rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

usa warrior
Signings and DOR
usa warrior (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 07:27
Few more bits of insight from GG.

[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

Brummagem Bertie
Re: Signings and DOR
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 08:42
Nothing surprising, really. Wouldn't have expected him to say much else to be honest.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 08:45
No, last time he said we would be hearing about signings in the next month it was that very day if I recall? Here's hoping!!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 13:25
[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

Hammond on other clubs radar? Not sure if this is news or pure speculation.

Wouldn't surprise me. He seems to score, but allegedly the reluctance to make him first choice is down to his lesser defence skills (based on musings on here rather than personal insight).

It is not the first season where he has set a trail to the try line, but not been picked consistently. He may just decide that this is the time to move if he isn't getting any warm fuzzy feeling from the club on his future.

He could be one that slips away. I've not seen enough of Howe to suggest that he is Prem standard yet, to match Dean's standard at present, albeit that age is on Tom's side. We need to be able to keep players like Dean IMO as our Back up if first picks are injured or called up, but balancing that for Management is not easy, and for players who believe they are more than good enough, it is difficult to accept not being first pick too.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 13:39
Can't keep everyone and he's on a par with Humphrey's with me. Howe will develop into a good one also.

Dean won't want to play second fiddle forever and who could blame him.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 15:34
Quote:
FlipFlop
http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/sport/15688380.Worcester_Warriors__Northampton_Saints_understood_to_be_tracking_Dean_Hammond
He seems to score, but allegedly the reluctance to make him first choice is down to his lesser defence skills (based on musings on here rather than personal insight)..

Musings based on a very clear statement by Hoggy at the open Q&A.

Harsh, but undeniably true. Whether the criticism of DHís defence is fair or not is clearly a matter of opinion though.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 15:41
Saints will be linked for most wingers in world rugby until the start of next season. Hammond is a good try scorer but not in the class of Heem or Adams, a very good back up but he probably wants to be a starter.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 09:28
I appreciate we can't keep everyone, but how do we build squad depth if more players take a similar view to Dean?

Whilst i would not suggest that the brakes have been taken off Defence duties in recent games, GG is on record as suggesting that via AS, the team have gone back to attacking strengths of late. In that environment, Dean's alleged lack of defence skills then becomes less of an issue, doesn't it?

Dean may not be in the class of Heem or Adams, but Heem's only just recovered from a long injury lay off, Adams has been at FB due to CP, and Deans been bringing home the tries in Perry's injury absence.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 09:56
What I never understand is why players who can't get into our 1st XV think they can get into the 1st XV of a club higher up the table. Is it our coaches, or the player, who's missing something? Or, being cynical, do agents get a bonus every time a player moves club?

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 09:58
It's probably for the best that our players don't think so badly of themselves fiver....

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 10:10
I guess it depends how marginal selection is in the relevant positions. How far is the gap between Josh, Perry and Dean? I'd suggest not an awful lot, but I don't know as much as the coaches.

It would be a shame to lose Dean, but if we're too well stocked at wing then at least one of them will try elsewhere to see if they can get 1st team action. Saints seem to be struggling in terms of North leaving (missing key to the Ferrari) and Pisi being past his best (if the game the other week is anything to go by). I don't really know much about their other wingers other than Collins. A quick look on their website suggests a lack of depth at 11 & 14.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 10:25
We didnít just win due to our attack last week. We defended for pretty much the whole of the second half, and very well. Both our attack and defence has improved in parallel.

Heem and Adams cannot be dropped at the moment and in all honesty I donít see Hammond starting for many other teams in the prem.

As an aside Heems defence isnít exactly top notch at times. The way a second row stepped him to score last weekend was pretty average. I donít think itís just that keeping Hammond out.

kceWarrior
kceWarrior (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 10:56
Dean is a decent try scorer when getting on the end of a flowing team move. However I don't think he is as good at making line breaks and creating something out of nothing as Heem & Adams (both showed that skill last week for tries 3 and 4) or even Perry.

he's a more than capable deputy in the absence of Adams or Heem, but I think we so lose some cutting edge when he plays.

