rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
Yes, It was bad but...
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 17:22
no matter how pi55ed some of us may feel, or ow disappointed (Sm135) we are at the way we lost.

There is no doubting the fact we are yet another point further away from Irish and boy is that important.

Onwards to the meeting of the two most important clubs in the Prem Worcester v Irish - 22 Dec. we need to fill Sixways and make it rock.

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 07:20 by Faithful_City.

Tarbert RG
Re: Yes, It was bad...
Tarbert RG (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 20:59
11 pts in 3 matches, LI only took 2. So not completely pi55ed.

Thought the crowd was going to be bigger last night on the back of two very good wins.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Yes, It was bad but...
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 10:09
Following events at Castle Grim yesterday it seems almost certain that Irish will be missing Captain David Paice on the 22nd.

Irish are not massively impressed this morning, one poster says:-

ďHe's always been like that and has probably been emboldened due to his close ties to the amigos. He's a poundshop Dylan Hartley.Ē

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 14:28
Quote:
TeflonTed
Following events at Castle Grim yesterday it seems almost certain that Irish will be missing Captain David Paice on the 22nd.
Irish are not massively impressed this morning, one poster says:-

ďHe's always been like that and has probably been emboldened due to his close ties to the amigos. He's a poundshop Dylan Hartley.Ē
" Pound Shop Dylan Hartley ". O dear!
Not that bad @ Sixways is it?!

MESSAGES->author
Master Warrior (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 14:35
Ticket office reckon it will be a sell out on the 22nd, so that should make for a good atmosphere.

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 16:30
There is no but

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
03 December, 2017 19:15
Quote:
Eternal optimist
There is no but

You're not really living up to your username there.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:15
Are we happy with 11th every year and 1 point gained at home against a team who played nearly half the match with 14 men can be seen as positive. Not for me we should have beaten Sale and we should be looking up the league to see who we can catch not down it to see what the gap between us and relegation is. Lets change our mentality as supporters, I expect us to win our home games.

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:41
.... or you could have spent a fortune to be in Oz to watch all 5 tests, as a friend of mine has!

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:44
ooof.....at least he gets some sun

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:48
Quote:
Garym
.... or you could have spent a fortune to be in Oz to watch all 5 tests, as a friend of mine has!
Why travel 12000 miles too see your team lose when I can travel 20 miles to Sixways to see my team lose?

yellow450
Yeller (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 09:58
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Are we happy with 11th every year and 1 point gained at home against a team who played nearly half the match with 14 men can be seen as positive. Not for me we should have beaten Sale and we should be looking up the league to see who we can catch not down it to see what the gap between us and relegation is. Lets change our mentality as supporters, I expect us to win our home games.

This is something I have wailed on about for years. David Flatman also stated on last nights Channel 5 highlights that the inconsistency at Worcester has to be psychological.
From the bad starts to seasons changing to world beaters, such as the mini revival last season when there is nothing to lose and then to the last two performances adds weight to this view.
As supporters we should demand performances such as the one at Leicester rather than be so happy when it does happen because of its rare nature.
I also believe that if you, hypothetically, put any one Worcester player into any of the top English sides in their favoured position, that the side receiving the player would not be weakened. Therefore, as a collection of players, we should be doing better than 11th and the mindset is the barrier.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 10:06
I don't believe that the performance was psychological at all. I firmly believe that that performance was physical fatigue. They have had several tough games recently and were just a step off which was the difference between last weeks precision and this weeks inaccuracy.

Still looked like they were trying the same things, but the energy levels were just not there.

And we still could have taken the points at the end there.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 10:09
Fatigue isn't just physical either. Decision making is often affected.

MESSAGES->author
04 December, 2017 10:33
USA if our players cannot play 3 games in 3 weeks then I really worry about the club, if we cannot rotate a few players in and out the starting line up without it meaning the team cannot compete on the pitch then itís no surprise we are 11th every year.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 11:23
Well can we rotate? I'd say not at this stage.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 11:31
We havn't just played the All Blacks twice, as I posted on the injuries thread, perhaps shpuld have put it on this one.

MESSAGES->author
04 December, 2017 11:32
Quote:
usa warrior
Well can we rotate? I'd say not at this stage.

Not even 2 or 3 players just to keep some freshness in the team? Thats a real worry for me.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 11:35
How do you break the losing mentality at Sixways WBW?

