful condition I was left with following a dvt and pulmonary embolism.

One of the symptoms is oedema in my right leg and foot which often precludes my wearing socks and means wearing shoes a size or two bigger.

As the condition gets worse during the day it does get very painful and I have been known to do the "unforgivable".

If anyone comes across a size 10 in the Southstand - it's mine (Sm163)

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 12:32
Quote:
Southstand(again)
Flippy, I was referring to the casual nature of Wagamama dining.
I suffer from something called "post-thrombotic syndrome"

Not looking for sympathy but It's a very painful condition I was left with following a dvt and pulmonary embolism.

One of the symptoms is oedema in my right leg and foot which often precludes my wearing socks and means wearing shoes a size or two bigger.

As the condition gets worse during the day it does get very painful and I have been known to do the "unforgivable".

If anyone comes across a size 10 in the Southstand - it's mine (Sm163)
Piece of boring info; I'm a size 12/13.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 12:46
SS,

Wasn't a dig per se at you. It was my interpretation on it not being top nosh establishment, so this action by Dewald was acceptable. Nor would i suggest that those affected by conditions should not visit establishments.

There is an element of this being a typical Daily Wail reader issue, and it being what might be considered, not the norm, by Dewald. He may have been able to wear a sock, but probably followed the default position for rugby players and had turned up in his flip flops (excuse the unintended pun).

I dare say if he had asked to sit out of the way to avoid potential issues with others eating in the restaurant, while he got his toes out, staff may have been able to accommodate that request.

I doubt that, despite your own condition and the pain it can cause, that you just whip your feet or foot out in a demonstration of 'pedi-magic' for all to behold, whether they want to or not.

In this instance, neither party seem to have spoken to anyone about the incident until the news broke in the Wail. Maybe overreaction theatre in play, but i tend to think your ongoing circumstance is more acceptable as a basis for doing this kind of thing in the public.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 13:28
Could this be a cultural issue? Are bare feet perfectly fine in South Africa but not the done thing in the UK? I know in some countries it is exceptionally rude to do what Dewald did.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 13:30
How cab you take seriously anything said by a woman called Saffron?
(Sm159)

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 13:31
But if the shoe was on the other foot..... ;-)
Last "footgate" pun.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 18:06
Quote:
Patgadd
How cab you take seriously anything said by a woman called Saffron?
(Sm159)

Perhaps she suffers from e-taxia?

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 18:23
Actually, I really shouldn't have said that. I apologise to her and her brother, Turmeric.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 18:57
Ah, that’s the root of the problem.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 20:07
Quote:
Patgadd
Actually, I really shouldn't have said that. I apologise to her and her brother, Turmeric.
I've herb it all before....

TVM Rides Again....Again
29 November, 2017 21:05
Well you've been around a long thyme

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 21:31
Dill we meet again....

Brummagem Bertie
29 November, 2017 22:55
A rather sage comment, if I may say ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net