I'm actually more worried about our stock at full-back. Adams has nowhere near the same impact at 15 as he does on the wing. I'm not sure what the more permanent plan is for replacing CP.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 11:21
Howard looks to be off this year and, unfortunately, he has never been able to fill CP's boots.

Think we need to look outside for a ready made replacement.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 12:13
Humphries at fullback for me

JP

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 12:16
I recall that he did get a few games there previously but has since been overlooked in favour of Adams.

The other option is Shillcock who did brilliantly there last season. Still not entirely sure where his future position lies.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 12:28
I think Perry has been injured in some cases, so may be more of the reason he didn't get the shout at FB, and hence why JA had to fill CP's boots.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 13:23
Both Perry and Jamie have done very well at full back. However, we technically only have 2 on our books, and unfortunately Ben isn't going to make it as a premiership full back as things stand. That leaves Chris.

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 15:32
To be fair to Ben, has he ever had a reasonable run of games at FB in the Prem for us? He was an England U20 full back, let's not forget!

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 16:20
Quote:
Drahm for England
To be fair to Ben, has he ever had a reasonable run of games at FB in the Prem for us? He was an England U20 full back, let's not forget!

Thought he played on the wing in the U20 World Cup?

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 16:45
Wouldn't say it's Hammonds wing defence holding him back, more like his defence at centre - as said above Heem and Adams create tries out of nothing and are in great form, but Hammond is on par with them IMO, but whilst he waits he will get used in both positions. Would rather keep Hammond than Howe, Tom seems a step backwards from what I've seen compared to our first 4 wingers.

Howard just isn't good enough at the basics of being a fullback, he's a good winger but as a prem fullback you just don't drop anything, and he still does.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 18:55
Really? Toms impressed with the opportunities heís had I feel.

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 20:39
I'm not saying he's been bad, but he hasn't been better than Heem, Adams, Hammond or Humphries imo.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 08:23
Quote:
Warrior7
I'm not saying he's been bad, but he hasn't been better than Heem, Adams, Hammond or Humphries imo.

Maybe not - but players 'mature' at different points. You need to invest time in youngsters to get the best from them - i think you are being premature when dismissing him because he isn't finished yet.

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 08:37
Academy FB Nick David could be ready to step up. Looked good for the U18s last year.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 09:04
Correct Garym he played on the wing, which is where he originally played for Wuss back in Hill's era.
I think that Hammond has a lot to offer and is the sort of player we should be looking to keep.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 09:18
From what I've seen of Ollie Lawrence in the A-League I think he deserves a chance off the bench in one of the cup competitions at least.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 10:19
He has done I think. Went well if I remember correctly.

Played against Sale and scored on his debut.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 13:04
Quote:
usa warrior
He has done I think. Went well if I remember correctly.
Played against Sale and scored on his debut.
Ah yes.Thank you.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 13:21
He looks a very good prospect.

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 06:45 by Faithful_City.

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 00:29
Hasn't Ben Howard been injured recently and is now off on 7's duty?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 09:13
Quote:
Big Bird Warrior
Hasn't Ben Howard been injured recently and is now off on 7's duty?

Well if he is they need to update their website

[www.englandrugby.com]#

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 10:16
He was named last week in the squad for today's Dubai 7s:

Tom Bowen, Phil Burgess, Richard de Carpentier, Will Edwards, Harry Glover, Ben Howard, Ollie Lindsay-Hague, Tom Mitchell (c), Ruaridh McConnochie, Dan Norton, James Rodwell, Ethan Waddleton.

[www.englandrugby.com]

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 10:20
Thanks Abberley, bit of IT disconnect going on there!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 21:38
Alex Codling extends his contract at Ealing.

Thereís one that was on our original forum DOR list.

We must be close to an appointment/announcement?!?

Whereís Guerrier gone?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net