Over the last 10 years, we've been relegated 2, gained promotion, rarely finished above 10th in the Prem, and had 5 coaches and over 100 players...oh and a new owner of the club.

Even bouncy, positive bunnies like FH cannot ensure a consistent return to winning ways.

Interestingly, GG suggested he was happy that the players chose not to take the Pens, but go for tries. It is positive, but i can't help but think that if you keep the points clicking over, that is positive for us, and negative for the opposition. Tries will most likely follow as well. While we are still trying to piece ourselves together as a club, and potentially the players as well, i think we need to go for a pragmatic route to winning, even if it doesn't enthrall spectators.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 11:47
AS I posted elsewhere we were out coached on the night.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 12:32
While Sale had their game plan, 23 Warriors couldn't work out how to get around 14-22.

There should have been enough wise heads from Warriors without needing GG or Omar coaching from the touchline during the game.

We clearly couldn't breach Sale defence easily. So not sure why the Catch and drive was employed ad infinitum.

We got the old 'sleepy start' syndrome back by conceding early.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 12:36 by FlipFlop.

MESSAGES->author
04 December, 2017 13:22
FlipFlop itís a fair question and not one I have the answer to really. I suppose the only way to break the losing mentality at Sixways is to make winning a habit and not take any positives from losing games like Friday night. That could be down to personality within the squad, I get the impression that DOC doesnít like losing and is not use to it but are too many of our players used to failure? For me I can accept losing matches it happens and sometimes you come up against a team who are just better than you, if we put in full effort, play well and still lose then at least you can say what more could we have done? That was not the case on Friday night, rugby is a scoreboard game we probably should have taken more penalty kicks to keep the scoreboard moving and hoped the pressure took its toll on Sale.

Itís very easy to change things when sat in an office on a computer and probably much harder in the cold hard reality of a sports club that has constantly been fighting relegation. With a new Chief executive who is very competitive already in place, a new DOR needed and new owners hopefully on the way in perhaps that can be the catalyst for change required at Warriors.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 13:25
WBW we have heard nothing from or about Gus in weeks, is he still with us?

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 13:32
Quote:
ROLLO

Still writes in the programme - some moaned about JOTs communications style and we now have what was asked for - complete silence. Bring back JOT

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 13:38
I never complained.
Jim was often around at games, have never clapped eyes on Gus, where does he hide away?

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 14:06
Quote:
ROLLO
I never complained.
Jim was often around at games, have never clapped eyes on Gus, where does he hide away?

in his little Ivory Tower - reeks of management practice from the 70's. It is almost like he doesn't see the ordinary fan as being important or part of his remit to keep happy. Very disappointed in him to date, albeit that he has had some big issues to contend with.

MESSAGES->author
04 December, 2017 14:07
Quote:
ROLLO

Very much so he was at the game Friday night, in fairness I dont think he has much to talk to us about considering he is non rugby side related.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 14:11
WBW, i know you are only raising a question that many have raised personally or on here before.

As a plan, keeping the scoreboard ticking over, has to be the answer at present. The team are still finding their way in games at present, and until assured, take the Pens when they can. Easy for the oppo to combat of course- just keep the pens in our half, but Friday gave us chances to do this, Pennell seems to be doing okay with the duty at present in the absence of a 10 who can kick from the Tee,s o cannot see why we didn't just try and keep it simpler.

Going for the big points is brave and ambitious by the team, with the Captain backing the others to deliver. However, when it doesn't work, plan B and C and.... need to be applied.

World Cups have been won with scoreboard pressure, so it's not a bad place to build a foundation from IMO. Tough on the eyes maybe, but on Warriors supporters could complain about winning with dour, kicking rugby(Sm100)

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 14:17
Quote:
Garym
Quote:
ROLLO

Still writes in the programme - some moaned about JOTs communications style and we now have what was asked for - complete silence. Bring back JOT

Is there not a happy medium between silence and communication that often ended in very public twitter spats.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 14:23
Quote:
FlipFlop
There should have been enough wise heads from Warriors without needing GG or Omar coaching from the touchline during the game.

I commented here after the Northampton game that Omar was very animated on the touchline - to the extent that he was spoken to by the 4th Official several times and spent the final 10 minutes apparently banished to Barstanders area.

It was immediately noticeable on Friday how subdued he was by comparison - and I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor in the difference in results.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 14:35
Abberley I noticed the same thing with Omar, whereas the Sale touchline were very vocal , albeit that they were told by the 4th official to move their chairs away from the line.

