rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
Lineout
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 00:13
What happened tonight with the throwing or organistion?

NW2
Re: Lineout
NW2 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 08:50
Shockingly bad!
Closely followed by our scrummaging.
If you can't win your own ball from set piece or capitalise on it when you do, you have no chance of winning a game, particularly against a defence that play the way Sales's did.
We were crap!

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 13:21
Agree our lineout was poor.
Sometimes due to the jumper or the throw or the landing or the passes.
Almost seems we were destined to mess it up.
But did anyone notice Sales tactics to our rolling maul?
One of their players falls in front of our maul before it goes forwards. It then hits their player & either stops or collapses. I don't know the legality of it, but it worked 4 out of 5 times & ref never blew up.
But on the 5th time he did talk to their captain & I don't think they did it again.
But is it legal?

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 13:29
It wasn't legal but they got away with it.

GI Joes throwing is always slightly dodgey and sale are good at targeting people's line outs.

Was one of many areas they outsmarted us and played the ref well.

vigorniensis
vigorniensis (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 13:38
One certainly sees it in football these days that players are totally over-coached, to the point which their own flair and knowledge of their ability is, quite simply, coached out of them. Evidence? Just look at the style of every football team these days and they all play the interminable passing game, and interminable because players' minds are frozen by drills after drills after drills on the training ground and they daren't try anything out of the ordinary and have stopped looking for opportunity or even recognising it when opportunity arises.

I think we are seeing exactly the same appear in rugby. With rare exceptions players have stopped thinking for themselves and are almost playing the game by numbers. So when something isn't working the players appear at a loss to change strategy without a half-time chat from the boss. This is surely a job for the captain and his job is not only one of geeing up the troops when they are flagging.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 14:10
I know someone else said it on another thread but I also can't believe we went for a lineout with that last penalty, that seemed to me to show our players weren't responding to the way the game was going.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 16:13
GG referred to poor decision making so that decision at the end must be one of those.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 17:19
Sadly the line out control that we had at the end of last season went with Vui.

epsom
epsom (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 19:06
We lost several lineouts on our thrown when the ball was thrown to the middle of the lineout. Their lock stole the ball. So after he had done it twice, the decision making to keep throwing it there was crass. So what did they do on the last line out, the same and he stole it again. Who calls the lineouts. No good blaming the hooker. He throws where he is told to.

Very poor decision making. Mills took the option for the penalty to be taken out wide. As captain at the time should he have indicated to the linout caller do not throw to the middle of the lineout, keep it short to ensure we win the ball

Rant over

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 19:54
No he should have taken the scrum in front of the posts. Absolute no brainer.

MESSAGES->author
Bob (swatpo) (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 11:50
The lineout hasn't been particularly good all season.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 18:42
We've missed annett, he was our best hooker for lineouts, singleton is progressing nicely but he's still young and it's unfair to expect him to be faultless.

GI Joes throwing only seems to work when he starts matches.

Chris1850
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 19:37
We (Sale) also have one of the best lineout exponents in the Prem in Bryn Evans.

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 22:07
Quote:
ROLLO
Sadly the line out control that we had at the end of last season went with Vui.
Our biggest recent loss in my humble opinion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net