rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
Ringers
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 10:29
Get the cheque book out and bring in three/four ringers to play from mid jan to mid March. Get them bedded in for the 4 games during the 6nations.

Four games during 6nations win those and we are safe.

JP

usa warrior
Re: Ringers
usa warrior (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 10:37
Have a feeling reinforcements will be coming after Christmas.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 13:28
Once the 6 Nations is over and teams are at full strength and no injuries we may find things more difficult, need to maximise points while they are being played

MESSAGES->author
drifter (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 15:42
agreed. get at least 4 in.

MESSAGES->author
05 December, 2017 16:10
Some playing around with numbers.

Hire 4 mercenaries(Ringers) for a 10 game contract.

Pay them £10,000 per game with a £5,000 per game win bonus = £400,000 + win bonuses. Say we win 50% of games thats another £100,000 = £500,000 total.

5 of the games being home fixtures, so how many more paying customers do we need to fund it at say a match spend of £30.

500,000/5/45 = 2,222.

Average attendance is @6,500 and we know we can get up towards 10,000 if we go on a winning streak and have 4 world class players playing. Therefore I would suggest it would be self funding.

However, even if we end up paying 25% of the bill it would still be a damn good investment to keep us in the Premiership and possible loss of income if we are relegated.

JP

Villages12
Villages12 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 16:30
I think you may be forgetting the other members of the squad in your scheme ? The bonus scheme would surely have to be across the entire squad and those paid significantly less than £10k per game would be understandably upset as they would have played a part in the success or failure as the case may be.

If you wanted to do this surely you employ based on low salary and high bonus payments for success, then it looks relatively reasonable. The only question is where do we get four people that would do such a deal and take the risk involved ?

The only way to do this would be to include the whole squad and then your numbers would soon become much less achievable. ?

I think your proposed scheme would ruin morale throughout the squad at a time when we need everyone to be on board and fighting for each other.

Sorry to be the killjoy !

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 16:36
Rather than focus on the costs, should we not focus on our relative weaknesses.

1. Lineout - a top lineout forward like Vui last year
2. Prop - if Schonert is badly injured we need an experienced tighthead
3. Fly-half - replacement for Lance. Consistent goalkicking essential.
4. Centre - cover in midfield. We only have Mills and Willison and the moment and they can't play every game.

MESSAGES->author
05 December, 2017 19:25
Villages, they are private contracts therefore nobody should see them.

I am sure no one knows what Lance is being paid.

JP

Moyles
Moyles (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 19:51
Why is the £500k divided by 45?

Old 7
Old 7 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 19:59
Quote:
Moyles
Why is the £500k divided by 45?

I think it should be the £30 supporter spend per game so actually around 3,333 extra attendees required

MESSAGES->author
05 December, 2017 20:27
Entrance plus a food and drink.

JP

Moyles
Moyles (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 20:50
Chips are only £3.30 though.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 21:07
Quote:
Moyles
Sarcasm? ;-)

Villages12
Villages12 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 21:43
JP

I’m aware of contracts being confidential but people do talk and keeping stuff like that confidential is so unlikely.

But my real point is the fact that the suggested deal is unfair to the majority and one small leak blows the morale wide open.

Win bonuses are a good idea but they had better be fair.

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 21:50
Doesn't really add up does it.
Even if the chips go up to £3.65 on top of smaller portions.
But it did us all thinking about what ringers we would have. Well it did me anyway.
So why let facts get in the way of a good yarn.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 21:54
Do we all get paid the same as those all around us doing the same job? I think not. And what’s the difference in paying big bucks to quality guys coming in to rescue a sinking/failing ship, and FH (and probably Lance) being paid a shed load more than most others in the squad. That’s life. Some people are worth more than others.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 21:59
Jantjies tweeting about a “new chapter” yesterday. Could it be?

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 22:30
Quote:
usa warrior
Jantjies tweeting about a “new chapter” yesterday. Could it be?
Hmmmm....