WS yes there is a happy medium which to date I don't think we are getting.

WBW I would suggest then that Gus makes an appearance on the West Side and specifically in the International Bar. This season we have not seen a single player in there or Beth who was a regular visitor last season.

MESSAGES->author
04 December, 2017 14:50
Quote:
FlipFlop
Tough on the eyes maybe, but on Warriors supporters could complain about winning with dour, kicking rugby(Sm100)

Sarries were tough on the eyes a few years ago when they started there rise to the top but it worked for them they won a lot of games with very few tries but I suppose they did have a kicker who was reliable from the tee, perhaps that is our greatest requirement to change the fortunes of the club, a reliable kicker. Although it should be said that is hardly great insight and clearly has been an issue for a few years now.

ROLLO Ė Perhaps email Gus if you want to invite him for a drink. That said no idea who he was with on Friday night for all we know the club could have been entertaining potential new owners, sponsors etc.

22miles
The Third R (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 14:53
Quote:
ROLLO
I never complained.

We bumped into Gus after the game at Welford Road. He was very happy and animated - clearly very engaged with the team and the rugby, even if it's not his job.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 14:59
Gus made it clear from the outset he would comment via official channels on club issues in contrast to his predecessor, who he deemed unprofessional in his approach.

An evening with Gus McKay give little insight into his comms style, as BB and Hogg did not of the chat with guests, which was a concern.

A couple of off field link ups with Corporate partners, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I cannot believe his in tray is empty in his role. Not sure as to how involved he may be with the sale, dealing with potential purchasers etc, but you just do not hear anything from him, or quotes attributed to him.

JOT, Glossop for a time, even Little appeared to be frequent commentators on matters at the club. Now it's either GG or BB.

However....the under belly of the team need to tackle Oyannax this weekend. Well Matt Hopper won't be visiting us as according to Oyannax web, he's ruptured cruciate ligaments.

As with Brive when they visited, Oyannax are now bottom of T14, so hoping we can perform to get ECC momentum up and running, although the alternatives to our first choice are pretty threadbare too.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 15:14
Denton in the WEN saying Friday's result was a reality check. Why?

GG had allegedly been telling the players to "stay grounded" all week. What part of that message did they not get?

Maybe there is a mentality issue at Sixways with the players if this kind of article is to go by.

GG will have no doubt returned home for the next week along with senior players, so no real chance to 'tear a strip or two' off players who thought the team had 'turned the corner' based on 2 victories.

Chances are they may not have learned the lesson in time for the game v Irish(Sm17)

Even if we do get victory against Irish, the team then need to want to win again, and again and repeat.

Last time we won 3 Prem games in a row was March 2016 and we provided Sale with their first away victory since October 2016.....and they did it 14 on the pitch and their coach not even at the ground.

J6/7
J6/7 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 16:24
I am quite happy with the manner in which Gus conducts himself.

I always felt that JOT let himself down badly and the club with his frequent employment of twitter & facebook!

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 16:30
Keeping the scoreboard ticking over is how England under Woodward won so many games.

Get the game won first then worry about scoring tried was one of his mantras iirc.

But to do this you need a reliable kicker, which England had and we donít.

So what do you need to do to score points? Score tries. Which is harder Iíd say.

Bit of a vicious circle.

For however good he was in the two previous matches, Lance wasnít so good in the last. Which brings us back to the unanswered problem of the last few seasons - WE NEED A DECENT 10!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 16:40
Quote:
ROLLO
I never complained.

Jim still is. Walked in with him on Friday.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 17:30
The reality check that was mentioned was I believe the players were thinking they could run trys in for fun, on a cold Friday night we tried too many times to force things rather than steadily building pressure.

If we could make difficult kicks it would be a great way to build pressure but as we don't have a quality kicker going for the corner makes sense, but some teams with good defensive lineouts, like sale, will be able to target ours and it will severely neuter us.

As for the quality of our players we still have one of the weakest sides on paper, if you asked a sale fan how many of our players they'd like I can't imagine it would be many and I imagine the same is true for every side in the premiership, we hardly signed first team players from other side's.

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
04 December, 2017 22:10
Quote:
dkexile
Quote:
Eternal optimist
There is no but

You're not really living up to your username there.
I was until very recently. I canít think 🤔 what bought about the change in mindset though

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net