MESSAGES->author
05 December, 2017 22:35
Not a scooby.

Moyles
Moyles (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 05:58
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
Moyles
Sarcasm? ;-)

;-)

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 07:16
Just out of interest....who is contractually at liberty to accept JPs largesse?

MESSAGES->author
06 December, 2017 08:11
A lot of SA’s, All Blacks, Aussie, Argentinians.

brianhadley
06 December, 2017 09:11
From someone down the pub last week who is the friend of a friend of a friend who has a friend in South Africa, 4 to come in Jan one a 10. Make of that information what you wil, sorry can't reveal source.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 09:11
Talking to bloke last night who knows nothing at all about rugby, but a lot about the horse racing game, and mentioned that we were here discussing “ringers”.

He said, “what, you’re going to take well known top level players and field them in disguise to confuse the opposition and upset the betting odds?”

I couldn’t sleep last night at the thought of Goodie corseted to pull in the gut, with loads of henna tattoos and a huge curlie Islander-style black wig running out at 10 with “Sinafotua Pa’aappapieboy” or similar on his shirt.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 10:29
Well if GG is scouring South Africa we need a 2,3,10 at least.

Again I'd heard some Afrikaaners are on their way....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2017 10:31 by knightstemplar.

TVM Rides Again....Again
06 December, 2017 10:54
Quote:
Faithful_City
A lot of SA’s, All Blacks, Aussie, Argentinians.

With the super rugby season starting in a little over 2 months time - the 'ringer' grade players will all be off to join up with their franchises pre season, ala Lance, presumably....

MESSAGES->author
06 December, 2017 12:00
Bung the the club a few silver shekels and who knows who could be available...

JP

TVM Rides Again....Again
06 December, 2017 13:18
I think wish may be father of the thought on that one JP.

To be honest, it would take more than 'a few silver sheckles' for the Hurricanes (for example) to release Beauden Barratt (for example) - and risk him getting injured and laid low for THEIR season, as well as taking away recovery time (and thereby increasing the risk of injury), in a famously abrasive league, where he WILL be targeted.

Unless you are paying silly money, really silly money, they won't be interested. And do we want to pay really silly money for a few games?

Honestly - this place. We went from panicking, to plans for world domination and back to panicking again in 3 weeks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2017 13:25 by TVM Rides Again.

lawnsman
lawnsman (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 14:30
Excellent way to destroy morale, keep it up!!!(I hope not)

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 19:42
Looks like Jantjies is heading back to Japan.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 20:22
Quote:
usa warrior
Looks like Jantjies is heading back to Japan.
Source please?

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 20:38
His Twitter feed.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 20:50
Quote:
usa warrior
His Twitter feed.
Ok,thanks!

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 22:25
So players would rather play in Japan than in one of the world's toughest leagues in England? Are the wages really that high in Japan?

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 22:29
My thoughts too Fiver. How can Japan be first choice ahead of Super Rugby, the prem or top 14?

Another thing that is becoming more and more obvious is southern hemisphere players only staying in Super Rugby if they have a chance of getting in the international team. When they aren't in the international picture there seems to be a substantial number ready to move to japan/europe at the first opportunity. European players on the other hand seem to stay up here regardless.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 22:48
He’s played there before so going back, I believe.

TVM Rides Again....Again
06 December, 2017 23:05
If your focus is southern hemisphere Super Rugby - maybe a well paid stint in Japan to keep you sharp, but not take it out of you like the brutality of European League is just the ticket.

I can understand Southern Hemispher players prioritising Super Rugby, and in the modern era where sports science leads us to understand the human body - why would they want to put themselves through 'the toughest' 24/7? They'll just end their career early and miss out on Super Rugby...which is their focus.

Lets not forget - N. Hemisphere is still the pay day - not the glory for s. hemisphere nationals

Stay sharp, stay healthy, ready for Super Rugby and South Africa to come back round

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2017 23:07 by TVM Rides Again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net